PDA

View Full Version : BIG Turbo Upgrade Checklist

REZXPERT
02-25-2008, 04:17 PM
goal: 350-400whp. unassuming black, still road-friendly. FWD killer.

so in the event i fall on some $$ in the next year (assuming i keep my ride longer term), my final:chuckle dream mod would be a big turbo (unsure of brand but i know Pat @CTA is eyeballing a kit or two). at the very latest - $$ permitting - i'll do this in 2010. rather than celebrate a wedding anniversary, i'll be celebrating my warranty expiration.

despite my ambitious talk, i'm not the most mechanically-inclined MPSer on TM3. so this is what i have so far in terms of necessary stock internal upgrades, assuming it's not included in the big turbo kit:

• upgrade TMIC to FMIC
• upgrade ECU:bana2
• upgrade fuel pump
• ........ ??

head porting, replace injectors??

And if it blows, it blows...... gotta go out in style:gone

Unoriginalusername
02-25-2008, 04:36 PM
atp has a kit, and cpe might eventually have a new bigger turbo

REZXPERT
02-25-2008, 04:40 PM
what about Garrett? everyone seems to big them up.

REZXPERT
02-25-2008, 04:49 PM
atp has a kit, and cpe might eventually have a new bigger turbo

..are you sure you're not referring to their big turbo in R&D now?
the MZR hybrid? i think it's only being developed for the Speed6 ...
stupid if you asked me seeing how Speed6 is being discontinued, at least for the next few years

WhiteSpeed3
02-25-2008, 04:58 PM
ya i think ATP is the only one with a kit but Turbo XS is on its way :)

alhope34
02-25-2008, 06:52 PM
http://www.turbotechracing.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=6212&idproduct=5023

Those 8.8:1 pistons should let you up the boost quite a bit. Dare I say even as far as 24-26psi?

WhiteSpeed3
02-25-2008, 07:06 PM
nice find they also got a brembo big brake kit on that site http://www.turbotechracing.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=6207&idproduct=5024 $1,494.99 for just the fronts is way out of my price range

SpeedBaby
02-25-2008, 09:01 PM
knowing how our engines tend to crack, i would seriously consider a fortified block....but that's only if you want to keep your car running for a bit. if your goal is to go out in style, then you'll be set with what u listed above

mkfc
04-22-2008, 11:24 PM
our engines crack???

b
04-23-2008, 12:39 AM
our engines crack???

A few of us have had engines replaced... myself included. I am your neighbor from burlington.

alhope34
04-23-2008, 08:49 AM
A few of us have had engines replaced... myself included. I am your neighbor from burlington.

The non-turbo 2.3 and the turbo 2.3 blocks are completely different. I have never heard of a case of an MS6 or MS3 block cracking.

mkfc
04-23-2008, 09:51 AM
thats a relief. where would you ever get a reinforced block anyways?

Gizzmo_jr
04-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Protege Garage
Linky (http://siteground207.com/~protegeg/product_info.php?cPath=281_160_366&products_id=1208)

edit: Fully built engine with STOCK block

CanadaGTO
04-23-2008, 12:00 PM
That's not a reinforced block. It's a new stock block/crankshaft/bolts and bearings with upgraded forged pistons and rods.

Gizzmo_jr
04-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Oops my bad, your right. I'll edit that post so I don't give out bad info. I thought it was a stronger block but its just a built block.

mkfc
04-23-2008, 12:57 PM
wow thats hardcore... definitely interested in the rods they have on there

Fobio
04-23-2008, 01:53 PM
$5000 for a brand new upgraded engine doesn't sound so bad...pls enlighten me if I'm naive.

mkfc
04-23-2008, 02:28 PM
nope. that sounds like a pretty good deal to me. seen a used speed6 motor off of car part.com for 3800. so add all the forged stuff thats in there i think thats aproaching the same price for something with a lot more heavy duty internals

PlatMS6
04-23-2008, 05:04 PM
I think your efforts will be futile...

400whp will not be reliable <= written guarantee right there ;)
-Even if you beef up the internals a bit its still gonna pop... they just love doing that
-Axles/Drivetrain parts will give up on your abuse
-Transmission will eat self
-Your weekends will become "maintenance" days (you will lose all of your friends because they will find out that you always scam them into comming over just to fix your broken POS :p )
-You will realise that steering is pointless when you lean on the loud pedal
...etc

In the end you will be pissed that you spent so much money for the end result.

Sell the car and buy something else...

RX9
04-23-2008, 06:19 PM
^^^agree. even 300whp will be far enought for FF car, IMO.

mkfc
04-23-2008, 07:10 PM
lol, i'm totally with plat with that one

cant get all that power to the wheels, and if you do, you're going to have some expensive tire bills to pay

Unoriginalusername
04-23-2008, 08:55 PM
I think your efforts will be futile...

400whp will not be reliable <= written guarantee right there ;)
-Even if you beef up the internals a bit its still gonna pop... they just love doing that
-Axles/Drivetrain parts will give up on your abuse
-Transmission will eat self
-Your weekends will become "maintenance" days (you will lose all of your friends because they will find out that you always scam them into comming over just to fix your broken POS :p )
-You will realise that steering is pointless when you lean on the loud pedal
...etc

In the end you will be pissed that you spent so much money for the end result.

Sell the car and buy something else...

i haven't seen a ms3 drivetrain hit the ground yet, there is a guy on the us forum but is from london with a standback, meth, tbe, intake, tmic with 350whp for the past year, and another with a big turbo upgrade and has hit a few thousand miles without a glitch also at 350whp.

I suppose things must get alot worse past the 350 mark, but i think you can have 325-350 as a reliable DD and still grip and go just fine.

Fobio
04-23-2008, 09:26 PM

cant get all that power to the wheels, and if you do, you're going to have some expensive tire bills to pay

wheelie bars my friend... ;-)

anyway, I wouldn't want a 400WHP FWD DD...cuz I'd rather spend that money on a decent 300WHP RWD car.

now, if I have the space for a trailer and I needed a queen...

still no...

PlatMS6
04-23-2008, 11:15 PM

IF* you do get all of the power to the ground, then the trans/axles/other drivetrain parts will definately leave this world quickly... most ppl with that power stay away from the super sticky tires or even worse slicks because its game over quick!

Even if you say that you won't lay on the throttle hard on starts, it will be quite hard to resist... Your other option is for the car to become a highway puller but thats meh, and even if you only do say 60-infinity pulls 3rd/4th will most likely become gummy quick -toothles ;)

mkfc
04-24-2008, 12:49 AM
which is why my 3 will have power to the rears :-)

Unoriginalusername
04-24-2008, 07:33 AM
IF* you do get all of the power to the ground, then the trans/axles/other drivetrain parts will definately leave this world quickly... most ppl with that power stay away from the super sticky tires or even worse slicks because its game over quick!

Even if you say that you won't lay on the throttle hard on starts, it will be quite hard to resist... Your other option is for the car to become a highway puller but thats meh, and even if you only do say 60-infinity pulls 3rd/4th will most likely become gummy quick -toothles ;)

i can find a rash of thrown rods, blown engines, howling diffs or broken diffs and axel problems on modified ms6's but i haven't seen any similar lsd, axel etc. problems you're so sure of yet at this point surfacing for the ms3 (thank goodness)