PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Loose in 2nd Gear

Wild Weasel
09-07-2007, 08:28 AM
For what it's worth, I tried last night on the way home from the meet, and it just wan't going to happen.

From a casual roll, I couldn't shift to 2nd and break the tires loose. Heat may have had something to do with it. I tried a number of things, from just stabbing the pedal in 2nd at various rpm's to revving up a bit and just lettin' 'er have it. Nothing worked.

For anyone wondering why... there was a bit of discussion about this last night at the meet. Apparently people say they can break loose and leave a patch of rubber if they want to in 2nd gear.

Walrus
09-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Do you have a speed?

I can break the tires loose on my 'regular' 3, when powershifting into 2nd. I agree, the road may have been too warm/sticky. Try it when it's colder out.

Wild Weasel
09-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Do you have a speed?

I can break the tires loose on my 'regular' 3, when powershifting into 2nd. I agree, the road may have been too warm/sticky. Try it when it's colder out.

Yeah, I have a speed. I'm not talking about hammering it into 2nd from the top of 1st though. I'm talking about rolling at 40-50 km/h and then trying to break loose slamming it into 2nd. :)

MPS
09-07-2007, 10:15 AM
i can brake in 3rd
and if i try 4th

cereal83
09-07-2007, 10:15 AM
lol I can't do anything in my 3, I can chirp going from first to 2nd but thats about it.

These people either have no idea what they are talking about or some massive amounts of power

MPS
09-07-2007, 10:16 AM
we drive speeds :)

cwp_sedan
09-07-2007, 10:17 AM
i can brake in 3rd
and if i try 4th

But you are an exception...:chuckle

MPS
09-07-2007, 10:18 AM
no im not

Garu
09-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Chirps in 1st and 2nd. That's with DSC off.
3rd, I can't never do.

Vlad you were in my car that night. lol

dentinger
09-07-2007, 10:39 AM
i can brake loose at the end of first, and in 2nd when i shift.
altho i can only do this in the wet lol

in dry, my wheels will just brake loose for a quick second when shifting into 2nd, and this is when im really pushing it

Wild Weasel
09-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Again... I'm talking about rolling along and then trying to break loose and lay down a patch of rubber.

Vlad, if you can do this, you're totally taking me for a ride next meet just to prove it. :bana

flyinb22
09-07-2007, 10:47 AM
I have no problem breaking loose in 2nd, and thats not with power shifting....as you described from a roll, usually if I keep a steady 3500-4000 rpm in 2nd hold it for a bit then punch the throttle, this way the turbo is spooled and there is minimal lag. I will get a pretty good spin, I am not talking gross amounts of tire shredding smoke but a pretty good amount of squeal...BTW this is with DSC off, if it is on then it is a quick chirp from the tires and Big Brother flashing his traction control symbol in my face.

MPS
09-07-2007, 10:54 AM
WW its call CPE TBE
let me know when ur redy to order 1
i have an order shipping monday :)

http://www.cp-e.com/imgs/MSP3CATBACK_Pic_01.jpg

http://www.cp-e.com/imgs/MSP3_Downpipe_pic_01.JPG

Garu
09-07-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm trading my speed in with an EVO 10 if I get a new job.

Unoriginalusername
09-07-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm trading my speed in with an EVO 10 if I get a new job.

serious?

Unoriginalusername
09-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Again... I'm talking about rolling along and then trying to break loose and lay down a patch of rubber.

Vlad, if you can do this, you're totally taking me for a ride next meet just to prove it. :bana

In the spring there were a few days in the upper teens on the right type of ashphalt where the tires would spin so easily from a roll in second that i pulled over and thought i had a flat.

In the summer before the tbe i would only on occasion get the tires to chirp from a roll in second, after the tbe in the hottest of hot weather it will sqeual second on almost all road conditions but i've yet to have it act like it did in the spring, i expect with the cai and tbe that come the cooler weather getting going will be brutal lol

Garu
09-07-2007, 11:34 AM
serious?

