PDA

View Full Version : how to do a complete engine compartiment cleaning?

vblanche
05-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Basically, should I protect all electrical parts and use a hose, and wash with soap water and then degreaser? any recommendation for process and/or products?

thanks

Wild Weasel
05-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Most stuff under the hood should be waterproof. I mean, half the engine is covered in plastic!

vblanche
05-30-2007, 11:19 AM
thanks, but do I use the hose directly on all parts? I mean, can I spray water everywhere and wash with soapy water, then rinse again?

Wild Weasel
05-30-2007, 11:24 AM
Generally... yeah. If you've got an intake or something where your filter is visible, I'd cover that up, but other than that you should be able to hose it off just fine.

If you need a degreaser for specific metal parts, I find brake cleaner works wonders while not doing any damage. You can also buy specific products for engine cleaning.

Gizzmo_jr
05-30-2007, 11:24 AM
I tried GUNK Engine Bright, and heavy soiled dirt use Simple Green (or any) heavy duty engine degreaser, careful on painted surfaces.

Both cleaned up my old inline6 in my Jeep really really well.

vblanche
06-02-2007, 11:30 AM
ok, I'll get some degreaser.

But sorry to insist: do you really spray water directly on all parts (even lights, etc...) and wash? no risk of water going inside something.

Sorry to ask again, I just looked inside the engine bay, that's so complex...I'm "scared" to water directly...but if you - guys - are doing it, I'll try later today.

cheers

Flagrum_3
06-02-2007, 03:49 PM
ok, I'll get some degreaser.

But sorry to insist: do you really spray water directly on all parts (even lights, etc...) and wash? no risk of water going inside something.

Sorry to ask again, I just looked inside the engine bay, that's so complex...I'm "scared" to water directly...but if you - guys - are doing it, I'll try later today.

cheers

If your just using a hose and not at high pressure you should be fine but, ...if it still worries you; use some rags and cover up some of the electronics including your alternator and try to keep away from them when spraying....also try to do it with a warm (Not Hot) engine, this will allow it to dry faster and then you can start your engine again once it is dry.

_3

justin
06-02-2007, 04:11 PM
I've washed my engine with a pressure washer before... Just spray on some Goo Gone, let it sit for a minute, then rinse it off.... Dry with a towel (or other clean rag) and apply some detailer. I'll show you my engine today at the meet if you are coming out.

vblanche
06-02-2007, 09:31 PM
I'll show you my engine today at the meet if you are coming out.
I can't do it today...but next meeting, I'd like to see and discuss for sure. Thanks

I did a cleaning today...1 hour with water, car wash...