PDA

View Full Version : Need Help: Oil for Mazdaspeed

mleblond
03-15-2008, 10:57 AM
I am going crazy over this. Performance Mazda in Ottawa just told me to use 5W20 non-synthetic oil on the speed. She said there was a letter sent out 2 months ago saying that if you use synthetic oil on the speed that it would void your warranty...

I was told to use 5w30 from other guys on this forum...

Really don't know what to do and have my Royal Purple 5w20 that I need to know if I keep or bring back to the store...

Please Help!

I will call another mazda dealer in the meantime...

It would suck to lose my 5 year warranty....over this bs

mleblond
03-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Tried to call mazda of toronto and they tell me to call back later :( too busy I guess...

FLIPDADY
03-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Tried to call mazda of toronto and they tell me to call back later :( too busy I guess...
If you can't get through call me.

416-642-1333

Joe

Yes all 2.3 turbo engines take 5W30 oil. I don't know where they got that other info from.

This excerpt taken from a Mazda service tip:

When servicing 2000-2007 B4000, 2007 CX-7, 2007 MAZDASPEED3 and 2006-2007 MAZDASPEED6 vehicles, SAE 5W-30 motor oil should be used when changing the oil. The owner’s manuals reflect this information.

CanadaGTO
03-15-2008, 11:55 AM
I've received no letter stating that we should use 5W20 Synthetic.

RX9
03-15-2008, 12:25 PM
ok, i know why you receive the letter now. you pay for a regular3, but they have made a mistake to give u a speed, lucky you. (you have to do as same as IKEA TV comercial.....):chuckle

mleblond
03-15-2008, 12:47 PM
the letter she said was for synthetic oil...saying not to use it on that engine...it would void the warranty.

Joe i will call you in a minute!

Skarbro
03-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Why the hell would synthetic oil void the warranty? Makes no sense.

alhope34
03-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Haha, I just got a synthetic change today. Was going to be the second time using Mobil1 5w30, but I forgot my oil at home and had to use the dealer's Castrol Syntec 5w30. I've only ever heard that you shouldn't put synthetic in a rotary engine because it will mess up the seals or something.

silvermist99
03-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Why the hell would synthetic oil void the warranty? Makes no sense.

is it due to the fact that synthetic oils are thinner the conventional oil and it can leak off the turbo seals & cause exhaust smog? (don't frame me if I'm totally wrong, I'm new to the mazda community and not technical)

RX9
03-15-2008, 07:33 PM
is it due to the fact that synthetic oils are thinner the conventional oil and it can leak off the turbo seals & cause exhaust smog? (don't frame me if I'm totally wrong, I'm new to the mazda community and not technical)

if its 5W30, the thickness should be the same as regular 5W30, right? thats the same question as like, 1 ton steel and 1 ton air, which is heavier?

Flagrum_3
03-15-2008, 08:10 PM
the letter she said was for synthetic oil...saying not to use it on that engine...it would void the warranty.

Joe i will call you in a minute!

Did you actually see this letter or was it just her telling you her rendition of what it said? ......I would be quite surprised if such info or such a letter was true or existed, that it would not have been sent to all MazdaSpeed owners.

I thought we had been thru all this in another post!! Just use 5w30 oil in your Speed, and don't worry about using synthetic, it definitely will not void any warranty...that you can take to the bank..I have yet to hear of anyone loosing their manufacturers warranty on the grounds of using synthetic oil, I believe it is a falicy.

_3

JashiK
03-15-2008, 08:14 PM
easiest thing to do is call up Mazda Canada.

mleblond
03-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Did you actually see this letter or was it just her telling you her rendition of what it said? ......I would be quite surprised if such info or such a letter was true or existed, that it would not have been sent to all MazdaSpeed owners.

I thought we had been thru all this in another post!! Just use 5w30 oil in your Speed, and don't worry about using synthetic, it definitely will not void any warranty...that you can take to the bank..I have yet to hear of anyone loosing their manufacturers warranty on the grounds of using synthetic oil, I believe it is a falicy.

_3

Lady told me to call Mazda Canada if I did not believe her..

easiest thing to do is call up Mazda Canada.

