PDA

View Full Version : Squealing Brakes ....... Again ?!

REZXPERT
09-28-2007, 05:35 PM
now this won't be news to non-MS3 owners (including myself, a previous 3 owner)... especially on cold or damp days - SQUEALLING, HELLISHLY EMBARASSING BRAKES. i took this up with various dealerships - including Mazda Canada - with the same answers: 'it's not a safety issue, just an occasional annoyance' (?!), ie, they're not obligated to do anything about it. well, they're damn right it's an annoyance on a brand new car, i don't care what kind of longer-lasting composite they use in the brake pads. long story short: i drive an MS3 now, less than a month old, under 3K, our first cool/cold day today....starting to squeal when coming to stops....nothing like my previous 3 but this brings back BAD memories, the kind i wasn't hoping to revisit on a car of which i spent $34K.

are you/have you MS3 owners experienced the same? are the MS3 pads/rotors the same composite as the non-MS3's?

i know my recourse is zero but i'm not goin down without a fight this time.

CanadaGTO
09-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Have you though about Hawk Pads?? I have the Ceramic on mine and I get no squeeking now..... The HPS should be the same :)

Unoriginalusername
09-28-2007, 10:59 PM
man you need to sell your car... you're so paranoid about all these little things

MPS
09-28-2007, 11:17 PM
look man you drive a Mazda give up i did
i will never drive Mazda again

b
09-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Try erin mills mazda. They swapped my pads/rotors when my car had 20,000km on it when mine were squealing. They also said my rotors were pitted or something. Don't know if that is why they replaced them all... My reason for taking them in at the time was purely for the death squeal.

Donutz
09-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Have you though about Hawk Pads?? I have the Ceramic on mine and I get no squeeking now..... The HPS should be the same :)

^^ +1. I have HPS and no squeeking yet. I changed the rotors at the same time though. My stock pads/rotors used to squeek like crazy.

mazda lover
09-29-2007, 02:03 PM
2005...mine started to squeal within the first week of owning the car. Nothing has changed, they still do after 2 and a half years and 37,000km later. Why do I have spend money within the first week to replace my brakes to stop the squealing? WTF Thanks to those for their recommendation when its time to replace them which could be after a few more years of driving. When my neighbours hear the squealing they know its a Mazda, especially a new one, and Mazda's name is on the car not mine. Ask me if I would buy another, go ahead, make my day...lol

WLS ZMZM
09-29-2007, 03:21 PM
I love how everyone hates on the mazda's brakes.... this is not the only new car that does it.... in fact... every car with carbon metallic pads does it... why do you think they are so cheap to replace ??? It's a simple fix don't like it upgrade em... its not the end of the world undfortunately carbon metallic pads are dirt cheap, hence why most companies use them..... in fact if you were to do your research before buying the car you would know that the 3's are notorious for it.... but its a simple fix.. replace the pads no more noise....

b
09-29-2007, 05:10 PM
^ Yes but... You can see where he/she come from when they buy a new car and have breaks that squeal. I am sure you'd bitch about it if you bought a new t.v. and the remote volume button didn't work. Yes you could fix it by buying a new/better remote...

WLS ZMZM
09-29-2007, 05:20 PM
I guess.. but again.... with proper research you wouldn't buy that TV because you knew it had a history of remote trouble.. thats my point..... Before I bought my 3, I did a bunch of research on the car... to find out if the car had any major TSB's ... or any other major problems... and to find out what issues the car has normally....

REZXPERT
09-29-2007, 10:13 PM
"It's a simple fix don't like it upgrade em.." it's also an unnecessary and costly fix. and fortunately i don't have that kinda attitude, esp after making major purchases like cars, homes.... if you accept the status quo - be it squealing brakes on a new car or whatever the case - and choose not to complain about it, Mazda will only continue to equip their cars with inferior parts. why else would they mail out long-ass surveys? they do listen.

and i did my research - that's why i didn't buy GM, Chrysler..... or Ford.... :/

Patrique, i'll take your advice & pick up the Hawks like i did for my previous 3.

call it over-reacting or whatever but someone's gotta complain about it if you guys aren't/haven't. not just doin this for me.

jspeed_3
11-12-2007, 04:19 PM
i had the same issue when i got my car but the squealing just stopped maybe after 2000k

Wild Weasel
11-13-2007, 08:23 AM
Mine have never squealed. Lucky me I guess. :)

Fuman
11-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Do you park outside or in a garage?

Mine tends to squeak only if left outside over-night.
I haven't had a squeal YET from inside the garage.
(Talking strictly this season. I don't remember the last one)

Cardinal Fang
11-13-2007, 12:57 PM
No problems with my brakes and I'm pure stock.

mazda lover
11-18-2007, 08:39 AM
No problems with my brakes and I'm pure stock.

Nice to hear some have no issue with the brake squeal, but those who haven't what year is your car
Mine is a 2005 and squeal like a pig being slaughtered. After one week of owning the car why do I need to put money into changing the brake pads at my expense, please explain that to me. For those who think I should have researched the car before buying tell me how I do that if the only in its 2 year of production and didn't have a computer at the time, where do I get the info? Help me out...
Thanks guys

Flagrum_3
11-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Nice to hear some have no issue with the brake squeal, but those who haven't what year is your car
Mine is a 2005 and squeal like a pig being slaughtered. After one week of owning the car why do I need to put money into changing the brake pads at my expense, please explain that to me. For those who think I should have researched the car before buying tell me how I do that if the only in its 2 year of production and didn't have a computer at the time, where do I get the info? Help me out...
Thanks guys

I'm just wondering...are you people complaining that the brakes squeel 'All the Time' or just during the first drive of the day?

