PDA

View Full Version : Shifting - 2nd to 3rd

REZXPERT
09-19-2007, 02:59 PM
mileage just under 2K. shifting sometimes sticks before engaging into 3rd, usually when i'm revving higher in between shifts but not always... maybe 3/10 shifts. is this normal? clutch in, giving it gas... don't know what's happening. any clues? thanks,

kid_icarus
09-19-2007, 03:40 PM
do you mean it feels like you're riding on the clutch?

if so i think i feel the same thing sometimes... i'm not sure if it's me or if it's the car...

i think it's a very delicate transition because yes it sticks and you get this feeling like you're riding the clutch and then the car tugs a lot before the gear feels like it's fully engaged...

let me know if that's what you're talking about

Unoriginalusername
09-19-2007, 04:01 PM
grinding or sticking?

REZXPERT
09-19-2007, 04:37 PM
man, it's a bit of both. i don't necessarily hear grinding but i can feel the grinding into 3rd... worse, sometimes it just won't shift into third (sticking?) without forcing it in hard. like i said, doesn't happen all the time but enough to be embarassing when i'm trying to impress someone riding shotgun. going to the dealership tomorrow anyway to have the engine mount bolt checked out further to the recall so i'll bring this up, too. sidenote: heard a loud bang from my car on the highway like other MS3 owners were reporting. just once though.

Flagrum_3
09-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Okay I don't have a Speed3 but I was experiencing the same thing but with 2nd & 3rd gears, I switched to synthetic gear oil and the problem has mostly been solved...it still sometimes gives me trouble with 3rd, but rarely...Now I'm wondering if it possibly could be the shifter itself.

_3

Garu
09-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Is this the hitting the gate issue when shifting to 3rd from 2nd?
I get that time to time. Bothers the crap out of me and it looks like i don't know how to drive manual.

zoomzoom33
03-22-2008, 07:28 PM
I have a similar issue with the shifts, But mine is mainly shifting into 1st or 2nd from neutral. When the car is rolling in neutral around 15km/hr or less, I have a hard time putting it into gear. This happens quite often as I get stuck in traffic and I leave my car in neutral. Took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. Going to try synthetic tranny oil to see if it helps.

Noisy Crow
03-22-2008, 07:36 PM
I have a similar issue with the shifts, But mine is mainly shifting into 1st or 2nd from neutral. When the car is rolling in neutral around 15km/hr or less, I have a hard time putting it into gear. This happens quite often as I get stuck in traffic and I leave my car in neutral. Took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. Going to try synthetic tranny oil to see if it helps.

Another necro-thread!

If the car is moving try blipping the throttle (a bit) while putting it into gear.

mit-gee-mui
03-22-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm not sure if this is a similar thread to this. If not, I apologize.:blush

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23084&highlight=shifting

JashiK
03-23-2008, 12:36 AM
i get that from 2nd to 3rd when pushing the car. it hits the gate as garu mentioned. sometimes 4th to 5th as well. it's once in a while not always. could it be the shifter bushings?

Chrys
03-28-2008, 01:18 PM
I had the same problems.
Mazda started by changing the grade of the transmission oil last summer and it did help a lot.
But then I had a hard time getting out of the 3rd gear, like real hard time. I had to put a lot of pressure to get it out, but that didn't last too long, 1 or 2 weeks.

But this winter the transmission was making some sort of grinding sound when releasing the gas pedal but staying in gear (mostly 2nd and first).
Mazda repaired my transmission by replacing the 1rst and 2nd gear and the sync gears as well, but it broke the same day I got the car back and we lost the usage of the 1rst and 2nd gear. Not so practical on a green light...

So they replaced it by a new one.
The new transmission would not work properly in 1rst and 2nd when cold, but worked fine when warm.
Mazda decided to replace it AGAIN!

Now it's not so bad, but when I stop at a red light and everything is neutral, I clutch and pass the first gear, there's a "thump", and the car wants to go forward a little even though I have my foot on the clutch.

I lost my car 35 days so far because of all this and it's still not working like it should.
Mazda Canada paid over 11K of repair on my car so far and they are getting a bit nervous now...

Noisy Crow
03-28-2008, 01:27 PM
^^^:whoa That's insane!

Did they check the shift linkage?

Chrys
03-28-2008, 10:36 PM
^^^:whoa That's insane!

Did they check the shift linkage?

Nope, nothing was checked.
I also forgot to say that the rear engine mount was broken the second time they replace my transmission. I guess it wasn't installed properly and snaped.

But I don't think they check the clutch, the pressure plate or anything like that.

