PDA

View Full Version : Account Closure

SpeedBaby
03-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Can we have the option for users to close their accounts if they want to?

Yesterday I realized that this cannot be done by the user nor the admins. Even if you get banned permanently your account still stays with all the information in it. I would like to see the option of closing it completely with the entire profile being removed so that no PMs could be sent to the user and the name not being searchable.

MPS
03-10-2008, 11:38 AM
just ban her for f*** sakes
she is so annoing

:gone

midnightfxgt
03-10-2008, 11:45 AM
The name remains searchable since all the posts are stored in the database. It would be a pain to go in and remove all the posts from 1 single user. I mean, really, there is no point.

-John

SpeedBaby
03-10-2008, 11:49 AM
leave the posts, just remove the profile and make the name non-clickable

MPS
03-10-2008, 11:56 AM
opps she still here
:gone

Cardinal Fang
03-10-2008, 12:10 PM
leave the posts, just remove the profile and make the name non-clickable

Can't be done unless you are banned.

Go to your control panel/Edit Profile and remove all your information about your car. Then go to your Edit Options and remove the PM message as well as Email capabilities from your account. This way no one will be able to PM or email you.

Please remember though that you have to agree not to use the account any longer. If you decide to restart using the account even for browsing and DO NOT enable the PM message or email option you can be reprimanded if not banned. All members must have these two options on so that moderators can contact them. It's in our board rules.

Jeff-TheBiz
03-10-2008, 12:56 PM
If you do not PMs or access to your account, just go to your profile, change your email preference to be no for notifications and no to users can email me.

Then go to change password.. click on the box, turn head, type 4 letters then tab and the same 4 letters. and enjoy.

Noisy Crow
03-10-2008, 01:07 PM

Yesterday I realized that this cannot be done by the user nor the admins. Even if you get banned permanently your account still stays with all the information in it. I would like to see the option of closing it completely with the entire profile being removed so that no PMs could be sent to the user and the name not being searchable.

Can I ask why you are wanting this? What you have presented here is a solution to an unstated problem... for which there might exist a better solution.

SpeedBaby
03-10-2008, 01:23 PM
believe me, the problem is better left unstated

Broli
03-10-2008, 01:30 PM
my opinion is that banning or deleting an account is not needed.

just turn off the contact ability (as stated above)

and dont log on anymore.

easy, easy.

problem with deleting accounts is that what if the person decides later they want to come back and then they open a new account, but it is still the same person . . better to just stick with the one account. if the person never come back, then no problem and if the person comes back no problem

if we delete the account and u (general, not specifically talking about u Tamara) decide u want to come back . . it is annoying to merge the accounts and stuff later.

Noisy Crow
Fair enough.

BTW, while it is difficult to completely erradicated an account in vBulletin, the board admins *can" change usernames and they can remove all posts by a user. However, I would expect thay you would have to provide a very strong argument before they would do either.

REZXPERT

i'm with you on this one, SpeedBaby. i would like to close accounts on members' behalf as a service to TM3:chuckle

midnightfxgt
03-10-2008, 01:35 PM
I dont get it. It looks as though you want to leave. Why not change the settings, and leave it (Assuming that the effect your going for)?

-John

REZXPERT
03-10-2008, 01:42 PM
membership here is like a getting a tattoo, real pain to remove so think before you do it.

mleblond
03-10-2008, 02:03 PM
As a privacy act factor you should have the right to delete your account.

TM3 stas as of today Members: 3,475, Active Members: 952. you can easily delete 2000 accounts right there and optimize the database.

If they decide to come back it's simply a new account again.

BUT I understand that TM3 wants to keep all previous users in case they come back as another name with bad intentions. But IMO if you have bad intentions you can easily find another way to do your mischief.

SpeedBaby
03-10-2008, 02:13 PM
actually i know of some users that have more than 1 account...me for example shouldn't we be concerned about this as well?

midnightfxgt
03-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Why be concerned about multiple accounts? Your e-mail address is not publicly displayed, nor is sensitive information. Why open multiple accounts then?

Flagrum_3
03-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Why be concerned about multiple accounts? Your e-mail address is not publicly displayed, nor is sensitive information. Why open multiple accounts then?

Split personality, comes to mind as one possible reason :chuckle

_3

midnightfxgt
03-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Lol!

mEtH
03-10-2008, 02:47 PM
membership here is like a getting a tattoo, real pain to remove so think before you do it.

you should of taken the blue pill... :chuckle

Cardinal Fang
03-10-2008, 03:23 PM

When the committee got the new board up and running we all agreed that there should be no multiple accounts because of the potential for abuse. Be that as it may the current administration may have decided it was ok.

As I've stated before clear your profile, delete your email address and disable your ability to receive any pms or be notified about posts and you're done. There is no need to delete the account as it causes more problems for the database. Many have left this board without the drastic step of deleting an account.

