PDA

View Full Version : subwoofer control - stock deck

cwp_sedan
05-30-2007, 10:46 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Remote-Subwoofer-Level-Control-For-Pioneer-Amplifers_W0QQitemZ330072804489QQcmdZViewItem

Just wondering if something like this is worth it? I currently don't plan on putting in an aftermarket deck in so I was looking into different alternatives. I am just planning on adding a sub and was thinking that having control of the sub would be nice. I know this is a simple circuit but for around $20 this would be worth it. Let me know what you guys think.

craigrodrigues88
05-30-2007, 10:51 AM
looks pretty cool, i am in the same boat as yourself, dont want an aftermarket deck because i like the stock look. where would you put it though? somewhere under the steering wheel?

skunk2
05-30-2007, 10:54 AM
looks interesting. it might be another way to induce noise to the system though.

cwp_sedan
05-30-2007, 10:58 AM
looks pretty cool, i am in the same boat as yourself, dont want an aftermarket deck because i like the stock look. where would you put it though? somewhere under the steering wheel?

On their actual website you can get it without the little box so it would be alot smaller. The cost is smaller too. I was thinking in the pucket on the left hand side or maybe inside the arm rest.

looks interesting. it might be another way to induce noise to the system though.

Yeah this is my concern too.

CoolColombian
05-30-2007, 10:58 AM
The latest amps models in the market comes with the sub level control but if you are putting an amp that doesn't have this you can get one of this devices.

cwp_sedan
05-30-2007, 11:07 AM
The latest amps models in the market comes with the sub level control but if you are putting an amp that doesn't have this you can get one of this devices.

Yeah I hear ya. I have a full setup from my last car and the amp doesn't have the control to that extent. I have the EBC2 port on my MTX amp but I don't think it gives you the control like a volume control. Know what I mean?

Gizzmo_jr
05-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Hmmm intresting....
I've put a switch on the remote power wire so I can turn on/off the amp from the drivers area but this product is a good idea.

I was going to disable my gain knob on my amp (older model without remote), and just run wires to a potentiometer that I'll locate somewhere nears the drivers seat.

Like someone said, this interrupts the audio signals (RCA's) and "could" introduce noise which I'm not keen about. Anyone got experience with a product like this? This would be a much simpler and easier solution.

sp3GT
05-30-2007, 01:42 PM
I have one of those but it came with the amp I bought. It's sweet cause when you want more bass you just crank it up.
But your amp has to support it for it to work.

skunk2
05-30-2007, 01:59 PM
is it a gain control knob or just a volume control?

cwp_sedan
05-30-2007, 02:54 PM
I would assume it's a volume control, just like your headphones. But I honestly don't know what it specifically controls.

skunk2
05-30-2007, 03:14 PM
my question was more for sp3gt on what he/she has.....the ebay gizmo is most likely just volume control not gain.

sp3GT
05-30-2007, 04:40 PM
I beleive it's a gain control knob, it plugs directly into my amp. From 0 dB to 18db. It's really good if you got a sub.

skunk2
05-30-2007, 04:47 PM
be careful with that if it is a remote gain knob.

sp3GT
05-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Mine came with the amp so it's designed to be used like that. And I still have 1 yr warranty left on both from Best buy.

3GFX
05-30-2007, 06:46 PM
I've got sub control with my amp. I love it. If I were you, just find an amp that comes with the control unit.

cwp_sedan
05-30-2007, 06:59 PM
I have one but I don't feel like dropping $50 on a stupid little control knob. The MTX knobs seem to be going for alot and I don't know why. I figured this other knob would be a cheaper alternative if there aren't too many downsides to it.

This what I need for my amp but I'm not paying that price. I can't find it anywhere else for cheaper either.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bass-Control-Knob-EBC-Remote-for-Old-MTX-Amplifier-Amp_W0QQitemZ200114457115QQihZ010QQcategoryZ64570Q QcmdZViewItem

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/archive/crossovers/EBC.cfm

-RJ3-
05-31-2007, 02:16 AM

Yes... I have this on my phoenix gold... I mounted the sub control under the dash. It sounds good when you have the control but until you get a HU its the way to go for controlling you mids highs and lows and especially your sub.

nicker
10-25-2007, 10:22 AM
I was thinking you could make this your self. providing you just want the knoob to turn the volumn up and down on the sub. You can buy this type of knoob and RCA jacks from any electronics store.

cwp_sedan
10-25-2007, 10:23 AM
I was thinking you could make this your self. providing you just want the knoob to turn the volumn up and down on the sub. You can buy this type of knoob and RCA jacks from any electronics store.

You can. I've seen all of the parts at "the Source"

3GFX
10-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Yea but these remotes would only increase or decrease signal going to the woofer where as most controls on amps control the gain and the signal keeps its stength, no?

Gizzmo_jr
10-25-2007, 10:37 AM
bingo, thats why it's better to have an amp that has it's own remote system (that changes gain) IMO.

nicker
10-25-2007, 10:53 AM
agreed but if you only want to duplicate this item that you can make it your self. But yes unlitmately the best is to use a factory one that connects into your amp.

cwp_sedan
10-25-2007, 10:54 AM
bingo, thats why it's better to have an amp that has it's own remote system (that changes gain) IMO.

This is a good alternative though. I have it and I am happy with it. Even though the amp still works as hard no matter what the control is set to, it's still ok to use.

daglig
10-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Yea, this is just a volume control... it's a dual-potentiometer and a couple RCA wires. If you have a soldering tool and a bit of practice with it, you can grab these at active surplus or something for .50 cents, plus RCA cable and heads for a couple more bucks.

However the first ebay link works out cheaper if you don't know how to solder.

garboui
10-30-2007, 09:50 AM
small screwdriver with a broom handle attached. just have it go from trunk to up front resting in between the drivers seat and arm rest.

lol jk. because if the range and frequency of bandwidth of a subwoofer. allthough with running components you prolly will due to there being more high frequency noise emitted from your car. you may not have too many issues with noise from using that inline rca control. allthough if you are using a loc at the deck you can shorten one of the leads of the control knob and go loc>volume control knob>amp. this will eliminate the extra 2 lengths of wire running the length of the car.

Slade
11-06-2007, 07:23 PM
You may also want to consider a crossover that has a remote gain knob with it. I bought a cheap used MTX crossover just for the gain knob, but it also cleaned up my sound a bit with the stock deck,