PDA

View Full Version : What grade fuel is everyone running?.....

tommy36
08-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Just wondering what grade fuel everyone is running, and where from? I was running higher octane for performance reasons, but seems to run best on 91 octane from Sunoco. Gets about 26 mpg on average, and that included a trip from Buffalo to Toronto and back averaging about 85 to 90 mph. That seems pretty good for cruising at those speeds. At 90 mph it revs at about 4100 rpms. I think i need another gear for the QEW.....hehe.....

Jeff-TheBiz
08-08-2005, 04:58 PM
I am told:

Mazda says that you should only be using 87 octane. They say that the computer is set to use 87 at it\'s best. If you use higher octane the computer recognizes a hotter burn and tries to compensate.

Just what I have been told..

I say that if I can save 10 cents a litre at the ridiculous price gas is at right now... Gotta do it.

BangHatch
08-08-2005, 07:14 PM
you should be using 87... you dont gain the performance from higher octane if your engine doesnt burn it anyway... by placing a higher grade octane, then, you\'re eventually going get excess buildup of unburnt fuel.

oroboru
08-09-2005, 08:02 AM
I stick with manufacturer recommendations; 87.

thr33scompany
08-09-2005, 11:41 AM
With the gas prices sky-rocketing... I just use the 87 octane.

FLIPDADY
08-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Unless you got a turbo or supercharger stick with the recommened octane and save some money.

majic
08-09-2005, 12:09 PM
anyone notice how they are retrofitting gas stations with an extra digit for that magical 100 cent mark.. :sarc

MajesticBlueNTO
08-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by majic

anyone notice how they are retrofitting gas stations with an extra digit for that magical 100 cent mark.. :sarc

the price of crude is now approaching that of a barrel of refined oilsand oil.

Canada has the largest deposit of oil in the world in the oilsands (which is why china is buying into companies that have areas of the sands...and why dubya wants a stake in it)...and, hopefully, when oilsand production becomes economically feasible, the price of gas in Canada will go down.

however, i doubt that since our own Petro-Canada, which is supposed to sell gas refined from Canadian crude for a cheaper price than other refineries (created by the gov\'t for the people during the gas crisis), sells gas at exactly the same price as others.

MajesticBlueNTO
08-09-2005, 06:40 PM
forgot to mention, if the car is designed to run on 87 octane and it isn\'t 20 years old with mounds of carbon build-up, running 91+ won\'t be beneficial.

SABIO
08-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN
however, i doubt that since our own Petro-Canada, which is supposed to sell gas refined from Canadian crude for a cheaper price than other refineries (created by the gov\'t for the people during the gas crisis), sells gas at exactly the same price as others.

I Agree 1000%!!! That P\'s me off... P.C gas should Always be cheaper... Why isn\'t it?

MONEY GRUBBING SCUM!!!!!!!!!!!

ahhh
08-10-2005, 03:20 AM
i\'ve been using 94 octane from Sunoco. still getting crummy mileage 425-450 on $43-$45 fill after about 5K kms, on my M3 Sport.

down to a quarter tank...think its time to hit the cheaper stuff

TheProfessor
08-10-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Unless you got a turbo or supercharger stick with the recommened octane and save some money.

Exactly.

elt09
08-10-2005, 10:06 AM
so far, the gas i\'ve been using might even be lower than 87 octane :( who knows, im still using the dealer\'s gas. 255 km and killed a bit more than half a tank.

nehow, i expect to be using 87 octane.

elt

dredd2099
08-10-2005, 04:32 PM
i wouldnt mind 87
heh

MajesticBlueNTO
08-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by ahhh

i\'ve been using 94 octane from Sunoco. still getting crummy mileage 425-450 on $43-$45 fill after about 5K kms, on my M3 Sport.

down to a quarter tank...think its time to hit the cheaper stuff

you will get crummy mileage from sunoco gas, especially the 94, since it has ethanol in it, which is harder to burn. 94 has more ethanol than the lower grade (15% vs. who knows what) which is why the octane rating is higher.

hate to break it to you but you\'ve been wasting money over those 5K kms. a stock 3 was not designed to take advantage of any octane higher than 87.

billyfo
08-10-2005, 07:46 PM
several weeks ago, I filled up with Shell V power,ie 91 Octane, cause I could get triple airmiles:D, and yes not much different than 87.

