PDA

View Full Version : Toyota is waking up

stas
08-05-2007, 01:46 PM
New coupe for $12,000 USD

http://img.auto.mail.ru/pic/editor/Image/random/3/27/29/33/Toyota-AE86.jpg
more info (anywhere on the net) or http://www.caradvice.com.au/4375/legend-reborn-the-new-ae86/

Tokic_o
08-05-2007, 01:59 PM
looks prety cool....sorta like a 350Z?

stas
08-05-2007, 02:05 PM
it probably has one of the best designs sport compact soon to be in production. hopefully the car will be sold in Canada some time soon, as it is planned to come out in Japan winter 2008.

yellow 3
08-05-2007, 03:04 PM
where do you see 350Z
all ic is POS hyundai tiburon

looks prety cool....sorta like a 350Z?

http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/09/07tiburon_1.jpg

Tokic_o
08-05-2007, 03:54 PM
haha 350 i guess becuase of the front bumper and the rims look like nismo rims haha

chinsterr
08-05-2007, 04:02 PM
12,000 USD ? are you sure ? I know its as powerful as a lawnmower, but don't be that optimistic.

stas
08-05-2007, 04:26 PM
12,000 USD ? are you sure ? I know its as powerful as a lawnmower, but don't be that optimistic.

well Toyota is saying less then 1.5mil Yen which is like 12,500USD

I would say the base in canada would be about $18,500, after all it has less power then a civic and its in the same class as a civic.

and doubt anyone would allow them to sell this car at 12 grand, aleast 16k.

garboui
08-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Me wants :)

bout time someone is comming out with an affordable and economical rwd sport compact. im allready forseeing the possible 1.5L thats going to be in it making 250 - 300hp in a car thats under 2200lbs. this is going to exciting to see.

Acradian9
08-05-2007, 09:32 PM
looks like the scion TC

Flagrum_3
08-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Best part is the rwd, it'll be nice to have that option in a car thats not a million bucks or the size of a sail boat, plus with the low weight it won't be a barn burner but it should go pretty good.

_3

EvilDeadFan
08-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Looks lik a lexus is250 2 door with a 2007 civic front type grill.

EvilDeadFan
08-06-2007, 09:31 AM
http://www.duboishonda.com/images/big_images/si.jpg
http://www.planetlexus.com/lexus-is250-is350/lexus-is250-is350-front.jpg

dentinger
08-06-2007, 10:31 AM
just wait until people start dropping supra engines into them!!

its about time someone finally made a decently priced RWD car

3GFX
08-06-2007, 11:44 AM
I'll believe it when I see it :p

garboui
08-06-2007, 11:50 AM
just wait until people start dropping supra engines into them!!

its about time someone finally made a decently priced RWD car

ive allready started thinking about this lol. or even somehow mate up one of the newer 180hp vvt-i engines that come in the vibe gt's. with an exhaust intake and some minor tuning that engine can make 225hp na. now that would be a fun combo as a fast daily driver.

EvilDeadFan
08-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Of course, for something that cheap, It'll probably have a 90 horsepower engine realistically, the cheapest ugliest looking "modernized" interior ever, and when optioned teh way you really like it... 30+

chinsterr
08-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Of course, for something that cheap, It'll probably have a 90 horsepower engine realistically, the cheapest ugliest looking "modernized" interior ever, and when optioned teh way you really like it... 30+

EXACTLY! Concepts usually look more sporty than the actual production car, so don't expect those nice wheels and that aggressive look.

I expect it to be a lot more tamed in terms of looks ...with a little hint of celica in it

EvilDeadFan
08-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah.. a 13k car with "brake vents" cut into the bumper. I'm sure Toyota of all companies would do that. Rear wheel drive? Give me a break!

b3GS
08-07-2007, 09:18 AM
I'll believe it when I see it :p

me too.. this has been a rumour of ressurecting the RWD coupe for years

but I don't think Toyota actually has the balls to do it

whiteomega
08-07-2007, 11:08 AM
thanks to Initial D, and as well as the Formula D drift events, the AE86 has become really popular..whether Toyota actually capitalizes on this and builds it is anyone's guess..would be cool though, even if it is pretty wimpy on the horsepower side.

i wonder what would happen if they asked Lotus to tweak the Exige S' supercharged motor for this..

