PDA

View Full Version : ms3 cold start problem?

ovillems3
05-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Ive had my ms3 since january and ive had problems starting in the cold .
im curious if any one else with a ms3 has had this problem.
I had my purge valve replaced and a flash and even sometimes now it will have a rough idle and stall when i start it after it has been sitting overnight.
my dealership is clueless and seems like they dont care (they got there money)
sorry if this is a repost, i had a quick look through the threads and didnt see anything on the ms3, I hope im in wright the section.

any help would be be awesome, thanks

WhiteSpeed3
05-20-2007, 09:15 AM
i had a had a prob once about a 2 weeks ago never happened again

yearoftherat
05-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Come to Winnipeg (my hometown) where it get as low as -34 in January and see it you car will start there. All kidding aside, go to another dealer and get them to look @ it.

ovillems3
05-20-2007, 09:41 AM
you should report it to you dealer, just put it record with them.
how long have you had your ms3 for? im guessing not for too long
trust me in the winter it gets a lot worse
i dont know if you plan on driving your ms3 in the winter but right now as it stands intill mazda gets there tuning issues fixed or what ever it is, these cars shouldnt be driven in the winter
back when it got really cold out i would have to hold my gas pedal down when starting for about 20-30 secs or it would just die

ovillems3
05-20-2007, 09:47 AM
ya i went to another dealer and they said there was a hesitation/ cold start flash, at the time i was getting a cold air intake installed and they said they flashed it but still have the same problem.
i used 94 octane and tried switching to 91 and it seems a little better.
winnipeg.... ouch ya im sure it gets realllllly cold there too, so i take you are having the same problem?

MPS
05-20-2007, 11:39 AM
i never had that problem
but i do have others
and MOT service is not fixing any of the problems :complain
after the sale ur on ur own

Wild Weasel
05-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Well... I know that if you don't get winter tires, you'll have cold start and go problems. :chuckle

Joking aside, I'll be driving mine year round so I hope this isn't an issue. I suppose we'll have to revisit this in December or January if it is.

yearoftherat
05-20-2007, 12:03 PM
when it got really cold out i would have to hold my gas pedal down when starting for about 20-30 secs or it would just die

Could be the temperature sensor

ovillems3
05-20-2007, 12:04 PM
mazdaspeed, just curious what problems you are having

you have the time attack rays rims wright? those are so so sexy:hawt
i wanted them but didnt know were to get them + i think they would be $

ovillems3
05-20-2007, 12:07 PM
temp sensor, thanks,:) will run that but my mechanic

MPS
05-20-2007, 12:13 PM
stay away from my rims :chuckle

i have problems with brakes and some other stuff

mazdaspeed, just curious what problems you are having

you have the time attack rays rims wright? those are so so sexy:hawt
i wanted them but didnt know were to get them + i think they would be $

ovillems3
05-20-2007, 12:17 PM
you dont have to worry about your rims.... at least me taking them lol
do your brakes rub on your rotors or not stopping propelry

Garu
05-20-2007, 02:50 PM
It looks like there are other people with this problem.
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=73793.0

As for me, I haven't encountered such a problem yet.

Wild Weasel
05-20-2007, 02:55 PM
It looks like there are other people with this problem.
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=73793.0

As for me, I haven't encountered such a problem yet.

Has it been cold since you got your car?

Mine's exactly 1 month old today, so it hasn't been for me.

ovillems3
05-20-2007, 03:21 PM
ya ive had my car since jan 19th
and the other day when i went to start my car after an 8hr shift
it wanted to stall but didnt, doesnt happen that often, practically at all since the cold weather has gone, but when the cold comes back:bang it will be a problem, at least for me.
temp sensor:chuckle i hope so:whoa

mazda lover
05-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Is this cold start problem mostly with standard transmissions?

ovillems3
05-20-2007, 08:49 PM
yes i think mazdaspeed3's only come in standard:)

MPS
05-20-2007, 10:43 PM
need speed sub forum ASAP

ovillems3
05-21-2007, 07:23 AM
+1 agreed

WhiteSpeed3
05-21-2007, 09:25 AM
need speed sub forum ASAP

+1 would be easiers to find stuff about the speed

Garu
05-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Has it been cold since you got your car?

Mine's exactly 1 month old today, so it hasn't been for me.

