PDA

View Full Version : How To: 2004-2009 Shock Sensor Upgrade

cwp_sedan
03-02-2008, 01:51 AM
Shock Sensor Upgrade
You must have the factory Anti-theft system to be able to add the shock sensor (GT models only)

Approximate time required for installation:
- 45 min or less

Tools needed:
- pliers
- shock sensor install kit from Mazda (part # 0000-8F-K01A or 0000-8F-K01A-CA)
(In kit but missing from picture - 2 zip ties)

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/shock_sensor/Shock_Sensor_Kit.jpg

1. Remove the passenger side door sill by carefully pulling upward.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/shock_sensor/door_sill.jpg

2. Remove the pushpin on the passenger side kick panel.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/shock_sensor/pushpin.jpg

3. To remove the passenger side kick panel, carefully pull it towards the rear of the vehicle.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/shock_sensor/kick_panel.jpg

4. Remove the electrical tape on the main harness to expose the bundle of wires.
Separate the bundle of wires to access the appropriate wires for installation.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/shock_sensor/wire_harness.jpg

5. Locate the Black and Red wire for the diode jumper installation.
Be aware that there is also a BROWN & RED wire that looks very similar. DO NOT USE CONFUSE THE TWO.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/shock_sensor/blk_red_wire.jpg

6. Cut the Black/Red wire approximately 2 inches down from the main harness wrapping.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/shock_sensor/blk_red_wire_cut.jpg

7. Pre-assemble the diode jumper as shown. For ease of installation make sure the Brown Diode wire
is in the pass through side of the connector, and the molded stops are used on the brown wires.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/shock_sensor/diode_jumper.jpg

8. Install the Brown Diode wire (side w/o label) to the lower cut end of the Black/Red wire.
Next install the label end to the top side of the cut Black/Red wire.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/shock_sensor/diode_jumper_install.jpg

9. Locate the following 3 wires in the OEM harness.

Red
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/shock_sensor/red_wire.jpg

Orange with Yellow stripe - Make sure it is a yellow stripe. In some cases the yellow has faded and almost looked white.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/shock_sensor/orange_yellow_wire.jpg

Black
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/shock_sensor/blk_wire.jpg

10. Attach a red T-Tap to each as shown.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/shock_sensor/wire_ttaps.jpg

11. Attach a red T-Tap to the Black/Red wire, just above the connector from the Brown diode wire (with the label).
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/shock_sensor/blk_red_wire_ttap.jpg

12. Attach the shock sensor harness to the T-Taps.

Shock Sensor Vehicle Wire
Red ............................... Red
Orange ........................... Orange/Yellow stripe
Brown ............................ Brown diode wire
Black ............................. Black

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/shock_sensor/taped_harness.jpg

13. Use one tie wrap to secure the shock sensor to the OEM harness above the blue connector.
Note the LED should be facing the harness with the white knob facing rearward, to allow adjustment.
The unit will be upside down, but this will not effect performance.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/shock_sensor/sensor_mounted.jpg

14. Use the second tie wrap or electrical tape to neatly capture all the loose wires from the shock sensor harness and the OEM harness. Adjust the sensitivity before reassembling the kick panel. (SEE: SETTING SENSITIVITY BELOW)

15. Reinstall the kick panel and door sill.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

SETTING SENSITIVITY (AS PER MAZDA)

Shock sensor is factory pre-set to be at minimum sensitivity. In order for the sensor to be effective sensitivity level MUST be checked after installation. To adjust sensitivity, use the following procedure:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/shock_sensor/sensitivity_knob.jpg

A. Verify that the shock sensor’s adjustment knob is turned completely to the clockwise position (Maximum sensitivity).

B. Close all doors, hood and trunk. Arm security system using the keyless entry transmitter by pressing LOCK.
NOTE: A KEY MUST NOT BE IN THE IGNITION OR THE SECURITY SYSTEM WILL NOT ARM.

C. Strike the windshield and/or side glass firmly with the palm of your hand. The horn should sound as follows:

LIGHT IMPACT........HORN SHOULD NOT SOUND (! VERY IMPORTANT !)
HEAVY IMPACT.......SECURITY SYSTEM WILL BE TRIGGERED AND HORN WILL SOUND
DISARM BY PRESSING UNLOCK ON KEYLESS ENTRY TRANSMITTER.

