PDA

View Full Version : My trade-in experience at Erin Mills Mazda

kyfe
01-24-2008, 05:05 PM
it's not very often I complain and I had expectations of being lowballed and even accounted for it in my numbers. So here's how this story goes.

I'm at Erin MIlls MZ getting them to diagnose my CEL, the service was fine and the vehicle was ready when we came in. However I did notice that they overfilled my powersterring fluid which they suggested flushing but that's a story for another time.

Afterwards I decide I want to trade my fully load 04 Mazda 3 GT hatch with 144,000kms (all highway) that has never been in an accident and is all stock, no rust! So the guy sits me down and I explain the gameplan which is every 4 years I will come back and buy a new car provided they give me a reasonable trade in value, this was my only stipulation. So the guy punches in all the data into his appraisal bid system and then goes with his manager to take a look at my car. Like any other miracle when he comes back he has heard from his wholesalers ( 5 minutes later) and they would be willing to give me $6000 for my car.

I look at the guy like he is retarded and given what he's just said I start to believe he just might be, I advise him the book value (which is always lover than market) is more than double that when everything is taken into consideration the book value after KM deduction and option addition is exactly $13675.00. I went in expecting them to say 10K and then negotiate to 12k this was the plan. so I questioned this guy as to why and the only response is the high Km's which I understand but that onyl depreciates the value of the vehicle by about $3000 (already worked into my $13675 number). I mean the leather seats in my car are still in as new condition as they were covered in the winter and treated in the summer.

anyway I look over the list of resale cars on their lot and point out that they have an 02 honda civic with 120kms and they're asking 10K. I question him about this and ask why they would offer me less for a superior car than a lesser car they are selling on their lot, I really don't get an answer but more of a blank start. the guy asked me if he could work it that so I'd be getting 10K for it (including the tax deduction) if i'd accept. I tell him flat out no, bear in mind that's not 10K but whatever + the tax savings bringing it to 10K.

$6k for a $30000 car purchased less than 4 years ago, if that's the kind of poor resale value I'll get I'm sticking to a honda or toyota. As much as I love my car I hate poor service even more and the fact that nobody helped us out given we are already mazda owners and were offering to purchase another one and we stated what we wanted to make this happen is really embarrassing

Me and the wife walked out and I don't think we'll be buying another Mazda.

rayzeroo
01-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with your trade-in value. I'm not trying to support how they treated you at Erin Mills but the past several months have been tough on the industry. With the strong Canadian doller, low US prices on vehicles, etc etc... Trade in values have taken a beating making it difficult to use Blackbook figures as a gauge. I'm sure the people who publish the Blackbook each month try their best to gather data to get an accurate forecast of what vehicles are worth. Unfortunately wholesalers are offering figures that are not pleasant to our ears perhaps due to low prices at the auction. Nothing against your car, but I'm sure the dealer would have offered more if they could, no one wants to lose a deal.

chinsterr
01-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Amen brotha !

This is probably my last Mazda for all the reasons stated above , but get this , I'm only 21! They will never see any money from me again. Resale is $@)(&-ing crap.

edit: It doesn't help that I financed the car (now fully paid off). I should have just leased ><

Jeff-TheBiz
01-24-2008, 06:33 PM

At Erin Mills.

RX9
01-24-2008, 08:05 PM
$6000 for a 04,140K mazda3 might be low, but wont be more than $8000. its trate in, after tax thats more. b/c mazda did the $4000ish rebate on Dec 2007 for all 07 model, thats the killer.

kyfe
01-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with your trade-in value. I'm not trying to support how they treated you at Erin Mills but the past several months have been tough on the industry. With the strong Canadian doller, low US prices on vehicles, etc etc... Trade in values have taken a beating making it difficult to use Blackbook figures as a gauge. I'm sure the people who publish the Blackbook each month try their best to gather data to get an accurate forecast of what vehicles are worth. Unfortunately wholesalers are offering figures that are not pleasant to our ears perhaps due to low prices at the auction. Nothing against your car, but I'm sure the dealer would have offered more if they could, no one wants to lose a deal.

no disrespect but I'm not buying that argument, how has the stong dollar hindered mazda canada? how has me now going to the USA to buy my next vehicle hindered you when I gave Mazda 1st dibbs on my business and Mazda's reps decided it would be better to lowball me and have me go to a competitor?