Well I picked up the car when it was snowing. Remember first week of April when it was freaking cold? :chuckle

Wild Weasel
05-21-2007, 11:12 AM
Ah yes! Back when I was thinking "Man... I'm glad I don't have my car yet since I couldn't drive it on the stock tires... " :chuckle

So now we're all going to go into November with our fingers crossed hoping this issue doesn't rear it's ugly head... :)

ovillems3
05-21-2007, 01:35 PM
:bang my car sat for half of the day yeserday and all of last night.....
when i went to start it up this morning it reved up ok at around 1800rmp
and two secs later it just died? temp sensor?
i didnt give it any gas when i started
when it was cold i would have to start it and keep the clutch pressed in (or it
would just die) and rev it at 2200-2400rmp for 20-30 secs the let go of the clutch and when it was idleing better with out my help if i just slightly touched the gas it would bog down

i dont know there are only so many mazda dealerships i can go to (2 down already, orangeville and mot) so far mot is the better one that i have been to.

oville doesnt even know that there is a cold air intake available for the ms3?:loco

b
05-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Assume you mean Oakville. If so go to Mississauga Mazda. Go up Trafalgar take a right on Britannia, then when you get to Erin Mills take a Left and it is the 2nd building on the right. Maybe 10 mins from Oakville. Nice place too.

ovillems3
05-21-2007, 03:01 PM
actually i mean orangeville
but ill try that dealership anyway, thanks

MPS
05-21-2007, 03:10 PM
that just cool when you own MS3 you get to see all the dealers for a fix :complain

ovillems3
05-21-2007, 04:18 PM
my dealer didnt know about cold air intake (that i wanted so bad) or about a cold start/hesitation flash, but mot did, they installed the cold air intake and the said the flash it....still problems
so my dealership installed fuel pumps (another storey) and still problems.
but because of the other storey im looking for another dealer

Wild Weasel
05-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Ah... so this is still happening now and isn't necessarily related to the cold.

Hasn't ever happened to mine, so I imagine something isn't right that's specific (for now) to your car.

ovillems3
05-23-2007, 06:28 PM
well wondering what you guys think, if you have ever taken out the MAF sensor it looks like there is a dark tear drop of glue attatched to a wire in the MAF housing. i checked it today for the first time and in the direction the air moves on the side of the "tear drop" was all black, i cleaned it off.
i hope it helps!
do you think that that might cause the problem?

it happened to me the other day and the next it was fine

i dont think its coil/spark plugs but havent got it checked yet
gas pumps changed
swrill valve changed and flashed

majic
05-23-2007, 07:11 PM
well wondering what you guys think, if you have ever taken out the MAF sensor it looks like there is a dark tear drop of glue attatched to a wire in the MAF housing. i checked it today for the first time and in the direction the air moves on the side of the "tear drop" was all black, i cleaned it off.
i hope it helps!
do you think that that might cause the problem?

that tear drop is the IAT (Intake Air Temperature sensor)

has it helped?

ovillems3
05-23-2007, 07:49 PM
ill post tommorrow if it helped or not, i want my car to sit for the rest of the day and night and hopefully i dont have any problems.
but still, it dosent happen all the time, so ill give it a couple days
and if i still have the problem off to mazda i go, probally brampton mazda
because thats were i work.

i hope it was the IAT sensor or whatever

Zubbie
05-23-2007, 08:30 PM
you work at Mazda of Brampton?? which department?

ovillems3
05-23-2007, 08:41 PM
sorry about that, i meant i work in brampton

S.F.W.
05-24-2007, 01:05 AM
moved to speed 3 section

HEVNSNT
05-24-2007, 05:01 AM
Have the dealer do the following:
1. Check the coolant temp sensor.
2. Check for vacuum leaks.
3. Check the electronic throttle. In older style (cable type) throttles, a separate IAC (idle air control) valve maintains the idle rpm dependant on coolant temp and load. In electronic throttles as is in your MS3 the idle is controlled by the throttle electronically. If your car won't idle it is possible that the e-throttle is not working properly or slow responding.

Just some possibilities.

ovillems3
05-24-2007, 05:33 AM
great, thanks for the info, im hoping its the iat, but if its not i have something else to check, thanks again!:)

ovillems3
05-24-2007, 05:47 AM
well i dont think its the iat, i just tried starting my car and it wanted to stall but didnt.
also i have a throttle body ground, i dont think that should do anything bad but im taking it off to see if it helps

Pilzz
05-24-2007, 08:17 AM
I have the same problems sometimes. Some guys on mazda3forums have the same issues. When it was cold i threw a CEL and the dealer changed an actuator that was stuck open due to the cold weather. As for the almost stalling, my car does that sometimes but never does stall at least since I changed the actuator.

