PDA

View Full Version : Mazdaspeed 3: Would you Park at Go Train Station?

kid_icarus
06-18-2007, 07:34 PM
I just put down a security deposit on a MSP3 on Friday. It's True Red. Today (monday) I just got promoted at work and must begin work downtown.

I won't be picking up my MSP3 until July.

Would you guys be worried about parking your MSP3 at a go train parking lot? Do you think it would be a target vehicle for theft or break-ins or vandalisms?

I know most vehicles are random, but what would you guys do?

Do you think I should spend 500 on a random beater? IF so are beater vehicles typically pretty cheap on insurance? I'm really worried and Don't want my vehicle to get messed up.

Jeff-TheBiz
06-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Welcome Phillip...

Glad to see you finally made your way here.

majic
06-18-2007, 07:49 PM
ppl park all kinds of vehicles at the GO station.. not sure if all but oakville one is equipped with CCTV .. and worse comes to worst, the $500 spent on a beater could be used as a deductible should something happen and you still drive one car (not a POS) and worry about just 1 insurance instead of 2.. :)

S.F.W.
06-18-2007, 08:02 PM
I would agree with majic. I wouldn't be that concerned about parking it at a GO station.

kid_icarus
06-19-2007, 12:41 AM
The BIZ! I knew you'd find me here! =) Yes as you can see I'm getting prepped for the final showing. And as you can see, I did finally get my "location" today on Monday.

Thanks for all advice so far. I'll try to calm my senses down for a bit. But anyone else, please continue to provide your thoughts.

I mean i used to park at the Go in the past for about 1.5 years but that was with my 99 Altima. The difference is easy though now...

bubba1983
06-19-2007, 12:46 AM
woah..side note, Kid Icarus....that was an old school Nintendo Game, i loved it!

Skarbro
06-19-2007, 05:30 AM
You can't live in fear of parking there. Sure there is a chance of getting broken into or of door dings. But if you're smart, you can minimize the chances for those things.

Wild Weasel
06-19-2007, 06:39 AM
I actually bought mine specifically so that I could park it anywhere and not worry. That was one of my reasons for buying a new car.

My other car was a concern since, even though there wasn't anything in it to smash and grab, it would always be a target and I'd always be worried because of the obvious modification.

So long as it's stock, it's really no different than anything else there. It's not as if it were an ITR and could be torn down for parts in half an hour.

It's a nice car, but I don't see anything that would make it a target for theft.

cereal83
06-19-2007, 06:45 AM
i would park a Ferrari at go train station as it is not really different then a parking lot downtown

ptwonline
06-19-2007, 09:07 AM
I see lots of Mazda 3's at GO parking lots including Speed 3's. I've specifically looked for dents on the doors. 10 cars, no dents.

cyberscorpi0
06-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Congratulations on the promotion and the Mazdaspeed3.

As long as you don't leave anything tempting to steal in the car (i.e. Bags, watches, PSP etc.) you should be OK. http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/happy/happy0025.gif

kid_icarus
06-19-2007, 09:43 AM
thanks again guys.

I keep reading up on horror stories of ppl who get their cars vandalized and broken into like once every few months and it still worries me.

The speed 3 has a "decent" sound system.
Would ppl not be tempted to steal the subwoofer?

I typically drive very clean. Nothing, not even an air freshner on the inside of the vehicle, so i'm not worried about that.

More worried about vandals who have 7 hours to randomly smash up nice cars or steal the rims or tear apart the exhaust.

I know I'm probably overworrying, but i'm sure since you are all enthusiasts you can give me a little compassion =).

This is my first vehicle, and i might be willing to relocate my job if one of these acts occurs.

KenYork
06-19-2007, 09:53 AM
People drive more expensive vehicles, park and take the GO. It all depends on who the vandal is and their preference if there is any at all. More than likely it's just random, just depends on your luck.

m_a_t_r_i_x
06-19-2007, 10:37 AM
welcome and congrats....thats why we insurance, just park your car there...dont worry... its just a car, enjoy!

MattC
06-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Just get a compustarPro and that should help you sleep a little easier...