I work in the insurance industry, we use Redbook and I get a new one every quarter with updated prices I used the most recent available edition to use as my basis for calculation. I really don't think anyone got anything from their wholesalers at 6pm on a friday night within 5 minutes of putting it up.

I'm not stupid and this was not the 1st car I've owned I know how sales reps work and a few are very personal friends of mine; they agree with my thoughts when I told them about this. There is no way this guy heard from any wholesalers while I was sitting at his desk and he was out looking at my car outside and his blackberry was on his desk. I'm a very observant person and I know the games sales guys play. He talked to his boss and thought what could I offer that he'd accept maybe thinking the Km's was an issue for us and we needed to expidite the process or something.

Te way I look at it Mazda has nothing to lose in this kind of transaction, they create a loyal customer who spends $30K+ every 4 years on a new vehicle. that 7.5k per year they're making off me, the cost of the used car to them is a wash at worst. As I said earlier I had expecations and adjusted my price to factor in the lowball offers but I know the condition of my car and it is immaculate inside and out, especially for an 04,

yet $6K is all it's worth, to me as a consumer it shows me that the company does not stand behind it's product and as I said earlier there were lesser cars that were comparable on their lot selling for more than i was offered. As I've said earlier and many many times on this board I love my mazda, it still is the best car under 30k, but as many on here have stated the service in various capacities leaves little to be desired. Sadly this is my experience, I had expectations going in and finances fully secured to make the deal on the spot but I couldn't make it work.

I guess what really bugs me about the entire thing is the competition would offer me more than my own dealer maybe not much more but still my dealer shouldn't be the bottom feeder in this scenario. Either way I know how poor the resale is on these cars now and that's something every consumer will factor into their buying decision. knowing this I am less inclined to purchase another mazda period.

SonicBoy
01-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Have you tried dealing with another Mazda Dealership to see what can be offered. I'd say don't paint all Mazda dealerships bad on just the one bad experience.

If you don't like the car, that's one thing. I do agree with you that it is an insane low price they offered you.

billyfo
01-25-2008, 10:20 AM
$6000 for a 04,140K mazda3 might be low, but wont be more than $8000. its trate in, after tax thats more. b/c mazda did the $4000ish rebate on Dec 2007 for all 07 model, thats the killer.

that's why all car manufacturers in Canada told us, they won't lower the MSRP but give us incentive instead, cause they don't want to hurt used cars prices. We don't expect thousands of dollars lower than what they should offer, my returned lease car stated on contract had $13500 buy back value and I don't think I could fight the price to $10K cause of this if I bought the car back.

Swerny
01-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Just sell it privately.

$6000 is a definite low ball, you would obviously get way more from a private sale.

sauga_kid
01-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Kyfe, I whole heartedly agree with you in your stance. In my dealings with the sales reps at Erin Mills Mazda, I have nothing good to say about them. I was initially going to purchase my vehicle there simply out of proximity of the dealership, went in, discussed finances, test drove the vehicle and went home to review everything. I decided to go to the Dixie dealership and recieved a quote there and they came in well below the offer that Erin Mills was giving me. Out of courtesy I went back to Erin Mills and said due to the fact that you did all the leg work I'm willing to purchase from you right now if you can meet this price, but they refused and claimed that it was impossible that someone could give away a car at that cost and turned me away...low balled by the same company! Following this, the wife was in the market for a new vehicle and we were in the area and so she wanted to drop in to look at the CX-7. They lived up to their reputation and provided poor service once again, overpricing the car and treating us with a large lack of respect as serious buyers. All in all, very poor sales service from this dealership, but I would not let that be your only reason to not purchase another Mazda (as I know its not) because as we all know there are great sales reps such as Jeff at MoT who do look out for your interest. Good luck with the trade.

rayzeroo
01-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Your totally right Kyfe, our economy has not hindered Mazda Canada. When I was saying industry, I meant it in general and perhaps more on the wholesale side since that is where most trade ins are bought and sold. Most new car dealerships do not keep vehicles with over 100,000km unless they have a large used car department, so trade-ins get moved to used car specific dealers.

