PDA

View Full Version : Mildest Toned Cat Back

Carlisle
12-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Guys.. im in the market for a cat back for my mazda 3 GT sedan 07. However i really hate that loud high pitched tone from most exhaust. Therefore my question is what is the mildest toned cat back out there? Meaning what cat back is the softest...nice low rummble.. but nothing too loud... like im 26 and i dont want to look like a little punk with my loud car.. you know what i mean..

any help would be greatly appreciated!

p-o-g-i
12-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Guys.. im in the market for a cat back for my mazda 3 GT sedan 07. However i really hate that loud high pitched tone from most exhaust. Therefore my question is what is the mildest toned cat back out there? Meaning what cat back is the softest...nice low rummble.. but nothing too loud... like im 26 and i dont want to look like a little punk with my loud car.. you know what i mean..

any help would be greatly appreciated!

+1
I'm in the same boat as Carlisle!!!!! Looking for a catback too....
Same applies to me.... except I'm 30.... so anyone in their 20's is a little punk to me... hahaha... just kidding. I maybe 30, but my wife tells me I act like I'm 19... hahah.

Kevin@nextmod
12-16-2007, 10:53 PM
too bad you guys drive sedans.....the 5zigen i sold have everything you want. Very soft and quiet and just a little rumble....no drone at all....

Carlisle
12-17-2007, 12:22 AM
why that wont fit the sedan>??? any similar sounding ones which will fit?

Axelarate
12-17-2007, 07:42 AM
Oh, it will fit the sedan. You just need to get the pipe extended by about 2-3 inches to get the tip to clear the back bumper. I am the same as you and p-o-g-i. I don't like loud sounding exhausts. However, I do have a vibrant cat-back installed on my 07 sport gt that I've gotten used to over time. It's not the quietest, but it does sound nice when I accelerate. Check out magnaflow as well, they sound ok and cheaper too.

WhiteSpeed3
12-17-2007, 07:47 AM
too bad you guys drive sedans.....the 5zigen i sold have everything you want. Very soft and quiet and just a little rumble....no drone at all....

yes pearlys exhaust would have been the 1 for u guys i never heard something so quiet

jspeed_3
12-18-2007, 03:03 AM
just get an OEM EXAUST FROM A SPEED3..

stevenlung
12-18-2007, 08:36 AM

agree, it sounds awesome

SilentJay
12-18-2007, 12:47 PM

Another +1 to the growing boat... I've been listening to some of the clips found online, but it seems like it'd drone on the highway. Comments?

Carlisle
12-18-2007, 06:20 PM
will an OEM Mazdaspeed3 fit my 07 sedan? anyonee know where i can get a used one?

thanls

WhiteSpeed3
12-18-2007, 06:57 PM
u need to extend it about 2 inchs

im gonna be selling mine the first week of january when my exhaust comes in but mcguyver has first dibs

doughboyr6
12-19-2007, 08:05 AM

agree

nicker
12-19-2007, 09:44 AM
any clips out there of a 5 Zigen? I was leaning towards Borla.

Ok am I missing somthing? Any aftermarket Speed exhaust that I have heard on a 3 was loud.

Kevin@nextmod
12-19-2007, 10:59 AM
this was on my car
http://youtube.com/watch?v=v3Hx7UyQYT0

SilentJay
12-31-2007, 02:58 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CiiSz7OfWMA
This doesn't sound too bad... Its nowhere near the G35/350Z rumble/refinement by any stretch of the imagination, but its got some low-toned growl. My only concern is that it'd be a little too much towards the fart can/cherry bomb type of noise level once its in the higher-RPM range.

blk304
01-06-2008, 08:12 AM
I have the vibrant catback on my 3 sounds good..Mazdas tend not to make a high pitch sound anyway, but i am happy with the pitch of the vibrant exhaust, also like the way the tip fits in the concave of the bumper(very easy install:).

