PDA

View Full Version : Turbosmart BOV vs Forge BVP

kid_icarus
02-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Can anyone elaborate on the pros/cons of each and why and if they chose one over the other?

I will be taking the turbosmart bov off one of our fellow members, but noticed that many of you have the forge BVP.

Other than the 'technical' differenes, can you guys give me some feedback as to why you guys might choose one over the other as it pertains specifically to the mazdaspeed 3?

aka, performance reviews? ratings? drawbacks? issues?

Just want to get more knowledge.
I see you guys talk about one or the other, but never a straight up comparison.

Thanks guys!

REZXPERT
02-12-2008, 09:44 AM
http://www.turbosmart.com.au/index.php?id=181 ....... nice feedback board

Forge Cons:
Flutters under extreme part throttle
If you're into the high pitched whistling, this is not the unit for you.
Swapping springs is fun...NOT - your poor thumbs

WhiteSpeed3
02-12-2008, 11:44 AM
i say go with the turbo xs 1

CanadaGTO
02-12-2008, 12:01 PM
I've had customers buy both. Seems to be a really personal decision, with the sound being key to which you would like.

Getting stock of both in about a month or so, let me know if you'd like either.

kid_icarus
02-12-2008, 12:17 PM
I've had customers buy both. Seems to be a really personal decision, with the sound being key to which you would like.

Getting stock of both in about a month or so, let me know if you'd like either.

thanks patrique.

i'm actually taking them off rezexpert's hands hehe....
but just wanted to know what i'd be missing out on if i went with one over the other...

any opinions or ideas on if these bov's can cause potential damage to one's turbo or engine?

RX9
02-12-2008, 12:53 PM
i wanted to buy a HKS SSQV (forget the long name), this one sounded best. but ppl said that wont do any good to our car b/c its vent to air. i end up stay with stock for now.

REZXPERT
02-12-2008, 01:55 PM
the Turbosmart Dual Port can be adjusted three ways: recirc, VTA or hybrid (which i'm currently running). this is why i chose Turbosmart over the other brands. definitely helps improve turbo spool efficiency from my experience. noticed it right off the hop.

thanks Pat @CTA for the initial hook-up. Kid Icarus, aka Phil, you will enjoy it!

Unoriginalusername
02-12-2008, 04:35 PM
pat got me a black forge before i put the car away for storge, would recommend pat for whichever one you decide on.

the sound clips of the forge aren't as nice sounding imo as others but it is cheaper

yellowmp5
02-12-2008, 07:30 PM
I like the TurboSmart BOV....

do get a little flutterin' @ low rpm (even though didn't boost) <-- is this normal?
also get backfire pop from 1-2 and 2-3 occasionally.....not frequently~

Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-S3yHdT5UQ)

kid_icarus
02-13-2008, 09:01 AM
I like the TurboSmart BOV....

do get a little flutterin' @ low rpm (even though didn't boost) <-- is this normal?
also get backfire pop from 1-2 and 2-3 occasionally.....not frequently~

Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-S3yHdT5UQ)

is it not possible to adjust the pressure aka the softer/harder thing to make it go away?

Garu
02-13-2008, 09:07 AM
It's really personal preference of the sound when it comes to the BOV/BPV. I sold mine to yellowmp5, I'm glad he liked it.
I liked better when running TS BOV in full BPV mode. It gave little 'oomph' in every recirc. However I sold it because it was not my sound.
I currently have Forge BPV, it makes me laugh every recirc because of 'tiiiing' sound. I think I will be sticking with Forge for awhile.

As for the backfiring, once you get rid of stock one you will get backfire no matter which bpv/bov.

yellowmp5, I'm surprised you still have that fluttering. You sure checked all connection for their seals?

REZXPERT
02-13-2008, 09:17 AM
backfiring doesn't happen often.. maybe 2/10 shifts, 2nd-3rd on my car.
yeah, it can adjusted/tuned as well which will reduce any backfiring, but probably not eliminate it all altogether. Never had fluttering but that's probably a simple BOV tuning issue.

i don't mind the occasional backfire .....if the CP-E TBE doesn't get their attention.

yellowmp5
02-14-2008, 07:56 PM
backfiring doesn't happen often.. maybe 2/10 shifts, 2nd-3rd on my car.
yeah, it can adjusted/tuned as well which will reduce any backfiring, but probably not eliminate it all altogether. Never had fluttering but that's probably a simple BOV tuning issue.

i don't mind the occasional backfire .....if the CP-E TBE doesn't get their attention.

totally agreed....that is wat i'm goin' thru...

REZXPERT
02-15-2008, 03:16 PM
totally agreed....that is wat i'm goin' thru...

you drive a 6 or a 3? Speed, non, modded..? if you're referring to backfiring, i might know what the problem is...

Garu
02-15-2008, 05:35 PM
He drives a Speed 6. I'm not sure about his mods.

So what do you know?

REZXPERT
02-15-2008, 06:45 PM
He drives a Speed 6. I'm not sure about his mods.

So what do you know?

i've experienced fuel cut & backfiring and couldn't get a straight answer on several mazda forums. so called 'experts' & know-it-alls pointed to everything from CAI, to TBE, air-fuel mixtures, fuel pump, intake manifold, BOV..... none of the above. one member - who will remain unnamed - said he'd fix it for $250, claiming it would take 5hrs of work.

so what i know is: with a little research, ˝hr labour & an adjustment, fuel cut & backfiring completely gone now. i'm bringing this forward to Mazda to confirm and check on a few more resources before i post the solution thread. PM me if you're backfiring & fuel cuts are bad.

yellowmp5
02-25-2008, 12:00 PM
i've experienced fuel cut & backfiring and couldn't get a straight answer on several mazda forums. so called 'experts' & know-it-alls pointed to everything from CAI, to TBE, air-fuel mixtures, fuel pump, intake manifold, BOV..... none of the above. one member - who will remain unnamed - said he'd fix it for $250, claiming it would take 5hrs of work.

so what i know is: with a little research, ˝hr labour & an adjustment, fuel cut & backfiring completely gone now. i'm bringing this forward to Mazda to confirm and check on a few more resources before i post the solution thread. PM me if you're backfiring & fuel cuts are bad.

Its a MS6.....everythin' is OEM except BOV and CAI...

but have not experienced fuel cut yet~