PDA

View Full Version : Winter & CAI

HappyJappy
06-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Do you guys drive in the winter with ur modded CAI? If so, what brand and any problems?

b
06-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Do you guys drive in the winter with ur modded CAI? If so, what brand and any problems?

I have run the injen last 2 winters without taking it off. No problems. Just needs a good cleaning after the season!

Zubbie
06-23-2007, 09:02 PM
I drove from February on, with a CAI on and I had no problems... but I did get a problem in the spring. With the Fujita CAI.

HappyJappy
06-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Why do some have CEL problems and some dont? is it a 50/50 probililty?

MattC
06-23-2007, 09:32 PM
quality of install?

parking outside vs in?

who knows.

Zubbie
06-23-2007, 09:35 PM
I do park outside every night.

The install is simple I don't think it could be screwed up.

It is just me being unlucky.

Victorious52
06-24-2007, 01:04 AM
ive been driving with my CIA for about 3 years ... i have the K&N Typhoon CIA ... never had any problems with it nor have i had the CEL ever come on ... Just like b said ... you need to clean it ... i personaly clean mine every oil change ... so thats about every 5000km

MattC
06-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Victorious, do you swap it out to be a SRI in the winters? or just leave it as a CAI?

Victorious52
06-25-2007, 12:13 PM
i just left it as cold CIA ... never swaped it. Never had a problem with leaving it CIA for the winter ... the plastic guards do enough to protect it from the snow and water ... like it was mentioned befor you only realy got a problem if your knee high in water

mz3_jeff
06-28-2007, 12:38 PM
I also never had a problem with my Mazdaspeed CAI.
My car is on Tein Stechs and I visited Blue Mountain as my second home.

Tizmee24
06-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Is there any CAI for sale

Unoriginalusername
06-28-2007, 01:13 PM
haven't had the speed through the winter yet to find out how it does with the cai (MS) but i had one on my last car for a few years and no issues

ksukh
07-26-2007, 04:25 PM
If you want a Mazdaspeed CAI...talk to Flip Dady, he'll hook you up!

phoenix_bladen
08-15-2007, 04:21 AM
my bro has a cai no problems at all for like 3 years and i don't relaly have to worry....

you know what ?

our stock intake actually goes all the way to the bottom too like a cold air intake to suck in air....... so if we haven't hada problem with the stock it shouldn't be a problem with the cai AND splash guard with the MS speed one cause esstentially they're the same height!!!

and yes having all that plastic covers make me feel safe!!

theurgy
08-15-2007, 11:30 AM
I have the K&N Typhoon Kit and come winter time it can convert to a SRI... then in the summer months I make it a CAI.

KOKKINO
08-15-2007, 03:11 PM
I have the Injen CAI...No Problems!!

sp3GT
08-15-2007, 03:25 PM
I recently got the Fujita, and I'm thinking if I should get the sock thing. Did you guys go through winter with splash guard or the sock thing.

bbell1984
10-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Have any of you guys that drive during the winter with your CAI drivin in fairly deep snow, for a period of time, so then the snow builds up in the wheel well? If so, have you had any issues?

Also, on a side note, when you install a CAI, does the wheel well liner need to be removed?

06Touring3
10-01-2008, 10:00 AM
you can install CAI in 2 ways....

1. by removing the liner...it's a LITTLE bit harder (since you have to fiddle with the stock air box to get it out)
2. removign the bumper

and as for the winter you shouldn't have any problems. This is my second car with a CAI and i haven't had any problems

whiteomega
10-01-2008, 04:08 PM
i drove with my CAI through last winter, which was somewhat unusual for Toronto as far as winters go. I did end up with snow packed through my wheel well on the nastier days, but it never was a problem; I never got a check engine light.

That being said, it's better if you can avoid driving through that kind of snow at all, but it shouldn't hurt your car if you drive carefully. Check the filter from time to time if you find yourself driving through lots of blowing snow; make sure it's reasonably clear.

bbell1984
10-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Ic ic, ya last winter i was commuting from oshawa to uxbridge which gets more snow than down here so i was very snowy almost every day. But i changed jobs and commute straight up taunton/steeles to markham rd from oshawa, so i'm not sure how that road will be during the winter. But thanks for the responses.

phoenix_bladen
10-26-2008, 12:01 AM
i have a mazdaspeed CAI on and i have never had any problems driving this winter and this winter was by far one of the worse winters we have had.

mazdaspeed comes with a splash guard which is very useful

and the car itself is covered with plastic on the bottom

so it's safe to say with all that protection you will have nothing to worry about

if you go with mazdaspeed that is ....... i don't know about the other brands but i don't think many of them come with a metal splash guard.