Sean80
01-08-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm in the same boat as everyone here, I don't want an obnoxiously loud exhaust, something with a nice rumble. After watching/listening to many clips on the youtube I think I'm leaning towards the borla as well.

b
01-08-2008, 07:18 PM
I think Freddie has the Borla. After the vibrant warehouse sale Freddie, DJ C & myself idled our cars and then rev'd them a bit. He has the Borla and I have the vibrant. Almost couldn't tell them apart in person.

3GFX
01-08-2008, 07:35 PM
this was on my car
http://youtube.com/watch?v=v3Hx7UyQYT0

This was a nice exhaust. Not to loud at all (almost stock) but definitly had some rumble when you gave it.

1flycdnM3
01-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I kinda liked the CorkSport that SilentJay posted. it sounds really mean at low-end. The never-ending search for a quiet exhaust with a low-tone rumble for me will never end :)

having heard the borla in person though, i must say it's the best one ive heard so far. I dont mind the magnaflow either.

davidpetrozza
01-31-2008, 07:43 PM
Has anyone heard the Mazdaspeed Exhaust on a GT Hatch? Any feedback?

justblaze
01-31-2008, 09:04 PM
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AscZNH5IqLM
I have the MS CBE on my 07 sport gt and it sounds great; exactly like this one. Not sure if its too loud for ya. Hope the link works.:bang

whiteomega
02-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Has anyone heard the Mazdaspeed Exhaust on a GT Hatch? Any feedback?

The mazdaspeed accessory exhaust, or the mazdaspeed3?

the accessory exhaust is nice, but does have a bit of a drone to it at highway speeds.

Swerny
02-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Just a question.

Wouldn't running the MS3 exhaust on a regular 3 be way overkill since it's 3 inch?

I realize on a FI car that less backpressure is better, but on N/A, wouldn't you completely lose the low end?

Does Greddy make an exhaust for the 3? I couldn't find anything on their website when I was there the other day.

I have a Greddy SP2 on my MSP and have been extremely happy with it. It's quiet, looks good, is a quality piece, and performs much better than stock. Fits perfectly too.

It has a large canister muffler too so i don't sound like a ricer.

REZXPERT
02-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Just a question.

Wouldn't running the MS3 exhaust on a regular 3 be way overkill since it's 3 inch?

I realize on a FI car that less backpressure is better, but on N/A, wouldn't you completely lose the low end?

Does Greddy make an exhaust for the 3? I couldn't find anything on their website when I was there the other day.

I have a Greddy SP2 on my MSP and have been extremely happy with it. It's quiet, looks good, is a quality piece, and performs much better than stock. Fits perfectly too.

It has a large canister muffler too so i don't sound like a ricer.

i sold RallyPlaya my stock Speed exhaust & i know he's pretty happy with it, sound & performance. hit him up for feedback.

Nova 3 GT
02-13-2008, 01:28 PM
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AscZNH5IqLM
I have the MS CBE on my 07 sport gt and it sounds great; exactly like this one. Not sure if its too loud for ya. Hope the link works.:bang

The link does not work...:bang

SilentJay
02-13-2008, 02:48 PM
I thought Dentinger had the stock MSP exhaust on his Mz3... I wonder if we can get him to drive us each around a bit :P

Btw Nova, do you know what those chinese characters in your avatar mean? :P

RallyPlaya
02-13-2008, 03:12 PM
I Have a Mazda speed 3 stock exhaust and i love it. Got it off Rezexperts car thx a lot again. Jimmy at Street performance custom extended and welded it. It looks nice and sounds loud. Im Gonna take a video of it and put in youtube soon, but my feedback on the exhaust is it sounds really aggressive and powerful, its definitely one of the loudest exhausts you can put on a 3. It Makes me Smile every time i start the car sounds so badass =)

REZXPERT
02-13-2008, 03:21 PM
I Have a Mazda speed 3 stock exhaust and i love it. Jimmy at Street performance custom extended and welded it. It looks nice and sounds loud. Im Gonna take a video of it and put in youtube soon, but my feedback on the exhaust is it sounds really aggressive and powerful, its definitely one of the loudest exhausts you can put on a 3.

hey Sukoon, i want my exhaust back! :chuckle glad you like it.
see ya this weekend.

