PDA

View Full Version : bypass cig lighter?

Martian
08-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Is there a way to either bypass or rewire the cig lighter so that it's "always on"?

blue3
08-13-2007, 06:01 PM
why would u want it always on ?

Martian
08-13-2007, 11:09 PM
The main reason because my cell phone died, and I couldn't charge it without leaving the keys in the ignition and my car unattended (was visiting family). My old Jetta use to have this feature.

Wild Weasel
08-14-2007, 09:56 AM
My Sunfire works like this as well. Not sure why all cars aren't set up like this.

To set it up, you'll just need to find an "always hot" wire under the dash somewhere and route it to the lighter. Easy as pie, so long as you're comfortable doing wiring.

Martian
08-14-2007, 06:09 PM
To set it up, you'll just need to find an "always hot" wire under the dash somewhere and route it to the lighter. Easy as pie, so long as you're comfortable doing wiring.

Any idea which wire would be good to use, and won't overload the circuit? I'd still like the lighter to be connected to fuse.

McGuyver_3
08-14-2007, 11:03 PM
just use a positive always wire and hook up a fuse to it. That way you wont run in to problems

Wild Weasel
08-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Any idea which wire would be good to use, and won't overload the circuit? I'd still like the lighter to be connected to fuse.

Sorry... I haven't got a service manual for these cars yet so I don't have a wiring diagram. I'll bet Skarbro could come up with one for you though. He's just been playing under the dash recently.

There's not too much to worry about when it comes to the load. Cig lighters aren't generally high amperage circuits so things designed to plug into them don't usually draw all that much. You can always put a fuse in-line on whatever wire you choose to use though.

Also... you could leave the one alone in the dash and just hook up an always-hot wire to the one in the arm rest. Then you can plug in your cell and leave it hidden away in the armrest where nobody can see it.

Skarbro
08-15-2007, 09:01 AM
Sorry... I haven't got a service manual for these cars yet so I don't have a wiring diagram. I'll bet Skarbro could come up with one for you though. He's just been playing under the dash recently.

There's not too much to worry about when it comes to the load. Cig lighters aren't generally high amperage circuits so things designed to plug into them don't usually draw all that much. You can always put a fuse in-line on whatever wire you choose to use though.

Also... you could leave the one alone in the dash and just hook up an always-hot wire to the one in the arm rest. Then you can plug in your cell and leave it hidden away in the armrest where nobody can see it.
I can check the wiring manual.

BTW, only the 2007's have the auxilary one in the arm rest. Lower years have only the cigarette lighter.

Wild Weasel
08-15-2007, 09:20 AM
BTW, only the 2007's have the auxilary one in the arm rest. Lower years have only the cigarette lighter.

Ah. Scam! :chuckle

Martian
08-15-2007, 06:04 PM

Yeah, no arm rest for me :-(