NOTE: IF THE SECURITY SYSTEM IS TRIGGERED BY A GENTLE STRIKE OR THE HORN DOES NOT SOUND AT ALL. PROCEED TO STEP D.

D. Adjust sensitivity by turning the small knob on the side of the shock sensor.
REPEAT STEPS B & C UNTIL DESIRED LEVEL OF SENSITIVITY IS ACHIEVED.
If the horn sounds but does not sound after 2nd or 3rd test, then the diode is backwards or the wire tap connected to the diode assembly (from the shock sensor) is on the wrong side of the diode. IF THIS OCCURS THE SHOCK SENSOR MUST BE REPLACED AFTER CORRECTING THE CONNECTION(S).

E. To avoid any false triggers, a final test of the shock sensor should be performed by the following test while the system is armed. A light impact should NOT trigger the alarm system. If this happens, a false trigger will occur in the field and the system should be re-adjusted.

*Drop a tennis ball from 1 meter above the windshield.
*If the system triggers, it must be turned down and retested.

Just a comment from me...
A tennis ball never touched my car during this whole process and I wouldn't recommend it either. The palm of your hand works just fine.

M3!
03-02-2008, 03:56 AM
Great write up, were you able to just pick up the parts from the dealership? They allowed you to install it yourself? I'm surprised.

yearoftherat
03-02-2008, 06:38 AM
Great write up !!! Moderators should sticky this walk-through :)

cwp_sedan
03-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Great write up, were you able to just pick up the parts from the dealership? They allowed you to install it yourself? I'm surprised.

Well I had to pay for the sensor and yes you can just buy it at the dealers. I was not going to pay them $100+ for something so easy to install. If it was covered under the recall then I would have had them do it.

Gizzmo_jr
03-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Nicely done, good to see a colour version

Noisy Crow
03-02-2008, 11:50 AM
:bana Great write-up! Sticky, sticky, sticky! :bana

Another option for buying a sensor: cwp sedan found what appears to be the same unit on eBay:
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=262196&postcount=308

I have ordered one of them, and will share the results. The install will be slightly more complicated as I will need to fabricate the diode jumper myself and buy the connectors separately.

M3!
03-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Well I had to pay for the sensor and yes you can just buy it at the dealers. I was not going to pay them $100+ for something so easy to install. If it was covered under the recall then I would have had them do it.

I thought it was covered by the recall. From my understanding they would either reimburse you $100 if you had an aftermarket upgrade, or they would just do it for you for free.

cwp_sedan
03-02-2008, 12:44 PM
I thought it was covered by the recall. From my understanding they would either reimburse you $100 if you had an aftermarket upgrade, or they would just do it for you for free.

Only those who are eligible. My 2007 is not because it already had the recall done at the factory.

yearoftherat
03-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Question: Since we're dealing with electrical stuff....do you have to disconnect the battery BEFORE you do the install ??

cwp_sedan
03-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Question: Since we're dealing with electrical stuff....do you have to disconnect the battery BEFORE you do the install ??

I would agree with you that it would be a good idea. No where in the install manual does it say to disconnect the battery. There is almost no chance of you ever messing the electrical up though since you are just using t-taps.

I would suggest anyone who feels they should disconnect the battery to do so. I didn't and would continue not to.

MattC
03-02-2008, 02:36 PM
If you don't disconnect the battery, and your wire touches metal, you can pop a fuse or something, or atleast throw some sparks, so it is always safest to disconnect the battery when cutting/splicing wires.

cwp_sedan
03-02-2008, 02:39 PM
If you don't disconnect the battery, and your wire touches metal, you can pop a fuse or something, or atleast throw some sparks, so it is always safest to disconnect the battery when cutting/splicing wires.

Again +1 on the suggestion to whoever wants to go this route. The great thing about this install is that there are never any bare wires. The t-taps make this so painless a child could do it.

Jeff-TheBiz
03-02-2008, 02:59 PM

Any discussion on the recall can be found here (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22199).

Please keep on topic in the right thread.

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif for a great DIY writeup.

WeatherB
03-03-2008, 11:00 AM
How do I know if I have the factory anti-theft system? Mine only have the keyless.

Skarbro
03-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Nice write-up!

cwp_sedan
03-03-2008, 11:10 AM
How do I know if I have the factory anti-theft system? Mine only have the keyless.

You must have a GT model

Nice write-up!