I believe the Redbook shows retail value of used vehicles. http://www.usedcarsontario.com/redbook.php

Where as Blackbook shows wholesale/trade-in value.
http://www.usedcarsontario.com/blackbook.php

No disrespect taken.

I was in Australia for a few months from August till November and I was shocked at how trade-in values have dropped since the summer. I recently traded in my own 2006 Mazda 3Sport GT Luxury Copper Red 5spd for my wifes new 2008 Mazda 3 GS sedan ELectric Blue Auto and I know I took a hit even though I work at a dealer.

Good luck in your next vehicle purchase whether it's a Mazda or whatever, just hope it ends on a better note for you.

Jeff-TheBiz
01-25-2008, 11:14 AM
So the guy punches in all the data into his appraisal bid system and then goes with his manager to take a look at my car. Like any other miracle when he comes back he has heard from his wholesalers ( 5 minutes later) and they would be willing to give me $6000 for my car.

I wil mention that this 'Bid System' is not always what it appears to be.

My previous employer used to use it, and it does work like an auction, with one small item of concern.

Way it works:

You enter all the data into a website. Yr, Model, colour, KMs etc
It sends all the info to a group of buyers by Blackberry.
They send a bid back to the dealership
The bid shows up on your screen.** 3.5 The Salesmanager gets the bid first an then inputs what he would like you to see.

I am not saying that I could get you any more for the car at my dealership, but I would suggest you sell it privately as I am sure that someone out there needs a car and is willing to pay $10,000 for yours.

Te way I look at it Mazda has nothing to lose in this kind of transaction, they create a loyal customer who spends $30K+ every 4 years on a new vehicle. that 7.5k per year they're making off me, the cost of the used car to them is a wash at worst. As I said earlier I had expecations and adjusted my price to factor in the lowball offers but I know the condition of my car and it is immaculate inside and out, especially for an 04,

If this is going to be your pattern, you really need to lease your cars from this point on, regardless of the make.

The 7.5K a year that you are losing would allow you a $625 a month payment. Even if you are going to put 35,000km per year on your car the lease payment shouldn't get close to that.

kyfe
01-25-2008, 11:20 AM
thanks for the feedback, to answer some questions. I was planning to sell privately as I know I will get more than I would from the dealer. I thought that buying another new car might have given them more incentive to deal with my trade. I know I can sell my car with ease for 12-14K but I thought if the dealer gives me 10-12 I can work with it and avoid an hassles and with 0% right now it made even more sense.

I'm not going to paint all dealers with the same brush I know who the good ones are thanks to this board, but I am going to hold Mazda canada responsible for their employee not doing a great job retaining my business on my next car purchase.

but live and learn I guess,

kyfe
01-25-2008, 11:22 AM
If this is going to be your pattern, you really need to lease your cars from this point on, regardless of the make.

The 7.5K a year that you are losing would allow you a $625 a month payment. Even if you are going to put 35,000km per year on your car the lease payment shouldn't get close to that.

I've also been considering this option on my next car, thanks for the feedback still looking into the tax implications of the transaction

Jeff-TheBiz
01-25-2008, 11:27 AM
I've also been considering this option on my next car, thanks for the feedback still looking into the tax implications of the transaction

If you own your own business, or are able to use car expenses as a tax reduction leasing is definately the way to go..

