PDA

View Full Version : Ford Quality on Par with Toyota/Nissan?

Fuman
04-19-2007, 05:17 PM
http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/04/ford_quality_is_on_par_with_to.html

The study is rather misleading, as it only compares 2007 vehciles, it has no new term figures. They go on to justify the study by saying | The report did not look at long-term quality, but according to Fowler "initial quality and long-term quality tend to track together." | The article also doesn't give any figures for 2006 or years early, for us to see any sort of trend.

I've no doubt Ford's quality has improved but to the point where it matches Toyota? seems a bit premature to come to that statement.

b
04-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Interesting... but I won't be buying a Ford to bother finding out :)

Sean80
04-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Wow, I would hope that initial quality for all makers would be relatively close. In my opinion, it's the long-term quality that matters the most to people.

Whos ur dadd
04-20-2007, 12:33 AM
Ford sucks. I hope Ford dies a terrible, angonizing death.

Ford is Garbage.

Die, Ford, die!!!

Fuman
04-20-2007, 03:26 AM
Wow, I would hope that initial quality for all makers would be relatively close. In my opinion, it's the long-term quality that matters the most to people.

yeah, i agree. I mean factors like how long their parts last for matters as well. I mean they can say for Fords Alternators can be due every 80,000KM, and for Toyotas it can be 110,000KM. (my old protege got around 110,000KM replacements lasted 50,000KM lol).

Unoriginalusername
04-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Ford sucks. I hope Ford dies a terrible, angonizing death.

Ford is Garbage.

Die, Ford, die!!!

Give our cars are the European ford focus I think that is good news lol.

MajesticBlueNTO
04-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Interesting... but I won't be buying a Ford to bother finding out :)

you already did :p

b
04-21-2007, 01:53 AM
you already did :p

Last time I checked it wasn't a Ford 3. Lol.

By saying I already bought a Ford... you are implying that it is 49% mazda 51% Ford.

MajesticBlueNTO
04-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Last time I checked it wasn't a Ford 3. Lol.

By saying I already bought a Ford... you are implying that it is 49% mazda 51% Ford.

aside from Ford holding majority ownership in Mazda:

have you checked the parts on the 3? majority are stamped "FoMoCo" (Ford Motor Company). the Mazdaspeed struts are stamped FoMoCo; the brake calipers are stamped FoMoCo; the immobilizer system is a Ford/Visteon designed system; some parts are identical to what is used on other Ford cars; i'd wouldn't be surprised if more than 60% of the parts are FoMoCo

the engine block is a Ford duratec block, the engine head is also a Ford unit that Mazda reworked

the chassis is an evolution of the European Ford Focus chassis (Mazda's trademark and much regarded "Twin Trapezoidal Link" rear suspension was ditched in favour of the Ford Control Blade rear suspension)

There is more Ford than Mazda in this car than you think...not that that's a bad thing.

Unoriginalusername
04-21-2007, 10:53 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C1_Platform
The C1 platform (for "Compact-class") is Ford's global compact car automobile platform. It replaces (and is loosely based on) Ford's C170 platform and Mazda's BJ platform. The C1 platform debuted with the European Ford Focus C-Max compact MPV in early 2004. The platform is designed for either front- or all wheel drive.

Vehicles currently using this platform include the following:

2004 – Mazda Mazda3 (Code name J48)
2005 – Ford Focus (International) (American Focuses will continue on the old C170 platform through to 2009)
2005 – Volvo S40 sedan (code name P11)
2005 – Volvo V50 station wagon (code name P12)
2006 – Mazda Mazda5
2006 – Volvo C70 coupe/convertible (code name P15)
2007 – Volvo C30 (code name P14)
Future C1 vehicles:

2008 – Volvo XC50
2010 – Ford Focus C-MAX (North American)

b
04-21-2007, 11:14 AM

b
04-21-2007, 11:20 AM
aside from Ford holding majority ownership in Mazda:

have you checked the parts on the 3? majority are stamped "FoMoCo" (Ford Motor Company). the Mazdaspeed struts are stamped FoMoCo; the brake calipers are stamped FoMoCo; the immobilizer system is a Ford/Visteon designed system; some parts are identical to what is used on other Ford cars; i'd wouldn't be surprised if more than 60% of the parts are FoMoCo

the engine block is a Ford duratec block, the engine head is also a Ford unit that Mazda reworked

the chassis is an evolution of the European Ford Focus chassis (Mazda's trademark and much regarded "Twin Trapezoidal Link" rear suspension was ditched in favour of the Ford Control Blade rear suspension)

There is more Ford than Mazda in this car than you think...not that that's a bad thing.

