PDA

View Full Version : Cai

XizorGetspeed
06-20-2007, 04:42 PM
I know there are many threads on this, but even after doing several searches I am confused as heck.

I can't seem to figure out which CAI to go with.

I'd like to know what the members are using and their experience.

I'm looking at details like how it sounds and peformance gain. Also, any problems such as getting a CEL.

What brand are you guys using? MazdaSpeed, Fujita, Injen, K&N, AEM, other?

JonsMazda
06-20-2007, 04:45 PM
most of us are using Fujita. AEM gives lots of CELs so ive heard.

WhiteSpeed3
06-20-2007, 05:27 PM
i never had a cel on my old car with the aem intake but i think it the best out there

Aem - IMO the best

mazdaspeed - just an aem intake with a mazdaspeed sticker
(aem makes them)

fujita - not a big fan but not sure about it

injen - great for the speed prob the same for the 3

k&n - never seen or heard one on any 3 yet

JonsMazda
06-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Go for the Fujita F5 ($250). Cant go wrong with it.

MattC
06-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Love my K&N +1

Sean80
06-20-2007, 06:30 PM
mazdaspeed is great no problems/cel whatsoever.

XizorGetspeed
06-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Okay... how about some posts with people giving some factual reasons (not just its great). For example:
I love my Ingen CAI because.... it gives a 10K HP boost.
I love my Fujita because it was an easy install and they gave me a free duffel bag.

I'm looking to understand if the higher priced CAIs are worth the extra coin or not. Which offers the best performance?

If they are all essentially the same then I may as well get the cheapest one which from what I'm seeing is Fujita. Plus i get a free hat and duffel bag!

Zubbie
06-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Okay... how about some posts with people giving some factual reasons (not just its great). For example:
I love my Ingen CAI because.... it gives a 10K HP boost.
I love my Fujita because it was an easy install and they gave me a free duffel bag.

I'm looking to understand if the higher priced CAIs are worth the extra coin or not. Which offers the best performance?

If they are all essentially the same then I may as well get the cheapest one which from what I'm seeing is Fujita. Plus i get a free hat and duffel bag!

10k hp boost, holy crap those are some good gains!!:chuckle

And you get a free NOS energy drink to with the Fujita.

faibs
06-20-2007, 09:16 PM
i might be leaning towards MS cai just for warranty purposes and it not affecting ur stock warranty

wingnut12
06-20-2007, 09:18 PM
I got the MS one (it's in my sig), and I love it. The water guard works really well.

Not to open up the old: "My CAI is better than yours" debate, but they are all fairly close in terms of which will give you negligably more gain, so go with whichever one is cheapest at the time.

I got mine because it was on sale at the time. There's no way I would have paid full list for it.

MattC
06-21-2007, 12:12 AM
k&n = great because you can get it in hot colours, its a super easy install, and it can be changed to a SRI in the winter.

WhiteSpeed3
06-21-2007, 02:08 AM
+1 on the sri for winter and cai for summer with the k&n

XizorGetspeed
06-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Awesome.

So what's an SRI?

I have a lease, is installing anything other than MS going to void my stock warranty?

MattC
06-21-2007, 09:09 AM
If you pop a CEL and something is up with your engine, and they determine the cause of that problem was infact the intake, then yes i think your warranty is voided. do a search on the forum, this topic of CAI's and warranties has been covered in detail elsewhere.

a SRI is a Short Ram Intake, it is still the same idea, only instead of pulling air from around the frontbumper/wheelwell area the filter is up around where your fusebox is.

This would be a good idea in the winter if you get some snow or water in your engine compartment, and it has a chance to freeze on the CAI's filter or something.

The SRI is alot closer to the engine so it is closer to the heat so freezing is less likely, but you usually need to get some sort of heat shield to prevent hot exhaust from the engine from being sucked back in, or harming the filter.

of course, theres always people who have no troubles in the winter with their CAI's, it really seems to be very subjective.

XizorGetspeed
06-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Anyone have issues during winter with their CAI?

XizorGetspeed
06-22-2007, 09:48 AM
According to the polls it seems that more people have MS installed

MattC
06-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Probably for a few reasons, one HUGE reason is this here (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17219)

Another is someone voted twice somehow, and atleast 1 of them has a speed3 :chuckle

SpeedBaby
06-22-2007, 10:13 AM
I had the AEM and the Ingen on the old 3. I did have cel issues with them, however they were related to the broken harness of the maf more than the actual cai itself.
This time around went with the MS one just to make sure that all the warranty run around will be avoided.

pahecko
06-22-2007, 01:57 PM
I went with injen for a 3 reasons:

1. I've read up on most intakes and it was said to be the loudest :)

2. I knew not many people would have it do to cost.

3. Design. The filter actually faces up, right under the headlight assembly so water isn't an issue. And it just looks good.

As for gains, everyone seems to get a different result but it would seem most cai get about 5hp. Fujita is the only one i've seen 10hp gain on more then one account.

I couldn't tell you how much difference mine actually makes 'cause I got my header installed at the same time. What I can tell you is that it's loud enough to here with the windows down and a fairly loud exhaust :D

ksukh
07-05-2007, 05:42 PM
I have a Mazdaspeed CAI,
I purchased it because I wanted warranty. I think that's the main reason why most people would choose MS. I haven't experienced any problems during the winter. It also sounds nice =)