Unoriginalusername
03-10-2008, 03:37 PM
actually i know of some users that have more than 1 account...me for example shouldn't we be concerned about this as well?

:chuckle i know what it is

3GFX
03-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Its hard to track multiple accounts although it is frowned upon.

Jeff-TheBiz
03-10-2008, 04:21 PM
:chuckle i know what it is

So does the mod team.

Cardinal Fang
03-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Its hard to track multiple accounts although it is frowned upon.

True. But there are ways.

Give out an amnesty period of two weeks for people to turn in their multiple accounts no questions asked. After that if you are found with more than one account you are banned. There is no need for multiple accounts.

So I will start then. Mods delete my other account. I only set it up to get a few laughs. Please delete the "Broli" account.

Unoriginalusername
03-10-2008, 04:49 PM
True. But there are ways.

Give out an amnesty period of two weeks for people to turn in their multiple accounts no questions asked. After that if you are found with more than one account you are banned. There is no need for multiple accounts.

So I will start then. Mods delete my other account. I only set it up to get a few laughs. Please delete the "Broli" account.

HHAHAHHAHAHHA

Cardinal Fang
03-10-2008, 04:53 PM
After that you can delete my other account "Unoriginalusername." It too was not that funny.

Unoriginalusername
03-10-2008, 04:56 PM
After that you can delete my other account "Unoriginalusername." It too was not that funny.

my wife would appreciate that :chuckle

Cardinal Fang
03-10-2008, 05:00 PM
:chuckle

So would my wife about me.

SpeedBaby
03-10-2008, 07:31 PM
yeah, but what do you do with that other acct?
i mean if we can't delete them, then what is left to do?

3GFX
03-10-2008, 07:53 PM
lol...your never gonna leave....you keep coming back for more :p

Cardinal Fang
03-10-2008, 08:32 PM

Let the mods know so that they can change the password and you won't be able to use it. This saves you the embarrassment of people knowing your other handle as well as putting an end to it being used.

Honestly, what is the point of multiple handles? Somebody explain this to me?

3GFX
03-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Possibly accumilating 10,000 posts without looking like you spend to much time on the forum? :p

Cardinal Fang
03-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks 3GFX. That makes me feel SOOOOO much better about my 4130 post count. :chuckle

3GFX
03-10-2008, 08:52 PM
*rakes out fingers, starts counting*

Could have sworn you had 10,221 posts....hmmm.

Jeff-TheBiz
03-10-2008, 08:53 PM

Why are you still here? :chuckle

SpeedBaby
03-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Why are you still here? :chuckle

cuz i still haven't found the person who would do what i'm asking for...i know you can, but just don't want to. :flaming

as for cardi's question: i have created the first acct back when i first joined the club back in 2004, and then got banned after 2 posts. then i forgot that i had the account and registered a new one...i only remembered i had one after i rgistered the new one.

Cardinal Fang
03-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Well, if the first account was banned then you really only have one account, which is the one you're currently using. If you were banned then that account is truly inactive even if you tried to get access to it now.

When I was referring to multiple handles I was talking about posters that use both handles at the same time. Sometimes they log in as "poster A," then another times they log in as "poster B."

RallyPlaya
03-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Well in that case i at first made a user name called dark streak has 24 posts i think havent used it for many months..... i made a new account because my bud said it sounded like a poo stain lmfao soo im Now RallyPlaya symbolizing all the drifting i did in the summer... got a few dents however hahaha... You guys can terminate dark streak

Jeff-TheBiz
03-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Well in that case i at first made a user name called dark streak has 24 posts i think havent used it for many months..... i made a new account because my bud said it sounded like a poo stain lmfao soo im Now RallyPlaya symbolizing all the drifting i did in the summer... got a few dents however hahaha... You guys can terminate dark streak

Merged. Thanks

SpeedBaby
03-11-2008, 11:05 PM
you know what, forget the whole discussion as it obviously didn't take us far.

one question to the admin team tho (mostly to ami i guess):

when a user registers an account on TM3 does that account belong to TM3 or the user?

(at this point im just too lazy to go and search for any disclosures that mihgt or might not be there...or might even apear, so i'll just take your word for it)

Jeff-TheBiz
03-11-2008, 11:16 PM
you know what, forget the whole discussion

:bana2:lock:bana2

Reopened at the request of the original poster.

As you were...

S.F.W.
03-12-2008, 01:35 AM
you know what, forget the whole discussion as it obviously didn't take us far.

one question to the admin team tho (mostly to ami i guess):

when a user registers an account on TM3 does that account belong to TM3 or the user?

(at this point im just too lazy to go and search for any disclosures that mihgt or might not be there...or might even apear, so i'll just take your word for it)

I'll look into this during business hours.