PDA

View Full Version : Vibrant front strut bar install issues

floating_weasel
07-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Had a strange issue when installing. It is hard to describe, but there are two metal rings on either side of the engine compartment, right up at the top towards the windshield. You have to replace them with the ones that come with the strut bar so you can screw the strut bar in. However, as soon as I took the three bolts out of each of the original rings, the top piece of metal that was drilled through and the bottom piece underneath where the screw actually screws into started to misalign. I mean it was really really off (so that half the screw well was not visible anymore). It was as if the weight of the engine or some such started to pull the underpiece off centre from the top piece. I ended up having to jack up the car to get them close enough to put the bolts back in with the strut bar holding replacements. Anyone else had this ? Makes me wonder if the vibrant replacements are strong enough as they are a bit thinner than the rings I took off so the hood can close properly.

Floating_weasel

eqlso
07-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Did you do this on an angled surface? Pretty sure the install should be done on fairly flat ground or they'll move.

CanadaGTO
07-13-2007, 12:43 AM
Never heard of that happening before. Like eqlso said, did you do it on a flat surface?

I've sold close to 40 now and not heard of something like that happening before..... weird. Lets see if anyone else has had it happen to them and I've just not heard back about it.

bubba1983
07-13-2007, 08:32 AM
that sounds really odd, im with the others, were you on a non flat surface? As it sounds liek the symptoms of a non flat surface!!!

sp3GT
07-13-2007, 09:51 AM
I used this when I put mine in, http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=30623.0

It's either you didn't move quick enough or you were on an angled surface causing this to happen.

yearoftherat
07-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Did mine myself and yeah if your driveways is not perfectly flat, the struts will prb move.

floating_weasel
07-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Mmmm. My driveway is fairly flat, but it is a bit wonky in places. Perhaps that is what happened. All's well that ends well I suppose. The bar is in and looks good. (Wondering where I will be doing mods now *grin*)

doughboyr6
07-13-2007, 04:23 PM
i used the above thread too, bean even explains what to do if it goes wrong. ie your situation.

Magitronic
07-16-2007, 09:00 PM
I thought it was best to install this mod well the car was on a hoist??? not true?? rumor??? :x