PDA

View Full Version : Good 12V source to tap into?

Skarbro
08-06-2007, 06:45 PM
I need a wire source to tap into and I think the cigarette lighter fits the bill? I need it to meet the following criteria:

12V
Hot only when the key is in and ignition turned on or to "accessories-on" positionI'm guessing the cigarette lighter wire can handle being tapped into by a small device. Any other suggestions on wires that would be a better source to tap into? All the work I want to do is around the middle anyway.

McGuyver_3
08-06-2007, 07:25 PM
you can use the ignition 12V switched wire up to you
or
drivers kick panel the big bulk of wires unravel the tape and look for the orange with yellow stripe and silver dots wire 12V switched
or
Radio triggerwire
or
ciggarete lighter

blue3
08-06-2007, 11:08 PM
i used the cigarette lighter fot a hot 12 v source .. very safe and comes on when the keys are in the acc position

Skarbro
08-07-2007, 05:12 AM
Excellent thanks.

EvilEric
08-07-2007, 09:43 AM
The comment that I always hear is that the cig power wires are really thin and can't handle big devices. If you have any doubts I would hook it up to something else like the audio's.

What's the device and why don't you run another line seperately for it + fuse?

Someone on M3 forums had done a hack that required tapping power wires that overheated and ended up melting through and shorting out the whole HU.

blue3
08-07-2007, 10:05 AM
yeh thats true ... it all depends on what you are going to hook up ...

selective sound
08-07-2007, 05:31 PM
If it's something small than the cigarette lighter wire is fine.

SABIO
08-09-2007, 01:18 PM
My cigar lighter smoked twice in my 3. Once with a cell fone, 2nd time when I used the lighter. I wouldn't want to use it as a 12V source.....

Skarbro
08-09-2007, 03:51 PM

Oh it's small and isn't on long at all. So I'm not too worried about tapping into the cig lighter wire. I'll be posting about it later when it's finished.

But if someone can suggest a better wire to tap into, then I'm all ears.

Skarbro
08-09-2007, 03:51 PM
My cigar lighter smoked twice in my 3. Once with a cell fone, 2nd time when I used the lighter. I wouldn't want to use it as a 12V source.....
Sounds like yours was faulty to begin with.

pb_blade
08-19-2007, 08:27 PM
The comment that I always hear is that the cig power wires are really thin and can't handle big devices. If you have any doubts I would hook it up to something else like the audio's.

Someone on M3 forums had done a hack that required tapping power wires that overheated and ended up melting through and shorting out the whole HU.

Here's my suggestion, run wires straight from the battery, (+) and (-) or just the positive and ground the (-) to something metal in your car. And use a relay on the positive, (don't forget a fuse just to be safe). For the switching of the relay, wire that to your cigarette lighter. Any problems with this? That way you can use whatever wire gauge u want, and still have the power switch on and off by the key. Relays are such amazing inventions :D

Skarbro
08-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Too late! (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19870)