PDA

View Full Version : SUBWOOFER not working

sp3GT
07-20-2007, 05:24 PM
I have a 12inch JBL sub with a Rockford amp that powers it and also includes the BASS control knob.

Today I found that it doesn't seem to be pumping out any bass. I turned the knob to max (usually the whole car rattles) and nothing happened.

The sub is powered though cuz it makes an "UMPH" sound when I turn on the car and the BASS control knob still lights up.

I don't know what the problem is.

Thanks,

S.F.W.
07-20-2007, 05:42 PM
check the connectors on the side or back of the amp. The wires should feed through the coax connectors, and the connectors should then tighten. Often the wires can come loose.

sp3GT
07-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Check that already, that's connected pretty securely.

S.F.W.
07-20-2007, 05:57 PM
hmm, other thing I would try doing is tracing the wires back to Line out converter, making sur ethey are secure. I had that problem before. Aside from that, I'm not sure..

sp3GT
07-20-2007, 06:11 PM
I didn't do the install, so where would I find the LOC?

b
07-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Check your fuse. It could be the fuse from your battery to the power wire or it could be the fuse in the amp itself. Every time mine does... it is the fuse in the amp that needs to be replaced!

b
07-20-2007, 10:54 PM
I didn't do the install, so where would I find the LOC?

I had my loc behind my head unit. They may have installed it there.

dentinger
07-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Check your fuse. It could be the fuse from your battery to the power wire or it could be the fuse in the amp itself. Every time mine does... it is the fuse in the amp that needs to be replaced!

yupp. that happened too me.... my amp has two 30 amp fuses next to the connections. try checking those...

Kevin@nextmod
07-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Time to sell it or give it to me..!! :)

blue3
07-21-2007, 01:04 PM
try adjusting the gain on the amp ??

selective sound
07-23-2007, 12:37 PM
check the impedence on the woofer and check to see if you are getting proper voltage to the amp.

sp3GT
08-10-2007, 06:51 PM
I found that the problem only happens sometimes and it seems to be something with the bass controller knob. It goes into the amp kinda like a telephone jack type hole. It's pretty secure but for it to work again I have to kinda push it in more. If that makes sense.

What do you guys think?

WLS ZMZM
08-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Sounds like it could be a problem... just not sure how the bass controller would really effect it that much... do you have your bass boost controller run to the front of your car, when I had my bass controller it would always screw up since it was run teh length of the car what I did was get a shorter wire and keep it in the back of the car near the amp, i had it bolted on to the box so it wouldnt move... then got fed up of it.. and bought a different amp that didnt have the bass controller.. cuz I got fed up of it screwing up....

sp3GT
08-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Everything seems to be fine again rite now, the controller is right by my steering wheel.

But I also found that the wires that power my sub and amp at the battery were about to fall off, the gold piece that goes on to the Positive terminal of the battery had melted and deformed, lol.

WLS ZMZM
08-14-2007, 03:35 PM
thats not a good sign... you might want to get it redone... if the ring terminals are melting you have a serious problem my friend... and you should take it back to the shop who installed it for you.... cuz it sounds like they made quite the mess...

sp3GT
08-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Really? I thought it was just cause it's so hot cause I have a buddy club running off there rite now, and Hid's as well. I kinda just attached it back on right now.

Is it that big of deal, cause everything works right now.

WLS ZMZM
08-14-2007, 04:11 PM
yeah mon it's a big deal... it means the wiring they used was pretty shitty... and that the fuse you have their isn't big enough... this can cause a problem last time I tried running a boot leg fuse... I melted the fuse and case into one... (really messy) and blew part of my fuse panel under the dash in my civic.... which caused alot of trouble... if done properly the wire shouldn't melt and the wire shouldnt be "hanging off" the ring terminal, it means either they didn't do the job properly or didn't use proper materials.... which can both result in bad situations.... as for the hid's they should be running off their own power source and fuse.... not sharing one.... if they are.. thats super bootleg!!! maybe the issue with this is linked to the issue with your HID's ????

sp3GT
08-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Just to avoid confusion, I have HID, Sub & amp and buddyclub running off the battery, like connected to the positive/negativer terminals.