Thanks. I appreciate your help with the clarification of the install.

Skarbro
03-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Incidentally, you might want to add that on my car the yellow on the orange and yellow wire looks closer to white. I'm sure that might confuse some people who have the same weird wire.

cwp_sedan
03-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Incidentally, you might want to add that on my car the yellow on the orange and yellow wire looks closer to white. I'm sure that might confuse some people who have the same weird wire.

Fixed! :)

cwp_sedan
03-05-2008, 08:39 AM
For testing the sensitivity, I would suggest pulling the wiper up off the windshield and then letting it go. I accidentally set off the alarm this morning when I was lifting the wipers up for the day (snow storm). I let one go and it hit the windshield and the impact was enough to set off the alarm.

I'm going to have to start alarming it after I am away from the car lol.

x_o_k_x
03-06-2008, 04:56 PM
For testing the sensitivity, I would suggest pulling the wiper up off the windshield and then letting it go. I accidentally set off the alarm this morning when I was lifting the wipers up for the day (snow storm). I let one go and it hit the windshield and the impact was enough to set off the alarm.

I'm going to have to start alarming it after I am away from the car lol.

I called the Mazda dealer with the $100 rebate on shock sensor. And The guy told me that you dont need it, that reinforcment works well and that shock censor is very sensitive to winds. Is that true?

Skarbro
03-06-2008, 05:04 PM
I called the Mazda dealer with the $100 rebate on shock sensor. And The guy told me that you dont need it, that reinforcment works well and that shock censor is very sensitive to winds. Is that true?
Sounds like that dealer is trying to weasel out of installing it for you.

The sensor is adjustable. So if it is too "sensitive to winds" then you can turn the sensitivity down.

Get it. The reinforcement (countermeasure) does not trigger your alarm when someone attempts to break your glass.

cwp_sedan
03-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Sounds like that dealer is trying to weasel out of installing it for you.

The sensor is adjustable. So if it is too "sensitive to winds" then you can turn the sensitivity down.

Get it. The reinforcement (countermeasure) does not trigger your alarm when someone attempts to break your glass.

+1000

ramboh
03-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks for a great writeup. I followed it and it was a breeze to install the shock sensor. One thing I did have trouble with was my mazdaspeed 3's front step plate seems to be very difficult to remove. I ended up just pulling the harness plate cover out with the step plate still in place.

Thanks again for a great writeup, it definitely helped me!

ramboh
03-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Oh, also, thanks to Joe at MoT for the shock sensor. I also had MoT take a look at some squeeks and creeks on my car and I think they took care of the cowl shake. I highly recommend Jeff, Joe and Vincent at MoT. They are great guys to deal with.

WeatherB
03-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Got my sensor from Joe and followed the instructions in this thread, worked like a charm.

Only thing, make sure the wires are really tucked in there. I had a hard time getting the panel clip back in because of the t-taps.

cwp_sedan
03-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Got my sensor from Joe and followed the instructions in this thread, worked like a charm.

Only thing, make sure the wires are really tucked in there. I had a hard time getting the panel clip back in because of the t-taps.

:bana2

WeatherB
03-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Question... How long will the horn beep for when the alarm is set off? Also, when I come back to the car, are there any indicators that the alarm was set off?

I noticed that the car now flashes the blinkers when I try to turn it on. I thought this meant that the alarm was set off, but it does it all the time so don't think so.

cwp_sedan
03-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Question... How long will the horn beep for when the alarm is set off? Also, when I come back to the car, are there any indicators that the alarm was set off?

I noticed that the car now flashes the blinkers when I try to turn it on. I thought this meant that the alarm was set off, but it does it all the time so don't think so.

I haven't actually checked how long it goes for but this is what I read in the manual...

2006 manual Sec. 3 pg 4 / 2007 manual Sec. 3 pg 6
Pressing the panic button once will trigger the alarm for about 2 minutes and 30 seconds, and the following will occur:
The horn sounds intermittently.
The hazard warning lights flash.

I have to assume that it would go off for the same length of time as when you hit the panic button. You could always bother your neighbours and find out for us. :chuckle

I'll have to check the light flashing thing. I don't think I have that. Do you mean that the lights flash but the alarm does not sound, but if you hit the window hard enough the alarm does go off and the lights still flash?

