PDA

View Full Version : MazdaSpeed Exhaust

Fezuki
04-11-2007, 01:23 PM
I've just installed the MS CAI, and the Exhaust. The Exhaust actually is louder than what I expected. Does anyone know how long it takes before it mellows down, and how much quieter is actually gets?

Gizzmo_jr
04-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Is the exhaust all stainless?

DrunknFoo
04-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Give it a week to tame the beast.

FLIPDADY
04-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Give it a week to tame the beast.
+1

FLIPDADY
04-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Is the exhaust all stainless?
Yes.

Fezuki
04-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the reply, i'll give it a week and see if it quiets down. Is there any way to make it quieter like a silencer or what not? If it doesn't quiet down a significant amount, I might think of changing it back to the stock. If that's the case, would anyone be interested in purchasing it, I'm just trying to plan for the worst.
Thanks in advance!

chinsterr
04-11-2007, 10:24 PM
I have always found that both my exhaust systems got louder as time passed .. vibrant and MS

DrunknFoo
04-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the reply, i'll give it a week and see if it quiets down. Is there any way to make it quieter like a silencer or what not? If it doesn't quiet down a significant amount, I might think of changing it back to the stock. If that's the case, would anyone be interested in purchasing it, I'm just trying to plan for the worst.
Thanks in advance!

I was overwhelmed at first, but give it a week or so, the exhaust itself will settle down significantly and during within the week or so you will also get used to it. After awhile I'm sure you wouldn't mind something a bit more more throatier like the Vibrant (at least this is what I'm feeling now)

Chuckie
04-11-2007, 11:25 PM
I don't think it got any quieter.. but im used to it..
but having rode with other members cars before getting mine.. I knew what to expect and what I was buying into.

JPAV8S4U
04-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Well my intake/exhaust and hi-flow cat are going in tomoro at 2.. So I hope it is louder than stock.... My car sounds too civilized for my liking. Street performance here I come... Im pretty excited :)

Fezuki
04-11-2007, 11:54 PM
I heard it at the dealership before I bought my car, but I don't remember it being as loud, but I could've mistaken. It's quieter than what I had on a Civic before but still too loud for me atm.

wingnut12
04-12-2007, 06:51 AM
I hope you'll eventually grow into it. To me it's head and shoulders better than stock, but ya it's louder by a fair sum, and the CAI drones at certain hwy speeds.

You get used to just not driving at those speeds

Chuckie
04-12-2007, 07:20 AM
I actually cannot hear the drone when I have music on. My volume at 7 which is about something like 13 on the stock system.

maumau
04-20-2007, 10:48 AM
please post a soudn clip please

3GFX
04-20-2007, 11:00 AM
please post a soudn clip please

Just look it up on youtube!

Here are some clips:

Mazdaspeed
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ilqHyNQCOO4

HKS High power
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3t5-DbQjvPA

Magnaflow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfxn5os_EJM

Borla
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmkOQtsUC6E

Vibrant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ8WYyr1SE4

wingnut12
04-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey Maumau, a lot of times the clips don't do them justice. If you go to a couple meets, you can hear them all for yourself and really get a feel for them.

maumau
04-21-2007, 01:38 AM
after hearing it, i think mazda speed sounds great.
i duno why, the sound is simple yet aggresive

chinsterr
04-21-2007, 11:01 AM

Yes, its very refined :)

matt
04-21-2007, 11:16 AM
i like the mazdaspeed the best too

KeithB
04-24-2007, 12:15 PM
If you find the MS exhaust a bit loud, you can have a resonator installed.
It doesn't affect the flow but will make it a bit mellower.

JPAV8S4U
05-01-2007, 06:53 PM
I have had the MS intake/exhaust on for a few weeks now and loving it.. At first.... I was like "Holy Cow".. it was loud... but that was primarily due to the fact that stock is so quiet..... It has either gotten quieter or ive gotten used to it... or both. Personally I think it is a bit of both! Great looks... great sound and great quality that doesnt void warrantys! Happy with my choice! Not to mention great install by Jimmy at Street Performance!

royroy
05-01-2007, 06:59 PM
I have had the MS intake/exhaust on for a few weeks now and loving it.. At first.... I was like "Holy Cow".. it was loud... but that was primarily due to the fact that stock is so quiet..... It has either gotten quieter or ive gotten used to it... or both. Personally I think it is a bit of both! Great looks... great sound and great quality that doesnt void warrantys! Happy with my choice! Not to mention great install by Jimmy at Street Performance!

you forgot to mention about ur high-flow too =P

JPAV8S4U
05-01-2007, 07:02 PM
you forgot to mention about ur high-flow too =P

Yes! forgot about that! :) lol! I have that too ;)

CanadaGTO
05-01-2007, 07:03 PM

Reminds me of something I did a few years back :)

In 2k2 I bought a new Protege5, and that summer my wife and I decided to take a driving trip out to the East coast, via New York State, Maine...etc.

So the morning we're supposed to leave, I go to get my oil changed at the local dealer. I notice in the display case a nice shiny new Mazdaspeed exhaust, and ask how much. They give me a price and I think why-not. 30 mins later I'm driving home, thinking it sounds great, but maybe the timing wasn't right.