Oh I know a lot of it is stamped Ford. Even under the oil cap when you flip it upside down.

I know there is a lot of Ford parts on it... But... It is still a Mazda!

When you say I wouldn't be surprised if more than 60% of the parts are Ford... Well it sounds like you don't know what % of it is.

No matter what you say... In my books it is a Mazda. I didn't buy a Ford.

Anyways... I said I wasn't going to buy a Ford anytime soon... so if you feel that owning a Mazda 3 that is built in japan is the exact same as going to a Ford dealership and buying any one of their products in terms of quality & such... good for you!

MajesticBlueNTO
04-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Oh I know a lot of it is stamped Ford. Even under the oil cap when you flip it upside down.

I know there is a lot of Ford parts on it... But... It is still a Mazda!

When you say I wouldn't be surprised if more than 60% of the parts are Ford... Well it sounds like you don't know what % of it is.

No matter what you say... In my books it is a Mazda. I didn't buy a Ford.

Anyways... I said I wasn't going to buy a Ford anytime soon... so if you feel that owning a Mazda 3 that is built in japan is the exact same as going to a Ford dealership and buying any one of their products in terms of quality & such... good for you!

you sound like you hate Ford for some reason. why? it's almost as if i said santa claus doesn't exist.

Ford has bailed out and improved a number of auto manufacturers around the world, Mazda included (in addition to Jaguar, Volvo and various others in the Premier Automotive Group). Granted their own house isn't in order but that's another story.

Mazda was in such bad shape that their "luxury-brand" Amati (conceived to compete against Lexus, Infiniti, Acura) was scrapped (the Amati Pegasus remained as the Mazda Millennia though).

Rather than hating on Ford, we should be thankful that they bought controlling intersest in Mazda when they did or else we wouldn't be driving a Mazda 3.

midnightfxgt
04-21-2007, 12:30 PM
I have to agree with Neil. There are FAR too many who scream about "I hate Ford" or "I hate Domestics". Thats where your money is going, and thats who's parts your using. I know, I know.... You bought a Mazda (Since thats the dealership you went to, and the badging on the back)... but its still a lot of Ford in there. >50%? I dont know.

A lot of people on here will agree that the Sunfire and Cavy are essentially the same car. So would it make sense for a Cavy owner to scream "I hate Pontiac". Or vise versa?

-John

cereal83
04-21-2007, 01:00 PM
lol domestics are just as good as import imo!

MajesticBlueNTO
04-21-2007, 01:07 PM
I have to agree with Neil. There are FAR too many who scream about "I hate Ford" or "I hate Domestics". Thats where your money is going, and thats who's parts your using. I know, I know.... You bought a Mazda (Since thats the dealership you went to, and the badging on the back)... but its still a lot of Ford in there. >50%? I dont know.

A lot of people on here will agree that the Sunfire and Cavy are essentially the same car. So would it make sense for a Cavy owner to scream "I hate Pontiac". Or vise versa?

-John

John agrees even after he drove a Mazda Probe :)

wingnut12
04-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Ford, Mazda, Volvo doesn't much matter to me.

As long as the quality continues to improve across the board so that all of my comparable choices are equally good when it's time to buy, I'm happy.

Triplebogey
04-21-2007, 04:59 PM
I have never been a FORD fan but they have improved over the years.
I think that blending some of Ford parts and products with a splash of Japanese refinement and quality are a good fit.
Hence, great Mazda products.

If you look at Ford products on their own, the interiors seem too cheap and bland.

I still love the Ford bashing though....

