PDA

View Full Version : New Brake Pads Squealing

Ryehighguy
04-29-2007, 12:09 PM
I recently replaced the rear brake pads in my 2004 Mazda 3 GT, about 5 days later I noticed a squeal coming from them almost everytime I tap the brakes. It's only heard when I tap the brakes, not if I "slam" on them and only happens after I've driven the car a while (IE: the brakes are hot). Two days later, I also noticed the a lighter squeal happening when driving at low speeds and when I got over a bump.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or if they know what the cause might be. I heard this could be a case of the pads expanding b/c of the heat and the "break in" period. Or a case of where the compounds in the pads don't fair well with the rotors.

Should I continue driving on them (there's about 400km on them now) to continue the break in time, or get them checked ASAP. Any info/advice would be a great help.

bb1999jan17
04-30-2007, 03:06 AM
what brake pads did you replace?

m3m
09-13-2007, 12:56 PM
My breaks squeeks after ir rains, I realized rotors end up with rust surface and gone after breaking also, when I reverse, it makes a noise.
is that normal or should I get it checked. Is it time for new pads since it has 39,000 km

Fuman
09-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Ryehighguy - a 400KM break in, should be enough. I never had issues with squeal due to new pads. i.e. on my current car. OR on after market pads on my old car. Get them checked out.

m3m - your brakes, are fine. I don't kow if you need to replace your pads. But I'm close to 48,000KM and I've tons of pads left. You can take a look at it if you have alloy rims.

m3m
09-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Since I have alloys, I am able to see my pads and they do look fine, but then again, I'm no expert..lol

Fuman
09-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Since I have alloys, I am able to see my pads and they do look fine, but then again, I'm no expert..lol

Take a picture and post it, we can give you a better answer that way or go to a meet

m3m
09-13-2007, 02:22 PM
cool,,I will take pics of it...thanks for your advises "Fuman"

Fuman
09-13-2007, 02:32 PM
cool,,I will take pics of it...thanks for your advises "Fuman"

no advice was given. i just told u to give some pics! =p.
thank us after you post it =p

bubba1983
09-13-2007, 03:24 PM
ifg you changed them yourself, did you apply anti squeal to the pads? if not, try that, 9 times out of 10 it will get rid of the noise!

sauga_kid
09-14-2007, 12:09 PM
If you replaced the pads yourself, have you bedded them yet as well? Bedding them may reduce/eliminate the squealing, or as you have mentioned the combination of pads and rotors may not be a good match. Just my 2cents.