HEVNSNT
05-24-2007, 08:22 AM
great, thanks for the info, im hoping its the iat, but if its not i have something else to check, thanks again!:)

The IAT is the intake air temp sensor. I don't believe the IAT maps are that significant at cold start to have it stall.

What i mentioned above is the IAC, idle air control but your car does not have this. If it does, this could very well be the actuator that the guy mentioned above.

ovillems3
05-24-2007, 04:10 PM
i had the accuator valve replaced, thats what it says on my work order
the mechanic said there was a flash and they flashed it but it doesnt say that on my work order/invoice

from what i know the accuator is for exhaust recirculation?

i think that the computer has a certin range the temp has to be in, and if
its not in that range it shuts off? i think, i dont know

or mabye too much gas at start up? too rich?

ovillems3
05-24-2007, 08:50 PM
well the car is going to the shop tomorrow and im afraid its not going to reproduce the problem for them, so im going to put in 94 gas so it has a little more trouble starting up.

ill post on the weekend on what happens

Zubbie
05-24-2007, 08:52 PM
you briging in to Mazda of Brampton?

ovillems3
05-24-2007, 09:06 PM
ya i talked to a lady (didnt get her name) and she was the nicest person ive ever talked to at a stealership.

just wondering if any body else is using 94 gas in their ms3 with no trouble?
it runs fine for me, it just seams a little harder on the start up

Zubbie
05-24-2007, 09:11 PM
what time you gonna be there?

I got an appointment for 2 pm tomorrow.

ovillems3
05-24-2007, 09:15 PM
after work probally around 3:00 but ive never been there (ive got directions)
and im sure traffic will be hell:chuckle

ovillems3
05-25-2007, 05:09 PM
well the nicest lady that ive ever talked to at a stealership didnt book me in for saturday? so i made an appointment for monday, its better anyway because apparently the shop foreman is going to look at it and hes not in on saturday so mabye for the better.
ill post what happens.....if anything happens! lol

ovillems3
05-30-2007, 10:06 AM
so far my car has been at the dealership for 3 days and the problem did reproduce for them!
but they phoned mazda canada or a "hotline" about the problem and they say they have no known issue about this? so my dealer has to go through a "procedure" to find out what is wrong.

3 days and counting!

ya you can say im a post whore. lol

flyinb22
05-30-2007, 10:25 AM
just wondering if any body else is using 94 gas in their ms3 with no trouble?
it runs fine for me, it just seams a little harder on the start up

I have been running Ultra 94 from Sunoco since the first fill-up. No problems here. I bought the car in early April....there were still a few cold days but nothing extreme, and I had no issues starting up or anything else that is worth noting. I hope they find a solution to your issue, keep us posted on the results

CanadaGTO
05-30-2007, 10:29 AM
I've been running 94 since new as well.

ovillems3
05-30-2007, 11:25 AM
thanks guys thats good to know, ill tell my dealer and mabye it can help them figure it out.

ovillems3
05-31-2007, 07:51 PM
well i got my car back but the tech said i should come back when the problem happens more often. the first time they tried it the problem reproduced for them but they tried 2 more times and they said it started fine.
so .... i guess i have to wait intill it gets cold again?
so im going to see what mazda canada thinks about this situation im in.
other than that i have to wait intill winter. im not too happy

Wild Weasel
05-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Did they document it in your car's history, so that later on you can prove that they had seen it for themselves?

ovillems3
05-31-2007, 10:46 PM
im not 100% sure but ill go there and find out, i never thought of that i just figured the bill would be enough, good call, thanks.

spyder
09-11-2007, 03:30 AM
Just read through this thread and did a search....see if this makes any sense.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda3/docs/0064.pdf

Spyder

ovillems3
09-11-2007, 06:26 AM
that fix looks like its not for the mazdaspeed.

well i havent got this issue fixed yet but ive been going back and forth from 91-94 octane and hvent had a problem intill recently. i guess its cause its colder out. ive noticed that if i zero out the mpg before i start it with the 94 octane, after it sits, when its a little bit cold out the mpg will be 999.9!! and if i start driving when it can idle on its own after i zero it out again when im barely touching the gas it will read 22-40, intill it gets warmed up.

so obviously the computer is giving it too much gas. i dont know too much about turbo cars but i think at idle and when the car is cold the car runs in closed loop instead of open loop? i dont know but its getting colder out so it will be happening more often, then, mazda can fix it!

spyder
09-12-2007, 01:16 AM
Sorry my bad Dude. You are right it is not for the MS3.

Spyder