I will call them on monday

RX9
03-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Lady told me to call Mazda Canada if I did not believe her..

if you have her name and work ID#, she gonna have a big trouble.:pop

mleblond
03-15-2008, 09:14 PM
if you have her name and work ID#, she gonna have a big trouble.:pop

she gave me her biz card ;)

silvermist99
03-16-2008, 09:08 PM
if its 5W30, the thickness should be the same as regular 5W30, right? thats the same question as like, 1 ton steel and 1 ton air, which is heavier?

synthetic are more 'slippery' then regular oil. They have better heat properties too. The myth is when people switch to synthetic on older cars with higher mileage, it is pretty common for them to leak through the seals/burn oil since those engine seals have been used to the old stuff.

REZXPERT
03-16-2008, 09:39 PM
I am going crazy over this. Performance Mazda in Ottawa just told me to use 5W20 non-synthetic oil on the speed. She said there was a letter sent out 2 months ago saying that if you use synthetic oil on the speed that it would void your warranty...
I was told to use 5w30 from other guys on this forum...

Really don't know what to do and have my Royal Purple 5w20 that I need to know if I keep or bring back to the store...

Please Help!

I will call another mazda dealer in the meantime...

It would suck to lose my 5 year warranty....over this bs

personally, i think that's a load of crap.
i have a contact @ Mazda Canada who i'll try to get in touch w/ tomorrow to shed light on this.

midnightfxgt
03-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Total BS.... I am sure of it. It does not state anything in the owners manual etc against using Synthetic. I would call up if your worried too. Heck, call Joe... he works at a dealer, and can tell you if they got the same notice. My guess is no :)

mleblond
03-17-2008, 01:19 AM
yeah I called Joe, he never heard of such a letter. This service advisor (Rosanne Kirby) is full of it IMO but still put a doubt in my mind...I will call Mazda Canada tomorrow if Rezxpert doesnt do it before me.

Funny how it says on her card..."Nobody knows Mazda like Performance Mazda"...I've never had trouble with them in the past but I guess what you don't know doesn't hurt....

REZXPERT
03-17-2008, 10:07 AM
yeah I called Joe, he never heard of such a letter. This service advisor (Rosanne Kirby) is full of it IMO but still put a doubt in my mind...I will call Mazda Canada tomorrow if Rezxpert doesnt do it before me.

Funny how it says on her card..."Nobody knows Mazda like Performance Mazda"...I've never had trouble with them in the past but I guess what you don't know doesn't hurt....

... just waiting for a reply from Mazda Canada. i'll keep you posted.

REZXPERT
03-17-2008, 10:13 AM
here's my question: i'm currently running synthetic. used it for two oil changes only. will reverting back to 5W30 be a problem? do i need a flush before i do that?

seriously, did anyone here notice that much of a performance difference using synthetic?
personally, not a helluva lot to justify the cost difference. just me talkin.

Garu
03-17-2008, 10:29 AM
I don't really notice anything by using synthetic oil.
For me it's more of hype thing. Because everybody else is using it, I'm using it also.

You don't need to flush if you go back to regular 5W30 oil.

This summer I'm gonna try 5W40, I find 5W30 loses its viscosity super fast in scorching hot summer days.

REZXPERT
03-17-2008, 10:33 AM
I don't really notice anything by using synthetic oil.
For me it's more of hype thing. Because everybody else is using it, I'm using it also.

You don't need to flush if you go back to regular 5W30 oil.

This summer I'm gonna try 5W40, I find 5W30 loses its viscosity super fast in scorching hot summer days.

Yaris doesn't recommend synthetic, Garu:chuckle

CanadaGTO
03-17-2008, 10:37 AM
I don't think Synthetic is a performance adder as much as it is an engine protection item.

Google "why synthetic oil" for a LOT more info.

mleblond
03-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Joe @ MoT did tell me that if I went with Synthetic oil that I had to stick with it and not switch back... Maybe he could comment on that...I could of understood wrong.

Garu
03-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Yaris doesn't recommend synthetic, Garu:chuckle

I guess you haven't read this post yet. :chuckle:chuckle
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=270145&postcount=213
:gone

REZXPERT
03-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Joe @ MoT did tell me that if I went with Synthetic oil that I had to stick with it and not switch back... Maybe he could comment on that...I could of understood wrong.

but does that apply to extent of synthetic use as well, ie, using it twice vs two years of using it?

oneurt
03-17-2008, 11:22 AM
hmm all those myths and worries about oil is such crap. If synthetic oil was such a bad thing, dealerships would not offer it. Most higher end vehicles come from the factory with synthetic oil in them.

I'm also running synthetic oil now(got it free from my friend at toyota 5W30 synthetic). But seriously though oil has one purpose and that's to lubricate the engine. the added bonus of synthetic is that its less likely to break down under more extreme conditions.