The feeling I got is they tried to fix something that was out of their league, and now they are cought with their pants down...

//Chrys

Fobio
04-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Mazda Canada paid over 11K of repair on my car so far and they are getting a bit nervous now...

So what colour will you get when they offer you a new car? Will you take another MS3?

Chrys
04-03-2008, 07:07 PM
I just had a screaming match with them...
Now they are telling me the problem is not a problem.
So I'm taking the car to a different dealer, but its looking bad for me.

alhope34
04-03-2008, 09:50 PM
I just had a screaming match with them...
Now they are telling me the problem is not a problem.
So I'm taking the car to a different dealer, but its looking bad for me.

Were you rough on the transmission or anything during break-in periods?

mogul_pro
04-03-2008, 10:01 PM
I had the EXACT problem on my 2006 mazda3 and after taking it to st. catharines mazda 4-5 times so they could play witha few settings and douplicate the problem with a tech driving my car... they gave me a new tranny.. that happened at around 30,000km.. now at 52,000 km and no problems with the new one so far.

Chrys
04-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Were you rough on the transmission or anything during break-in periods?

nah, it was changed during the winter so I have no chance to take the car on a track or anything like that. And my girlfriend still doesn't see the difference between a 3 and an MS3 lol ;-)

//Chrys

mps32008
08-27-2008, 10:38 AM
i did have that problem once in a while.. but usually when i drive normally... During high revs, no problem at all

CamelFilters
11-11-2008, 09:46 AM
I've also been living with a grinding problem for the past year with my 07 speed3. It happens mostly when driving spiritedly and shifting fast. At first i took the car to mazda and had them look at it, but all the techs can say was "shift slower", they claim there was nothing wrong with the car. After, i also changed the transmission fluid to redline mt-90 and felt no difference.

So i finally listened to everyone and changed the rear engine mount.
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=228
this is a picture of the stock engine mount.
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=229
after careful inspection, i discovered a huge crack just where the bolt is inserted and connects to the engine. even with just minimum amount of pressure you can see how much it opens up.

I think my problem with the grinding has been solved; i'm not sure if it's completely solved yet, but so far so good. I have the Street Unit 62A durmeter and vibes in the car have been minimal even with the A/C on.

alhope34
11-11-2008, 05:10 PM
My rear MM was the exact same as yours when I got it replaced with the SU MM, and I still grind sometimes shifting from 1st to 2nd.

CamelFilters
11-11-2008, 06:29 PM
My rear MM was the exact same as yours when I got it replaced with the SU MM, and I still grind sometimes shifting from 1st to 2nd.

yup, i just installed mine very recently and today and i drove around a little bit and did some hard acceleration at times to see if it would still grind: results were that i still had some grinding 2nd to 3rd but it is more predictable now and nothing like it was before with the stock motor mount; i would say it solves 85% of my grinding issue. Overall i'm happy with this mount and the vibrations in the cabin on idle shouldnt throw my wife off into a frenzy.

stormin84
11-11-2008, 08:23 PM
i don't have the problem with the shifting of 2nd to 3rd but i seem to be having trouble getting out of 3rd...its like its stuck and i need to force it out.

Tuga
11-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Changing to synthetic oil for me didnt work it still grinds.
I dont know what else to do :bang:bang

silvermist99
11-12-2008, 09:51 AM
my 2-3 grinds when I shift like I'm 1/4 mile racing. It doesn't grind at all when I shift quick on roadcourse, only grinds when I'm really really trying to shift fast. I noticed that if I shove the lever up to third fast (by force) it grinds. If I push it up gently it goes in smoothly and doesnt grind.

The techs are probably right, only way to not grind in this car is shift slower or double clutch. If I shift this car like how I drive hondas I'll grind it to hell.

when its cold then totally different story, first 5min is always double clutch upshifts 1-2 and 2-3.

I'm on stock fluid&mount

Fobio
11-12-2008, 10:16 AM
I think you guys should consider a replacement tranny/driver-side mount. Other than SU, there should be other options out there soon.

silvermist99
11-12-2008, 01:11 PM
i recall reading on m3f the syncros don't change speed fast enough which causes this.

the couple other high powered fwd manual car i've driven is the same unlike low torque hondas. I think its pretty normal?

In the morning even if im off the gas when rolling, if im in 1st and pull it fast into 2nd without ever touching the gas or engine twisting it will still grind

Fobio
11-12-2008, 01:46 PM
i recall reading on m3f the syncros don't change speed fast enough which causes this.

the couple other high powered fwd manual car i've driven is the same unlike low torque hondas. I think its pretty normal?