RallyPlaya
02-13-2008, 03:23 PM
hey Sukoon, i want my exhaust back! :chuckle glad you like it.
see ya this weekend.

Its too late to have it back lol its to long for you, Il See U Saturday man u can chk it our in person :)

SilentJay
02-13-2008, 04:19 PM
I Have a Mazda speed 3 stock exhaust and i love it. Got it off Rezexperts car thx a lot again. Jimmy at Street performance custom extended and welded it. It looks nice and sounds loud. Im Gonna take a video of it and put in youtube soon, but my feedback on the exhaust is it sounds really aggressive and powerful, its definitely one of the loudest exhausts you can put on a 3. It Makes me Smile every time i start the car sounds so badass =)

Hmm... loudest... That doesn't sound too promising for me. Probably would've worked for me about 7 years ago, but not now :P

REZXPERT
02-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Hmm... loudest... That doesn't sound too promising for me. Probably would've worked for me about 7 years ago, but not now :P

that's why resonators were invented .... for drivers in their 30's:chuckle
my MS3 = mid-life christmas:bana2

CP-E TBE for life.

Swerny
02-13-2008, 09:07 PM

agreed....but then again, I'm 34.

SilentJay
02-13-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm 25, but I feel like i'm 40 :P

davidpetrozza
02-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Has anyone in the forum put a stock MS3 Exhaust on their 2.3 Hatch? If so, how does it sound, and what modifications do I have to make to put it on my car?

RallyPlaya
02-13-2008, 10:39 PM
I Have it on my sedan sounds amazing, for me the exhaust had to be lengthened and welded cost 120$ @ Street Performance for Jimmy to Install. for the hatch i doubt u have to lengthen it just weld it and finito. Go to Street peformance to get it done

REZXPERT
02-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Has anyone in the forum put a stock MS3 Exhaust on their 2.3 Hatch? If so, how does it sound, and what modifications do I have to make to put it on my car?

just read the threads, esp this one:whoa

SilentJay
03-11-2008, 04:16 PM
I have an opportunity to get a slightly used MS3 stock exhaust for my sedan, and have been searching all over youtube for a viable sound-clip to check how loud the system is, but I can't find anything. Suggestions?

RallyPlaya
03-11-2008, 04:27 PM
I have an opportunity to get a slightly used MS3 stock exhaust for my sedan, and have been searching all over youtube for a viable sound-clip to check how loud the system is, but I can't find anything. Suggestions?

Come Chk out my car @ A meet and Go for the exhaust ul love it =)

Kevin@nextmod
03-11-2008, 04:42 PM
its definitely one of the loudest exhausts you can put on a 3.=)

Too bad you haven't heard my first exhaust i have on my car.

Niteshade
03-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Hey TW,

Do you remember which model of 5Zigen it was that you had and do you know who might carry them in the GTA?

Kevin@nextmod
03-11-2008, 05:13 PM
It was 5zigen pro racer
I think the best deal is BC auto in richmond hill www.bcautodesign.com
I think they sell them for $750-$780

Niteshade
03-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Ouch!!!:whoa

I like the sound but think the MS cat-back exhaust thru Flipdady will be the best bang for my buck (unless of course I can find a deal somewhere:chuckle)

p-o-g-i
03-27-2008, 10:44 AM
I just got my Vibrant cat back installed by Jimmy at Street Performance last night.
I did some research before hand and listened to it on other member's rides at meets.

For some reason, it seems alot louder on my car... ??????

I know that it takes a couple of weeks for the cat back to settle in, but I baught the cat back used.
It has a nice deep tone to it, but still a little on the loud side when i first accelerate from a stopped position.

Any comments????

Flagrum_3
03-27-2008, 10:55 AM
I just got my Vibrant cat back installed by Jimmy at Street Performance last night.
I did some research before hand and listened to it on other member's rides at meets.

For some reason, it seems alot louder on my car... ??????

I know that it takes a couple of weeks for the cat back to settle in, but I baught the cat back used.
It has a nice deep tone to it, but still a little on the loud side when i first accelerate from a stopped position.

