PDA

View Full Version : Street Unit Engine Mount - Review

doughboyr6
07-21-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm bored right now and sitting on my deck killing time, so i'd thought i'd give my review of the mount.

I was originally debating on purchasing the Corksport Engine mount inserts instead. At an attractive price of $30USD, it was hard to pass. They also ship via USPS to Canada. But after having read Skarbro's review of the mount and some others from this board, it was enough to persuade me go with the SU mount instead.

I purchased this mount from CTA Patrique awhile back. Transaction was great as usual. Met him at his work, paid and grabbed my stuff. Receipts and instructions were also provided. Great guy to work with. I think this was my 2nd or 3rd purchase from him. Price was i think around $120ish, give or take a bit, tax-in.

I'm not very mechanically inclined, but very picky about who works on my car. I need to have the confidence knowing that the person who will be wrenching will treat the car as if their own and make sure everything is done just right and won't settle for a 1/2 ass job. I trust a fellow board member with solid based mechanical knowledge over a cheap mechanic anyday. Reason being, i know that they love this particular car as much as i do (hence they are on the board), and typically speaking they do all the reasearch before doing something to the car (as it is their own car as well). Hence i approached Skarbro to help with the install. Rather than help, he actually did the whole thing for me....lol

He is meticoulous about his work, he checks and 2x checks everything. Everything is done by the book.

Now onto the product itself.

There certainly is a break in period. I'd say about 500-1000kms. From the first turn of the key after i had it installed, i've been grinning like an idiot. I've had the mount on now for about 5000kms

The car sounds different upon startup, and the car has a sexy rumble to it. Then once the revs settle down, there's really no difference.

The mount itself does translate more engine noise or whatever noise it is into the cabin. My car was marginally louder after the install of the mount, now i've just gotten used to it.

With the a/c on, the car does vibrate at idle, and when the compressor comes on, it vibrates even more. If the a/c is off, there is hardly to no noticeable difference. This is only applicable to when idling. When driving you won't feel the vibrations other than when noted below.

THe most vibration you will feel is when you are starting from a stop and pulling away at around 700rpm. That's when the whole car shudders. But that largely has to depend on your driving style as well. Some people rev to 1k before letting out the clutch, but for me, i barely even use the gas till i'm already rolling. But once past 1k, there's no vibration.

The driving experience have been much improved since the mount. Wheel hop has been mostly eliminated. It can still be produced, but no where near as often as before. When launched from stop at a moderate speed, the tires will just peel out, but not skip and hop like before. No more bucking action when the tires do grip, its rather a smooth transition now for the tires to grip and launching the car forward.

Shifting is smoother. I've been driving a manual for 10 years now and while i'm not the smoothest of shifters, i'm not that bad. Since the mount my shifts have become even smoother.

My favorite part about the mount is that, it took away the drive lash (i'm not sure if that is the right term to use). It used to be that i step on the gas and the car will take awhile for it to start moving and catch up to what my foot was asking. Kinda like lag if you will. It used to feel like i step on the gas and the car will slowly wind itself up and then start moving. Now with the mount, its more connected/direct and instantaneous. I step on the gas and it starts going.

Other than that, i think i've covered off pretty much all the aspects of the mount. I want to thank CTA Patrique for selling a great product and Skarbro for installing the mount.

doughboyr6
07-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Skarbo, wanna put in a CAI for me?

CanadaGTO
07-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Good to see you like it doughboyr6.

I've had mine of for quite a while now and I think it's great. :)

Skarbro
07-21-2007, 09:12 PM
Skarbo, wanna put in a CAI for me?
Heh... I would love to - you know I would. I'm just a tad busy with the newborn these days. If you're willing to wait a little, I can help you out. :)

Great review BTW. I echo everything you said.

JPAV8S4U
07-22-2007, 03:07 AM
Wow... sounds great! I am almost considering this now... grrrrrrr... The "lag" is a PITA! But not sure if I wanna put in a motor mount as I might be included in the Vlad club at MOT...... I think ill leave that to him.... ;)

Skarbro
07-22-2007, 07:20 AM
Wow... sounds great! I am almost considering this now... grrrrrrr... The "lag" is a PITA! But not sure if I wanna put in a motor mount as I might be included in the Vlad club at MOT...... I think ill leave that to him.... ;)
What are you worried about?

JPAV8S4U
07-22-2007, 10:45 AM
What are you worried about?

Well... I dont want to dig up dirt from the past... But the story has it that a warranty was revoked due to the installing of an aftermarket motor mount... but I could be mistaken or there could have been a lot more to it.... Im thinking/hoping that it is the second... I would love to reduce that "lag"... it is amost emabrassing....