Jeff-TheBiz
08-11-2005, 11:22 PM
It\'s coming..http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/SoonerRiceGrad/Assorted%20Internet%20Pics/71gas_prices1.jpg

ahhh
08-12-2005, 01:14 AM
i was bone dry...needed gas.

i was screwed. 99.1 cents.....for regular.

my first time switching from ultra 94 too

MAZDA Kitten
08-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by oroboru

I stick with manufacturer recommendations; 87.

and have since day 1.
99% Shell gas; get about on average get about ~650 to a tank

1flycdnM3
08-13-2005, 07:39 PM
this has been an extremely informative thread. I have NEVER put in \"the sludge\" (87) because I am nt convinced it\'s any good for your car. I always put in the second one (usually 89/91). However, reading this thread, I might just change and save ALOT of money. I\'ll see how the gas mileage is and go from there. Had 2 previous honda\'s and they BOTH had better gas mileage with higher octane. Hard to judge \"bang for buck\" but definately felt more confident with a cleaner gas (maybe this is a myth?!). Anyhow, I will go to 87 octane and see how it goes.

Jeff-TheBiz
09-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Saw a Shell station today charging 125.3/L for regular!!!

Can anyone beat that?

FLIPDADY
09-01-2005, 04:07 PM
The Petro beside you Jeff this morning was 125.8/L for regular.

Use this as a guide:
http://torontogasprices.com

Jeff-TheBiz
09-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Holy cow...

138/L!!! in Newmarket..

Optimzer
09-02-2005, 11:12 PM
$1.34/L everywhere today - across Mississauga to RH. At an avg of 8.5L/100km, it almost costs $12 every 100km.. holy crap!!

nifty6
09-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by TheBiz

Holy cow...

138/L!!! in Newmarket..

Back down to 1.26 to 1.28 in Newmarket today
I suspect it will go down (how far?)by sunday and monday...its the long weekend da ya think we are being hosed

Jeff-TheBiz
09-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by nifty6

Originally posted by TheBiz

Holy cow...

138/L!!! in Newmarket..

Back down to 1.26 to 1.28 in Newmarket today
I suspect it will go down (how far?)by sunday and monday...its the long weekend da ya think we are being hosed

From Newmarket?

We could be neighbors.. discoved that Sabio lives around the corner from me. Who knew...

Actually now I can hear him when drives by. :p

SABIO
09-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Oh ya baby.... ZOOM ZOOM!!!!

Junior
09-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by 1flycdnM3

this has been an extremely informative thread. I have NEVER put in \"the sludge\" (87) because I am nt convinced it\'s any good for your car. I always put in the second one (usually 89/91). However, reading this thread, I might just change and save ALOT of money. I\'ll see how the gas mileage is and go from there. Had 2 previous honda\'s and they BOTH had better gas mileage with higher octane. Hard to judge \"bang for buck\" but definately felt more confident with a cleaner gas (maybe this is a myth?!). Anyhow, I will go to 87 octane and see how it goes.

higher octane does not mean \'cleaner gas\'... it means it\'s made for higher compression...

gas companies use that line to grab more money out your pocket, your gas will burn at the same rate either 87 or 94, so don\'t expect there to be a milage gain by running the expensive stuff.

stick to reg, it\'s made for NA mazdas

Broli
09-14-2005, 09:08 PM
eightyseven
for me

civiclad
09-15-2005, 11:21 AM
I use Sunoco 87 octane. Only use 94 Octane when i\'m going on long drives.

akherad
09-19-2005, 01:29 PM
My M3 2.0 is on 8.6 per 100 KM (my trip computer reports that. I assume it\'s an accurate numer).

-Ali

Coaster
09-19-2005, 10:28 PM
I think it was Road & Track magazine that had someone ask this same question a while ago. Basically their answer was that unless the engine is designed or tuned to use a higher octane, it\'s a waste of money to use it. It was also interesting that they said that certain high octane gasolines are designed to burn at a lower rate so that by using it in an engine designed for regular octane fuel you will actually lose performance.