Bah these oil myths and rumors are such shenanigans.

P.S why do most service advisors not know anything about the vehicles they are suppose to be advising on?? It's just so frustrating when you come in( someone with some actual wrenching experience) and they try to throw BS lines like this at you. I called the dealership in my area "Regina" and the service advisor told me I couldn't fit 16" rims on my car for winter. bahaha. I go and call another dealership and I get the OK saying they'll fit fine. (thanks for some real advise, and not trying to be a salesman). /end rant lol

theurgy
03-17-2008, 11:55 AM
mleblond: I didn't know you were in Ottawa. Either way, Performance Mazda's techs are not the brightest in town.... call the guys at Kanata Mazda for Carling Mazda. They'll give you the straight scoop.

mleblond
03-17-2008, 12:17 PM
mleblond: I didn't know you were in Ottawa. Either way, Performance Mazda's techs are not the brightest in town.... call the guys at Kanata Mazda for Carling Mazda. They'll give you the straight scoop.

I'm all over the place man! Sponsors should give me free stuff for exchange of publicity on my car :)

But I also called Bank Mazda and the are worst IMO. So I figured MoT was the best and called Joe! (Thanks again Joe :))

midnightfxgt
03-17-2008, 12:44 PM
You can switch back for sure. There is an old myth out there about not being able to switch back from syn to dino... but why bother? Like Pat said, its not something you will notice in every day driving. Its added protection for your motor :)

RX9
03-17-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm all over the place man! Sponsors should give me free stuff for exchange of publicity on my car :)

But I also called Bank Mazda and the are worst IMO. So I figured MoT was the best and called Joe! (Thanks again Joe :))

TM3 is the best, not only MOT.:chuckle

mleblond
03-17-2008, 12:53 PM
TM3 is the best, not only MOT.:chuckle

TM3 is the best thing that happen to Mazda 3 in Canada. Mazda Canada should recognize it!

07Speedfreak
03-17-2008, 02:02 PM
mleblond: I didn't know you were in Ottawa.

x2
:bana

theurgy
03-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Anyhow I don't see any reason why someone would recommend not using synthetic.
I mean I can understand if it's a new car, and you're still using the break-in oil.
Also I think she was probably referring to a notice with regards to synthetic and rotaries.

REZXPERT
03-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Anyhow I don't see any reason why someone would recommend not using synthetic.
I mean I can understand if it's a new car, and you're still using the break-in oil.
Also I think she was probably referring to a notice with regards to synthetic and rotaries.

or maybe she was referring to her synthetic nails

unnervingfalcon
03-18-2008, 11:45 PM
I own a 97 Probe GT and noticed a difference when running full Syn. The biggest difference is at start up in cold weather. This is what it said on the Castrol site.

Key Benefits
No leading motor oil provide more horsepower (10W-30 as tested vs. leading competitive 10W-30S)
SYNTEC provides superior protection against deposits. Corrosive particles such as acid, soot and oxidized fuel fragments can cause costly damage to critical engine parts.
SYNTEC contains a Powerful Additive Package that neutralizes corrosive particles, preventing them from grouping together and forming sludge.
Neutralizes acids in your engine that can cause rust and corrosion on vital engine parts such as cylinders, bearings and hydraulic valve lifters.
SYNTEC meets the world's toughest gasoline engine protection requirements.
SYNTEC provides Stability & Endurance under extreme conditions (heat, load, speed) that can cause conventional oils to break down.
SYNTEC delivers the ultimate performance under high-temperature conditions: unsurpassed protection against volatility burn-off and viscosity increase.
SYNTEC can be used with confidence in every gasoline engine passenger car, new or old, regardless of oil previously used.
SYNTEC is fully compatible with all conventional and synthetic oils.
SYNTEC offers a level of protection that Outperforms All Leading Conventional Oils, passing severe industry torture tests.

midnightfxgt
03-18-2008, 11:48 PM
^^^^ Yup, Castrol will make it sound like the best stuff on earth. Marketing at its finest :)

I ran Synthetic in my old boosted 93 Probe GT. Even when stock motor, it ran better.

-John

unnervingfalcon
03-18-2008, 11:58 PM
^^^^ Yup, Castrol will make it sound like the best stuff on earth. Marketing at its finest :)

I ran Synthetic in my old boosted 93 Probe GT. Even when stock motor, it ran better.

