PDA

View Full Version : changing engine oil

watercress
07-25-2007, 10:37 PM
guys, my car is 3 months old ri now. but already 6500 km.

i think it's time to change the engine oil.

how often do you guys change the engine oil (how many km)? where do you change that? must in the dealer i bought it?

i received a letter from the dealer 2months ago saying that they have booked a maintence apointment for me. did you guys got a letter like this? is the service free?

maybe i asked too much. thanks for any reply.:pop:pop:pop

SABIO
07-25-2007, 11:32 PM
You should have got your oil changed at 5000km.

Go get it changed. You do not have to get it changed at the dealer you bought it at, or any dealer for that matter. You can get it changed anywhere. Just make sure they use the right oil and keep the bill for your records. Change it every 5000km

The service booked for you by the dealer is not free, they are just making sure you will not go somewhere else.

You can never ask to many questions....as long as you tried the search feature first :)

Flagrum_3
07-26-2007, 02:37 AM
Watercress, do yourself a favour and read the owners manual that came with the vehicle, there is a maintenance schedule in there too, Study It...Our 3's require oil/filter changes and rotate tires every 8000k but some here changed their oil much earlier for various reasons but it is not necessary, it just depends on whether you want to baby the car or not.Like Sabio said it is not requirred to bring your vehicle to the dealer to keep your warranty valid but for the few extra bucks you pay to get it done at the dealer (during your warranty period) it is well worth it, for the peace of mind.But and this is a big BUT don't let them talk you into extra or as they call it "Recommended Services" its a ploy and a cash grab.That is why I stressed studying the maintenance schedule it will not lie to you and only recommend what is necessary for you to maintain your car properly.

_3

Wild Weasel
07-26-2007, 09:19 AM
You should have got your oil changed at 5000km.

Double-check your manual, bro. :) Is it different for the base engine or the 2.3? I thought they were all 8000 km's.

Flagrum_3
07-26-2007, 10:52 AM
The interval for both engines is 4 months or 8k according to the manual.

Watercress I believe the dealer(s) will contact you for services according to time from your last service, as obviously they couldn't know what mileage you have.So expect a call or letter every 4 months or so, Scarboro Mazda calls me every 4 months also to remind me.

_3

dentinger
07-26-2007, 06:33 PM
i change mine every 5000 or so...
i know synthetic oil is good for longer, but i find my gas mileage goes right to hell after 5000km's....

vlee
07-28-2007, 05:44 AM
anyone know how much mazda dealer charge for the first 8k oil change and rotation that should be done free right? lol

JonsMazda
07-28-2007, 10:54 AM
45 taxes in w/o rotation

asif9t9
07-28-2007, 12:07 PM
i change mine every 5000 or so...
i know synthetic oil is good for longer, but i find my gas mileage goes right to hell after 5000km's....

Not sure an oil change should have that much of an effect.

Fuman
07-28-2007, 12:45 PM
welcome watercress.
just follow the manual for your service.
8000 is good. Although, I got an oil change at 1100km, since the engine is new.

I got a letter and a phone call from where the car was brought. I was like err sure? but never went, lol. I go to MOT for service now.

dentinger
07-31-2007, 06:26 PM
Not sure an oil change should have that much of an effect.

i found that after 10,000kms (first oil change was at 5000), my gas mileage dropped to about 300km's/tank in the city.
after i changed the oil, it went up to about 400km's/tank.

i'll have to see wat happens next time. as i will have put about 5000km's on my car by the end of this month instead of 5000 in 3 months

Peace B
08-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Hey ppl, i'm new here.
The dealer i purchased from suggested to change every 8000km or 4months. I have the 07 GT model and its auto transmission. Anybody have any other suggestions? cause i normally change oil every 5k for my civic.

Skarbro
08-02-2007, 07:40 AM
It's right in the manual. (It's detailed in my shop manual too). 8,000 kms is the correct interval.

nicker
08-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Im actully getting my first oil change tomorrow at 5800 klms. I will say I am not a fan of the dipsticks they come with. I can't really read the dam thing, according to my reading I need to add some its at the lower bar if that is correct ???

Skarbro
08-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Im actully getting my first oil change tomorrow at 5800 klms. I will say I am not a fan of the dipsticks they come with. I can't really read the dam thing, according to my reading I need to add some its at the lower bar if that is correct ???
Hate to sound like a broken record, but I do believe that's in the owner's manual also. The upper bar is full, the lower is "add". Agreed though that the dipstick for the 2006 2.3 is ridiculously difficult to read. Don't know why they switched to this design in 2006. Previous years got the flat dipstick, which was 100x easier.

Seliina
08-02-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm surprised no one warned him to get the 'special tool' fromt the dealer to change the oil filter if doing it himself so the plastic part doesn't crack...is the '07 different? Or is it only the GT? He doesn't say which model he's got...

Flagrum_3
08-02-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm surprised no one warned him to get the 'special tool' fromt the dealer to change the oil filter if doing it himself so the plastic part doesn't crack...is the '07 different? Or is it only the GT? He doesn't say which model he's got...

Salina, I don't believe he plans on doing it himself, if I read his post right he plans on taking it to the dealer.But good point if anyone new here is thinking of doing oil changes themselfs.

_3