PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading stock HIDs... hmmmmm

REZXPERT
02-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Lame topic, i know, but it's been dry here of late (no thanks to this shitty weather). Has anyone changed their stock Xenon bulbs .... not from burn out, just to change the colour? I know it's probably costly but who'd mod if it came down to cost, right?

Nicest stock HIDs IMO: Nissan Maxima, Lotus Elise. you?

Unoriginalusername
02-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Lots have, they look great.... i have been debating for some time between 3k (yellow) or more of a blue like 6k. bulbs are only like $135 or something like that if i remember correctly, ssg did a GB last year. Devin sells them all the time too

my low beams are yellow... yellow hids would look good on black imo
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/cndxrs/ms3front01_2_3_tonemapped.jpg

REZXPERT
02-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Lots have, they look great.... i have been debating for some time between 3k (yellow) or more of a blue like 6k. bulbs are only like $135 or something like that if i remember correctly, ssg did a GB last year. Devin sells them all the time too

my low beams are yellow... yellow hids would look good on black imo
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/cndxrs/ms3front01_2_3_tonemapped.jpg

man, that's sweet looking... nice stuff. i think 3K might run you into problems though for headlamps..... too bright from what i recall.

tell you what, if you do 3K yellow, i'll do the blues. don't wanna bite your styles ....or clash w/ my 6K HID fogs.

Unoriginalusername
02-13-2008, 04:22 PM
man, that's sweet looking... nice stuff. i think 3K might run you into problems though for headlamps..... too bright from what i recall.

tell you what, if you do 3K yellow, i'll do the blues. don't wanna bite your styles or don't wanna clash w/ my 6K HID fogs.

The yellow is actually easier on the eyes/duller but i think it will stand out too much which is why i have been hesitant and i don't want to have to change the fogs too lol

REZXPERT
02-13-2008, 04:34 PM
The yellow is actually easier on the eyes/duller but i think it will stand out too much which is why i have been hesitant and i don't want to have to change the fogs too lol

really? that's the last time i ask those vendors @ Pacific Mall for their advice. gotta keep it sleeper, man. hey, i like the sounds of that:
'Keep it Sleeper' ! CP-E TBE, Teins for sale... jk

REZXPERT
02-13-2008, 04:40 PM
can anyone vouch for Prolumen? quality, durability? $160/pair, Devin @ Xenon.

Unoriginalusername
02-13-2008, 04:45 PM
can anyone vouch for Prolumen? quality, durability? $160/pair, Devin @ Xenon.

i've heard they are the best or amoung the better brands

REZXPERT
02-13-2008, 04:50 PM
off topic, here's a pet peeve: my manager walks over to my desk and chats me up while i'm replying to a thread here. is edicate a thing of the past??

Unoriginalusername
02-13-2008, 05:27 PM
off topic, here's a pet peeve: my manager walks over to my desk and chats me up while i'm replying to a thread here. is edicate a thing of the past??

where are some peoples manners :chuckle

Operator
02-14-2008, 09:35 AM
About the only mod I'd do to the stock HID's (unless you're doing a full retro) is swapping the lens out for an Evo8 lens. Are you thinking of a change just for show?

royroy
02-14-2008, 10:11 AM
About the only mod I'd do to the stock HID's (unless you're doing a full retro) is swapping the lens out for an Evo8 lens. Are you thinking of a change just for show?
does the EVO 8 use the same lens as TSX??? but i heard is a pain in the ass to do it.. most importantly.. i dun wanna take my headlight apart anymore =/

REZXPERT
02-14-2008, 10:30 AM

yeah, i'm just interested in changing the colour. i'd like more of a blue tint to the HID headlamps (like a 6k). IF it's too much of a pain in the ass,
i'm leaving the stocks alone till they burn out.

Nextmod
02-14-2008, 11:09 AM
I have prolumen instock for $135 for you guys, at a special price

REZXPERT
02-14-2008, 12:00 PM

sounds good. mark me down for a set of 6Ks.. but let me know of the other colour options too - a link would be nice:) PM me w/ payment & delivery details. thanks.

Operator
02-14-2008, 09:25 PM
yeah, i'm just interested in changing the colour. i'd like more of a blue tint to the HID headlamps (like a 6k). IF it's too much of a pain in the ass,
i'm leaving the stocks alone till they burn out.

Then you just need d2s replacement bulbs. Which should cost you about $50.

Nextmod
02-14-2008, 11:04 PM
sounds good. mark me down for a set of 6Ks.. but let me know of the other colour options too - a link would be nice:) PM me w/ payment & delivery details. thanks.

Yup, I think i have a pair of 6K Prolumen instock

PM me if you are interested

Pick up in Markham.

MPS
02-14-2008, 11:08 PM
D2S 3000k ?

JashiK
02-15-2008, 01:18 AM

What kind of Warranty?

monty0501
02-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Hey guys, I have a question...
I currently have a set of ENON HIDs that I had on my last 3 GT.
Now that I have the MS3, can I just replace my MS3 HID bulbs with the bulbs from the ENON HIDs? Is that even possible? Does the MS3 have everything else already in (ballast etc.) or do I need to use the entire HID kit that I bought.

Gizzmo_jr
02-16-2008, 01:28 PM
The ENON kit wasn't a D2S bulb system, which is what the speed3 housing/bulb is. So you can't, unless you put your old GT light housing in the car.

monty0501
02-17-2008, 12:09 PM
The ENON kit wasn't a D2S bulb system, which is what the speed3 housing/bulb is. So you can't, unless you put your old GT light housing in the car.

Got it, thanks for the info.
I thought I found a loop hole.

monty0501
02-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Then you just need d2s replacement bulbs. Which should cost you about $50.

Is it difficult to replace the bulbs for HIDs?
I wouldnt mind having the same look as my fogs - 6K

Unoriginalusername
02-17-2008, 07:22 PM
i think the bumper has to come off

monty0501
02-17-2008, 08:18 PM
i think the bumper has to come off

Sorry I meant I want to change the color of my headlights.
My foglights are already 6K.
How much effort is it to replace HID bulbs (to make stock headlights 6K)? Is it same amount of work as replacing regular bulbs?
Thanks.
Monty

RX9
02-17-2008, 09:39 PM
i changed the fog too, take me 15min last time when doing rust protection(car has been jak up). but the lowbean seems hard, dont even know where to start.

royroy
02-17-2008, 09:56 PM
low beam.. u need to take out the bumper.. n then take out the headlight...

Operator
02-18-2008, 01:13 AM
Sorry I meant I want to change the color of my headlights.
My foglights are already 6K.
How much effort is it to replace HID bulbs (to make stock headlights 6K)? Is it same amount of work as replacing regular bulbs?
Thanks.
Monty

I've yet to take off my bumper to simply change out bulbs. And as stated all you'll need is d2s 6000k bulbs. Do note that your output will decrease going from 4000k to 6000k.

Operator
02-18-2008, 01:17 AM
does the EVO 8 use the same lens as TSX??? but i heard is a pain in the ass to do it.. most importantly.. i dun wanna take my headlight apart anymore =/

No, but it's clearer than the OEM HID lense. And no it isn't alot of fun, but it's more tideous than anything else. And yes to change the lense you'll have to open you headlight again.