PDA

View Full Version : What's the point in getting a CAI?

Noisy Crow
03-10-2008, 06:53 PM
I was on the 407 today... I won't go into the whole situation, but I got stuck behind a couple of SUVs who were stuck behind a guy doing 115 in the left lane. We ended having to pass the guy on his right (he didn't seem inclined to move over when the lane was clear) and then we moved back into the left lane to overtake the cars in the right lane.

So I'm following these SUVs, and they are really pushing it, and I kept up for a bit. We were on the far side of 150 in seconds... whoops. I backed off 'cause I kinda like my car and didn't feel like handing it over to the cops.

Now, I could have hit 160, 170 no problem, and I got to 150 really quick, so what I want to know: What's the point of installing a CAI or cat-back?

bubba1983
03-10-2008, 06:57 PM
we do not incourage speeding on this forum....
ill be frank goign those speeds is absolutely stupid....

tweak_s
03-10-2008, 07:03 PM
to get to the proper LIMIT .... fast. Speeding like that is dumb man.

mEtH
03-10-2008, 07:06 PM
are you serious... what does that story even have to do with being curious about an intake and exhaust...
they give you more power... use the search to find more info on them, its been discussed over and over

Noisy Crow
03-10-2008, 07:07 PM
we do not incourage speeding on this forum....
ill be frank goign those speeds is absolutely stupid....

Yep, 120 is pretty much as fast as I'm willing to drive. Which is pretty much my point... this car can already get stupid-fast really quickly....

Noisy Crow
03-10-2008, 07:15 PM
are you serious... what does that story even have to do with being curious about an intake and exhaust...
they give you more power... use the search to find more info on them, its been discussed over and over

I know what they DO, it's just that I'm not quite sure of where I could use it! Unless you are pushing the edge of envelope you won't be able use the more power --- the point of the story is these cars already have more power than needed anywhere we would be driving our cars.

JonsMazda
03-10-2008, 07:19 PM
meh, i just have one for the looks and space room.

JonsMazda
03-10-2008, 07:20 PM
oh and the sound it makes from the cai.

yearoftherat
03-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Just because other a**holes are speeding.. that does'nt mean you have like a lemming and follow everyone else...

RallyPlaya
03-10-2008, 07:24 PM
I Got the CAI for the sound and i like pushing the car from 0-60km of green lights sometimes hearing the vroom sound....... Its mostly just for Sound Noisy Crow and being able to get to a certain speed limit fast. The Fasttest i go on the highway is 130km and thats on the fast lane moving the speed of the traffic.I Never get close to the 150 mark ever since that new rule.... if u wna go really fast sign up for track.... & Ur arguement makes no sense to me as all most cars manufactured now can reach speeds of 150km not a big deal IMO its not like the Mazda 3 is too fast already... The CAI just improves the breathing of your engine and makes the car sound amazing

tweak_s
03-10-2008, 07:25 PM
I know what they DO, it's just that I'm not quite sure of where I could use it! Unless you are pushing the edge of envelope you won't be able use the more power --- the point of the story is these cars already have more power than needed anywhere we would be driving our cars.

Its more power to get up to speed imo.

If you already think its fast enough as in its getting up to speed fast enough.. then you don't need a CAI or a catback..

Noisy Crow
03-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Its more power to get up to speed imo.

If you already think its fast enough as in its getting up to speed fast enough.. then you don't need a CAI or a catback..

Well, it certainly gets there fast enough for me! :bang

RallyPlaya
03-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Noisy Crow Do you like the Sound of your car when you reach that speed or do u find it too faint... if u want to hear a little more vroom and a LITTLE more torque in initial raise in speed get a CAI otherwise dont get one its only about 250$ anywayz its 95% for sound for most people its not gonna make a drastic change in speed

3GFX
03-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Well then don't ask silly!!!!

Its like asking (in larger scale), why would you buy a faster car instead of a slower car. That's up to you. You don't need it on the street, but you might do it for looks, sound, bragging rights or for its real use. The track.

RallyPlaya
03-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Well then don't ask silly!!!!

Its like asking (in larger scale), why would you buy a faster car instead of a slower car. That's up to you. You don't need it on the street, but you might do it for looks, sound, bragging rights or for its real use. The track.

