PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Timer/Cooldown

kid_icarus
07-23-2007, 08:53 AM
MS3 owners, just wondering if any of you let the car idle/run for a minute or what not before you turn the car off?

I know that sometimes its necessary to let the intercooler, (correction, the turbo) cool down to prevent heat damage or overheating.

Let me know what you guys think.

I'm going to get the option activated on my compustar eventually, but until then, should I let the car run for a minute? 30 seconds?

Aitch
07-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Idling the car is actually to let the oil circulate through the turbo while it cools, to prevent oil coking on the seals in the turbo, not for the intercooler.

Having said that, I assume the MS3 has water lines to the turbo as well as oil? If that's the case, and you don't shut your car off immediately after hard acceleration, normally you don't really have to worry about idling the car before shutting it off. The water lines will help the turbo cool down as the coolant continues to circulate after the engine is shut off.

SpeedBaby
07-23-2007, 10:13 AM
i just use the compustar turbotimer - never had an issue with it.

kid_icarus
07-23-2007, 10:46 AM
i just use the compustar turbotimer - never had an issue with it.

how long do you have the setting for? 1 min? definitely not 10 right?

midnightfxgt
07-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Keep in mind.....

Most of your harder driving whil in boost is on the highway. By the time your off the highway, and driving through the residential areas and slower roads, your not in boost as much (most people :P). During this time, your turbo is cooling down anyways. Corkey Bell doesnt feel there is a need for Turbo Timers, and hes the turbo man ;)

If you just finished a track run, or a really hard drive while in boost for a long time, a cooldown of 30sec or so should be enough. I dont like that the Compustar is 2mins always.

-John

Garu
07-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Welp, if i drove her hard, a minute cool down. I didn't, about 30~40 seconds.

SpeedBaby
07-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Keep in mind.....

Most of your harder driving whil in boost is on the highway. By the time your off the highway, and driving through the residential areas and slower roads, your not in boost as much (most people :P). During this time, your turbo is cooling down anyways. Corkey Bell doesnt feel there is a need for Turbo Timers, and hes the turbo man ;)

If you just finished a track run, or a really hard drive while in boost for a long time, a cooldown of 30sec or so should be enough. I dont like that the Compustar is 2mins always.

-John

The new compustars have a programmable turbo timer mode for 1,2 or 4 minutes..

midnightfxgt
07-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Thats cool! I know mine (900FM) is supposed to only have a 2min setting.

I am still debating enabling it. I dont think I will. I dont see a huge need, as my turbo will be ball bearing, and should cool down quickly. The MS3 have water lines so they should to. That being said, it never hurts to cool it down. Worst case is you burn a lil extra fuel. :)

yellowmp5
07-23-2007, 11:13 AM
dunno about MS3, but ppl were havin' trouble installin' TURBO TIMER alone
on MS6..becuz when car is @ idling...the car will not lock...(especially w/ the smart key system)
unless you have an aftermarket alarm+turbo timer (computerstart as mentioned above) however, i usually don't boost 5 min b4 i reach
my destination (unless i have to) and j/ sit in the park car until
the rest of the song is finished...(around 30sec-2min)

Unoriginalusername
07-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Having said that, I assume the MS3 has water lines to the turbo as well as oil? If that's the case, and you don't shut your car off immediately after hard acceleration, normally you don't really have to worry about idling the car before shutting it off. The water lines will help the turbo cool down as the coolant continues to circulate after the engine is shut off.

After driving at freeway speeds or up a long hill, idle the engine at least 30 seconds to cool the turbo before turning off the engine. Avoid simply shutting the engine off abruptly after a hard or long drive. Damage to the turbocharger may result.

Owners mannual says ^^^

midnightfxgt
07-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Yup, but once you get off the highway, your turbo is cooling down anyways :)

Unoriginalusername
07-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Yup, but once you get off the highway, your turbo is cooling down anyways :)

i do 20-30 seconds anyways, have since new... i also don't have any white smoke at idle

PlatMS6
07-23-2007, 09:07 PM
There is no need to have it idle 1+min

Like mentioned above the turbo is water cooled unlike most out there. Just stay out of boost for 3-5 mins before comming home...

Garu
07-23-2007, 09:11 PM
There is no need to have it idle 1+min

Like mentioned above the turbo is water cooled unlike most out there. Just stay out of boost for 3-5 mins before comming home...

That's very hard to do...