Skarbro
07-22-2007, 10:58 AM
I see no way they can void a warranty because of this mount. They would have to prove that it is the cause of the problem.

KenYork
07-22-2007, 09:29 PM
+1 the SU mount is awsome

WeatherB
07-30-2007, 07:52 PM
How do you guys deal with the teeth-shattering vibrations when starting up from a stand-still? I need to book an appointment with my dentist to reinstall my fillings. :chuckle

Other than that, I'm extremely happy with mine.

P.S. I've had mine for about 30KM so far, and expect it to become a lot better when I get to 500 / 1000KM.

KenYork
07-30-2007, 10:02 PM
The vibes don't bother me.. but i'll see in the winter when the cars starts colder.

Skarbro
07-31-2007, 05:25 AM
How do you guys deal with the teeth-shattering vibrations when starting up from a stand-still? I need to book an appointment with my dentist to reinstall my fillings. :chuckle

Other than that, I'm extremely happy with mine.

P.S. I've had mine for about 30KM so far, and expect it to become a lot better when I get to 500 / 1000KM.
It's not even close to teeth-shattering when I start mine. Sure it's a little louder, deeper, and (dare-say-I) better-sounding, but it certainly isn't waking the neighbours or anything.

WeatherB
07-31-2007, 07:28 AM
It's not even close to teeth-shattering when I start mine. Sure it's a little louder, deeper, and (dare-say-I) better-sounding, but it certainly isn't waking the neighbours or anything.

Skarbro, I don't mean when the engine is starting up, but rather when you first start mixing in the clutch/gas in 1st gear. I've been trying different rpms to minimize the vibrations, and it seems that either I will have to live with the vibrations or burn-up the clutch. Anything under 1500 will vibrate in my situation. This will probably get better after breakin.

Skarbro
07-31-2007, 07:38 AM
Skarbro, I don't mean when the engine is starting up, but rather when you first start mixing in the clutch/gas in 1st gear. I've been trying different rpms to minimize the vibrations, and it seems that either I will have to live with the vibrations or burn-up the clutch. Anything under 1500 will vibrate in my situation. This will probably get better after breakin.
Ah yes, I know what you mean. The vibrations when shifting into 1st will always be like that under 1,500 RPMs. I guess I've gotten used to revving it just to the point where it stops vibrating to shift into 1st - which is about 1,500.

WeatherB
07-31-2007, 09:31 AM
Actually, the drive to work today was a lot better this morning. I think the mount is breaking in nicely.

My car feels extremely sporty and has a nice rumble to it now. :)

Fobio
04-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Nice that I'm posting right after WeatherB despite picking up HIS RMA'd SU engine mount...how ironic...

Anyway, yeah...big thumbs way up!

No more drive chatter...car just picks-up and go...and I hope everyone reads this:

I was a little embarassed when I kept getting these messy take-offs with the car...not even launching it and it'd lurch and shit...like I didn't know how to drive standard (which I've been doing since 1995)...anyway, now there's no 1st gear lurch and even the low-speed 1-2 shift is smooth! WOW

Yeah, there's rumble...but it's nice...like a purring...I love it...and I wish it wouldn't go away...since I think only I can feel it anyway...will have fiancee butt-test soon!

Anyway...great mod! This along with the TWM shifter bushings are the best mod/dollar for the MS3.

Soyabean
04-15-2008, 11:54 PM
What are the shifter bushings for? and perfect timing to see this thread. Im getting one of these soon

Fobio
04-16-2008, 12:02 AM
chk out my review of the bushings...

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23494&highlight=twm+bushing

mleblond
05-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Installed mine today with the help of Gizzmo_jr and I am hitting myself for not doing this earlier!

It makes all the difference in the world for the first couple gears! I now feel more comfortable off the line to gain my speed :)

If your still on the stock engine mount stop wasting your time and replace it ASAP!

Thanks again CTA_Patrique for selling me the part and quick shipping :)

I also painted mine black with black caliper paint...more stealth without paying the extra that SU would charge and it looked good!...sorry no pics available :(

Dragazn
05-18-2008, 02:00 PM
It seems every one has a manual. Would the Motormount make a big difference on an automatic?

Fobio
05-19-2008, 01:20 AM
To be honest, I think it makes the most improvements on a MS3 where the torque of the engine exerts a greater force on the mount...

joe_rocket65
03-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Put mine in a few weeks ago. Loving it. Bye bye wheel hop!