PDA

View Full Version : Remote Starter & Key Fob Questions

wraith
11-22-2007, 04:53 PM
I've been call around trying to find a good deal on remote starts and a lot of places say that to program the lock/unlock on the starter will cost 50$ more else I have to carry two fobs, i.e.: the OEM one and the remote starter.

Just wondering, can I program the lock/unlock on the remote starter FOB by myself using the programing instructions at http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=11675

Also, on a side note, (yes I'm complicated)... I want to get a Flip key for my Mazda 3... BUT, I hear that you can program ONLY 3 fobs so would that mean that if I get a remote start (and program the lock/unlock on it) and then I get a Flip Key (and program the lock/unlock on that) then I would end up with having ONLY:
- 1 OEM,
- 1 Remote Start FOB and
- 1 Flip Key ???

KenYork
11-22-2007, 06:52 PM
try or sponsors:

EAST http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21305

or

WEST http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21331

They work with OEM key FOB's

wraith
11-23-2007, 09:20 AM
Yeah.. thats the thing, I'm in Sudbury which is in north Ontario.. no where near Toronto. Audio Heaven is in Richmond Hill and Selective Sound is in Mississauga..

But, your link helped by confirming that when I do get the remote start I'll be able to use that along side the flip key fob.

But I'm still wondering. The programing of the lock/unlock buttons on the remote start. can they be done by me using the same steps as the programing for an extra OEM fob?

wraith
11-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Ok.. I decided to go with Canadian Tire and get the ProStart CT-3300 installed.

Someone please please clarify this next issue for me............

Is it true that you can have ONLY 3 FOBs programmed for your car? If so, that means after getting the ProStart installed I'll have my maximum FOBs? [That is; 2 OEM Mazda 3 FOB keys and 1 ProStart Remote Starter FOB]
So if I want to get a Flip Key then I'll have to eliminate one of the OEM keys?????

Some input on this please!!!!

wraith
11-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Ok.. I decided to go with Canadian Tire and get the ProStart CT-3300 installed.

Someone please please clarify this next issue for me............

Is it true that you can have ONLY 3 FOBs programmed for your car? If so, that means after getting the ProStart installed I'll have my maximum FOBs? [That is; 2 OEM Mazda 3 FOB keys and 1 ProStart Remote Starter FOB]
So if I want to get a Flip Key then I'll have to eliminate one of the OEM keys?????

Some input on this please!!!!

Oh well.. some more forum searches and I got the answer to my question:
"A maximum of eight keys can be registered for any one vehicle."

EDIT: 8 Keys and 3 Remotes.. (or so i gathered.. yawn....)

KenYork
11-23-2007, 04:39 PM
I don't think all aftermarket security/remote start systems can use the OEM FOB's.

flylice13
11-26-2007, 12:27 AM
just a heads up, watch out for some remote starters, they tend to f*ck up your ignition. I've had to replace mine once already.

selective sound
11-30-2007, 01:06 PM
It's not the remote start that does it, it's a bad installation that will do that, remember a lot of guys install these but really should not be touching cars. I would say be careful of who installs it. Check their feedback because there are a lot of hacks out there that will screw up your car.
just a heads up, watch out for some remote starters, they tend to f*ck up your ignition. I've had to replace mine once already.