In the morning even if im off the gas when rolling, if im in 1st and pull it fast into 2nd without ever touching the gas or engine twisting it will still grind

as much as you baby the tranny, it shouldn't NEED it...my theory is that some of the 2007 cars have now gone thru enough miles that their stock mounts are starting to go in general...that includes, rear motor mount, tranny mount/driver-side mount and the passnger-side mount...none of the mounts may be failing, but deteriorated enough that things aren't "lined-up" properly...

my hope, is that the earlier you change the rear motor mount, the less drivetrain movement your car will be subjected to...

there are several instances of the tranny/driver-side mount completely exploding, as it's liquid filled...

silvermist99
11-12-2008, 02:48 PM
as much as you baby the tranny, it shouldn't NEED it...my theory is that some of the 2007 cars have now gone thru enough miles that their stock mounts are starting to go in general...that includes, rear motor mount, tranny mount/driver-side mount and the passnger-side mount...none of the mounts may be failing, but deteriorated enough that things aren't "lined-up" properly...

my hope, is that the earlier you change the rear motor mount, the less drivetrain movement your car will be subjected to...

there are several instances of the tranny/driver-side mount completely exploding, as it's liquid filled...

thats true, with the way the rear mount rip on these cars. all mounts are probably torn on our cars

MSMitch
11-12-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm also curious to see if my mount is torn or not - I haven't noticed a difference lately - we'll see if I notice the diff once I install the cp-e mount...

ptfire
11-13-2008, 11:52 PM
I used to have grinding sometimes going from 1st to 2nd. Now the tranny shifts great, I have a SU rear mount and when I am changing from 1st to 2nd pull the shifter towards you at the same time. No more grinding problems.

Mazda3Greek
11-22-2008, 04:09 PM
I got a 2008.5 GS auto and I notice the sticking between 2nd and 3rd when I'm going at a decent speed, when I'm acelerating hard I dont notice it even when I'm at a slower speed I notice the sticking.

Darkleaf
11-22-2008, 04:25 PM
I've also been living with a grinding problem for the past year with my 07 speed3. It happens mostly when driving spiritedly and shifting fast. At first i took the car to mazda and had them look at it, but all the techs can say was "shift slower", they claim there was nothing wrong with the car. After, i also changed the transmission fluid to redline mt-90 and felt no difference.

So i finally listened to everyone and changed the rear engine mount.
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=228
this is a picture of the stock engine mount.
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=229
after careful inspection, i discovered a huge crack just where the bolt is inserted and connects to the engine. even with just minimum amount of pressure you can see how much it opens up.

I think my problem with the grinding has been solved; i'm not sure if it's completely solved yet, but so far so good. I have the Street Unit 62A durmeter and vibes in the car have been minimal even with the A/C on.

Is this the recall mount? Or the original? Any reason you didn't go with the recall mount? And where do you go for service? Thanks.

CamelFilters
12-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Is this the recall mount? Or the original? Any reason you didn't go with the recall mount? And where do you go for service? Thanks.

the picture you see there is the stock rear engine mount. you'll find it if you go underneath the car; it is mounted on the rear side of the engine and tranny bolted on to the chassis. the recall mount is mount/bolt number 4(i believe) located near the battery on the driver side of the vehicle under the hood.

for service on the recall mount, i simply when my local mazda dealer (ajax);
as for changing the rear engine mount, i did it myself.

good luck

SKYMP3
06-21-2009, 08:44 PM
My 2nd to 3rs Grind ALL THE TIME when driving hard, it's annoying....they built a 263hp car and the car can't shift properly?!?!

alhope34
06-21-2009, 08:46 PM
My 2nd to 3rs Grind ALL THE TIME when driving hard, it's annoying....they built a 263hp car and the car can't shift properly?!?!

To be fair, Mazda didnt design or make the gearbox. They just bought it and used it.

SKYMP3
06-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Then they have to make sure the part they bought and used are good, because it's Mazda who sell the car to us, not the tranny or the gearbox company.

MRT_MS3
06-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Yep. I've done the shifter link cable adjustment and shortening the Shifter bushing isolators and still hate the way this car shifts. Im only left with changing the rear engine mount and see if it will help. After that, I don't know what else to do....

alhope34
06-21-2009, 09:26 PM
the motor mount helped for me, I don't often get grinding anymore.

Karateman
06-22-2009, 09:25 PM
I've had a few grinding experiences between 2nd to 3rd only on track where I did it about 4X. Mind u I was heel-to-toeing and shifting as fast as I could. On the streets, I've never grinded. I hope this doesn't become a future problem.