WeatherB
03-30-2008, 11:57 AM
I haven't actually checked how long it goes for but this is what I read in the manual...

2006 manual Sec. 3 pg 4 / 2007 manual Sec. 3 pg 6
Pressing the panic button once will trigger the alarm for about 2 minutes and 30 seconds, and the following will occur:
The horn sounds intermittently.
The hazard warning lights flash.

I have to assume that it would go off for the same length of time as when you hit the panic button. You could always bother your neighbours and find out for us. :chuckle

I'll have to check the light flashing thing. I don't think I have that. Do you mean that the lights flash but the alarm does not sound, but if you hit the window hard enough the alarm does go off and the lights still flash?

I may have to go up to an industrial area to try it out. :)

I mean that once I turn the alarm off and get into the car and put the key into the ignition, the hazard lights flash once or twice.

cwp_sedan
03-30-2008, 11:59 AM

I mean that once I turn the alarm off and get into the car and put the key into the ignition, the hazard lights flash once or twice.

Hmmm...not sure about that. I'll keep an eye out for it and see if it does that for me.

yearoftherat
03-30-2008, 02:40 PM

The hazards prb flash to let the driver know that someone has hit or tried to break onto the car.

WeatherB
03-30-2008, 04:40 PM
The hazards prb flash to let the driver know that someone has hit or tried to break onto the car.

I don't think so... It does that even if the alarm has not gone off.

WeatherB
04-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Any one figure it out yet? The hazard lights flash sometimes and not other times?!?!

It didn't flash when I left work after parking for the entire day but when I went to the gas station, and didn't even arm the alarm, it flashed.

cwp_sedan
04-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Nope...I think you might be one of a kind. :S

WeatherB
04-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Nope...I think you might be one of a kind. :S

hmm. :bang lets see if my mom's does the same thing after I get the sensor installed on Saturday.

So for you, the hazards only flash once you get into the car and turn it on after the alarm has gone off?

Noisy Crow
04-01-2008, 11:04 PM
hmm. :bang lets see if my mom's does the same thing after I get the sensor installed on Saturday.

So for you, the hazards only flash once you get into the car and turn it on after the alarm has gone off?

Did you double check all the connections... right colour wires tapped, correct leads plugged into each? Diode wire the right way around?

WeatherB
04-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Did you double check all the connections... right colour wires tapped, correct leads plugged into each? Diode wire the right way around?

Yup, but I will double check on the weekend to make sure.

cwp_sedan
04-07-2008, 10:03 AM
I have checked mine a couple times this weekend and I don't have any extra flashing going on. Even when the sensor sets off the alarm, there is no notification that indicates it has been triggered. I'm not surprised by this since the stock alarm is very basic. All the added shock sensor 'should' do is send a signal to sound the alarm, just like hitting the panic button or opening the door.

Hives
04-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Cool! Good Post =)

WeatherB
04-07-2008, 06:47 PM
I have checked mine a couple times this weekend and I don't have any extra flashing going on. Even when the sensor sets off the alarm, there is no notification that indicates it has been triggered. I'm not surprised by this since the stock alarm is very basic. All the added shock sensor 'should' do is send a signal to sound the alarm, just like hitting the panic button or opening the door.

Really weird... My mom's car doesn't have any sort of notification either. I checked my wiring against my mom's car and it matches. :loco

bb-bue
04-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Did anyone had problem with their car after the installation? such as burnt board? engine shuts down? alarm goes off randomly?

cwp_sedan
04-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Did anyone had problem with their car after the installation? such as burnt board? engine shuts down? alarm goes off randomly?

Nope. Are you sure you tapped the correct wires? Did you do anything else as well.

What do you mean by a burnt board?

Newlook
05-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Great write up. I got mine installed free of charge at Mississauga Mazda.

I was checking the sensitivity earlier on my driveway. I slapped the driver's window hard (the whole glass moves), nothing happened. I walked over to the passenger side, did the same thing on the passenger side windshield and able to set the alarm off. Is it not sensitive enough? I don't want to smack it too hard, cuz I'm afraid to break my own windows lol

How do you guys define the sensitivity? I would like it to go off when someone hits it, but stay quiet in a thunderstorm.

Also I discovered the orange wire from the sensor was hanging loose. Not sure of the purpose but the sensor still works. I reconnected it to the orange/yellow wire anyways.