The materials used for the sub shoudn't be crap I got my whole package at best buy and the wiring used is decent I'd say. So I don't think it's a materials problem. The buddyclub shoudn't be much of an issue because it uses like no power. And HID's aren't even drawing that much right?

WLS ZMZM
08-14-2007, 04:29 PM
okay.. buying the wiring kit at best buy... doesn't mean a thing... please oh please tell me your system was not installed there.... cuz they don't know their ass from their face..... A proper system install would not result in the wiring melting...... and if thats teh case its a really small gauge wiring... you should be running at minimum 8 gauge wiring... and that shouldn't melt if your running a good amp.. you should be running a 4 gauge wire... as for the rest of it.. you should have a seperate fuse for your HID's and a seperate fuse for your system.. they shouldn't be sharing a fuse on the positive terminal. when you open my battery compartment, there are two fuses connected to the terminal one 20 amp fuse for my Hid's and an 80 amp fuse for my amp & subs.... not sure where you got your system installed but I'd be a little concerned.....

sp3GT
08-14-2007, 04:39 PM
They do have separeate fuses cause I have a fuse on the relay for the HID and there's a massive fuse for the wiring. It is an 8 guage I just checked, it was installed at Best Buy. I only got my system there cause a friend of mine worked there.

This sucks I don't know what to do, now you got me all concerned. lol

WLS ZMZM
08-14-2007, 05:02 PM
sorry man..... I've just had bad experience with them.. again.. a good installer would know that 8 gauge is hardly used for a system install...... especially for a power wire.... not knocking your buddies ability... as an installer... just have very bad experience with them.... Like I said.. hot or not your wiring shouldn't be melting that shows that its not hooked up properly nad its over heating... which can blow your electrical...... you might want someone to have a look at it... or take it to a shop and have them take a look at it...... would just hate to see something happen to your car!!

sp3GT
08-14-2007, 05:08 PM
I guess I could bring it back or come out to a meet and see how everyone else has it set up.

bubba1983
08-14-2007, 05:11 PM
melting connectors is not a good sign, go back and get that checked, or go to a proper audio shop.

sp3GT
08-14-2007, 05:12 PM
It's just the Gold part on the positive that kinda melted, it's like a little deformed.

bubba1983
08-14-2007, 05:16 PM
is it melted, or jus twisted, melting is never a good sign. power surge, arking (sp), too smalla fuse....
think of it this way, if any of your stock wiring was melting...would you find that appeasing?

WLS ZMZM
08-14-2007, 05:21 PM
:agree

Bubba has a valid point... I wouldn't wait to bring it to a meet I'd take it somewhere to get it looked at.... cuz I'd be alittle concerned like I said when my other amp kit melted on my civic... it ended up sparking and blew part of my fuse box.... which meant I had to replace it.... better to be safe then sorry.....

sp3GT
08-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Where would you guys suggest? I think my 1 year warranty with Best Buy is up.

WLS ZMZM
08-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Well I wouldnt recommend going back to them.. I think you should probably hit up a "proper" shop..... it might cost you a little more.. but it will be well worth it.... check out one of the sponsors..... either at audioheaven.... or at Lockdown.. I'm sure they'd be able to take a look and help you out...

bubba1983
08-14-2007, 05:28 PM
any one of the audio sponsors on here would be more than sufficient i think
audio haven
selective sounds
lockdown enterprises
im by no means an electrical guru, but i know that wires are meant to handle a corresponding power load, pending on their thickness and so on....

it could be something totally different, but id say its worth piece of mind to drop in and have them shoot their opinion.

WLS ZMZM
08-14-2007, 05:36 PM
better to nip it in the butt, before it becomes something serious

sp3GT
08-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Ya, I'll prob hit up lockdown since I want to pick up a set of wiper blades too.