All the way to Kingston my wife didn't talk to me..... man was she pissed at the loud sound coming from our previously quite P5.

Luckily she got used to it, cause my SRT was louder and now so is my MS3.

JPAV8S4U
05-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Reminds me of something I did a few years back :)

In 2k2 I bought a new Protege5, and that summer my wife and I decided to take a driving trip out to the East coast, via New York State, Maine...etc.

So the morning we're supposed to leave, I go to get my oil changed at the local dealer. I notice in the display case a nice shiny new Mazdaspeed exhaust, and ask how much. They give me a price and I think why-not. 30 mins later I'm driving home, thinking it sounds great, but maybe the timing wasn't right.

All the way to Kingston my wife didn't talk to me..... man was she pissed at the loud sound coming from our previously quite P5.

Luckily she got used to it, cause my SRT was louder and now so is my MS3.

LOL! I broke up with the GF the same day it was installed..... Problem solved... ;) LMAO! SUMMERTIME BABY!

wingnut12
05-04-2007, 11:49 PM
MS exhaust or not, that may have been the quietest trip you'll ever take!

rcd001
06-03-2007, 10:31 AM
I was talking with the guys at "Noise BoyS" about installing a complete exhaust system c/w headers and high flox cat. They advised me that they get a lot of Mazda 3 drivers coming in to install resonators on their speed exhaust. Apperantly it is a lot louder then most after market.

Anyone know a good shop I can go to for a second opinion.

Can I do the cat back first and then,do the headers and high flow cat. Just make it easier on the wallet.

3GFX
06-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Its not loud its perfect. MS Exhaust sounds soooo good. I guess with headers it could be to much though.

The guys at Street Performance would be good, they did a good job installing my exhaust and I know they did Justin's as well.

KOKKINO
06-04-2007, 04:33 PM
muhahahahahaha i was lurking and found your post...lol...jus kidding
sounded good when u took off!!!

nicker
10-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Can anyone tell me if they noticed their car was more slugish after installing the Speed exhaust on they regular three?

I have read a few posts where people are saying it felt more sluggish then before.

WeatherB
10-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Can anyone tell me if they noticed their car was more slugish after installing the Speed exhaust on they regular three?

I have read a few posts where people are saying it felt more sluggish then before.

If you give me $100, I will get mine dynoed and will let you know. :)

whiteomega
10-02-2007, 10:24 AM

i've noticed it's a bit more sluggish in lower revs, probably because the powerband gets shifted upwards in the revs a bit. at higher revs it's still pretty zippy.

WeatherB
10-02-2007, 10:45 AM
i've noticed it's a bit more sluggish in lower revs, probably because the powerband gets shifted upwards in the revs a bit. at higher revs it's still pretty zippy.

That is exactly what I noticed, but I am curious how much slower it really got.

Dan Da Man
10-11-2007, 11:48 AM
just had the msp cat back installed, loving it, i also have the msp cai. sounds sweet.

RedRaptor
10-11-2007, 12:06 PM
just had the msp cat back installed, loving it, i also have the msp cai. sounds sweet.

Awesome Dan. Glad you like it!

Fezuki
10-11-2007, 12:55 PM

As do I, contrary to what I thought at first, I am enjoying both parts. Although I slapped a resonator on to reduce a bit of the noise.

Dan Da Man
10-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Awesome Dan. Glad you like it!

yeah i had the shop add 2 inches of pipe to make it a bit longer, he was worried i might melt the plastic if it was too short.

WeatherB
10-11-2007, 06:17 PM
As do I, contrary to what I thought at first, I am enjoying both parts. Although I slapped a resonator on to reduce a bit of the noise.

Which resonator did you get? I am getting the Vibrant Ultra-quiet and am going to replace one of the stock ones with it.

sp3GT
10-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Can this same resonator also be slapped onto a magnaflow? MS exhaust and magnaflow are really similar rite? I found my magnaflow kinda annoying at low revs.

Fezuki
10-11-2007, 07:54 PM
I got mine at Midas near my place. Someone referred me there and they custom fitted a resonator. Not sure what brand, or if there is even a brand on it.

gochickenfactory
10-28-2007, 02:15 PM
I work at Avante Mazda up at richmond hill, and yes the mazdaspeed exhaust sounds beautiful ONLY on the speed3 obviously. We've installed one for a blue hatch not too long ago and i did sound nice, but it didn't have that rumbling noise, which i love. But oh well, i have a mazda 5 gt, and i'm getting a 2.5" custom piping done on it, just gotta find a nice 3.5" - 4" exhaust.

RetroLite
07-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Im about to get a MazdaSpeed Accessory Exhaust, whats the advantage of installing the MagnaFlow High Flow or leaving the stock cat in?

Thanks,
Dragos

leems
07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
I've not noticed any sluggishness, I installed the cat back MS3 on my mz3 and it's worked out pretty well. I have the AEM CAI ... don't know if that makes a difference?!?

Linkz
08-18-2010, 09:34 PM

It's my favourite too....it's between the Ms3 or the Borla systems when I'm ready.