PDA

View Full Version : mini review: Street Unit Mount and Timing advance.

pahecko
09-13-2007, 06:47 AM
-The begining:
I was having problems with throttle, particularly when going over rough roads, the car would lash or "jerk" when accelerating. I though it was my rear engine mount (which is a real piece of crap btw, thanks mazda) so I started shopping for a new mount. Unfortunately no one had them (and cta was on vacation :complain) so I ordered it from Street Unit directly. 3 days and it was here.

Street Unit Rear Engine Mount --

Installation was simple enough but I needed some elbow greese to get those bolts off. Also, use 2 ton jack stands, the others are too big, and if your car is lowered, get a 2 ton jack, any bigger won't fit under the car!

Take my word on this: Get an after market mount. If I knew the difference before, it would have been the first mod I did. I wouldn't call it a mod, I'd call it a necessity! The car just feels more alive. Everything feels tighter. I can't explain it, it just makes driving even more fun.

-The Saga continues:

So after the install I fired up the car and I could instantly feel a different and this isn't a bad thing. Vibration is there but it's not overwhelming and just feels natural. I took it for a spin only to find that the mount wasn't the cause of the jerky or lashing because, ta da, it was still happening.

Now I was stumped. So I reset the ecu and clean my maf connector. It was alright for like a min then it started up again and my engine light came on. :bang. So I clean out my spark connectors and decided to do another mod >

Timing advance--

this one was a breeze and the different is there. I know you radio preset freaks hate this, but reset your ecu for the love of cars. Anyways, first thing I notice was that my exhaust had a deeper and smother sound. Also, less vibrating while idling.

-The journey ends

Lets try this again, take it out for a spin and viola, no jerking or lashing. Now I don't know if it was the spark connectors or the timing that did it. I'm guessing the timing because I changed from 87 to 91 and though I did that before without this problem, it's the only thing I can think of.

I'll tell you this though, before running 91 past a tank seemed to make the car sluggish but now, wow, balls to the wall. It's not a HUGE difference but enough to notice which, for the most part, is more then can be said for a $200 - $300 intake.

su mount (or any after market): get it!
timing advance: do it!

It's my first "review" so no haters please! lol

CanadaGTO
09-13-2007, 06:58 AM
Unfortunately no one had them (and cta was on vacation :complain) so I ordering it from Street Unit directly. 3 days and it was here.

Street Unit Rear Engine Mount --

Installation was simple enough but I needed some elbow greese to get those bolts off. Also, use 2 ton jack stands, the others are too big, and if your car is lowered, get a 2 ton jack, any bigger won't fit under the car!

Take my word on this: Get an after market mount. If I knew the difference before, it would have been the first mod I did. I wouldn't call it a mod, I'd call it a necessity! The car just feels more alive. Everything feels tighter. I can't explain it, it just makes driving even more fun.

su mount (or any after market): get it!

Sorry we weren't around when you needed us :(

Good to see you liked the MotorMount though, I agree, I love mine also.

For anyone looking for one, we have them in stock ready for pickup. And I'm back in town :)

Patrique

pahecko
09-13-2007, 07:05 AM
Sorry we weren't around when you needed us :(

Good to see you liked the MotorMount though, I agree, I love mine also.

For anyone looking for one, we have them in stock ready for pickup. And I'm back in town :)

Patrique

No worries. I should have picked it up before but I kept putting it off.

WeatherB
09-14-2007, 07:32 AM
The mount is definitely a required upgrade for the 5speed. I have been very happy with mine.

It gives the car a nice growl as well.

MattC
09-14-2007, 10:18 AM
does this help auto's too?

stevenlung
09-14-2007, 10:31 AM
I wanna know how to do the timing advance?

Skarbro
09-14-2007, 10:32 AM
I concur with your review on the mount. It's a beautiful mod.

The timing advance mod, I'm not too keen on.

WeatherB
09-14-2007, 11:12 AM

Ya, I'm not keen on using 91 octane gas. I've already heard that this might actually cause you to lose power.

WeatherB
09-14-2007, 11:13 AM

Hmm. Probably only if you use the manual mode.

KenYork
09-14-2007, 01:24 PM

Yep it definitely helps in auto's... smoother shifting(IMO).

pahecko
09-14-2007, 01:59 PM

Why not? It honestly makes a difference and you dont' have to use 91 oct. I'm going to try 89 and then 87 and see if it makes any difference.

I still get wheel hop with this mount but it's way better. just small little hops. Perhaps too much power :chuckle

WeatherB
09-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Why not? It honestly makes a difference and you dont' have to use 91 oct. I'm going to try 89 and then 87 and see if it makes any difference.

I still get wheel hop with this mount but it's way better. just small little hops. Perhaps too much power :chuckle

My wheel hop is completely gone, but I think the new springs helped this as well.

Skarbro
09-14-2007, 03:01 PM

I'm skeptical. I'de like to see some dyno sheets.

pahecko
09-14-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm skeptical. I'de like to see some dyno sheets.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=46205.0

My wheel hop is completely gone, but I think the new springs helped this as well.

hmm.. well i've got springs and shocks. maybe my rubber just sucks.

Skarbro
09-14-2007, 03:15 PM
Interesting. For me 5hp isn't worth having to switch to 89+ octane though.

pahecko
09-14-2007, 03:30 PM
awww you know you want to. 5hp is 5hp after all. and i believe thats with a stock header.

Some say they needed to switch octane and others say they see a difference without switching with no problems.

