PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts: Koni FSD's and/or Eibach Pro Kits on MS3?

kid_icarus
03-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Hey guys,

i'm thinking of picking up a set of pro kits for the MS3 but SSG also has some Koni FSD's available.

I've done some reading on the forums and have read a lot about these two products and how they work together and independantly.

However, haven't heard anyone really talk about it on the Mazdaspeed 3.

1) Would new shocks be "optimal" on the MS3 if i installed pro kits?
Are the current MS3 shocks going to hold up?

2) Will adding Koni Shocks alone be a major improvement over the stock MS3 shocks?

3) If I installed only the pro kits, would my ride suffer? I've read in some cases that pro kits make the ride more comfortable??

4) What kind of driving experience would I get by adding BOTH the pro kits and the fsd?? Is it worth the money? I'm not going to be taking this car around the track , but would enjoy tighter cornering and handling while also having a mildly lowered ride. I do NOT want to SLAM my car.....

Let me know what you guys think in terms of how these products might work with a speed3 compared to the stock setup.

mleblond
03-06-2008, 04:59 PM
good question! I am wondering how it compares to the mazdaspeed kit that sells for 1600$...

CanadaGTO
03-06-2008, 07:15 PM
I believe royroy had the ProKit/FSD combo at one point, you may want to shoot him a PM to see how he liked it.

royroy
03-06-2008, 07:58 PM
yup i did..
but the FSD r too soft for the speed =/
i think the stock shocks are better on the speed...

Fuman
03-06-2008, 08:15 PM
If anyone is trying to sell you FSD and Pro-kits separate is trying to rip you off.
Koni FSD Sport kit = koni FSD + prokit
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?&make=Koni&model=FSD+Damper+Set+%26+Springs

So yes, the setup will be balanced. But Roy Roy did have this setup and didn't like it.
The yellows have adjustable rebound, I don't know about the FSD.
You could look into the Koni Sport Kit (the yellows) if you want.
I don't know what springs are used in this kit.

S.F.W.
03-06-2008, 09:27 PM
I have pro kits on now, and will be installing Roy's old FSD's in April.

Fuman
03-06-2008, 10:13 PM
I have pro kits on now, and will be installing Roy's old FSD's in April.
it'll be different for us though, since we have a regular 3, not to mention you and I both have the sedan.
0) Our mass is different (the cars)
1) The weight distribution is different.
2) Their stock feeling and ours is different

S.F.W. it should feel pretty good for us, since pro-kit + F.S.D are originally one kit.
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/tests/koni_fsd.jsp
FSD w/prokit ranked 1st.

kid_icarus
03-06-2008, 11:43 PM
wow thanks for all the input so far guys.

so roy, did you have the FSD's installed onto your speed3? I believe you originally had them on the sedan? i thought they were supposed to be firm and soft? but ur saying it'll be much softer than the stocks? even in "firm" situations?

is it safe to assume pro kits alone with the stock mazdaspeed 3 shocks will be okay? i don't wanna blow my shocks or wear them out too soon.

i'd rather sell them than messed them up.

anyways keep the thoghts rolling..

and yeah i saw that fsd's come with pro kits in some instances... but i don't think so in ssg's case?? but i could be wrong.

Nextmod
03-07-2008, 01:11 AM
ya my pro kits and FSD's are in different boxes, never knew they came in a kit.