That's if I get a new job. :chuckle
(Probably a big if)

McGuyver_3
09-07-2007, 11:39 AM
you can easily break the tires loose on the 3 in second. My friend did it on his car. He pulled the car all the way up to just over redline in first quickshifted in to second and you get a little chirp not a pee out or anything bt a chirp. Wouldnt do that with my car but i thaught it was cool. He also tried that in 3rdbut it didnt work well at all it just lacked the power lol

Unoriginalusername
09-07-2007, 11:41 AM
you can easily break the tires loose on the 3 in second. My friend did it on his car. He pulled the car all the way up to just over redline in first quickshifted in to second and you get a little chirp not a pee out or anything bt a chirp. Wouldnt do that with my car but i thaught it was cool. He also tried that in 3rdbut it didnt work well at all it just lacked the power lol

we are NOT talking about shifting, i can chirp third and have even chirped 4th on two occasions... we are talking about driving along at 50km and just punching it in second

Unoriginalusername
09-07-2007, 11:42 AM
That's if I get a new job. :chuckle
(Probably a big if)

I'd love the sti, but too much more cash + depreciation... but the evox is the sex for sure

Wild Weasel
09-07-2007, 11:42 AM

No argument here. It's easy to chirp it from the top of first into 2nd. I just couldn't spin them rolling along around 50 and then hitting 2nd. :)

McGuyver_3
09-07-2007, 11:45 AM
oops misunderstanding i thaught you meant chirping it. dont you need a heck of alot more power to really get the tires to break loose though? I know the bmw's can do it but traction control kicks in

SpeedBaby
09-07-2007, 11:56 AM
oops misunderstanding i thaught you meant chirping it. dont you need a heck of alot more power to really get the tires to break loose though? I know the bmw's can do it but traction control kicks in

that's why we have that little button that turns traction control off :chuckle

McGuyver_3
09-07-2007, 04:10 PM
that's why we have that little button that turns traction control off :chuckle

in order to turn it off completely you have to push the button then it goes in to another version of traction control then you have to hold down the button and it turns it off completely bet you didnt know that lol

cereal83
09-07-2007, 07:21 PM
lol I really don't think people with Mazda 3's are driving around TO "letting loose" from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th. Maybe with a Speed. Maybe I just have a weak 3

Xerox
09-07-2007, 08:10 PM
WW, I assume you've tried spooling as much as possible and still not letting loose? The computer limits power output in 2nd gear right? I'm sure that's not helping with this.

lol I really don't think people with Mazda 3's are driving around TO "letting loose" from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th. Maybe with a Speed.

I think that's why this is posted in the MazdaSpeed 3 sub-forum.

midnightfxgt
09-08-2007, 01:16 AM
i can brake in 3rd
and if i try 4th

I would love to see this. Maybe get a vid. I am doubting that while driving normally in 4th you can just drop the hammer, and lay a patch... doubtful.

Mine isnt even close to doing that LOL.

EvilDeadFan
09-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Can't anyone do this on RSA's ? It's called barely moist conditions. ;)

Wild Weasel
09-08-2007, 03:52 PM
lol I really don't think people with Mazda 3's are driving around TO "letting loose" from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th. Maybe with a Speed. Maybe I just have a weak 3

This is the Mazdaspeed3 forum. Even so though, I hope you're right. I only tried it for a moment based on the conversation at the meet on Thursday. I tried it 3 or 4 times in a row, on an empty street, from 50 km/h, just to see if it could be done. Hardly a safety concern of any sort. :)

WW, I assume you've tried spooling as much as possible and still not letting loose? The computer limits power output in 2nd gear right? I'm sure that's not helping with this.

I didn't hold the RPM's up for any length of time. I'll try that next time, though am I really spooling up when giving just a fraction of throttle with the clutch in? This is almost certainly part of the issue.

Can't anyone do this on RSA's ? It's called barely moist conditions. ;)

Speed3's don't come with RSA's. :)

EvilDeadFan
09-08-2007, 04:19 PM
That's true. ;)

Unoriginalusername
09-14-2007, 07:33 AM
mazdaspeed and I did a little test the other day... his with widder gripper tires will spin in second consitantely and tug at 3rd pretty good.

mine with stock wheels will also lite up second from a roll but seems to tug slightly less in third but it's still close to rolling third

Wild Weasel
09-14-2007, 07:53 AM
So what did you do? :)

Unoriginalusername
09-14-2007, 09:24 AM
So what did you do? :)

test drive

Garu
09-14-2007, 11:00 AM
I guess I'll try that on my home today. Or tomorrow morning... since I have wider tires than Vlad's.
But these tires are quite heavier than his. We'll see.

