PDA

View Full Version : Eibach Prokit Questions

zedtech
05-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Did a search over the weekend on Eibachs Prokits but still have three small questions about them.

- Can the stock shocks handle the Prokit's spring rate w/o dying quickly? I have 49k kms on the car.

- Is there any "pogo" using stock shocks w/ the Prokits?

- Are there any vibrations when accelerating from a stop and/or slow roll?

My last car (Grand Prix) suffered badly from pogo'ing if you used lowering springs on stock struts. Also, for some odd reason, GPs were prone to lowering vibrations off a stop/roll, even if you lowered the car 1" lol. It was a rather annoying feeling to have most of the time hehe.

Thanks in advance!

b
05-13-2007, 03:27 PM
1 - I've had mine on for 40,000km and so far everything is still fine. I have almost 90,000km on the car now.

2 - Only when I go over a big speed bump.

3 - None. Both start and stop feel much better & solid.

cyberscorpi0
05-13-2007, 08:38 PM
I have Prokits, no problem so far.

zedtech
05-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Great! Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it :) Can't wait to get them now!

MattC
05-15-2007, 09:08 PM
+1 :)

hourray for GB's

doughboyr6
05-15-2007, 11:31 PM
1 - I've had mine on for 40,000km and so far everything is still fine. I have almost 90,000km on the car now.

2 - Only when I go over a big speed bump.

3 - None. Both start and stop feel much better & solid.

my response would pretty much echo his....

only that i've had mine on for maybe 2 weeks...1000kms worth.

Love it....

bb1999jan17
05-17-2007, 12:39 AM
no problem here

b
05-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Great! Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it :) Can't wait to get them now!

Take pics when you get them installed. You will love em!

justin
05-20-2007, 10:44 PM
I have these springs and I recently purchased Koni Yellows. I would recommend getting a set of aftermarket shocks.... here's why:

When you lower your car, your shocks are now wildly out of spec because of the spring. You'll probably have camber, which will lead to uneven tire wear. The problem (for some) is that even though you spent a small amount on lowering the car, you'll spent MORE getting a set of decent shocks. Most people are gunshy about spending 600+ on a set of shocks.

Having said that, aftermarket shocks are a good idea. Some people never have a problem running OEM shocks on aftermarket springs, others do. Your shocks may go sooner, or later, or not at all. Your mileage may vary.

Personally, I believe in doing the job right the first time. I don't mind investing the extra cash if it will help me down the road.

Hope this helps.

gunmetalzoom
05-21-2007, 02:53 PM
I have had my sportline for 25.000kms knock on wood so far so good......

Nextmod
05-22-2007, 11:50 AM
let me know when you are ready zedtech =)

zedtech
05-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Oooooooh goodies are in?! :chuckle I'll give you a call later today Peter, thanks!

gunmetalzoom: Love the avatar haha!

MattC
05-22-2007, 12:09 PM
they're all in? or just Z's

BiG-ED
05-22-2007, 02:01 PM
I have had my sportline for 25.000kms knock on wood so far so good......

i highly suggest getting aftermarket shocks on any drop past 1.5"
i was running sportlines on my 01 celica and my stockies died after about 30-40k
ride was insanely bumpy and bottoming out became a severe threat (moreso)

Wild Weasel
05-22-2007, 02:09 PM
I haven't really posted here since I have no experience with the suspension on the 3.

For what it's worth though, it's gospel in the j-body world that you don't use the OEM dampers on any aftermarket lowering springs at all. They're crap and simply can't handle it.

I would expect the same on these cars when it comes to something as aggressive as the Sportlines, though there seems to be a running theme here that people are ok with Prokits with the stock dampers.

Are there any real suspension gurus here that have experience with them who can give an opinion? I'd really like to know beyond just the opinion of a few people who have done it.

I can't count the number of opinions I've had in the j-body world from people who don't have a clue what they're talking about and think "a bit bouncy" is perfectly fine, among other things.

Flagrum_3
05-22-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm no suspension GuRu but I know my stuff as for the Pro-kits on stock dampers... I've had them now for only about 7k but I find the ride is almost stock, handles speed bumps and other irregularities much better.As for life-span I'm not expecting them to last as long as usual but they should last pretty close ( or long enough to save for some good shocks).Stock struts and shocks can last a long time, 180-200ks is not uncommon.But WW, seeing as not many people here have had thier vehicles lowered for that type of mileage yet, I don't think you'll get the answer your looking for.

_3

Wild Weasel
05-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I was rather expecting that sort of answer. The modding scene for the 3's is still fairly young so it'll take a while for a big enough sample of people to have used the stuff for long enough to make generalizations.

I guess the knowledge base will grow with experience.

azn_outlaw
05-23-2007, 12:27 AM
I am okay right now with my lowering spring / stock shock combo, milage is ruff estimate at 18,000KM

honestly if you are looks for a simple daily driver shock, go with the Mazdaspeed shocks which are available at your local Mazda dealership

dentinger
05-25-2007, 10:21 PM
i have the sportlines, so about a 1.8" drop
the only problem i have is a clunking noise comming from the rear end..
but i installed the shocks myself... so im gonna go investigate the noise in class sometime soon....

any ideas what the clunking might be??