MajesticBlueNTO
09-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Coaster

I think it was Road & Track magazine that had someone ask this same question a while ago. Basically their answer was that unless the engine is designed or tuned to use a higher octane, it\'s a waste of money to use it. It was also interesting that they said that certain high octane gasolines are designed to burn at a lower rate so that by using it in an engine designed for regular octane fuel you will actually lose performance.

high octane gas isn\'t \"designed to burn at a lower rate\" per se...that\'s the nature of a higher octane rating. in pump gas, the octane rating is akin to the AKI/anti-knock index. in a high compression engine, to resist knocking, the gas must be \"harder\" to ignite/burn...hence the recommendation for 91 octane is some premium cars.

and, yes, with the high octane gas being harder to burn/ignite, using it on an engine designed for regular octane can cause it to lose performance.

DeLaY_NoMoRe
09-20-2005, 12:45 AM
As we all talking about High Octane Fuel, I always have a question, as we know that some car manufactors do indicate that some of their cars required \"Premium unleaded fuels\". So what grade of fuel does this instruction actually indicate to? As I understand, we have 89, 91, 92 or 94 octane fuels available, and they all mean PREMIUM fuels to me compare to the 87 that I used the most, thus that creat a confusion to me about the definition set by those manufactors.......:sarc

MajesticBlueNTO
09-20-2005, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by DeLaY_NoMoRe

As we all talking about High Octane Fuel, I always have a question, as we know that some car manufactors do indicate that some of their cars required \"Premium unleaded fuels\". So what grade of fuel does this instruction actually indicate to? As I understand, we have 89, 91, 92 or 94 octane fuels available, and they all mean PREMIUM fuels to me compare to the 87 that I used the most, thus that creat a confusion to me about the definition set by those manufactors.......:sarc

when calling for \"premium unleaded fuel\", it will say in the owner\'s manual that 91 octane is recommended.

91+ is \"premium\"...89 is \"mid-grade\"

_naz
11-24-2005, 12:40 AM
i didnt kno there was newmarket ppl here lol

Jeff-TheBiz
11-24-2005, 10:15 AM
More than you think.. in fact there are 4 \"Avante\" plate covers on my street alone, not including mine..

Neo
01-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Well, I\'ve never used regular fuel simply because I know sometimes the stuff gets watered down too much... so I stick to 89octance... I know it isn\'t much difference, but the car does respond a bit better with it... I\'m not too hard on the car but I do drive aggressive... have to work the 2lt pretty hard to get around what I would consider normal in my other car...

The only reason to use 91-94 octane is when the manufacturer specifies it or when you\'re running boost (either super or turbocharged)

The 3 is an economy car... so it won\'t benefit from 91-94 octane... you\'re just throwing money away then... I have a bit of fear with 87 so I never use it... I\'d stick with 89...
The car has about 23k on the clock and the exhaust has become a lot \"sportier\"... at least that\'s what my friend has told me... I can\'t notice a difference... but apparently it\'s more noticable outside...

Lates,

dr_sarcasm
01-10-2006, 12:07 PM
the car is made for 87, so 87 it is.

why waste money on something that won\'t make a difference, but hey if your friends tell you that it sounds good than you should keep doing as they tell you.

dr_\"if your friend tells you to jump off a bridge, i bet you\'d do it\"_sarcasm

SGT06
01-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Not everyone use logic for making decision but that\'s ok. As long as they can afford to feed the taxman and the big oil company, that\'s great. I\'ll continue to buy oil stocks and get tax subsidized by the \"do what others tell me to do type\".:)

chunkinstien
08-21-2006, 10:26 PM
I had an old Ford Tauras, it was on it\'s last legs. For it to start in rough weather and to run semi smooth, I used the premium fuel. What a waste !

With my M3 , I asked the dealer when I picked it up what I should go with , he recomended the 87, nothing higher, as it is a waste.

That\'s fine with me, I save on the gas, and I get great performance.

justin
08-22-2006, 08:18 PM
87. Don\'t need to run anything higher right now.

Skarbro
08-23-2006, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by 1flycdnM3

You will not get better mileage with higher octane. Higher octane has nothing to do with gas mileage. It\'s sole purpose is to curb knock. Newer cars have computers to regulate the fuel tables so that they do not knock with the fuel to which they are recommended.

