PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs?

hood
01-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Wat are these???

lol jks, i saw these on the internet and wondered if anyone had these on there cars and how much of a difference they make?
http://www.pulstarplug.com/howtheywork.html

thanks,
Craig

dentinger
01-25-2008, 11:03 AM
hmm..interesting
i looks like they build up a charge first, then fire.

hood
01-27-2008, 02:12 PM
anyone else heard of them or interested in buying them?

3GFX
01-27-2008, 09:39 PM
I've seen their advertisement is Modified Mag. I really wonder if it works. The fact that they have so much data and demonstration is impressive. But I think that the way it works means it would have a retarted ignitition (timing wise) compared to the regular plug which would be no benifit.

doughboyr6
02-09-2008, 04:43 PM
check this thread....there's a GB for them and there's a member who posted their very own review.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=101671.0

Skarbro
02-09-2008, 10:12 PM
I'll stick to the OEM plugs.

3GFX
02-10-2008, 06:54 PM
From that guy's butt Dyno those plugs seem to do the trick. I'm probably gonna have to do my plugs in a year or so, and maybe I'll look into these. Could be a good investment. It would be nice to see some dyno numbers though.

A lot of people are on order, they are actually quite the good price right now.

icecubetray
02-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Its a bunch of horse crap......all hype and no legit data.

If they were for real they would have some actual dynos.

Even in the online blurb its all subjective information.....no factual or proven data.

Its trying to say that a stock plug is 50W....and theirs is 1 million watts. This in itself tells you this is a load of crap. The simple equation for Power is P=VI = 1,000,000 = 12I

I(current) provided by your battery to power this plug would be 83,333Amps.......thats more than enough current to melt any wire in your car or vapourize it....lol.....I am sure most hydro lines are carrying that much current :)

Those numbers tell you right there that its a load of crap as the car can't even generate 1,000,000 watts or anything even remotely close to it.......save your money.

Skarbro
02-11-2008, 08:05 AM

Even in the online blurb its all subjective information.....no factual or proven data.

Its trying to say that a stock plug is 50W....and theirs is 1 million watts. This in itself tells you this is a load of crap. The simple equation for Power is P=VI = 1,000,000 = 12I

I(current) provided by your battery to power this plug would be 83,333Amps.......thats more than enough current to melt any wire in your car or vapourize it....lol.....I am sure most hydro lines are carrying that much current :)

Those numbers tell you right there that its a load of crap as the car can't even generate 1,000,000 watts or anything even remotely close to it.......save your money.
:werd
This in a nutshell is my same opinion. I've been down this road before where companies promise the sun and moon from some new way of making a spark plug. Someone eventually dynos it for real and finds out it does nothing. The butt-dyno can be pretty deceiving. It's been my experience that on NA cars, the stock plugs work best - for just about every newer car model out there.

Skarbro
02-11-2008, 08:08 AM
A little off topic, but in their FAQ section it says,

Q: Will the installation of Pulstar™ affect the warranty on my car?
A: No. The 1975 Magnuson Moss Act prevents a manufacturer from voiding a warranty based on a customer's selection of parts that the dealer does not offer.
Which is wrong and possibly a lie. If the dealer determines that damage to the engine was caused by these spark plugs, then you can damn well expect them to deny your warranty claim. This is the same in the U.S.

I don't trust these people.

garboui
02-11-2008, 08:24 AM

i have to slightly disagree with this statment, since any ignition part works from an inductive discharge, the discharge reate is a decaying exponential so that when the inductor in the plugs release their energy there will be an extremly huge discharge voltage due to the high (open gap) resistance of the electrode and ground strap. this this release in voltage then bridges the gap as an arc. this will in essence give you a hotter spark but its probably only ~2/3rd's of the energy from your coil packs, just dissipated in less time. as for the other 1/3rd its probably not enough to maintain any arc and dissipated as heat.

there may be some details that i am overlooking as i typing in a bit of a hurry but standard power formulas become pretty ambigous in transient ccts.

that being said, im still on the fence about these plugs and their validity in the websites claims.

Cosmo77
02-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Amen to you guys!

Having worked on Mazda's for over 10 years....I have always found that the stock plug ALWAYS seems to run better than so called 'upgraded plugs"

Sounds like these plugs offer a little too much to me...but htats just my opinion. Plus don;t the Mazda 3 plugs last like 120,000km's? Seems like a pretty good deal considering just 5 years ago we were changing Protege plugs every 48,000 km's

Don;t get me wrong, maybe those plugs are AWSOME, but I wouldn;t go for it....anyone got a Fuel Genie?

doughboyr6
02-11-2008, 07:47 PM
did anyone see this

http://www.sparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp?kw=SRT%2D4+Dyno+Results&mfid=0&KID=3095

3GFX
02-11-2008, 08:03 PM
According to that site, they give a slight powergain. I'm actually impressed!

thraxxx
02-12-2008, 03:39 PM
I have learnt my lesson with aftermarket plugs. Unless I am running an aftermarket igntion setup then the plugs that the car came equipped with are more then enough. There is a reason why Mazda went with the plugs that are in there...whatever brand they may be.

In my TransAm I always run AC Delco. I tried those platinum 4+ plugs and wow..what a waste of money. Seriously didn't notice anything except for 80 bux missing out of my bank account.

OnkelHans
02-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Amen to you guys!

Having worked on Mazda's for over 10 years....I have always found that the stock plug ALWAYS seems to run better than so called 'upgraded plugs"

Sounds like these plugs offer a little too much to me...but htats just my opinion. Plus don;t the Mazda 3 plugs last like 120,000km's? Seems like a pretty good deal considering just 5 years ago we were changing Protege plugs every 48,000 km's

Don;t get me wrong, maybe those plugs are AWSOME, but I wouldn;t go for it....anyone got a Fuel Genie?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I saw the fuel genie for sale at MoT.

REZXPERT
02-12-2008, 04:54 PM
my experience w/ aftermarket spark plugs can be summed up w/ one word: Splitfire. my Prelude never ran the same after that. kind of a blessing though, that shitbox.

mkfc
03-18-2008, 10:44 PM
i was a part of that pulse plug group buy, when i install them i'll post here with any noticeable change in power/fuel economy