Found
On
Road
Dead

Fix
Often
Repair
Daily

backwards....

Driver
Returns
On
Foot

:gone

justin
04-21-2007, 06:25 PM
santa claus doesn't exist.

WHAT?@!@!?!?! Now I'm really pissed!!!! :complain

Flagrum_3
04-22-2007, 09:08 AM
I have never been a FORD fan but they have improved over the years.
I think that blending some of Ford parts and products with a splash of Japanese refinement and quality are a good fit.
Hence, great Mazda products.

If you look at Ford products on their own, the interiors seem too cheap and bland.

I still love the Ford bashing though....

Found
On
Road
Dead

Fix
Often
Repair
Daily

backwards....

Driver
Returns
On
Foot

:gone

Don't forget;

F For
O Older
R retard's
D disposal....and

F Fix
O or
R Replace
D daily

_3

midnightfxgt
04-22-2007, 11:32 PM
John agrees even after he drove a Mazda Probe :)

Best parts on that car were the ones it shared with the MX6... the rest was so-so :).... but with boost... yummy!

b
04-23-2007, 05:22 PM
you sound like you hate Ford for some reason. why? it's almost as if i said santa claus doesn't exist.

Ford has bailed out and improved a number of auto manufacturers around the world, Mazda included (in addition to Jaguar, Volvo and various others in the Premier Automotive Group). Granted their own house isn't in order but that's another story.

Mazda was in such bad shape that their "luxury-brand" Amati (conceived to compete against Lexus, Infiniti, Acura) was scrapped (the Amati Pegasus remained as the Mazda Millennia though).

Rather than hating on Ford, we should be thankful that they bought controlling intersest in Mazda when they did or else we wouldn't be driving a Mazda 3.

I don't hate Ford. I never said I did! I just said I wouldn't be buying one anytime soon... that is when you chimed in and started saying it is a Ford etc.

Did I hurt your feelings when I said I wouldn't buy a Ford? You don't have to bring Santa Claus into it! LOL.

Be thankful that they bought controlling interest in Mazda? Ford is holding Mazda down. Mazda would only be so lucky if they could break ties.

Flagrum_3
04-23-2007, 05:38 PM
b, Majestic is right about one thing Mazda would not even exist right now if it wasn't for Ford but I'm damned sure Santa exists, I've seen him.

_3

EvilEric
04-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Triplebogey is right. The whole snap on assembly process and the way the panels etc are is japanese style but the chassis and engine and the stuff that's actually important was developed by Ford.

Having said that, I think Toyota has the same technology sharing thing with another company? There is supposedly a Corolla engine in the pontiac vibe?

MajesticBlueNTO
04-24-2007, 11:27 PM
Triplebogey is right. The whole snap on assembly process and the way the panels etc are is japanese style but the chassis and engine and the stuff that's actually important was developed by Ford.

Having said that, I think Toyota has the same technology sharing thing with another company? There is supposedly a Corolla engine in the pontiac vibe?

toyota and GM have various joint ventures coming out of its NUMMI plant in california....the vibe/matrix being one of them. the vibe/matrix powertrain components (engine/tranny) are toyota's, while the interior was designed by GM.

but this goes way back to the 80s when it was the corolla/chevy nova... then the corolla/geo prizm in the 90s. since the north americans got the corolla as a GM rebadge (the nova and prizm), the japanese got the last generation Cavalier for the JDM market, called the, what else, Toyota Cavalier (i'm not making this part up).

EvilEric
04-25-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm sure that the Vibe dealers play up the relationship as much as they can but how come the residual value on the Toyota Matrix is much higher then the Vibe?

I know there's the other components but the difference shouldn't be as high.

MajesticBlueNTO
04-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm sure that the Vibe dealers play up the relationship as much as they can but how come the residual value on the Toyota Matrix is much higher then the Vibe?

I know there's the other components but the difference shouldn't be as high.

major reason the residual/resale value is higher on the matrix is the name Toyota. the other could be the styling of each and dealer treatment.

public perception of Toyota is far higher than Pontiac....regardless if the cars are the same. which makes the Pontiac Vibe an even better deal in the used car market.