TheProfessor
08-23-2006, 08:41 AM
I have only ever used regular unleaded (87) in our Mazda\'s.....anything else is just a waste of $$$ IMO.

majic
08-23-2006, 09:57 AM
guys.. will i get better mileage if i use race fuel? like drive to buffalo and fill up with 100octane.. i think i might get some better performance.. and get better mileage too.. oh my car is stock..

lukel90
08-23-2006, 05:34 PM
lol majic, you have such a subtle way of making fun of people..very clever...

doug E fresh
08-24-2006, 12:31 AM
Why would you make fun of people who actually may not know any different?

We are all car enthusiasts here.

jaguar
08-24-2006, 12:14 PM
87 only. And I use mostly Shell, that \"Top Tier\" gas gimmick makes me feel really good knowing that theres more detergent.

chunkinstien
09-05-2006, 11:14 PM
only thing that bugs me is that they give the extra airmiles for getting the premium......I stick with the Bronze

No problems with performance.

TheProfessor
09-06-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by chunkinstien

only thing that bugs me is that they give the extra airmiles for getting the premium......I stick with the Bronze

No problems with performance.

Don\'t let it bother you.....I\'m sure if you were to calculate how much extra $$$ you were spending to get those extra airmiles you would see that it isn\'t worth it.

doughboyr6
09-06-2006, 08:32 AM
i run the best available....but if gas prices are really high like when i was at $1.20 or something, i bumped down to silver and have even gone to bronze a handful of times....but now that gas prices are good again, i\'ve put the gold back in....

i just prefer to put the gold in, an unfounded sense of security i guess.....

majic
09-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by doughboyr6

i run the best available....but if gas prices are really high like when i was at $1.20 or something, i bumped down to silver and have even gone to bronze a handful of times....but now that gas prices are good again, i\'ve put the gold back in....

can i just have your money???

FLIPDADY
09-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by majic

Originally posted by doughboyr6

can i just have your money???
Yeah can we split your money???:D

Skarbro
09-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Me too! I want in on the wasted money!

Wild Weasel
12-12-2006, 11:22 PM
You can send some my way as well!

You're mistaken in thinking that the higher octane fuels are better. The highest octane available is not the best. It is simply the most resistant to detonation under pressure.

Most cars do not compress their air/fuel mixture enough to self-detonate so knock isn't a problem. These cars (most cars) use 87 octane. There is no benefit whatsoever to using a higher octane fuel.

Some cars do compress their mixture enough to self-detonate. Some examples are high-compression engines such as those in the Toyota Celica GT-S or Acura RSX Type-S or engines with forced compression like my Sunfire or the Mazdaspeed3. These cars require this higher resistance to self detonation (causing knock) and, thus, require higher octane fuels.

The only other cars that will benefit, and these are really the only reason for the existance of the middle-grade fuels (other than to dupe people in to buying something "a little better but not the most expensive"), are older cars with enough carbon buildups to actually raise their compression enough to start causing knock. These cars are getting rarer and rarer however as newer car engines are much better managed by the ECU such that they burn far cleaner than those of 20 years ago and will almost never develop these deposits.

The gas companies try to get everyone to buy higher octane fuels by telling you they have more additives and stuff that are better for your car. People start to believe that these grades are somehow better and then buy them, pissing away their money and feeding the coffers of the gas companies.

The fact is, if you simply feed your car a bottle of fuel system cleaner around every oil change or so, that will be of far more benefit to you than any of the additives the gas companies put in.

You should be buying 87 octane gas from reputable gas companies. The big boys like Shell, Esso, PC, etc. are not "watering down their gas" as was suggested in some previous post. I suppose you can never be too sure about the independant stations, but that's why I don't use them. The big ones are all highly quality controlled so this isn't an issue.

87 octane is every bit as high quality as the 91 or 94 octane. It's not "sludge".

You're wasting your money spending the extra 13% or so you're paying for "premium" gas.

Let's let this be the definitive post for this thread. I'm posting facts here so adding in contradicting opinions will just make you look stupid. Learn from this and save your money.

Or give some to me. I could use it far more than the gas companies!

wingnut12
03-24-2007, 11:25 PM
^^ Basically what he said.

With my set up, there isn't any benefit
for running anything higher than 87, so I don't.

Gas is already expensive enough.

blue3
03-25-2007, 03:58 PM
1+

Garu
03-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Very informative, thank you for that post, Wild Weasel. Could you expand more on fuel system cleaner, such as where/what/how?

