PDA

View Full Version : just bought the triple pillar pod

-TEXAS2LO-
04-04-2007, 05:19 PM
With air/fuel, oil temp and oil pressure !!

is this shit easy or hard to install ?

Should I leave it to a shop ?

anybody has this done here ?

MPS
04-04-2007, 05:28 PM
i did mine well Jimmy did it for me @ Street Performance ... and this is not a do it ur self mod

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/axela1/DSC01434.jpg

Skarbro
04-04-2007, 05:33 PM
i did mine well Jimmy did it for me @ Street Performance ... and this is not a do it ur self mod

Almost any mod can be a DIY mod - they just have different levels of difficulty. This one can be done yourself if you know what you are doing.

wingnut12
04-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Any reason you chose that style over an A-pillar type?

How much it to install yours, Mazdaspeed?

cwp_sedan
04-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Electric gauges aren't really that hard to install, mechanical ones can be more difficult...but it just takes some planning and a little bit of time. As long as you know what wires you have to tap into and connections to look for they can be quite simple. A/F is probably one of the easiest. Oil pressure isn't that hard either. Changing out the sending unit is probably the most difficult part. I've never installed an oil temp gauge but I'm sure that's easier than the oil pressure gauge. Other than that, tapping into a fused switched connection is the last thing on the list. Pretty straight forward if you ask me. Just try to make it clean as possible.

If you can save yourself $100+ on an install go for it as long as you have some background knowledge/experience with wiring electronics. IMO I still think it's easy enough to do. Just the wiring takes a bit of time.

-TEXAS2LO-
04-04-2007, 10:52 PM
lookin good !

I got the A pillar one !
I guess I'll just go see a guy that knows what he's doing ..
You guys got soo many shops, we have shit all here in mtl

Wild Weasel
04-04-2007, 11:00 PM
I installed mechanical oil pressure and boost gauges in my car, and the AFR gauge. Not really difficult so long as you know what to look out for.

Of course, it may be entirely different and require a master mechanic on the 3. I rather doubt it though.

Ask around. There's gotta be someone either here or on M3F who can tell you exactly what you need and where and how it should be attached to the car.

PlatMS6
04-04-2007, 11:22 PM
installed mechanical oil pressure

SCARY

Wild Weasel
04-05-2007, 09:51 AM
SCARY

Not as long as you seal all your connections properly. Teflon tape is your friend. :chuckle

BLKOUT
04-05-2007, 09:56 AM
After seeing this thread I am having thoughts about getting the A pilar triple gauge, what would be the 3 best gauges to get?

cwp_sedan
04-05-2007, 10:17 AM
For just a Mz3, I would have to say oil pressure and tranny temp would be good options. Volt maybe if you have a stereo. A/F is useless unless you are boosted or are running heavy mods.

-TEXAS2LO-
04-05-2007, 10:23 AM
A/F is not useless if you don'T have a T ... it's not the most important but at least it has a real fonction to it. A boost guage is useless on NA cars hahaha

I got those : oilt temp, oil pressure and A/F since it's the nicest one loll

Wild Weasel
04-05-2007, 11:13 AM
The reason the AFR gauge is often considered useless for a lightly modded car is that there just generally isn't anything that can go seriously wrong. If something goes wrong affecting the AFR, the CEL will go on and you'll go get it checked out and fix it.

With boost, if some condition causes you to go lean while you're pushing extra air in (because you've modified the car to need more fuel) then you can do some serious damage very rapidly if you don't know about it.

Just my 2 cents on the topic. By all means get one anyway if you've got nothing more useful to put there.

Oil pressure is useful to know, especially considering people have killed engines on these cars by draining their oil out of broken filter housings.

A volt gauge is trivially useful, though probably more handy than the AFR gauge on a mostly stock car, especially if you do stereo or lighting mods.

-TEXAS2LO-
04-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Yup you are actually right !
But my CEL is always on hahahah

Anyways I really like the A/F meter since it's the one that has those little lights going up and down..
The ricer in me is coming out lol
j/k

MicroDude
04-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Jesse which ones did you get? glowshift or something better?

-TEXAS2LO-
04-05-2007, 03:55 PM
micro check your pm's on 3quebec

WLS ZMZM
05-14-2007, 02:39 PM
AFR's are wicked.... they may not serve a huge point unless the car has forced induction... but they are entertaining :chuckle when bored and sitting at a light.. you just watch it bounce :chuckle besides... it looks impressive hahahaha... Volt gauges are always a good choice.... have one on my civic... helped me figure out my alternator went!! otherwise wouldn't have known until the car died out on me... instead allowed me to get somewhere safe instead of being stuck on the 401... after the alternator died the volt meter just started dropping... as for the other gauge.... I'd say oil temp can be pretty good but again.. better on a forced induction car... for N/A usually most people go Air/Fuel and Volt as for doing it yourself... yikes... its not super difficult... but can become a real pain.... better to have it done properly and pay that little bit extra then not have it done right. Especially as most people run the AFR gauge to the O2 sensor in the car, unless you have a wideband O2 sensor you're not getting a proper reading.. which is why when I had mine done on my civic it was wired into the computer itself, so I could see what teh car was seeing(also less wires hanging around in the engine bay)

Wild Weasel
05-14-2007, 03:01 PM
AFR gauges get their signal from the O2 sensor. Getting it from the ECU won't be any more or less accurate than getting it directly from the sensor. Where do you think the ECU gets it? :)

If you have a wideband O2 sensor, then you need a wideband gauge that's compatable with it.

A volts gauge and an AFR gauge are the two dead simplest ones to install. It's once you get into tapping into stuff other than wires that things can get scary.

CanadaGTO
05-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Just to add my 2 cents in here. If you want an AFR gauge, especially for those boosted among us, I'd really recommend a wideband. The narrowbands will tell you the AFR is fine running in the 14:1 area when if you try that at WOT/full boost you'll toast your engine.

Narrowbands are good for visuals, but useless for practical readings.

Tokyo Drift
07-25-2007, 05:12 AM
i was planning to buy the tripple pillar pod, but my car has
side airbag so i gave up