PDA

View Full Version : MS Rear Spoiler, hatch any cleaner?

Flagrum_3
01-10-2008, 05:01 AM
I am just curious how dirty the rear hatch gets with the redesigned rear spoiler on the MS3? ...just trying to compare with the regular 3.Noticing that the MS spoiler has air openings which would allow air to be directed downward over the hatch, I would think that it would keep the rear window/hatch cleaner......comments, observations!?

_3

Skarbro
01-10-2008, 05:24 AM
My guess is it does the opposite. Dirt and crap would blow down onto the hatch through the holes. Also, the back window would be more subject to rain.

But that's only a guess.

WhiteSpeed3
01-10-2008, 06:53 AM
it get dirty not sure if it more than the regular spoiler but for the most part it blocks rain from hitting the wing

Unoriginalusername
01-10-2008, 07:35 AM
i clean my car pretty regularly so unless it is raining or snowing, or you're driving down a dirt road it stays pretty clean

Wild Weasel
01-10-2008, 11:07 AM
It does allow snow to pile up there and then get stuck when you open the hatch.

WhiteSpeed3
01-10-2008, 11:35 AM

ya but it the same way with the regular 3 spoiler

Wild Weasel
01-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Ah. I have no experience with those. :chuckle

RX9
01-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Ah. I have no experience with those. :chuckle

+10 hehe.....:chuckle

WhiteSpeed3
01-10-2008, 02:59 PM
dont worry i think i'v had the most mazda3's on this bored lol bad luck

Flagrum_3
01-11-2008, 08:39 AM

I would think you'd clear any snow before opening the hatch, wouldn't that be the logical thing to do?:chuckle

But seriously here I'm talking about say its just rained abit and stopped, there's just enough water left on the roads so you get spray behind the vehicle.Now bearing on the design of the hatch unfortunitely, suction will pull some spray back on the hatch hense leaving a wet and dirty covering.....now I find if I drive thru a heavy rain the back seems to stay relatively clean, I would guess its because its constantly being washed off, but in the circumstance mentioned above it gets extremely dirty in no time...point is I would think that since a certain amount of air is being forced down by the fact that the MS spoiler has openings it would help keep the rear window and hatch just that much cleaner as opposed to the standard spoiler.....ah well anyways I guess unless we did a comparison we'll never really know!! It was just a curiousity of why Mazda had changed the design in the first place that brought this on.

_3

Wild Weasel
01-11-2008, 08:57 AM
I think Mazda most likely changed the design simply because it looks cool and differentiates it from the base models.

I just use the rear wiper. :)

As for clearing snow... the last big snowfall we had managed to mostly freeze to the car, so while I brushed off all the loose stuff, I wasn't about to go chipping the frozen bits off the paint. That's when I found the issue with opening it. It made me cringe to hear the crunching sounds of the ice breaking up in there. :(

b3GS
01-11-2008, 09:40 AM
spoiler-less FTW :chuckle

WhiteSpeed3
01-11-2008, 09:49 AM
i dont even open the hatch when theres snow i use the back seat or if i have to use the truck i fold the rear seats down

Gizzmo_jr
01-11-2008, 10:24 AM
I found out as well about the ice buildup in the crease this winter.
I think the spoiler on the Mz3 makes the wind swirl alittle more and aid with keeping the rear glass spray on the glass instead of spraying behind the car. Someone do some aero-dynamic testing and see the wind pattern.