Jeff-TheBiz
05-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Best to bring it back to the dealership, they should be the ones to fix/set the sensitivity.

cwp_sedan
05-19-2008, 12:24 PM
I would definitely take it back to the dealership if they installed it. I wouldn't recommend you smash your windshield like that. If you pull your wiper away from the glass and let it go it should be able to set off the sensor. I really hate the idea of people hitting the glass with their palm, fist, etc.

There shouldn't be any wires hanging loose. That just seems like something was messed up.

Shotta-KB
06-15-2008, 07:17 PM
FYI...I just got my sensor installed free of charge as Mazda Canada started sending out letters to have them done free of charge. I received my letter in May and I just had it done at Mississauga Mazda on my last service this past week (FREE).

I like the write up though, very detailed and easy to follow. :chuckle

cwp_sedan
06-15-2008, 09:22 PM
FYI...I just got my sensor installed free of charge as Mazda Canada started sending out letters to have them done free of charge. I received my letter in May and I just had it done at Mississauga Mazda on my last service this past week (FREE).

I like the write up though, very detailed and easy to follow. :chuckle

You do realize that only some people got those letters right? I had this fix done at the factory so I was no eligible for the free shock sensor. So what are you talking about?

This thread is for how to do it. If you want to discuss the actual details on the fix there is another thread for that.

htc***
02-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Please let me know this shock sensor for sedan or hatch because when I check with dealer and they said for sedan only. Thanks.

cwp_sedan
02-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Please let me know this shock sensor for sedan or hatch because when I check with dealer and they said for sedan only. Thanks.

It's DEFINITELY for both. I know a number of people with hatches who have installed it. Which dealer is telling you that?

htc***
02-07-2010, 12:08 AM
I heard Mazda Canada had free shock sensor for 04-06 M3 GT owner (SSA75 - SSP75 "aka" door lock issue). When I check with service advisor @MOT, they said for sedan only that why I would like to know if some1 has hatch which had shock sensor install from dealer. I hope any hatch's owner had done it or JOE will clarify about it.

yearoftherat
02-07-2010, 08:36 AM
I heard Mazda Canada had free shock sensor for 04-06 M3 GT owner (SSA75 - SSP75 "aka" door lock issue). When I check with service advisor @MOT, they said for sedan only that why I would like to know if some1 has hatch which had shock sensor install from dealer. I hope any hatch's owner had done it or JOE will clarify about it.

IIRC I was also sent a letter from Mazda Canada regarding the issue. If you did not get a letter then you maybe out of luck as the dealer requires the letter as proof to get reimbursed by Mazda Canada.

cwp_sedan
02-07-2010, 12:10 PM

Well the shock sensor was only supposed to be given out for free for those waiting for the door lock fix, as a temporary fix. I doubt they will still offer that to you for free. If they do, bonus for you. Talk to Joe because that isn't right. I know for a fact that it works on the hatch, and why wouldn't it? The wiring is exactly the same as a sedan (alarm wise). I would have asked Joe from the beginning anyway.

queens49
02-08-2010, 09:46 AM
I have a hatch and I got the shock sensor installed free at MOT.

htc***
02-08-2010, 10:40 AM
I have to go to MOT again and check with Joe about it. Thanks everybody for all these answers.

Fobio
05-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Just did it on Sunday. Thanks for the easy to follow instructions.

Turok
05-25-2010, 01:55 PM
I did mine last weekend and it was a breeze, very easy to follow instructions and nice pictures.

Linkz
08-19-2010, 01:23 AM
Good write up!

Snotrocket
09-08-2010, 09:44 PM
anything out for the 2010's?

cwp_sedan
09-08-2010, 10:08 PM
anything out for the 2010's?

No idea.

Hoodzy
10-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Question.. sorry if I missed it.. how much does the shock sensor cost from Mazda??

cwp_sedan
10-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Question.. sorry if I missed it.. how much does the shock sensor cost from Mazda??

I think it was around $50-60. I can't remember off the top of my head though.

Pokaroo Kris
12-12-2012, 12:55 PM

$37 + tax from the dealer....$105 if you want them to install it.

Core
02-10-2013, 01:16 AM
Think I might do this as a poor man's alarm system!

TheMAN
02-10-2013, 01:20 AM
I wrote a how-to for this long ago too... I think around the same time cwp did... alternate source of information :)
http://web2.airmail.net/theman/mz3shock/