PDA

View Full Version : Things I should keep an eye out for when buy used springs?

Dragazn
03-19-2008, 01:47 PM
I would like to know what to look for or be aware of when purchasing used springs. Rust? Cracks?

Im a noob at this stuff and was looking for some input. Thanks

Noisy Crow
03-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Springs are pretty hard to damage. Rust isn't a problem unless it is severe - light surface rust is okay. Heavy rust or severe pitting could weaken a spring. You should look for kinks or bends, cracks, nicks, or if the spring has been cut (shortened).

mogul_pro
03-20-2008, 10:35 AM
People are selling "new" springs they have purchased but never installed on the buy/sell section for pretty cheap.. say a set of prokits going for around 200 in the box... better off picking something like that up vs ones that have been installed and beaten around.. and probly save less than a hundred bucks..

cwp_sedan
03-20-2008, 10:42 AM
People are selling "new" springs they have purchased but never installed on the buy/sell section for pretty cheap.. say a set of prokits going for around 200 in the box... better off picking something like that up vs ones that have been installed and beaten around.. and probly save less than a hundred bucks..

All the springs currently in the buy/sell are used...

RX9
03-20-2008, 10:45 AM
buy a new one if you have this knid question, at lease you have warranty on the new one, peace of mind.

p-o-g-i
03-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Rule of thumb... if you're not sure of used springs; don't get them.
Mind you I purchased used springs, but I felt more then confortable with the set and I feel I know enough on my end what to look for in used parts.

FLIPDADY
03-20-2008, 01:18 PM
All the spring I've had on my 3 have been used.

All S-Tech's with no problems at all.

mogul_pro
03-20-2008, 03:11 PM
All the spring I've had on my 3 have been used.

All S-Tech's with no problems at all.

You haev had more than one set of the same spring? Just curious as to why if so...

sauga_kid
03-20-2008, 03:35 PM
^I believe Joe parted out when he was going to put his ride on the market but decided otherwise and I guess he wanted the drop again and scooped up another set. I might be wrong?