I'll give an update next week about that : )

pahecko
09-14-2007, 03:33 PM
I wanna know how to do the timing advance?

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=f472cde87345ab535d21fa9714e372 24&topic=39020.msg585573#msg585573

Kevin@nextmod
09-14-2007, 04:00 PM
where can you get the timing done? and does this void the warranty from mazda?

pahecko
09-14-2007, 05:09 PM
where can you get the timing done? and does this void the warranty from mazda?

I can do it for you it's easy. as for the warranty, you can just put it back before you go in. ;)

Kevin@nextmod
09-14-2007, 05:17 PM
That would be sweeet if you can. I just pm'ed pat for the motor mount too. So i'll be putting that in as well.

Another question is.....so if i deicded not to use the timing advance anymore...and want to use 87 octane cause i'm going to go broke i can always change it back and there will not be a problem right?

Thanks

doughboyr6
09-14-2007, 08:52 PM
its 100% reversible....

i was going to do that mod, just haven't gotten around to it....read the thread....its damn long tho....it took me like 3 days to read 70% of it....lol.

pahecko
09-15-2007, 12:12 AM
That would be sweeet if you can. I just pm'ed pat for the motor mount too. So i'll be putting that in as well.

Another question is.....so if i deicded not to use the timing advance anymore...and want to use 87 octane cause i'm going to go broke i can always change it back and there will not be a problem right?

Thanks

Np. you can switch it back anytime but i would suggest reseting the ecu so it'll relearn quicker. We'll mark the original position with perma marker.

I can do the mount too : ) Though those bolts can be a pain in the arse.

Kevin@nextmod
09-15-2007, 12:21 AM
Np. you can switch it back anytime but i would suggest reseting the ecu so it'll relearn quicker. We'll mark the original position with perma marker.

wow......that would be great if you can......how can i pay you?

baymoe
09-15-2007, 02:43 AM
On your knees... lol... j/p

wow, you all seem to be enjoying the motor mount. As for vibrations after installation, how would you rate it as? I'm already noticing some occasional vibes while idling with everything stock. Do any of you actually dislike the motor mount upgrade mod?

Skarbro
09-15-2007, 05:19 AM
On your knees... lol... j/p

wow, you all seem to be enjoying the motor mount. As for vibrations after installation, how would you rate it as? I'm already noticing some occasional vibes while idling with everything stock. Do any of you actually dislike the motor mount upgrade mod?
Not at all! It's nothing but positive. The vibrations are overrated.

WeatherB
09-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Not at all! It's nothing but positive. The vibrations are overrated.

The vibrations are not too bad, but expect to adjust your driving style a bit. For me, I used to start up at 700rpm but had to change it to 1100rpm due to the vibrations.

pahecko
09-16-2007, 04:26 PM
wow......that would be great if you can......how can i pay you?

Don't worry about payment. Let me know when you get the mount and we'll set a date.

Kevin@nextmod
09-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Just picked mine up from pat......

Skarbro
09-16-2007, 09:22 PM
I used my impact wrench. It's a simple easy job if you have that tool.

Gizzmo_jr
09-16-2007, 11:27 PM
So this was the second review I've read, other being Skarbo's. I've had this motor mount for some time just never got around to doing it. All this talk made me take the hour (really, just hand tools as well) to put it in.

WOW just like they say, talk about vehicle feedback. Sure there is alittle more rumble in your seat at lower rpm's but there ain't no more lashing or "squishyness" to the engine. Loving it. That first startup you know somethings different.

Gizzmo_jr
09-28-2007, 11:12 AM
A couple tanks later and the mount has broken in. I like it now, although I was cool with the extreme vibrations, it was getting a little annoying but now the vibrations have decreased. It's just the right about of duro rating that I would expect from a motor mount.

WeatherB
09-28-2007, 08:40 PM
A couple tanks later and the mount has broken in. I like it now, although I was cool with the extreme vibrations, it was getting a little annoying but now the vibrations have decreased. It's just the right about of duro rating that I would expect from a motor mount.

Exactly, I agree. Mine suddenly broke in after about 2000km

Kevin@nextmod
09-29-2007, 12:21 AM
Do you guys drive an auto or standard? I picked one up from pat and i heard from someone that putting this in an auto will have extreme vibrations. Fact or lies?

Skarbro
09-29-2007, 01:30 AM
Do you guys drive an auto or standard?
I drive manual.

I picked one up from pat and i heard from someone that putting this in an auto will have extreme vibrations. Fact or lies?
In general I think that's true for autos of most cars. They seem to get more noticable vibrations with aftermarket mounts. I'm not sure if that's the case in the 3 though.

Gizzmo_jr
09-29-2007, 03:20 AM
To answer Pearly, I drive stick.

KenYork
09-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Do you guys drive an auto or standard? I picked one up from pat and i heard from someone that putting this in an auto will have extreme vibrations. Fact or lies?

I drive an auto, the vibration is not too bad for the warmer part of the year. I'm taking it out for the winter.

Kevin@nextmod
09-30-2007, 09:01 AM
so i guess i should wait for next year to put it on?

Skarbro
09-30-2007, 10:08 AM
so i guess i should wait for next year to put it on?
Honestly why wait? Go for it man. Forget about what you read and put it in and judge for yourself. You can always easily swap it out again if you don't like it.

Kevin@nextmod
09-30-2007, 02:00 PM
^^^ thats true.....i'll take your word....i'll see if i can find a day to put it on.

KenYork
09-30-2007, 04:13 PM
You don't need a day. An hour should do.