My thoughts are that if the answer is all the time, then have the brakes changed under warranty, I believe there is a TSB on it...both front and back.
But if its just in the morning, which is what I experience, its normal for the compound which the pads are made from and goes away after a few brake applications and really, it's no big deal....I live with it especially since I love the performance of the brakes as a whole on the 3.....much better than many many vehicles out there.

_3

Unoriginalusername
11-18-2007, 09:02 PM
mine have started this under slow turns with the brakes on... might be the cold

MSMitch
01-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Uhhh, I don't get it, what do you mean brake, what's with all you people braking? Speed3's are meant to GO
Seriously though, I get the occasional squeal on light app of the brakes after rain in cold - usually getting out of driveway (not parked in garage).
My old A4 did it, past dodge stealth did too. Usually radios up too loud to hear, or I'm getting old? Once in a blue doesn't bother me, but when neighbors stare not because of the cool exhaust sounds, but shrieking brakes - that'd drive me bonkers too.:bang

streetwerks
01-07-2008, 11:11 PM
where abouts are you located

MSMitch
01-08-2008, 11:37 AM
North York area - you? (assuming you were asking me) :)

nicker
01-08-2008, 12:39 PM
MPS
Sr Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

look man you drive a Mazda give up i did
i will never drive Mazda again

what is with this statement? why are you here anymore if you are just going to bash the product?

what is it that is so much better now that you drive........

Unoriginalusername
01-08-2008, 01:51 PM
what is with this statement? why are you here anymore if you are just going to bash the product?

what is it that is so much better now that you drive........

a mazdaspeed 3... it is sarcasim :chuckle

nicker
01-08-2008, 02:34 PM
a mazdaspeed 3... it is sarcasim

ahhhhh, sorry dude.

matt9
01-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Just curious, but to fix these noisy brakes, you just need to replace the brake pads? to what? how much abouts are we talking about..

streetwerks
01-08-2008, 11:07 PM
at the mazda dealership i am a tech at we have been using an anti-squeal spray on all of the speeds and had pretty good luck with it

MSMitch
12-16-2008, 12:34 PM
at the mazda dealership i am a tech at we have been using an anti-squeal spray on all of the speeds and had pretty good luck with it

Dust off the thread...
25,000km on my Speed 3 and the squealing has started - all of the time, when at a snails pace while braking. :complain

Much louder than my A4 was. Annoying. May have to look into this spray - how long does it last, aside from aftermarket brakes, any other fixes - when I'm alond, not a problem cause the radio is loud, but with my wife, we talk and stuff... :chuckle

matt9
12-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Same with me.. at about 36kkm, I started hearing it. Randomly (when it rains or cold) its amazingly loud.

craigrodrigues88
01-27-2009, 02:53 PM
i am getting a clicking noise from my back left corner under very light braking. I am wondering if maybe a clip came loose holding the brake pad and that is what is causing the noise? Any ideas?

Prima Tech Aaron
02-08-2009, 05:23 AM

are you talking about the sticky stuff on the back or the gray break in stuff
sprayed on the friction material?

either way I've never used them. I find a lot of the brake noise is caused by
uneven wear on the pads and rotors. ie. raised lip on outer edge of rotor.
sometimes pitted or rusted. pads have outer edge and inner edge worn down
in a groove. I just machine the rotor sand down the pads and the sound is gone. I don't know for how long but one hasn't come back in the 2 years I've worked here.

I've also seen hard/high speed braking causing the pads to glaze and rotors to become polished or have melted pad material stuck to them.

so driving style comes into play.

wmzda5
09-24-2009, 09:47 PM
are you talking about the sticky stuff on the back or the gray break in stuff
sprayed on the friction material?

either way I've never used them. I find a lot of the brake noise is caused by
uneven wear on the pads and rotors. ie. raised lip on outer edge of rotor.
sometimes pitted or rusted. pads have outer edge and inner edge worn down
in a groove. I just machine the rotor sand down the pads and the sound is gone. I don't know for how long but one hasn't come back in the 2 years I've worked here.

I've also seen hard/high speed braking causing the pads to glaze and rotors to become polished or have melted pad material stuck to them.

so driving style comes into play.

+1

I agree.
The easiest way I could think of....
1) Lube the caliper pins, If one of them is sticking, the pads will press unevenly on the rotors which will tend to vibrate and cause the squealing sound.

2) When you wear out the pads, the chamfer on the outer edges of the pads are also worn out. Friction dynamics will bring on the squealing, Add a little bit of chamfer on the leading edges of the pads whenever you service your brakes, with the chamfer, the approach on whatever contaminants (rust, dust, water etc.) on the leading edge will be somewhat milder hence less vibrations. I've been doing this since my first car 20+ yrs ago and SOP when I worked as a mechanic in my teen yrs.

If you look at the most expensive pads in canadian tire compared to a cheap one you will see that everything (material and size is the same) except for these chamfers. Also it wouldn't hurt if you add some cross slots on the pads if you're up to it. This will help disperse heat faster (regular street use) much like having slots on the rotors for the same reason. The contact surface lost on the slots are minimal on regular usage.

3) Squealing sound is normal when you first started the car, this is the rust accumulated overnight especially during high humidity. It will squeal until it clears all the rust accumulated overnight.

Also more likely to be normal if it happens only when going backwards. What happens is the rotor and pads have matching grooves from use and will not be aligned if you go backwards thus causing it to vibrate.

Unoriginalusername
09-24-2009, 10:24 PM
holly back from the dead batman

Zoom Zoom Boy
09-24-2009, 10:39 PM
holly back from the dead batman

Noobs...:chuckle