Any comments????

Yeah the Vibrant will be pretty loud the first little while, just go easy on the throttle at lights and it won't be so bad.After awhile it settles down to a more respectable level but I sometimes miss that early stage sound, just sometimes:chuckle

_3

p-o-g-i
03-27-2008, 03:33 PM
So when you say " a while", what is your eterpretation of that... approx. 2 weeks? 1 month? a couple of months?
Just trying to debate if I should add a silencer or not...

Flagrum_3
03-27-2008, 05:48 PM
I can't remember exactly how long!, probably a month would be my best guess...I wouldn't bother with a silencer you won't get stopped for noise...I never did and I used to like running it hard from the lights just to hear it echo off the buildings :chuckle

_3

stas
03-28-2008, 01:17 AM
the more you gun it the quieter it will be in time :) basically you get used to it...
it gets to the point of you thinking its not loud but cops will still say its loud... i had a bad start of the week... should have taken allen road as planned lol

p-o-g-i
03-28-2008, 09:40 AM
I've had modified exhaust systems on all my previoius cars, but never a cat back. Normally it would be just an axle back or just the exhaust (muffler) itself.
Well, i guess only time will tell....

Thanks for the input guys :)

mogul_pro
03-28-2008, 02:55 PM
My Borla exaust should arrive mid to late next week (brand new). Looking forward to trying it on! :)

Niteshade
03-28-2008, 04:30 PM
What $ does the Borla run?

mogul_pro
03-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Paid $565.00 USD shipper to my P.O. Box in Niagara Falls New York. Purchased off E-Bay.

I live in St. Catharines Ontario, and its a quick 35 minute round trip to my P.O. Box which I pay $80 a year for, but save hundreds in shipping costs every year off various goodies.

I will post pics of my car once all the mods I have in the basement are installed on the car in traditional TM3 fashion. :)

Niteshade
03-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Sweet! Curious to hear how it compares to other makes as far as noise level goes.

mogul_pro
03-28-2008, 06:34 PM
I'd be happy to let anyone who wants to hear it in person when I get it.

In general, Borla makes some of the best exaust systems you can get IMO.

RX9
03-29-2008, 01:12 PM
yup, i love borla's sound, kind of euro style.

Soyabean
04-02-2008, 05:01 PM
I'd want to hear a Borla exhaust with a MS CAI. I heard a Vibrant with MS CAI. It'd be great to hear them both side by side. I think the BBQ would be the best time for this

mogul_pro
04-02-2008, 08:04 PM
I have an Injen CAI and a Borla that will be on soon and will be at the BBQ...

mogul_pro
04-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Well Borla was installed this morning!

I thought it would be loud after seeing the size differance in the 2.5" pipes VS oem, but its really not that loud AT ALL. Very impressed, I was expecting it to be at least twice as loud as it actually is. When I first installed my Injen Intake... I noticed more of a sound change than this exaust. *thumbs up* As far as performance, definately notice a change through the whole rpm range, especially in the mid.

All said and done, VERY happy with this exaust. Borla is a very well known and respected exaust company and now I can see why for myself!

Can take pics/sound clips, but I will be at the TM3 season opener BBQ anyways...

ghostdog
04-18-2008, 02:24 PM
does the borla delete the 2nd cat like vibrant?

mogul_pro
04-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Second cat?:loco

Everything that came off had a replacement part from Borla that came with the kit.

sunnyhomeboy
04-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Second cat?:loco

Everything that came off had a replacement part from Borla that came with the kit.

so want to see and hear ur exhaust man! so are u able to install headers along wif borla. dont tink ms cbe can do that.

cheers,
sunny.

mogul_pro
04-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Its a direct bolt on replacement part... absolutely no reason why you can't use aftermarket headers with it.

sunnyhomeboy
04-18-2008, 03:24 PM
but borla have headers made to fit mazda3 too?

mogul_pro
04-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Nope not that I know of... would need to go with a differant company for the headers IF I got them...

Don't think I will unless there is one that you don't have to relocate the sencor...