Wild Weasel
03-31-2007, 06:56 PM
You dump it in your gas and it just keeps the system flowing nicely, making sure deposits don't clog up your injectors or anything.

Valvoline makes a very well regarded one.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=54

Use it once a year and you'll get more benefit than you ever would out of the detergents and stuff they add to "premium" fuel.

Of course, this doesn't mean to go out and use the cheapest gas you can find. I recommend sticking with brands you trust to ensure you're getting quality gas. Just buy the proper octane for your car and don't be duped into buying the more expensive stuff when it will provide no benefit whatsoever for you.

3GFX
03-31-2007, 07:24 PM
I like to use injector cleaner around every oilchange. To keep it clean, and more or less for peace of mind.

MajesticBlueNTO
03-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Very informative, thank you for that post, Wild Weasel. Could you expand more on fuel system cleaner, such as where/what/how?

Redline SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner (http://www.redlineoil.com/products_fueladditives.asp?subCategoryID=11)

one of the best fuel system cleaners out there (highly regarded on bobistheoilguy.com).

you can get it for a good price from CTA Patrique or available at every Canadian Tire for $10.99/bottle.

drop in the entire contents before every oil change and it should be good to go...or use a little bit of it every fillup. directions are on the bottle.

Garu
03-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Redline SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner (http://www.redlineoil.com/products_fueladditives.asp?subCategoryID=11)

one of the best fuel system cleaners out there (highly regarded on bobistheoilguy.com).

you can get it for a good price from CTA Patrique or available at every Canadian Tire for $10.99/bottle.

drop in the entire contents before every oil change and it should be good to go...or use a little bit of it every fillup. directions are on the bottle.

Thank you for the info. :)
So just poor that bottle in your fuel tank when your tank is full huh?

Fuman
03-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Thank you for the info. :)
So just poor that bottle in your fuel tank when your tank is full huh?
err the ones I used (pennzoil) was before you fill up. I'm assuming you want it to be fixed in well with the fuel.

Garu
04-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Another question, are these cleaners ok even for turbo engines? (such as on MS3:))

Magitronic
04-01-2007, 06:20 PM
running higher than 87 octane is only benefical if your engine requires it, other wise you waste your money. Petro Canada gas should be cheaper but it isnt, largly due to the fact of american influence. Canada exports more gas per year then we consume. Each day we produce something around 3million barrels a day. We consume only 1.1million. All of the oil we consume is imported. All of the oil we produce is exported, mostly to the states. We`re america`s largest supplier of oil. If the government wasnt retarded, and wasnt influenced by the american government. We could all be filling up are car`s for about 3bux a tank like they do in other oil producing countries. You think that will go over well with the americans? not a chance. And sense we need american money to further develope oilsand drilling technology we are s.o.l. AND finaly my economics degree is used for sumthing sumwut usefull. Glad my 30,000 dollar degree could help you all out :D.

p.s - the export / import values of how much oil we produce was a rough estimate and is like a 2yr old figure, so dont hold me to it :P

Magitronic
04-01-2007, 06:21 PM
wow, just read that over, perhaps i should of taken a basic english grammer course to compliment the economics degree. sorry :P

sp3GT
04-02-2007, 01:55 PM
87 Octane is the way to go; I can't afford anything else. Gas is still a dollar.
Btw, where can you get 93 octane?

MajesticBlueNTO
04-02-2007, 02:06 PM
87 Octane is the way to go; I can't afford anything else. Gas is still a dollar.
Btw, where can you get 93 octane?

Pioneer gas stations. it's basically the same stuff as Sunoco94.

Flagrum_3
04-05-2007, 01:01 AM

+1 for the Redline, I was a big fan of the Pennzoil fuel System cleaner for years it worked well but I recently bought the redline and used 1/3 bottle per tank for three tanks ( 1 bottle is good for 80 liters but I thought I'd try stretching it out), and wow what a difference, seriously, better pick-up, smoother idle and I believe my gas mileage increased slightly....just my personal experience.

_3

wtom
04-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Flaggy, how many clicks on your kar when you first started pouring in the fuel system cleaner?

Wild Weasel
04-05-2007, 11:28 AM
I'd do it once a year or so, regardless of km's. It won't hurt anything and gives some peace of mind in knowing you're treating your car nicely. :)

Flagrum_3
04-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Flaggy, how many clicks on your kar when you first started pouring in the fuel system cleaner?

