PDA

View Full Version : How to replace No. 1 Engine Mount

Skarbro
04-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Just thought I would do a pre-emptive post prior to anyone tackling this. There's a lot of bad info on the Mazda3forums board

Just drive the car up on ramps, and undo the 2 bolts and remove the old mount. You may also have to remove the No 1 engine mount bracket as well that is bolted to the transmission like in these diagrams:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4858/dsc00107lb3.jpg

Then position the new mount in and follow the steps below.

Here are the torque specs and torquing order for this install (from my workshop manual). Notice that there are 2 different types of bolts that your car may have. You have to determine which you have and use the appropriate torque.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7672/motormountinstallob3.jpg

doughboyr6
04-06-2007, 12:49 PM
what did you get? AWR? i'm thinking of just getting the corksport insert

Skarbro
04-06-2007, 12:53 PM
I am getting the new softer Street Unit mount through CTA Patrique. Can't wait to try it out.

doughboyr6
04-06-2007, 05:30 PM
cool, let me know what your impressions are of it....

CanadaGTO
04-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Great post Skarbro :) Thanks for helping out with this.

mEtH
04-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Yah I am curious about the feedback in the cabin.

Skarbro
04-07-2007, 01:53 PM
It's a tad chilly outside today, and we're cleaning the house for our big Easter dinner tomorrow. I'll be putting it in tomorrow morning if it isn't snowing outside!

3GFX
04-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Can't wait for a review. Kinda wanna know what the affects (other than wheel hop) are diminished or arise.

Skarbro
04-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Well I ran into a problem with the SU mount install. You can read about it here:

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=168378

MAZDA Kitten
04-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Whats the benefits of having a "softer" engine mount?

Skarbro
04-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Whats the benefits of having a "softer" engine mount?

To put it in context - it's softer than the AWR mount, but much harder than the stock mount. The AWR mount makes for lots of vibrations because it is so hard. The Street Unit mount is softer so there are less vibrations than the AWR. For a small review of the Street Unit one, check out the link I previously posted.

Magitronic
04-10-2007, 10:17 AM
little concerned now after goin in on the group buy that its not one solid peice :x , alot of stress is gonna be put onto those 2 bolts .. hope it was throughly tested ...

CanadaGTO
04-10-2007, 10:21 AM
little concerned now after goin in on the group buy that its not one solid peice :x , alot of stress is gonna be put onto those 2 bolts .. hope it was throughly tested ...

Streetunit tested it on their car for quite a while, which is why it was delayed. Plus, since Vlad has already put his on, I figure if anyones gonna break it it'll be him :)

KeithB
04-15-2007, 07:21 AM
I can offer some info on engine mounts.
I did change mounts on an Integra when I had a turbo set-up.
I know it's not a Mzda but the effects are similar.
Had to reduce engine "twist" under boost.
It worked great to reduce engine movement and helped with wheel hop.
However, without the give of softer mounts, there is less room for "less than perfect" clutch use on gear changes.
On the track, that's fine but on the street...not so much.
Also, cabin noise was greatly increased as was interior vibration.
After a year, I had to fix rattles in interion panels.
This engine mount thing is something to be very careful in considering.
A "slightly" stiffer mount would be good but don't go too far.
Maybe just 2 of the most critical mounts at first and see what happens.
Lookigng forward to reports.