Unoriginalusername
09-14-2007, 12:05 PM
I guess I'll try that on my home today. Or tomorrow morning... since I have wider tires than Vlad's.
But these tires are quite heavier than his. We'll see.

we just rolled into second from around 4k rpm

SP33D 3
09-14-2007, 01:56 PM
in order to turn it off completely you have to push the button then it goes in to another version of traction control then you have to hold down the button and it turns it off completely bet you didnt know that lol

this doesnt work on my speed... i figured it out how to do it though, i have about 3-4 seconds to press the button after turning the engine on and if its right timing then it'll stay completely off, assuming so since the light of the car skidding remains on.. i think the holding it for 10 second thing only works on some of them :S

WhiteSpeed3
09-14-2007, 02:03 PM
i tried i cant do it maybe im doing it wrong

someone has to show me next time i see someone at a meet

SpeedBaby
09-14-2007, 02:04 PM
this doesnt work on my speed... i figured it out how to do it though, i have about 3-4 seconds to press the button after turning the engine on and if its right timing then it'll stay completely off, assuming so since the light of the car skidding remains on.. i think the holding it for 10 second thing only works on some of them :S

Im pretty sure he was mentioning that method in relation to the bimmers, not mazdas...im yet to try it out, just gotta make sure i don't roll the damn thing :chuckle

SP33D 3
09-14-2007, 02:11 PM

next time you turn your engine on, look at the DCS light, the SECOND it turns off press the button so it comes back on... if you did it right then the car skidding light should never go off... i drive like this all the time, since it has to be done when the engine is turned on... dont know what the car is like when the dcs is slightly on or completely on

Unoriginalusername
09-14-2007, 02:37 PM

just nail the gas... accel up to about 4k, hold and punch

Wild Weasel
09-14-2007, 02:47 PM
To turn off the TCS, hold down the DSC button as you turn on the car. The DSC light will blink and both the DSC and TCS lights will stay on. After the DSC light blinks, you can let go of the button.

we just rolled into second from around 4k rpm

Ah... so you didn't start from 40 km/h. :)

Unoriginalusername
09-14-2007, 02:53 PM
To turn off the TCS, hold down the DSC button as you turn on the car. The DSC light will blink and both the DSC and TCS lights will stay on. After the DSC light blinks, you can let go of the button.

Ah... so you didn't start from 40 km/h. :)

don't remember what rpm that is, but it will do it from a lower rpm as well when the rpm climbs too

MZ3_GS
09-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Get a crappier set of tires.

Unoriginalusername
09-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Get a crappier set of tires.

vlad has a widder sticker set than my stockers and he has no problem :bana2

Sean80
09-14-2007, 08:25 PM
cover your front tires in oil before you try, should get some nice smoke lol

Unoriginalusername
09-14-2007, 09:00 PM
cover your front tires in oil before you try, should get some nice smoke lol

lol the speed doesn't need oil on the tires

Sean80
09-15-2007, 09:32 AM
yeah, it will save you some rubber tho

WhiteSpeed3
09-24-2007, 01:03 PM
just got my turbo xs race pipe installed i can break loose no prob now

really big difference in power

b
09-25-2007, 12:13 AM
If I can break loose in 2nd in a sport GT I would think that a speed 3 would have no problems stock...

Unoriginalusername
09-25-2007, 10:28 AM
If I can break loose in 2nd in a sport GT I would think that a speed 3 would have no problems stock...

i would love to see a vid of a gt roll second gear lose from 50kmph lol

Wild Weasel
09-26-2007, 01:53 PM
I think a lot of people reading this don't have a clue what I'm getting at.

Perhaps I didn't word it well.

b
09-26-2007, 02:15 PM
i would love to see a vid of a gt roll second gear lose from 50kmph lol

Ya I can't from 50 but I can at lower speeds.

And I think you mean loose. Ha ha ha.

Maybe it was me... I should have read the entire thread. Oops. I just saw the title and added my 2 cents. :(

Wild Weasel
09-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Yeah... it was probably you. :)

CanadaGTO
09-26-2007, 03:03 PM

I know what you're on about WW :)

2nd should be doable, especially if you're right in the powerband, 3rd would be doubtful, unless you got crappy tires.

Unoriginalusername
11-24-2007, 04:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RlhpTFq6ec

finally got around to uploading that video i mentioned... 2nd gear dry roads below 20 celcious/70f no humidity from september