If your referring to me...I put cleaner in every 10k or so, I was at 30k when I first tried the Redline.

_3

WLS ZMZM
04-25-2007, 01:47 PM
As for the comment with higher octange gases for honda's its true.. 87 octane will run the car... but poorly usually bogs alot.. running 94 in the honda is a much better idea... especially if it's vtec.... the honda motors tend to run hotter... and rev higher.... so you will notice the difference there... as for the mazda.. i wouldnt know cuz i don't get the car till saturday.. but i have to admit its gonna be nice.. going from $1.18 a litre for ultra 94 for my civic down to .99 cents for 87.... gonna suck though cuz I'll be losing all those CAA affinity points!!

Flagrum_3
04-25-2007, 02:51 PM
As for the comment with higher octange gases for honda's its true.. 87 octane will run the car... but poorly usually bogs alot.. running 94 in the honda is a much better idea... especially if it's vtec.... the honda motors tend to run hotter... and rev higher.... so you will notice the difference there... as for the mazda.. i wouldnt know cuz i don't get the car till saturday.. but i have to admit its gonna be nice.. going from $1.18 a litre for ultra 94 for my civic down to .99 cents for 87.... gonna suck though cuz I'll be losing all those CAA affinity points!!

Well more bad news for ya buddy, Sunoco gas sucks in the 3.Atleast with mine and I think several others here find that also.I switched to Shell exclusively, so no more CAA points.....just to clarify it sucks in the sense of poor fuel economy comparatively speaking.

_3

WLS ZMZM
04-25-2007, 02:55 PM
heheh that really stinks... I guess I'll have to monitor it and take it from there was never really a big fan of Shell gas....

towelsnap
04-25-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm at 18,000kms usually only run 87octane in the summer also gas prices are way too high

levonida0103
08-08-2007, 08:46 PM
how come , when you go to the shell gas station, it says 87 contains 10% ethanol, midgrade, 5%, and 91 v-power, no ethanol, is that true?

Peace B
08-09-2007, 01:28 AM
Another Noob topic... sorry guys...
Mine is an automatic, ppl are suggesting me to go with regular shell for 3 cycles then change to the middle one for 1 cycle. Is this even necessary?

mit-gee-mui
08-09-2007, 07:28 AM
This will probably answer your question

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10299&highlight=gas%2A

Caz
08-09-2007, 09:23 AM
SEARCH or read the owners manual.

MattC
08-09-2007, 10:40 AM
I use diesel, get better mpg.

MattC
08-09-2007, 10:41 AM
why would you put anything other than 87 in a 3? to impress people by showing you can afford to pay more money for gas? :chuckle

mazdriver
09-18-2007, 01:19 AM
i use 87 octane. the ideal octane to boost engine longevity and cut expense under mazda 3 platform.

tweak_s
09-18-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm using 87 Octane (Mostly Sunoco).

As pretty much everyone else has said earlier... thats the manufacturers suggestion anyway, as well as the cheapest fuel :P

Fuman
09-18-2007, 01:51 PM
this poll is gonna become flawed...
can a mod change the title of the thread to include (mz3)
since mazdaspeed3s are turbo and require a higher octane.

on topic:
i use 87 at petro can.
My co-worker uses 89 for track, 87 for road.

Razzaq
09-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Hey!!
I use the 87 at the Canadian Tire Gas station and save 10cents a litre when you sign up for their mastercard and use it. I always filled up gas from Canadian Tire until one day when I ran out of gas as I was driving back and got gas from Shell. The had ran out of the 87 gas and were offering the 91 for the same price so I was like what the heck...might as well. Better gas for the same price!! So I filled up the 91 and honestly I did feel a little bit of a difference with the performance. I don't know whether if it was just my preception that I was expecting a better performance that's why I got it or whether if the fact that the gas I had filled up was really a better quality gas.

By the way I drive a 07 mazda3 GT. I bought it in december and since december I had been on Canadian Tire's 87. So after 7 months of Canadian Tire's 87 I had known what to expect from my car. But with the Shell's 91 I felt a little different. I don't know....