MZ3_GS
02-04-2008, 01:12 AM
Kyfe, I whole heartedly agree with you in your stance. In my dealings with the sales reps at Erin Mills Mazda, I have nothing good to say about them. I was initially going to purchase my vehicle there simply out of proximity of the dealership, went in, discussed finances, test drove the vehicle and went home to review everything. I decided to go to the Dixie dealership and recieved a quote there and they came in well below the offer that Erin Mills was giving me. Out of courtesy I went back to Erin Mills and said due to the fact that you did all the leg work I'm willing to purchase from you right now if you can meet this price, but they refused and claimed that it was impossible that someone could give away a car at that cost and turned me away...low balled by the same company! Following this, the wife was in the market for a new vehicle and we were in the area and so she wanted to drop in to look at the CX-7. They lived up to their reputation and provided poor service once again, overpricing the car and treating us with a large lack of respect as serious buyers. All in all, very poor sales service from this dealership, but I would not let that be your only reason to not purchase another Mazda (as I know its not) because as we all know there are great sales reps such as Jeff at MoT who do look out for your interest. Good luck with the trade.

And Little did you know both Dealerships have the same owner hahaa...

MZ3_GS
02-04-2008, 01:22 AM
it's not very often I complain and I had expectations of being lowballed and even accounted for it in my numbers. So here's how this story goes.

I'm at Erin MIlls MZ getting them to diagnose my CEL, the service was fine and the vehicle was ready when we came in. However I did notice that they overfilled my powersterring fluid which they suggested flushing but that's a story for another time.

Afterwards I decide I want to trade my fully load 04 Mazda 3 GT hatch with 144,000kms (all highway) that has never been in an accident and is all stock, no rust! So the guy sits me down and I explain the gameplan which is every 4 years I will come back and buy a new car provided they give me a reasonable trade in value, this was my only stipulation. So the guy punches in all the data into his appraisal bid system and then goes with his manager to take a look at my car. Like any other miracle when he comes back he has heard from his wholesalers ( 5 minutes later) and they would be willing to give me $6000 for my car.

I look at the guy like he is retarded and given what he's just said I start to believe he just might be, I advise him the book value (which is always lover than market) is more than double that when everything is taken into consideration the book value after KM deduction and option addition is exactly $13675.00. I went in expecting them to say 10K and then negotiate to 12k this was the plan. so I questioned this guy as to why and the only response is the high Km's which I understand but that onyl depreciates the value of the vehicle by about $3000 (already worked into my $13675 number). I mean the leather seats in my car are still in as new condition as they were covered in the winter and treated in the summer.

anyway I look over the list of resale cars on their lot and point out that they have an 02 honda civic with 120kms and they're asking 10K. I question him about this and ask why they would offer me less for a superior car than a lesser car they are selling on their lot, I really don't get an answer but more of a blank start. the guy asked me if he could work it that so I'd be getting 10K for it (including the tax deduction) if i'd accept. I tell him flat out no, bear in mind that's not 10K but whatever + the tax savings bringing it to 10K.

$6k for a $30000 car purchased less than 4 years ago, if that's the kind of poor resale value I'll get I'm sticking to a honda or toyota. As much as I love my car I hate poor service even more and the fact that nobody helped us out given we are already mazda owners and were offering to purchase another one and we stated what we wanted to make this happen is really embarrassing

Have a look in the Trader. The price of a 2004 3 Sport GT with that kind of mileage is $10000 or less. Thats retail so Trade you can expect max around $7500.

Although some one is selling their 2004 Titanium Grey 3 Sport GT for 12500.
I think thats high compared to whats out there.

sauga_kid
02-04-2008, 12:34 PM
And Little did you know both Dealerships have the same owner hahaa...

