PDA

View Full Version : Popular Springs Members' Review

3GFX
07-25-2007, 07:13 PM
First off, I'd like to say the start of this thread is the end to many questions; that being the reason I started it.

After much research on both TM3 and M3F I did not come up with any straight answers or reviews that I was looking for. I'd like to thank many of the members on this forum who I messaged privately flooding them with questions and they returned many answers. All of your help and experience has been very helpful in making some decisions as well as swaying my thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following is review, stats and description of popular springs. Open to further questions and comments about different lowering springs. Please contribute your advice and experiences with your springs as I'd like to make this a sticky for future 'droppers'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POPULAR SUSPENSION REVIEW

DATA FROM HERE: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=18747.0

DROP RANGE: 0 - 0.75"

RACING BEAT
DROP: 0.5" around
SPRING RATE: unknown
DESCRIPTION: Small drop, performance/handling oriented. barely visible. Decent ride, not to harsh. Supposedly 30% stiffer than stock.

STOCK MAZDASPEED 3 SPRINGS
DROP: sedan 0.2" hatch 0.5" around
DESCRIPTION: Small drop, performance/handling oriented. barely visible. Decent ride, stiffer than stock. Will fit non-speed 3's.

DROP RANGE: 0.76 - 1.25"

MAZDASPEED AFTERMARKET
DROP: 1.2" around
DESCRIPTION: Mid level drop. Appropriate for many rims sizes without rubbing issues. Believed to be rebadged Eibach Pro-Kits (see Eibach).

EIBACH PRO-KIT
DROP: 1.2" around
SPRING RATE: (F) 160 (R) 171
DESCRIPTION: Mild drop, visual and handling oriented. Noticable drop with stiffer ride. Main choice between many owners for lowering their 3.

H & R
DROP: 1.3" Front 1,2" Rear
SPRING RATE:
DESCRIPTION: Mild drop, visual and slightly handling oriented. Noticable drop with slightly stiffer ride. Rare expensive choice. Not very stiff causing noticable camber wear.

TEIN H-TECH
DROP: SEDAN - 0.9" front 0.5" rear HATCH - 1.2" front 0.9" rear
SPRING RATE: (F) 150 (R) 220
DESCRIPTION: Mild drop, visual and comfort mild handling oriented. Noticable drop. Front known to sag up to 0.2" more than specified. Noted between owners as best ride quality with a drop.

DROP RANGE: 1.26 - 2.00"

EIBACH SPORTILINE
DROP: 1.8" Around
SPRING RATE: (F) 97 - 280 (R) 114 - 303
DESCRIPTION: Large drop, visual and slightly handling oriented. Noticable drop with stiffer ride overall but comfortable because of progressive spring rate. Main choice between many owners for lowering their 3 to the ground. A great spring for an ultra low setup all around. Wheel/tire size sensative to rubbing.

TEIN S-TECH
DROP: SEDAN - 1.6" front 1.1" rear HATCH - 2.0" front 1.5" rear
SPRING RATE: (F) 160 (R) 240
DESCRIPTION: Large drop, visual and handling oriented. Noticable drop. Commented as being stiffer than the sportlines with near drop. Front known to sag up to 0.2" more than specified. A good look while retaining a stiff but not unreasonable ride. Wheel/tire combination sensative to rubbing.

CANUCK MOTORSPORTS
DROP: SEDAN - 1.55" front 1.55" rear HATCH - 1.75" front 1.75" rear
SPRING RATE: (F) (R)
DESCRIPTION: Large drop, visual and budget oriented. Noticable drop. Not a very well known spring. Canadian made for budget minded motorists. Spring rate is unknown, but is assumed to be on the softer side of lowering spring rates.

WHAT IS A SPRING? Learn Here: http://www.turnfast.com/tech_handling/handling_springs.shtml
Thanks 'Turn Fast' for the article and to Fuman for the link.

3GFX
07-25-2007, 07:20 PM
I don't mean to double post, but I just wanted to ask my question outside of the above data.

I'm tied between the H-Tech and Pro-Kit. Many of you have mentioned s-Tech, but cyberscorpi has the same wheel/tire setup and he said the shop he got his car lowered at recommended not to go lower than Pro-Kits.

I've just got some questions about the Pro-Kits and H-Techs. How do the two stack up. I like the H-Tech, but I don't want the front to sag much lower than the rear. I was also wondering if the whole car will sag because 0.9 and 0.5 for the sedan isn't much of a drop.

Also how is the H-Tech handling. I want it to be stiffer than stock, and still be lower. What do you guys think?