But at the end of the day, vlad's sig says it best:

"Every car has a defect that makes it easy to break into, it's called a window... "

kid_icarus
06-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Lol i guess you guys are right.

i'll let it go but if it happens once I might have to take countermeasures. I really don't want to be one of those repeat victims that I read about on forums who get their cars burglarized and then they fix it, only to have it burglarized again in the near future.

It won't help my insurance or peace of mind.

EvilEric
06-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Specifically at the GO train station near Kennedy & Steeles they have had alot of problems with people in a whole row getting rear windows smashed in or keyed.

Just try to park closer to where people normally would walk. or that is in clear view of any camera. At this particular location, i've taken to parking in the mall adjacent to GO train and walking over.

WLS ZMZM
06-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Unfortunately there are lot of inconsiderate a****oles out there who just don't care. As for not taking your car there... if you think about it, its just like any other parking lot... As for the random acts at the go stations...... unless the person knows their cars a speed3 won't mean a thing to them.. sadly most of these thieves don't know their cars.. so they are oblivious to whats in them... as for ripping the exhaust system apart, most thefts are quick smash & grabs... not busting out tools and taking the car apart :chuckle so I wouldn't be too worried about that... and like WW said the car isn't a Type-R or something super popular where they would steal it and chop it.... Besides it's a new car you should be showing it off and enjoying it... !!! Congrats as well!! :bana:bana

kid_icarus
06-19-2007, 02:51 PM
I take it that no one here ACTUALLY parks at the GO TRAIN station on a daily 9-5 basis?

Do insurance premiums really increase a lot when you have a theft or break in?

majic
06-19-2007, 02:58 PM
I take it that no one here ACTUALLY parks at the GO TRAIN station on a daily 9-5 basis?

i used to.. then i realized it's cheaper/better/faster(not always)/more comfortable to drive to work..

get there early (to the station) or you'll be either parking illegally or walking 10 min to the train..

Unoriginalusername
06-19-2007, 03:06 PM
i'll sell you our 1989 Oldsmobile cutlas if that would make you feel better lol

Wild Weasel
06-19-2007, 03:27 PM
i used to.. then i realized it's cheaper/better/faster(not always)/more comfortable to drive to work..

get there early (to the station) or you'll be either parking illegally or walking 10 min to the train..

I currently drive to work because, carpooling, it's cheaper. If the guy I carpool with moves, then I'll be going to the GO. I bought the new car so that would be a viable option.

kid_icarus
06-19-2007, 03:38 PM
i'll sell you our 1989 Oldsmobile cutlas if that would make you feel better lol

lol no thanks! haha i had a buick before in the past. i'd much rather take 500 beat up civic and save even the slightest on gas haha.

thanks for the offer though

boogie
06-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Personally I wouldn't as I've had many instances of my old cars being broken into at GO stations, and if they don't have camera's setup, your pretty much SOL. If you do have to park it, just try to find somewhere very visible (near the road or something) that might deter a would-be thief from trying to break into your stuff.

kid_icarus
06-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Personally I wouldn't as I've had many instances of my old cars being broken into at GO stations, and if they don't have camera's setup, your pretty much SOL. If you do have to park it, just try to find somewhere very visible (near the road or something) that might deter a would-be thief from trying to break into your stuff.

Unfortunately my go station is surrounded on three out of four sides by land that is not a road.

One side is the station/residential
Another side is a big forest
another side is the actual railtrack

The only side facing the road consists of maybe 10 spots which is literally the TOTAL opposite end of the station and isin't much safer cuz it's right by the high school.

JonsMazda
06-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Loosen up, dont think too much. Just park anywhere cept beside, behind or infront of a crapper car or a large van. I was just like u when I got my new m3, very paranoid about dents or thieves. Get the club or a security alarm.

kid_icarus
06-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks Jon.

I guess the question becomes, what's a good security system?

I see that you have a compustar? Where are the dealers for this and is there a monthly service fee or anything like that?

I've also been told about boomerang, but I'm more worried about vandalism than a car jacking.

Any good suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

starwind
06-22-2007, 11:15 PM
An idea might be to ask GO or the local police if they have any stats about how much car-related crime goes on in/near the parking lot... (it may even been on the local police website, for example... by postal code or something similar).

Not sure if that will help raise or lower your concerns, but at least it would give some real numbers instead of "what ifs" and anecdote.