Unoriginalusername
07-23-2007, 09:16 PM
That's very hard to do...

x2

kid_icarus
07-23-2007, 09:45 PM
lol. Yeah, the highway to my house is like pure 3 lane straightaway main roads that are pretty empty on most nights. I think i'll go with the 1 min turbotimer on my compustar. Although, sometimes i'd prefer to park the car in gear... sigh

Unoriginalusername
07-23-2007, 09:51 PM
lol. Yeah, the highway to my house is like pure 3 lane straightaway main roads that are pretty empty on most nights. I think i'll go with the 1 min turbotimer on my compustar. Although, sometimes i'd prefer to park the car in gear... sigh

whatever you are comfortable with, ... was it you that got the demo ms3 from mot? if that's the case and it has a few thousand km broken in doing the wait and see technique not sure since the car is broken in already that it makes sense to add it at this point, might be cheaper to just wait the 30 seconds like the manual says

kid_icarus
07-23-2007, 10:13 PM
whatever you are comfortable with, ... was it you that got the demo ms3 from mot? if that's the case and it has a few thousand km broken in doing the wait and see technique not sure since the car is broken in already that it makes sense to add it at this point, might be cheaper to just wait the 30 seconds like the manual says

Yeah i got the demo. Not sure if the original driver had waited for it to cool down or not. Might already have some wear and tear, but might want to do my best to keep it in good shape now.

Wild Weasel
07-24-2007, 11:33 AM
I was gonna post the text from the manual as well. :) Basically, if I've driven casually for a few minutes before stopping then I don't bother, but if I've been pushing it, then I always wait at least 30 seconds before turning it off. Better safe than sorry. :)

Unoriginalusername
07-24-2007, 02:18 PM
I was gonna post the text from the manual as well. :) Basically, if I've driven casually for a few minutes before stopping then I don't bother, but if I've been pushing it, then I always wait at least 30 seconds before turning it off. Better safe than sorry. :)

x2 that's my strategy

ptfire
10-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Turbo timers are a waste of money. When your car is idling there isn't enough oil pressure to circulate sufficent oil to cool the turbo. The best way is to drive easy for 2 minutes before you reach your destination.

alhope34
11-21-2007, 08:40 PM
I usually let mine run a minute before I turn her off. Usually just till the end of the song playing, haha.

Wild Weasel
11-22-2007, 08:26 AM
If you do that all the time, then it's a waste. As mentioned above, you only need to cool it down if you've been doing something that would unusually heat it up. :)

royroy
11-22-2007, 02:35 PM
for manual cars... the compustar shuts off the car roughly 10-20 sec after u close the doors.. and it locks itself after =) a lil less then the turbo timer..

dustyrhodes
03-07-2008, 01:45 PM
this is a must if you have been doing zero to sixty runs, or on the highway at high rpms with the turbo spooling for a long time

Unoriginalusername
03-07-2008, 01:52 PM
this is a must if you have been doing zero to sixty runs, or on the highway at high rpms with the turbo spooling for a long time

oh thank goodness for closure, i've been idling my car since the last post in this topic in november to be safe :chuckle

midnightfxgt
03-07-2008, 01:58 PM
oh thank goodness for closure, i've been idling my car since the last post in this topic in november to be safe :chuckle

LOL!!!!

The Compustar (mine anyways) shuts the car off and arms the car when the dome light shuts off. (Couple seconds).

-John

dustyrhodes
03-07-2008, 01:59 PM
turbos actually will get hot enough that they will glow red!!!!
i know this because i have seen my dads twin turbo do this on the highway!!!!
its a rear engine...

dustyrhodes
03-07-2008, 02:02 PM
basically all the oil will run out of it and if you turn it off whats left will get gunky. so you let it idle to refresh it but really only for a minute....and keep it up i let it idle even if i havent been driving hard because its good for it. anyone tells you otherwise let there turbo break down on the highway.....

Speedy2008
03-22-2008, 03:18 PM
How would the Speed 3 perform without the turbo? Just like the GS or GT model?

Unoriginalusername
03-24-2008, 05:25 PM
How would the Speed 3 perform without the turbo? Just like the GS or GT model?

well given its heavier with the same get up and go it'd probably be slower around the track despite maybe getting better peak cornering speeds with the suspension/tires .... if you removed everything completely then you'd have your normal mazda3 and it would handle the same :chuckle

Speedy2008
03-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Ok then, I'm glad mine came with a turbo but I'd also be happy with the GT model...if it was painted Cosmic Blue.

joedemarco
08-13-2011, 12:18 PM
basically all the oil will run out of it and if you turn it off whats left will get gunky. so you let it idle to refresh it but really only for a minute....and keep it up i let it idle even if i havent been driving hard because its good for it. anyone tells you otherwise let there turbo break down on the highway.....

my buddy has never let his turbo cool or warm up in his GLI, he agrees with "When your car is idling there isn't enough oil pressure to circulate sufficent oil to cool the turbo", the oil is too hot when its circulating unless you have a really good oil coolerits not going to do anything, the only way your going to cool it, is for it to stop running (movement = heat)

just a thought....