Oh I knew that, or I've heard that around. I know that the money was going to the same place ultimately but was trying to be nice and give the guy the sale/comission, guess he didn't want it :loco

50over
02-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Hello,

I need to reply to this post because I had a similar experience with one of the “other” brands…Toyota was mentioned as a posible safe bet for trade in value…WRONG !
I approached my local Toy dealer last year with my Mint (29000km), show room condition, never winter driven…’03 Celica TRD. The sales man did his walk around, and the look inside…Came back with an offer of $12900.. “I look at the guy like he is retarded” I walked out.. As mentioned "off brand" dealers were willing to give me more.. Ended up selling it private for $20000.

Anyways, I had a look at the Autotrader and spotted what I think is the
car mentioned in this post. 04 M3 with 145K for $12500. Nice car.
FYI. I just bought a used M3 last month (early Jan.). My 05 M3 GT hatch has 44000k, still under full warranty, loaded with leather and i-Pod adapter..for $16000.

Cars are a necessity not an investment (unless they are trailer queens).
If you are happy with the car you have, no gremlins ect... keep it, and runner
her to the ground. Make sure it still looks good..

Buying a car every four years is not good financial practise. Too much depreciation in the first few years. You have everything
to loose, the dealers/wholesalers have all to gain...

Cheers....

kyfe
02-11-2008, 02:07 PM
thanks for the feedback guys and 50 over thanks for the heads up. I thought i was being reasonable with my asking price, Nobody from Mazda has contacted me with regards to this experience. I thought there might have been a bit more concern over these types of matters considering what a bad rep this dealership is getting

IMHIP2
02-17-2008, 08:50 PM
There's someone on the Toronto Craiglist PostingID: 575988599 that may want your car just so you don't think I'm flaming you with the rest of my post.

Personally I think you are expecting alot with the high milage. Your car was probably worth 50% or less of its value when it was 3 years old - look at the residuals on a lease with 25K. Problem with Cdn used cars now is they have taken a large hit with the drop in the dollar because now brokers, dealers and the average Joe can go to the states and buy US cars and import them far cheaper. You are now competing with the guy in Buffalo who paid less than you did 4 years ago.

Mazda won't care what Erin Mills does with used car department unless they overpay for a car, and even then I bet its the GM who calls the shots. $10000 including the tax seems like a good deal.

Also, when you purchase a new car, the dealer is maybe making $1000 on the new car not 7.5K a year as you suggest. You forgot to remove the cost to the dealer. So in your case, the dealer is making less than $250 a year when you factor in the time value of money.

Malcolm991
02-18-2008, 08:51 AM
I would try to sell your car private, I have had a few bad run ins with Erin Mills mazda as well. I live in Mississauga and I would only go to Brampton Mazda. As for the guy from Avanti complaining about the high canadian dollar, why are the prices here are still higher than in the U.S?

zeroburn
02-24-2008, 09:23 PM
I will never purchase a car from Erin Mills Mazda. I will use the service department. The manager is great; however the girl behind the desk I find to be very rude and mis leading...

Flagrum_3
02-25-2008, 05:56 AM
Hello,

I need to reply to this post because I had a similar experience with one of the “other” brands…Toyota was mentioned as a posible safe bet for trade in value…WRONG !
I approached my local Toy dealer last year with my Mint (29000km), show room condition, never winter driven…’03 Celica TRD. The sales man did his walk around, and the look inside…Came back with an offer of $12900.. “I look at the guy like he is retarded” I walked out.. As mentioned "off brand" dealers were willing to give me more.. Ended up selling it private for $20000.

Anyways, I had a look at the Autotrader and spotted what I think is the
car mentioned in this post. 04 M3 with 145K for $12500. Nice car.
FYI. I just bought a used M3 last month (early Jan.). My 05 M3 GT hatch has 44000k, still under full warranty, loaded with leather and i-Pod adapter..for $16000.

Cars are a necessity not an investment (unless they are trailer queens).
If you are happy with the car you have, no gremlins ect... keep it, and runner
her to the ground. Make sure it still looks good..

Buying a car every four years is not good financial practise. Too much depreciation in the first few years. You have everything
to loose, the dealers/wholesalers have all to gain...