3GFX
08-07-2007, 12:18 PM
The AE86 has really started to grow on me. If I were to get into drifting with the little money I have I'd go with the Trueno. Despite its age, it does well and its classic JDM looks have grown on me.

Having said that, I can't see Toyota building it. The current Celica is overpriced for what it is and other than that Toyota doesn't have the best line up of 'sporty' cars. Secondly the looks of the new design don't really improve upon old looks, its a whole new car that doesn't even look like a distant relative.

whiteomega
08-07-2007, 12:38 PM
The current Celica is overpriced for what it is and other than that Toyota doesn't have the best line up of 'sporty' cars.

the Celica was discontinued in 2005..but yes, it was definitely overpriced for what you got, especially since it was FF.

i too would doubt they'd build it. it's just too bad the old body style would probably never pass safety requirements today; i'd love to see the original style with modern-day internals.

kid_icarus
08-07-2007, 02:36 PM
The AE86 has really started to grow on me. If I were to get into drifting with the little money I have I'd go with the Trueno. Despite its age, it does well and its classic JDM looks have grown on me.

Having said that, I can't see Toyota building it. The current Celica is overpriced for what it is and other than that Toyota doesn't have the best line up of 'sporty' cars. Secondly the looks of the new design don't really improve upon old looks, its a whole new car that doesn't even look like a distant relative.

good luck finding an ae86....
i think i've only ever seen one on the road in my many years of life.

whiteomega
08-07-2007, 03:57 PM
^^ +1

i've seen a few of them, but most are in pretty bad condition. there is one a white and black panda trueno somewhere in the markham area..it even has the Fujiwara Tofu Shop stencil on the side...

3GFX
08-07-2007, 06:44 PM
There was one prime Trueno right hand drive for sale about 2 months ago here in the Kitchener-Waterloo area. I think he was asking $5000 or something. If I had the money I would have picked it up. Would have been a great beginner drifter!

(Did I ever mention my only regret is that the 3 is Front Wheel Drive?)

WLS ZMZM
08-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Those cars are really hard to find.. one of my buddies has one... and has been working on the car for about 3 years... and it's finally coming out next weekend at drift nation..... as for the new one... I think toyota will do it.... they are dying in the car market.... and need something to spark the young peoples attention and a rwd remake of the AE86 would most definitely do it..... especially since the drifting has caught on the way it has..... even some of the new commercials in Japan have the ae86 in them... its coming... and I think its going to be killer, toyota knows they messed up with the celica, and by stopping the supra... and with the car market really heading to the "suped up" econo boxes.. I wouldn't count them out yet....Toyota usually sits back and watches everyone else make the mistakes first and then come in and release something amazing... and I have a gut feeling this is about to happen again.. for one.. if this car hits NA.... I AM DEFINITELY BUYING ONE NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!

garboui
08-09-2007, 12:45 AM
speaking of rare, a buddy of mine has one. his dad bought it when he was born 1983 and was a daily driver up to i think 2000. i has taken it under his possesion to restore it. all the body work has been fixed on it and re painted (orange). the car has some cool looks to it but the original 4AG engine in it it pretty tired after being abused for well over 400k.

he has plans for the car though, its all been measured out and will fit a 4L v8 from a gs400 if such an engine can be gotten ahold of at a good price. or possibly enen a supra engine. the suspension will obviously be all redone as well.

cant wait untill its all done, or should i say, cant wait to getta drive it :)

3GFX
08-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Wow, post pics of that when its done Garboui that'll be hot!

garboui
08-11-2007, 12:03 AM
its gonna take some time he just finished school last year and is gonna start getting more serious with it once he is able to save up money for the good stuff. but be assured pics will come possibly progress ones as i will be helping with some of it.