Skarbro
09-19-2007, 08:23 AM
Better gas for the same price!! So I filled up the 91 and honestly I did feel a little bit of a difference with the performance. I don't know whether if it was just my preception that I was expecting a better performance that's why I got it or whether if the fact that the gas I had filled up was really a better quality gas.

By the way I drive a 07 mazda3 GT. I bought it in december and since december I had been on Canadian Tire's 87. So after 7 months of Canadian Tire's 87 I had known what to expect from my car. But with the Shell's 91 I felt a little different. I don't know....
All in your head bro.

And higher octane doesn't mean "better" gas.

nicker
09-19-2007, 08:47 AM
im running the suggested 87 oct.

No sense spending more money on the already rip off price we pay at the pumps now.

I do stick ONLY with Shell or Sunoco and stay the **** away from Petro Canada.

b3GS
09-19-2007, 09:29 AM
im running the suggested 87 oct.

No sense spending more money on the already rip off price we pay at the pumps now.

I do stick ONLY with Shell or Sunoco and stay the **** away from Petro Canada.

see now that's weird.. I know there is another thread on the topic of gas stations and quality of gas/mileage

but I tried two tanks of Shell and found no difference in mileage from Petro

plus I get 2¢ off at Petro

Fuman
09-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Hey!!
I use the 87 at the Canadian Tire Gas station and save 10cents a litre when you sign up for their mastercard and use it. I always filled up gas from Canadian Tire until one day when I ran out of gas as I was driving back and got gas from Shell. The had ran out of the 87 gas and were offering the 91 for the same price so I was like what the heck...might as well. Better gas for the same price!! So I filled up the 91 and honestly I did feel a little bit of a difference with the performance. I don't know whether if it was just my preception that I was expecting a better performance that's why I got it or whether if the fact that the gas I had filled up was really a better quality gas.

i think its cause Shell's gas qualifies for Top Tier where as Canadian Tire's don't.
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Top Tier can be called a standard. you can read more about it on the website.

To nicker: petro-can qualifies as well. Did you have a bad experience or something?

MajesticBlueNTO
09-19-2007, 12:21 PM
i think its cause Shell's gas qualifies for Top Tier where as Canadian Tire's don't.
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Top Tier can be called a standard. you can read more about it on the website.

To nicker: petro-can qualifies as well. Did you have a bad experience or something?

Top Tier just defines the amount of detergents in the gas over and above what the USA EPA requires and is defined by the automakers in the coalition. its primary purpose is to keep the fuel injectors and intake valves clean.

Canadian Tire gets their gas from Esso (Imperial Oil)...which, while not participating in the Top Tier program, claims that their gas meets or exceeds Top Tier.

Fuman
09-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Top Tier just defines the amount of detergents in the gas over and above what the USA EPA requires and is defined by the automakers in the coalition. its primary purpose is to keep the fuel injectors and intake valves clean.

Canadian Tire gets their gas from Esso (Imperial Oil)...which, while not participating in the Top Tier program, claims that their gas meets or exceeds Top Tier.
never knew Esso made such a claim.
Does Top Tier Gas burn better?

nicker
09-19-2007, 12:38 PM
LOL how did you guess! I was going to Petro Canada for years but I found them to be rude and they (in london anyway) are always the first to put their gas prices up and the last to lower them. SO **** them I buy my gas else where now.

MajesticBlueNTO
09-19-2007, 01:13 PM
never knew Esso made such a claim.
Does Top Tier Gas burn better?

Their American parent company (ExxonMobil) does (http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2007-06-13-bad-gas-usat_N.htm)

it doesn't necessarily burn better....the difference between Top Tier gas and non-Top Tier is the detergents...with that in mind, by keeping gunk and deposits off intake valves, injector nozzles and the combustion chamber, then it does have the possibility of burning better...will it? that depends on several other variables.

Wild Weasel
09-19-2007, 05:42 PM
I had a bad experience with Petro Canada as well. Their bad gas killed my gas level sensor in the Sunfire and left me stranded on the side of the road for hours. This was in the news a few years back as certain GM cars were dropping like flies because of it. They traced it back to Petro Canada gas, but Petro Canada did nothing at all to make up for it. GM gave me a card for $20 in gas or something like that, as well as doing the repair. That was the end of my loyalty to Petro Canada. I switched to Esso and haven't looked back.