AkitoI
08-16-2011, 11:20 AM
no warm up either? I would at least let the idle stabilize before taking off like a bat.... I realize that oil will flow pretty quick when started but whey take the risk that it hasn't circulated warm(ish) oil?

joedemarco
08-20-2011, 12:52 PM
no warm up either? I would at least let the idle stabilize before taking off like a bat.... I realize that oil will flow pretty quick when started but whey take the risk that it hasn't circulated warm(ish) oil?

here's a tip...dont take off like a bat:huge smile, I dont like my speed warm up, I just drive slow and easy till it warms up then I can start driving normal, accelerate slow up to speed shift nice and easy as opposed to hammering it and doing damage.

rzapata
08-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Well, all good suggestions and opinions.... :) For myself, idle for 1 min all the time.. Don't want to risk anything, knowing that problems might occur. Plus, manual says 30 sec, and I want to be safer than that. To OP, turbo timers are a waste IMO, I say just wait the 30-60 seconds. I mean, a minute is nothing compared to the time we all spend in the forums. :) :) :)

gar_lei
10-04-2011, 02:42 PM
i have a turbo timer built-in to my remote starter. I programmed it to 1min.

joedemarco
10-04-2011, 07:24 PM
i have a turbo timer built-in to my remote starter. I programmed it to 1min.

I was just about to post about this, what kind of remote starter do you have? Im looking to buy one for this winter (obviously) and I wasnt sure if there was one of those hi tech starters (GPS locator etc) with a TT also. PM me or Post here, also please include where you bought it, price, website maybe for more info??!! Sorry to have slightly highjacked this thread and turned it into a remote starer thread :P

joedemarco
10-05-2011, 02:09 AM
so just as confirmation, I let me car run for about 5 min before I drive it in the morning, after its sat for many many hours, but even still once I start driving the shifting is very rough and clunky and once the vehicle begins to warm up shifting becomes smoother...is this a factor when driving a cold vehicle?

Mr Wilson
10-05-2011, 06:48 AM
If stationary the tranny fluid does't heat up, it does so once you are moving.

vinnierap
10-05-2011, 04:20 PM
I have always used "compustar pro" 2 way pager, turbo timer option, very good range for starting and unlocking.

Currently I do not have a starter and just let the car warm up for a minute and drive slower for the first little bit. When I park I idle for a minute, better safe than sorry.

gar_lei
04-16-2012, 05:51 PM
I was just about to post about this, what kind of remote starter do you have? Im looking to buy one for this winter (obviously) and I wasnt sure if there was one of those hi tech starters (GPS locator etc) with a TT also. PM me or Post here, also please include where you bought it, price, website maybe for more info??!! Sorry to have slightly highjacked this thread and turned it into a remote starer thread :P

Hey

I have the compustar pro series. bought it when I was working at a shop before.

gar_lei
04-16-2012, 05:52 PM
http://www.compustar.com/products/pro/RF-P2W901-SS.html

That's the one I have

joedemarco
04-16-2012, 06:15 PM
http://www.compustar.com/products/pro/RF-P2W901-SS.html

That's the one I have

What do you think about the unit? How was its performance over the last winter? Is range any where near what is advertised?

SKYMP3
04-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Most 2 way compustar alarm/starter has the turbo timer feature.
Mine is the older one but I have that turbo timer feature since 3 yrs ago.

gar_lei
04-16-2012, 07:33 PM
What do you think about the unit? How was its performance over the last winter? Is range any where near what is advertised?

Performance is good, of course range is not really close to advertised but reasonable. With the new models I added the keypad so I can unlock my door if I 4got my keys or when my remote is out of battery. Also have the new sensor that locks the tilt if the car moves by 2 degree alarm will go off.

captobvious75
04-22-2012, 01:02 PM
turbo timers are a waste of money imo... sit in your car and count to 30

gar_lei
04-22-2012, 02:16 PM
turbo timers are a waste of money imo... sit in your car and count to 30

Not when it comes with ur alarm starter~

SKYMP3
04-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Not when it comes with ur alarm starter~

+1

I wont see myself sitting in the cars for 30 sec when I'm already getting late to work.
2way Compsutar combo with Turbo Timer FTW.

cSPEED
04-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Turbo timers alone are definitely a huge waste of money, as captain obvious said.

Remote start + alarm that just so happens to have a turbo timer is a completely different story though :P