+1 Exactly..... If Ur Still iffy lol come to one of the meets and chk out the sound of the CAI as thats where most of your money is going to... with a CAI the vroom sound comes only when u move into higher revs unlike an exhaust which is a constant rumble sound

Noisy Crow
03-10-2008, 08:09 PM
I guess I'm being too practical. Or at least too day-to-day driving to work practical.

I didn't mean to offend anyone (I think I struck a bit of nerve here :blush), sorry guys.

RallyPlaya
03-10-2008, 08:45 PM
No Worries man a few months ago i didn't even know what a CAI is i guess what the members are trying to say is modding is just a form of making your car unique and something like a CAI isnt going to turn your car into a ferrari. My Advice 2 u is to come out to some meets and see how these mods look and work in person....

Ex-Rolla
03-10-2008, 08:46 PM
it sounds nice... until you get an exhaust... then the CAI seems to be non-existant. no other reason really.

ohh and it'll give you anywhere from 0hp to 2hp

Wild Weasel
03-11-2008, 08:20 AM
I think the biggest positive effect of a CAI is the sound. The extra few hp is nice, but not as noticable as the change they make to the tone of the car.

With that said... adding power to a car isn't about adding top speed capabilities. It's about making the car generally more fun to drive. It's completely irrelevant that the car can go over 150. What's fun is being able to go from 60 to 120 up an on-ramp with some authority. Being able to go from 80 to 120 to pass someone with a good firm kick in the back from the seat is a great feeling. Those are the sorts of times when having extra power is worth it.

If you're already completely satisfied with the acceleration and don't want the car to sound any more agressive, then you have no need for a CAI.

theurgy
03-11-2008, 06:30 PM
I say get the CAI cause they look good and women like guys who have super fast cars ... despite having small penises.

(Again... I am in no way implying anything about said author of this post).

Flagrum_3
03-11-2008, 08:58 PM
I was on the 407 today... I won't go into the whole situation, but I got stuck behind a couple of SUVs who were stuck behind a guy doing 115 in the left lane. We ended having to pass the guy on his right (he didn't seem inclined to move over when the lane was clear) and then we moved back into the left lane to overtake the cars in the right lane.

So I'm following these SUVs, and they are really pushing it, and I kept up for a bit. We were on the far side of 150 in seconds... whoops. I backed off 'cause I kinda like my car and didn't feel like handing it over to the cops.

Now, I could have hit 160, 170 no problem, and I got to 150 really quick, so what I want to know: What's the point of installing a CAI or cat-back?

Well I'll tell yeah I didn't put on an exhaust or intake hoping for more speed! It was more of an enjoyment type upgrade, just love the sounds! ...but I was hoping to get better fuel economy also...which I can happily say I have.

A couple of times on the highway it was nice to have that extra humph when following a tractor trailor shooting chunks of ice from the top of its trailer and I just had to give it abit of goose to pass him in a flash, averting getting hit by several large chunks of frozen snow and ice and worse possible injury. :chuckle

_3

mogul_pro
03-11-2008, 09:11 PM

If you think a mazda3 is fast... you OBVIOUSLY haven’t driven many cars have ya?

Also, those mods don't change your top speed.

The point is to have a more responsive vehicle. Most automotive modifications are for ENTHOUSIASTS, people that enjoy driving there vehicles in a spirited manner, and enjoy getting the most out of there vehicle and its potential. Doesn't sound like you would be included in that category, but it shouldn't be hard for you to see why other people are drawn to such modifications, being automotive enthusiasts.

PS- If you don’t want a car that can do over 150, get a smart car next time because pretty much any car on the planet can achieve 150km/hr without a problem.

mogul_pro
03-11-2008, 09:14 PM
I didn't mean to offend anyone (I think I struck a bit of nerve here :blush), sorry guys.

Its all good, just a sensitive subject on a forum where 90% of the guys are into at least some kind of modification for there mazda3, and are passionate about there car. lol.
Hind sight is 20/20 huh? lol

Seliina
03-12-2008, 05:11 PM
I think the biggest positive effect of a CAI is the sound. The extra few hp is nice, but not as noticable as the change they make to the tone of the car.

With that said... adding power to a car isn't about adding top speed capabilities. It's about making the car generally more fun to drive. It's completely irrelevant that the car can go over 150. What's fun is being able to go from 60 to 120 up an on-ramp with some authority. Being able to go from 80 to 120 to pass someone with a good firm kick in the back from the seat is a great feeling. Those are the sorts of times when having extra power is worth it.

I can already do that without a CAI but I do have the 2.3L engine.