S.F.W.
07-25-2007, 07:49 PM
From the test drives I took with a few members cars before I selected my springs, I found the H tech to be too soft for my taste. That's why I went pro kit, and never looked back.

sp3GT
07-25-2007, 08:19 PM
I have been on H-techs for about 6 months now. The front does sag a little but it's not that big of a difference when compared to the back. I think it might be a problem if you have a sedan. Since 1.1 and 0.5 is a pretty big difference.

I felt that handling was improved when cornering. I don't have any other aftermarket suspension parts but the H-techs seem to eliminate some body roll.

dr1ft3r
07-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Whats wrong with sportline? it has bigger drop rate and is cheaper than prokits?

sp3GT
07-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Whats wrong with sportline? it has bigger drop rate and is cheaper than prokits?

If you don't change your shocks, the stock ones will be finished faster. And you have a chance of rubbing if you go with other tire sizes.

dr1ft3r
07-25-2007, 08:46 PM
so sporline no good? dang...anybody on sportlines had this problem? i haven't read anything like that here. coz sporlines would have been my choice when i choose to lower my car.

cyberscorpi0
07-25-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm still loving my Prokits Bro! So far, no rubbing or tire wear.

The drop is not as dramatic as Sportsline, but with our Wheel size and Offset; (If installed with Sportsline) I'm afraid every little bumps or humps will result in rubbing or worst tire damage.

FLIPDADY
07-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Not another spring thread.:rant

Dave man make up your mind already and get some springs!!

From what I've seen majority of the people are running Pro-Kits. With your current set-up you should be fine man. I've been running on S-Techs since I got my 3 on and off. I got mad camber wear but hey they look good and the car handles great still on stock shocks w/ 105,000km.

So someone sell this guy some Pro-Kits!! Keep in mind you might need a camber kit even w/ Pro-Kits.

3GFX
07-25-2007, 11:21 PM
lol, yea I bet I'm stepping on a few people's nerves with all the questions. Hehe. Sorry Joe ;)

I just wanted to post up all the info I've gotten so no one else will have to search as much as I did. The M3F posting is great but each member has their own experience with springs and I wanted to share that with everyone in one final thread, hehe.

If I had the money, I'd buy ///M's coil overs (bump) but that is my problem. I might have come across a good deal for H-Techs, but I still think I'm going to go Pro-Kits. This summer just seems to be an expensive one, with a lot of regular maintenance. Springs are hard to justify on my budget and unfortunatly I missed the boat on some good deals for Pro-Kits. The problem is going with new Pro-Kits and even with good prices it's a healthy $400. On a student budget, its a hard chew.

I'll admit the biggest problem here is that I want springs sooooo bad, but I ain't got the buck to support the habbit :p

I assure everyone this is my last spring thread. I hope for everyone else this helps them most of all!!!

EDIT: Dr1ft3r, Sportlines are a great spring, but my wheel/tire setup, and the fact that I live in the boonies (rough winter) I just can't go that low. STechs and Sportlines won't be my cup of tea.

sp3GT
07-25-2007, 11:44 PM
Since we're on the spring topic, you guys think H-techs can handle London weather?

3GFX
07-26-2007, 12:05 AM
sp3GT. I don't think H-Techs would have many issues from what I've heard. If anything they are slightly higher than the pro-kits (at least in the rear). They are slightly softer to which means they be a little better ride over rough stuff.

Kevin@nextmod
07-26-2007, 12:06 AM
I said it a billion times....go prokits or do'nt drop your car at all.

3GFX
07-26-2007, 12:10 AM
I said it a billion times....go prokits or do'nt drop your car at all.

Plain and simple! lol. I know I know....guess I'll be saving a little longer :bang

Kevin@nextmod
07-26-2007, 12:12 AM
And i'm serious too. I think i'm the one that have used both on this board (AFAIK), so i have enough experience to tell you which one is better. Not trying to brag but just trying to give you the best suggestion and recommendation.

I actually missed the prokits cause they are so much stiffer then the sporlines i have now. But hey..nothing is perfect..

3GFX
07-26-2007, 12:19 AM
I PM'd Juan because at one point he had H-Techs before his Pro-Kits as well, but he's been busy.

Its just odd that Tein has different specs between hatch and sedan eh?

sp3GT
07-26-2007, 12:39 AM
I PM'd Juan because at one point he had H-Techs before his Pro-Kits as well, but he's been busy.

If I had a sedan I would definitely go for pro-kits, the 0.9 and 0.5 doesn't sound too noticeable.