-John

I moved slowly to full syn. .... I started with the blend. I plan on selling my mod 97 GT as soon as I get my ms3.

midnightfxgt
03-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Probe GTs are super fun cars. I miss mine from time to time. Once you go boost its hard to go back... its the sole reason I boosted the MZ3. Difference is the PGT is MUCH harder to boost.

I would say break in the MS3 with dino oil, and after break in, go nuts with syn. Your motor will love you.

unnervingfalcon
03-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Probe GTs are super fun cars. I miss mine from time to time. Once you go boost its hard to go back... its the sole reason I boosted the MZ3. Difference is the PGT is MUCH harder to boost.

I would say break in the MS3 with dino oil, and after break in, go nuts with syn. Your motor will love you.

Think I might go with Syn Blend.... it said on the Castrol site that Syn Blend is what you need if you do a lot of short drives which I would be doing. I work only 7 min away from my home.

theurgy
03-19-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm still in that break-in period with my MS3 (1800Km) but I'm wondering when I can consider my engine to be broken in. Usually at what mileage should I change out my break-in oil and switch o the Royal Purple synthetic. I'm told if it's too early that could be bad as the point of break-in oil is to cause friction and make the engine settle.

mleblond
03-19-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm still in that break-in period with my MS3 (1800Km) but I'm wondering when I can consider my engine to be broken in. Usually at what mileage should I change out my break-in oil and switch o the Royal Purple synthetic. I'm told if it's too early that could be bad as the point of break-in oil is to cause friction and make the engine settle.

I'm at 4200km and will do it next week!

RX9
03-19-2008, 11:08 AM

not more than 3000km.

Unoriginalusername
03-19-2008, 11:23 AM
i didn't go synthetic until 12,000.

12,000 synthetic

was my schedule

theurgy
03-19-2008, 12:27 PM
So you changed to semi-synthetic blend at 1000KM/3000KM/8000KM and then went full synthetic at 12,000KM?

Unoriginalusername
03-19-2008, 12:33 PM
So you changed to semi-synthetic blend at 1000KM/3000KM/8000KM and then went full synthetic at 12,000KM?

no just normal oil until 12k

theurgy
03-19-2008, 12:46 PM
OK... but I've read that the initial oil in our cars isn't conventional.. it's a synth blend.
Either way... I'm gonna change at 3000KM to full synthetic... I feel that's probably about right.

JashiK
03-19-2008, 03:37 PM
any updates from Mazda Canada?

mleblond
03-19-2008, 03:55 PM
I just Called them and they basically said. We won't recommend anything other than whats in the manual. Also that if something breaks and can be blamed on the oil type then warranty is off.

She also mentioned that the letter does not exist.

Also told me that the mazdaspeed3 manual is the same as the Mazda 3.

I will talk to the guys at my Kingston Mazda when i go in for the oil change next week.

CanadaGTO
03-19-2008, 04:09 PM
........Also told me that the mazdaspeed3 manual is the same as the Mazda 3......

That's true. It clearly states in the manual that non-turbo charged vehicles take 5W20 and turbo charged vehicles take 5W30.

mleblond
03-19-2008, 07:35 PM
That's true. It clearly states in the manual that non-turbo charged vehicles take 5W20 and turbo charged vehicles take 5W30.

Thanks Pat

Also took an appointment at for my oil change and Wayne (the service manager) told me it was not recommended to use synthetic oil...but said it's my call!

Speedy2008
03-29-2008, 03:54 AM
Lots of conflicting viewpoints throughout. Sounds like synthetic oil is somewhat of a marketing ploy. Conventional oil appears to satisfy all engine lube requirements in much the same way as full synth/synth blend. I'm due for my 1st oil change. Time to get rid of the break-in oil. What's the consensus among Speed 3 owners?

mleblond
03-29-2008, 07:44 AM
got mine done few days ago....Royal purple 5W30 Syn....love it! Performance...negligible (so far...been only 3 days) but peace of mind definitely!

! was at 4600km when this happened....

alhope34
03-29-2008, 08:35 AM
My first change was at 1700kms (right after break-in), then I switched to a full synthetic at 8000kms.

justblaze
03-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Has anyone tried Amsoil 5w40 (Euro Formula) in thier Speed3. I was considering running this oil this summer. The spec say that it was designed for turbo direct injection engines. I believe that it was geared towards the Audi A3 Direct Injection at first and that it will not burn off as quick in the high summer temps.