I guess its not a good idea to use FSD with Prokit on the MazdaSpeed 3,

I can also get the Koni Yellow if you are interested.

lol and good thing it was you that asked me for the FSD, or else I would be the bad guy that "Tried to rip you off" lol

Fuman
03-07-2008, 01:52 AM
lol and good thing it was you that asked me for the FSD, or else I would be the bad guy that "Tried to rip you off" lol
He asked you about the FSDs only.
Thats why I never said SSG tried to rip you off. Guess I should of put an IF at the beginning of my sentence.

royroy
03-07-2008, 01:55 AM
wow thanks for all the input so far guys.

so roy, did you have the FSD's installed onto your speed3? I believe you originally had them on the sedan? i thought they were supposed to be firm and soft? but ur saying it'll be much softer than the stocks? even in "firm" situations?

is it safe to assume pro kits alone with the stock mazdaspeed 3 shocks will be okay? i don't wanna blow my shocks or wear them out too soon.

i'd rather sell them than messed them up.

anyways keep the thoghts rolling..

and yeah i saw that fsd's come with pro kits in some instances... but i don't think so in ssg's case?? but i could be wrong.
i had them on my hatch..they are firm for the regular hatch.. but too soft for the speed.. maybe is coze of the weight different... i dunno...i think the FSD r much softer than stock...

kid_icarus
03-07-2008, 08:48 AM
ya my pro kits and FSD's are in different boxes, never knew they came in a kit.

I guess its not a good idea to use FSD with Prokit on the MazdaSpeed 3,

I can also get the Koni Yellow if you are interested.

how much are koni yellows? lol

haha i never said you were trying to rip me off either. i blame it on fuman for the linguistics!!! shame on you fuman!!

i had them on my hatch..they are firm for the regular hatch.. but too soft for the speed.. maybe is coze of the weight different... i dunno...i think the FSD r much softer than stock...

alright that makes things easy then. i'll take your advice for it lol

either way i think having both shocks and springs might be a lil too much $$ for me haha.

do you guys think adding pro kits will be "bad" for my stock ms3 shocks?

Nextmod
03-07-2008, 11:42 AM
if it was a reg 3 then yes def should upgrade your shocks. but the MS3 shocks might actually be good enough with lowered springs.

but if you really want to upgrade, yes the koni yellows are very good

Nextmod
03-07-2008, 11:42 AM
He asked you about the FSDs only.
Thats why I never said SSG tried to rip you off. Guess I should of put an IF at the beginning of my sentence.

I was just joking bro lol

S.F.W.
03-07-2008, 11:57 AM

don't tase me bro :chuckle

Fuman
03-07-2008, 12:37 PM
It was late... wasn't seeing things properly! Especially after programming for 3 hrs, lol

Nextmod
03-07-2008, 12:55 PM
no problem, but you are right, my supplier does have the FSD with Spring together

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=266687#post266687

kid_icarus
03-07-2008, 05:01 PM
any thoughts on whether adding pro kits to the speed 3 would need camber links installed as well??

or i won't need them?

Fuman
03-07-2008, 05:58 PM
any thoughts on whether adding pro kits to the speed 3 would need camber links installed as well??

or i won't need them?
likely not.
But if Roy Roy is saying FSD isn't stiff enough, you might want to consider the yellows.
Or just stay on stock struts.

doughboyr6
03-07-2008, 07:34 PM
there is one member from M3F who has had the FSDs for 10K+ miles and he has a very extensive review....check it out.

REZXPERT
03-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Hey guys,

i'm thinking of picking up a set of pro kits for the MS3 but SSG also has some Koni FSD's available.

I've done some reading on the forums and have read a lot about these two products and how they work together and independantly.

However, haven't heard anyone really talk about it on the Mazdaspeed 3.

1) Would new shocks be "optimal" on the MS3 if i installed pro kits?
Are the current MS3 shocks going to hold up?

2) Will adding Koni Shocks alone be a major improvement over the stock MS3 shocks?

3) If I installed only the pro kits, would my ride suffer? I've read in some cases that pro kits make the ride more comfortable??

4) What kind of driving experience would I get by adding BOTH the pro kits and the fsd?? Is it worth the money? I'm not going to be taking this car around the track , but would enjoy tighter cornering and handling while also having a mildly lowered ride. I do NOT want to SLAM my car.....

Let me know what you guys think in terms of how these products might work with a speed3 compared to the stock setup.

hey Phil, here's your solution: coilovers.