WhiteSpeed3
07-26-2007, 11:04 AM
i got a set of S-Tech but i dont know if they will be to low for a speed

wat u guys think

Kevin@nextmod
07-26-2007, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't suggest putting S-tech on a speed. Its too soft for the car and for sure you're going to be disappointed after you put it on. Cause its going to be much softer then your stock setup.

Magitronic
07-27-2007, 12:32 PM

The reason for the difference in drop is due to the weight of the sedan vs. the hatch. Id be surprised if the hatch on prokits didnt drop more then for the sedan as well. Also your stock mazdapseed3 spring information is wrong. Everyone THOUGHT that they would provide a half inch drop all around based on the specs. But no one took into account that the mazdapseed3 weighs almost 400 pounds more then the stock mazda3 sedan, about 250 more then the hatch. I suspect the hatch would of gotten close to a half inch drop all around but the sedan definitly didnt. Infact its a little funny. When i first put the stock speed3 springs on my sedan the front RAISED, but once settling id say it sits nearly the same as stock springs, maybe a little lower. The back droped tho, at least a inch. Maybe a bit more. Now that its all settling tho it actully doesnt look weird. Ill post a picture later tonight. Anyway, regardless im not that happy as I think the stock speed3 springs would be much better for someone with a hatchback and will be reselling them and picking up prokits .. not the biggest drop but i dont think i can justify m// coilovers ethier :P

3GFX
07-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the info (updated)! I know the drops are different between the sedan and hatch because of the weight differance, I'm just suprised the drop differance isn't more significant in the rear and less so in the front!

Magitronic
07-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Ya I was shocked two, my guess is that the bulk of the extra weight for the speed3 is in the engine compartment (turbo, intercooler etc etc) and so they made the front springs stiffer then the other models and so when switched over to the other mazda3 models becuz they dont have those engine components it didnt drop it at all... I unno tho :P could be wrong but thats my guess

Fuel90
08-06-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm actually very surprised that noone seems to like the H&R springs! I have them on my car and absolutely love them! decent drop, vastly improved handling and feel... just perfect. I guess I am only one of a few with the H&Rs, I would never go back though.

3GFX
08-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Do you still have them.... ;)

b
08-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Every time I read this title I think it is a review for the "popular springs" resort ha ha ha.

Xenon
08-06-2007, 12:16 PM
After much deliberation, I decided to go with Eibach Prokits when buying springs.

There were a few factors:
- EVERY member that I have talked to regarding the Eibach's had nothing but good things to say about them. No one that I have talked to disliked the ride or appearance of the springs.
- Judging by reviews and other membber's opinions, I determined that it was the best bang-for-buck.
-No need for a camber kit with the Pro-kits = No need to spend extra money

After I purchased them I went to Street Performance to get them installed. Just before he installed it, I asked him his opinion on the Prokits and the Mazda3. He told me that different kits favour different cars (example: the Prokits may not be the best spring for a Civic), however, he has seen the best results with the Prokit/mazda3 combination. No other spring on the Mazda3 gives you as good of a ride, or handling as the prokits, in his opinion. Just want to re-mention that that is specifically for the 3. Other springs may suit other cars better than the Prokits. That sealed the deal for me.

I'm very happy with the Prokits, there is no "bounciness" and the ride is stiff and responsive.

Added Bonus...
I took pictures of before and after the spring install on my car. I tried as hard as I could to get the exact same angle, zoom etc. Some of the pics are a little off, but you'll get the idea (Please note that these pictures were taken within hours of installation. This is the result BEFORE springs have settled):

BEFORE:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/xenons3/Forum%20Linked%20Pictures/P1000374.jpg

AFTER:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/xenons3/Forum%20Linked%20Pictures/P1000382.jpg

BEFORE:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/xenons3/Forum%20Linked%20Pictures/P1000375.jpg

AFTER:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/xenons3/Forum%20Linked%20Pictures/P1000383.jpg

Fuel90
08-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Do you still have them.... ;)

Still installed on the car lol so no you can't have them!

That drop with the pro-kits looks good xenon

fastNugly
08-08-2007, 10:04 PM
nice look.... should have taken a full side shot before and after.

None the less, nice look.

Xenon
08-09-2007, 02:30 AM
nice look.... should have taken a full side shot before and after.

None the less, nice look.

You mean like this???

BEFORE:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/xenons3/Forum%20Linked%20Pictures/P1000373.jpg

AFTER:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/xenons3/Forum%20Linked%20Pictures/P1000381.jpg

I always had these pics, didn't post them because I didn't want to crowd the thread.

fastNugly
08-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Even nicer....