Cheers....

+1, ....definitely the most logical post here...Kyfe, you'd be better off keeping the car another 4 years, seriously, it would most definitely pay for itself by then as the depreciation will be much less for the next 4 years as compared to the last and if the car is running good, why not? ...then think about leasing, but only if its tax deductible.Otherwise its a waste of money.

_3

mogul_pro
02-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Just checked autotrader.ca .... 2004 mazda3's with 140,000km are selling for 8 or 9 k.. and thats for the sport model...

Resale on this car is horible. I plan to give my car to the wife and buy a new one for myself (not a mazda) when it comes time. Once you keep the car for as long as you have, your better off keeping it for another 2 or 3 years in my opinion because all the depreciation has already happened... 3 more years you can still sell it for 4 grand... only losing out on 4 grand vs 25 grand on the first 4 years lol..

So if they are going for 8-9 on the market.. not suprised they tossed 6k as the offer...

Unfortunate... not there are so many mazda3 out there... add that into the poor mazda resale value and the status of canada's car industry status.. and it works out to be 'reasonable'.... even though we all wish our cars were worth more than they are... especially those of us that purchased brand spankin new..

mogul_pro
02-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Sure you find the odd one with that any click on trader for 12.. but the same stuff is also listed @ 8-9... the guys asked 12.. simply wont get it.

REZXPERT
02-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Just checked autotrader.ca .... 2004 mazda3's with 140,000km are selling for 8 or 9 k.. and thats for the sport model...

Resale on this car is horible. I plan to give my car to the wife and buy a new one for myself (not a mazda) when it comes time. Once you keep the car for as long as you have, your better off keeping it for another 2 or 3 years in my opinion because all the depreciation has already happened... 3 more years you can still sell it for 4 grand... only losing out on 4 grand vs 25 grand on the first 4 years lol..

So if they are going for 8-9 on the market.. not suprised they tossed 6k as the offer...

Unfortunate... not there are so many mazda3 out there... add that into the poor mazda resale value and the status of canada's car industry status.. and it works out to be 'reasonable'.... even though we all wish our cars were worth more than they are... especially those of us that purchased brand spankin new..

did you think about this before attempting to trade your car.... or writing your post?

expecting "fair value" when selling a crazy high-mileage car to a dealership in this day & age is like taking your sentimental jewellry to Cash Converters.

mogul_pro
02-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Its not just the mazda3... speed3... speed6.. mazda6.. rx8... all mazda plumets in price.. the more u pay for one the more depreciation it seems but dont get me wrong i like the car... u jsut have to decide when u buy how long u will keep it and factor depreciation cost into your decision on what car to buy...

Road Cone
03-05-2008, 02:17 AM
Haha, You guys kill me!

These cars are "listed" on the Trader for $8-9,000.
That's the asking price, not necessarily the selling price.
And if it was such a great low price the car would have already been sold at $8,000.

Therefore since the "asking" price is $8-9,000, they might even take lower after negotiating, so let's say $7,500.

Why would the Mazda dealer in question be so out of line to offer slightly less?
The dealer still needs to recondition this car before it can be sold.
A M3 with 140,000 is likely going to require new brakes, new tire and who knows what else before it can be safetied and e-tested to be sold.
Most used car buyers are hesitant to buy anything with over 98,000 kms.

If you are planning to put over 46,000 kms on a car per year, make sure you're ready for some major depreciation, regardless of the manufacturer and brand.

BTW Mazda has one of the best residuals in the industry.
Just be glad it wasn't a North American car or one from Kia/Hyundai.
Bwahahahaha, they have retarded residuals!

kyfe
03-05-2008, 10:31 AM
BTW Mazda has one of the best residuals in the industry.
Just be glad it wasn't a North American car or one from Kia/Hyundai.
Bwahahahaha, they have retarded residuals!

mazda's actually have one of the worst residuals, trust me I know.

it's acutally on par with the NA cars