BenChan
10-26-2008, 09:00 PM
i have a cai on my 04 hatch .. ive been fighting cel for like the first month because of my filter i got .. just make sure the filter you get is not cheap .. and make sure the top of the filter is shut closed .. my filter i got was cheap (because i was cheap at the time) then i noticed that water will sit in my filter .. the top where there is an indent that sinks in waiting for water to sit there and to be sucked in. just get a filter that is shut at the top because if you car is sitting outside and its raining, water will DRIPP down to your filter and if your filters top is not shut .. then water will sit there waiting to be sucked up.

Effin Itai
11-21-2008, 08:03 PM
I have an AEM intake. The car does suck more gas than usual in the winter, even more with the intake in. I'd love to find a shield for the intake or design a plastic guard to fit againt the ribs of the wheel well. It does get exessively dirty there.

Noisy Crow
11-21-2008, 09:13 PM
I have an AEM intake. The car does suck more gas than usual in the winter, even more with the intake in. I'd love to find a shield for the intake or design a plastic guard to fit againt the ribs of the wheel well. It does get exessively dirty there.

Duct tape over the slots in the inner fender. (I believe the new cars, not sure as of which year, do no not have the slots).

intensity
11-22-2008, 04:14 AM
i have the fujita CAI and i've driven through puddles and snow without any problems. i've had it installed for just over a month and no problems so far. i also park my car outside too.

theurgy
11-23-2008, 06:20 PM
I run a CP-e CAI now and I have the sleeve on it.
So I'm not too worried.

11-24-2008, 11:37 AM
I had duct tape on the inside side of the fender to cover the fender holes.
Drove through 4 winters with Injen CAI on a 2004 Mazda 3 GT with no problems.

Veritaz
11-24-2008, 04:17 PM
3 winters with a K&N CAI. Never converted to SRI and not a single problem.

Trumphill
11-24-2008, 05:12 PM
What is the actual performance improvement with the CAI?

11-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Varies on the part brand and engine.
Check dyno charts from injen, aem, K&N, etc.

What is the actual performance improvement with the CAI?

bbell1984
11-25-2008, 12:39 PM
I run a CP-e CAI now and I have the sleeve on it.
So I'm not too worried.

Whats a CP-e CAI?

11-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Custom Performance Engineering
http://www.cp-e.com

Whats a CP-e CAI?

drunkmunky
12-01-2008, 11:02 PM
I don't mean to scare any of you but 3 years ago, I had a friend that got hydrolock on his car. He was dropped and he had a cold air intake as well without the AEM foam bypass which blocks the water.

It was march/april when all the snow begins to melt and he went into a big puddle. The air intake sucked in the water and he was done. Fortunately for him his nissan altima ka24de was dirt cheap and he replaced the engine.

I just wanted to let you guys know so you can make an informed decision. Stuff like that doesn't always happen, but be aware of it.

theurgy
12-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Alot of that depends on the design of the car, the CAI and the conditions it's put through.
I haven't heard many issues with regards to CAI and Hydrolock on the Mazda3 to be honest.

12-19-2008, 01:22 PM
First time actually hearing about hydrolock on a car with a CAI??
Was it installed properly??
Did you body drove thoug 3ft of water??
Could just be a CAI poor design?? Or the car does not allow for a CAI to be properly located (like not 1in from the ground)?

Anyway, never heard of hydro lock on a Mazda 3.
Had a CAI for 4 years and 4 winters, and drove though slush, water, puddles, etc. at any speeds and never had any problems.

There are no reasons to be afraid of installing a CAI, unless the car design is such that the CAI is like 1in from the ground and not protected from the elements.

Noisy Crow
12-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Doesn't happen often... but it can happen:
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=129530.0

12-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Hummmm,

He said there was a big ass lake in the middle of the street and decided to go for it. That should explain why.

But I meant that I never heard of a car not driven though a lake that hydro locked.