It is a perfect drop. :)

wingnut12
08-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Heh, so many spring threads, so little time.

I asked a lot of questions of a lot of people from four different boards before I bought mine, and went Prokits because they had the best overall responses from everyone I talked to. That, and that Mazda picked them for their MS line.

After using them, I have to admit that the praise seems justified. I really like them.

3GFX
08-13-2007, 10:13 AM
After taking an extensive look at MK's car (with much envy I might add) I've decided the S-Techs would be a bad setup for my car with the rim setup I'm running. Looking at clearance and such I've decided that I'll save up for Pro-Kits. This summer's modding is done, I'll have to wait until the spring. Unless someone wants to sell their pro-kits.

theurgy
08-13-2007, 11:15 PM
I've just bought a set of KSport GT Lowering Springs.
They are a 1.3" drop all around.
I'll be sure to review them, has anyone here given them a try?

MAZDA Kitten
08-14-2007, 10:23 AM
I've been running on S-Techs since I got my 3 on and off. I got mad camber wear but hey they look good and the car handles great still on stock shocks w/ 105,000km.

Didnt notice that much camber wear but I've had mine for almost 100,000km with stock shocks
Car handles exceptionally well especially when paired with a rear sway - its like peanut butter and jelly!

MAZDA Kitten
08-14-2007, 10:24 AM
After taking an extensive look at MK's car (with much envy I might add)

aw shucks :blush

Fuman
08-14-2007, 11:19 AM
http://www.turnfast.com/tech_handling/handling_springs.shtml
3GFX, you might want to add the link above to your first post.
It'll give people a better understand on how springs affect a car's handling.
If you have time, can you please add in units for spring rates?

can mods please stick this thread. 3GFX did a good job.

3GFX
08-25-2007, 07:31 PM
So I'm shopping online at JRPonline.com because they're having a wicked sale on this weekend, but my wallet is empty so its all browsing and lovin for the car.

I stumbled upon some new lowering springs I've never heard of called "SPAX SSX SPRINGS". They lower 1.2" and sell for aorund $250. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of them, or has any specs on the spring.

http://www.businessvision.net/edge/Main.asp?D=%7B948E787E%2D47A3%2D4C45%2D89C8%2D4250 932A1E58%7D&PageType=Product&CategoryID=52&SKU=S022032&DisplayMode=Creator&PageNumber=5

Check out JRPonline.com, they've got up to 50% off today until midnight and tomorrow.

dentinger
08-26-2007, 02:30 PM
those prokits look good...
im thinking about getting rid of my sportlines, and getting prokits, only cuz i dont think the rims/tires i want will fit if im lowered on sportlines....
plus my car will be even lowered when i finish that system in my trunk lol

3GFX
08-27-2007, 11:17 AM
I looked up SPAX springs, and I had no idea they were that big. Apparently SPAX is the british version of TEIN. Figuratively. The make all sorts of springs and have a good racing pedegree and showcase their springs on a lot of cars. I emailed them and hopefully I can get some spring rates out of them. They are another set of springs that lower about 1.25" for $250 cost.

Tokic_o
10-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but my wheel gap and height of my car is really bothering me more and more. I'm basically 100% going to save for the Eibach Prokits for next summer. However, the only issues I'm worried about are:

1. From what I read I don't need to get a new camber kit. Am i correct? Or will me not purchasing a camber kit be a really bad idea?

2. Since the Prokits are only a mild drop my stock struts will still be able to be used and for long period of time. Correct?

Thanks guys! Btw, Xenon I love that drop! Makes me want prokits so much more :)

ps. Where do you guys suggest I do my installation (Markham area preferably) when time comes and how much approx. would it cost?

Kevin@nextmod
10-28-2007, 06:30 PM
I've ran h-techs with stock shocks and i had no problems. Also ran prokits with stock shocks with no problem. Ran prokits with koni's with no problems, obviously. Running sportlines with koni's as well and you need camber kit with it.

So my whole point in saying all this is, you do'nt need camber kit for the prokits and you dont need new struts for a long long long long time. People lowered with S-techs which are .4 inches lower then you are still running stock struts and are having no problems.