And Theurgy - women don't want men with fast cars (regardless of penis size), we just want fast cars.:hawt

theurgy
03-12-2008, 05:39 PM
And Theurgy - women don't want men with fast cars (regardless of penis size), we just want fast cars.:hawt

Aww.. but why the hell did I buy this MS3???
:chuckle

Fuman
03-12-2008, 08:22 PM
CAI is mostly just for noise it makes.
The around 10 of extra HP/torque on the regular 3s doesn't really make much of a difference in daily driving.
Dyno chart here: http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=154259&postcount=1
Although, I have to admit 10 ponies is more than I expected for just a CAI.

Question for those with CAI:
People say it makes the car more responsive, but what do you define as responsive?
Power does come earlier but is the response quicker going from partial throttle to full?

Niteshade
03-12-2008, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=Flagrum_3;268282]...but I was hoping to get better fuel economy also...which I can happily say I have.
QUOTE]

Aside from sound, this is a big part why I picked one up (just today at MoT, thanks Joe!). I do a LOT of highway driving and figure the freer breathing engine at constant highway speeds should increase my mileage.

Glad to see Flagrum's already seeing this with his.

Skarbro
03-12-2008, 09:25 PM
LOL Many people who install CAI's end up getting LESS gas mileage just because they stomp on the gas more to hear the cool sounds.

Niteshade
03-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Aye, well that is a potential downside:chuckle

Perhaps I should have said better fuel mileage once the novelty wears off!:bana

theurgy
03-13-2008, 12:43 AM
LOL... I figure.. the only real benefit I've heard is the sound.
I've heard it makes a huge difference with the MS3.
When i had my Mazda3 GS Sedan... I had a CAI and it totally changed the sound.
I wasn't expecting to notice the HP gain or the fuel economy... if you install it with the for sure benefit of it making a cool sound and making your engine compartment a little more Gucci... then cool.
Any other added benefit is just a bonus.

Flagrum_3
03-13-2008, 09:53 AM
The around 10 of extra HP/torque on the regular 3s doesn't really make much of a difference in daily driving.
Dyno chart here: http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=154259&postcount=1

People say it makes the car more responsive, but what do you define as responsive?
Power does come earlier but is the response quicker going from partial throttle to full?

I feel slightly better pull at higher speeds, say from doing 110kph and with a sudden snap of the throttle, gets me to like 140kph in no time.I suppose this is due to a freer breathing engine, due to both intake and exhaust mind you.

_3

mogul_pro
03-13-2008, 11:19 AM
LOL Many people who install CAI's end up getting LESS gas mileage just because they stomp on the gas more to hear the cool sounds.

<--- GUILTY! :blush lol

Aye, well that is a potential downside:chuckle

Perhaps I should have said better fuel mileage once the novelty wears off!:bana

It wears off? LOL! :loco

Your taking the restricted air flow of the stock intake and opening it up. Taking an engine that is being "choked" and letting it breath so to speak.
So in answer to your question,yes you get some better throttle responce, slightly better acceleration.... for two hundred bucks and get those benifits cant go wrong in my opinion.

alhope34
03-14-2008, 11:21 PM
I've heard it makes a huge difference with the MS3.

It does. But any FI car will benefit much more from intake/exhaust mods than an NA car. My MS3 just has an intake and BPV, and with my winter tires I can lose traction easing into 2nd then stomping the gas, in 3rd even when wet out. Can also chirp pretty good into third when it is dry out. The extra power was good the other day after work to keep a punk in a Lincoln LS V8 from passing me from the RIGHT TURN LANE when the light turned green.

MZ3_GS
03-16-2008, 01:25 AM
If you think a mazda3 is fast... you OBVIOUSLY haven’t driven many cars have ya?

Haha...

sunnyhomeboy
04-08-2008, 10:30 AM
what RPM does the CAI come into place? how much rpm is needed to hear it?

mogul_pro
04-08-2008, 11:25 AM
what RPM does the CAI come into place? how much rpm is needed to hear it?

1-7000.. lol

If you step on the gas you can hear it... pretty much everyone has em... come to a meet you can hear one for sure..

ZoomBoom
07-07-2008, 09:13 PM
HOw come only 135hp I thought these 2.3l were 160hp

alhope34
07-07-2008, 09:24 PM
HOw come only 135hp I thought these 2.3l were 160hp

About 135hp to the wheels. 160hp would be hp at the flywheel.