Amen

Tokic_o
10-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks a lot Pearly!

gochickenfactory
11-05-2007, 02:18 PM
ok this is getting confusing. you're telling me the sportsline and S-tech is even lower? holy shit thats low already. hey. i'm planning to put the S-tech on my mazda 5. yes a 5, i can't find a fourm for mazda 5's so i'm here, and since they're the same chassis, its no problem.

whiteomega
11-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Jimmy at Street Performance did my spring/strut install..nice guy to deal with. he's just off woodbine, in the same building as the coffee time (across the street from Mandarin).

they also repaved the back road in that cluster of shops. say goodbye to the big pothole in the back.. for just springs, probably 110-120 bucks.

WhiteSpeed3
11-06-2007, 10:09 AM
anyone heard of these springs they seem pretty good with a 1.3 drop front and rear

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-04-07-Mazda-3-MP3-AG-KIT-lowering-springs-1-3-F-R_W0QQitemZ140175397545QQihZ004QQcategoryZ33586QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

3GFX
11-07-2007, 12:41 AM
I have never heard of those springs. If you want something different around that drop, look up SPAX springs, they're british.

whiteomega
11-08-2007, 10:12 AM
ok this is getting confusing. you're telling me the sportsline and S-tech is even lower? holy shit thats low already. hey. i'm planning to put the S-tech on my mazda 5. yes a 5, i can't find a fourm for mazda 5's so i'm here, and since they're the same chassis, its no problem.

S-techs on a mazda5? you're adventurous...

Tokic_o
11-13-2007, 07:13 AM
Alright so i'm planning on picking up a set of prokits soon and I'm planning on going to Speedtech or Street Performance for my installation. Is it a major issue to do an allignemnt say a week after installation? or could I just wait it out and see if I can feel any issues with it before i actually decide to do an alignment or not?

Either way, prokits here I come :chuckle

whiteomega
11-13-2007, 10:59 AM
wait longer than a week; i did my alignment only a week after being lowered, and the car dropped a bit more after the alignment, which threw things out a little bit. i'd say give it at least 3 weeks to settle properly, and to see how the ride feels.

3GFX
11-13-2007, 10:24 PM
My suggestion...wait till spring :p why would you drop the car for winter?

1970gizmo
01-31-2008, 11:03 PM
How about these? D1 STech?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110219409743&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001
No-name springs?
They don't get any cheaper than that!

3GFX
01-31-2008, 11:08 PM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110219409743&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001
No-name springs?

OMG, no. Just no.

FLIPDADY
02-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Those must be the fake Tein's that people were getting from ebay. If you're strapped for cash there's a Canadian company that manufactures springs for the 3.

http://www.canuckmotorsports.com/car_cat.html#MAZDA

Not bad for $175.00.

djltoronto's WB hatch
http://www.canuckmotorsports.com/images/cust/04ma3djl.jpg

More pics of his car here:

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10170

3GFX
02-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Added those to the first page, viable alternative.

FLIPDADY
02-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Added those to the first page, viable alternative.
Nice drop too. Plus you still have extra money for a camber kit and alignment.:)

mogul_pro
02-02-2008, 09:33 AM
When you can get the pro-kit for an extra 60 or 70 bucks... i would say thats a no brainer to save up for vs those springs... budget suspension components is something i wouldnt go near... just my personal opinion as they can also equal safety hazards if they are not of high quality..

doughboyr6
02-02-2008, 11:19 AM
^^^ fair enough....but those canuck springs have been out for a long time, its not like they are a overnight fly by operation. Many ppl on M3F has them.

Anyway, this is my first winter w/ the prokits, i can't believe how much i plow/rub snow on the bottom of my car....glad i didnt go any lower. I think i need to install some shields/guards to protect the underside of my car/exhaust....i can hear/feel my exhaust taking a beating.

cwp_sedan
02-02-2008, 01:04 PM
+1. CM springs have been around for a while. Most people compare them to SPRINT springs. They are reliable and I know plenty of people who have used them on other cars.

MAZDA Kitten
02-02-2008, 03:29 PM
No-name springs?

WTF??? How is this even possible??
:loco

3GFX
02-02-2008, 04:31 PM
They make up for it in shipping.

huyzel
04-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Jimmy from the GB on spring installs tells me that he installed the OEM MS3 springs on a 3sedan and the ride height went UP :whoa
Now I just picked up 07 MS3 OEM springs for my 08.5 hatch
According to the reports, I should expect .5 inch drop all-around and a slightly stiffer ride.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has first-hand experience with this.
(mazda3 hatch with Mazdaspeed3 springs - everything else stock)
Did you see the small drop? Did the handling firm up a bit?

I'm keeping my 1pm appointment and have until Friday to cancel.
Thanks in advance!