PDA

View Full Version : S2000 Gauge cluster in an MZ3

Greg_r
03-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this post should be here, or in Interior & Trim (mods can move this if needed). I was wondering how complicated it would be to retrofit an s2000 gauge cluster into an MZ3?

The reason I'm asking is because my cousin (clubrsx.com member) has just gotten one for his RSX-S, and we're gonna try to retrofit it into his soon.

http://www.marklamond.co.uk/products/s2000/media/2000-2.jpg

I know it can pretty much be swapped easily within Honda cars (i.e. into a DC5, DC2 (RSX and Integra), or even CRXs etc.), and I've seen them fitted into EVOs, but I don't know how easily (or how hard) it would be to hook everything up.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Other gauge clusters?
I'm not worried about custom fabrication, I'm more worried about the actual wiring.

I know you'll have to buy a VSS adaptor, and a temp sensor adaptor (available possibly from www.dscustoms.com), but what about other lights (check engine, alternator light, etc, etc.)

Anyone have any ideas?

This is just a "what if I could..." kinda brainstorming question, and believe me I've searched where I thought was good, and I came up with not much info. Hopefully I don't sound like too much of a noob :P

baymoe
03-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Rice! lol... only playing
Personally prefer the look of our stock gauges. Can't stand the digital readouts.

Greg_r
03-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Rice! lol... only playing
Personally prefer the look of our stock gauges. Can't stand the digital readouts.

Haha ya, I can see why you'd say that...

I dunno - I'm going for a race-look, so I wanted to see how easy this is/could be (or not) before I attempt anything (or shell out $$$). Ideally I'd be changing some colors in there too - my planned summer project or something, we'll see.

RX9
03-21-2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.marklamond.co.uk/misc/s2000/dash1.jpg

totally not easy, after see all these.lol....

3GFX
03-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Probably can be done with a lot of electronic work. I don't know what would be involved, but where there's a will (and a wallet) there's a way.

Skarbro
03-21-2008, 07:53 PM

Holy crap that looks like a lot of work.

p-o-g-i
03-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Super props to you if you pull this off!!!!!!!!

Greg_r
03-21-2008, 11:40 PM

Haha ya - didn't see that pic on his site... :whoa

My cousin's already ordered one for his RSX (somehow he sniped one on ebay for 100 bucks...). When we have it, I'll prolly do some test wiring (both in his car and mine), and see what can be done. It'll be a lot easier going in his RSX, that's for sure...

I'll keep you guys posted.

FLIPDADY
03-22-2008, 08:28 AM
I would say nearly impossible since you'll have to get it to work with the 3's immobilizer system which involves programming at the dealership. I remember a lot of the Honda clusters being able to interchange just by plug-and-play(SiR and Type-R).

Then again why would you want your 3's dash to look like a Honda?

mogul_pro
03-22-2008, 09:07 AM
I like our stock cluster.... if I could change ONE thing, I would put the tach on the right speedo on the left... when I am holding the wheel with my left hand I want to see the tach clearly on the right not have it semi-blocked with my hand... oh well

Greg_r
03-22-2008, 10:05 PM
I would say nearly impossible since you'll have to get it to work with the 3's immobilizer system which involves programming at the dealership. I remember a lot of the Honda clusters being able to interchange just by plug-and-play(SiR and Type-R).

Then again why would you want your 3's dash to look like a Honda?

I'm not sure what you mean - what does the gauge cluster have to do with the immobilizer system? Doesn't the immobilizer system tie into the ignition? How does it route through the gauge cluster?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would potentially be like trying to hook up an aftermarker gauge system (kinda sorta...).

3GFX
03-23-2008, 11:27 PM
I would honestly just make a custome DEFI gauge cluster, it might even be easier!

kaval
03-24-2008, 03:03 AM
I was on another forum and there's a guy that is doing some S2000 gauge conversion kits. He mentioned that he can get the kits done for other cars as well (other than Honda). It's worth a shot...shoot him an email, his name is Bruno. Reputable member on Honda-Tech and JDMRides.ca. He's from Magnus Motorsports.

bruno@club5252.com

icecubetray
03-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Our stock cluster provides the CAN communication bus gateway between the ECU and the OBD port.....not that it particularly matters that much.....but....

I would guess that most of the data regarding speed, mileage and RPM etc is all going to be sent to the cluster via the high speed can bus......which is pivotal to the function of the car and other modules within the car to communicate with the ecu.....like the air bag module.....vehicle speed sensor.....etc.

The Can protocol on this high speed bus is going to be a custom layer on top of the CAN protocol......and since mazda isn't going to want you to muck around with the mileage messages......these messages are going to likely be unknown and unpublished......or maybe the cluster just calculates mileage based on speed....I really don't know

The S2000 is likely going to use CAN as well but its messages could vary because different companies can have their own propriatary message structure on top of the CAN protocol. So it may work between honda and acura......as I think they are essentially the same company......and shared technology.

But I would guess that mazda has their own flavour. You would likely need to figure out which messages are used for speed rpm etc on the mazda and then find the same respective messages on the RSX........then develop a micro with two CAN transceivers to convert the messages between mazda and rsx......

So you would need a CAN analyzer........and lots of time........staring at a ugly screens full of bytes.....just to figure out the messages.....

Its possible, but it would be a painful process.....

Hopefully someone has already figured it out for you :)

Greg_r
03-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Our stock cluster provides the CAN communication bus gateway between the ECU and the OBD port.....not that it particularly matters that much.....but....

I would guess that most of the data regarding speed, mileage and RPM etc is all going to be sent to the cluster via the high speed can bus......which is pivotal to the function of the car and other modules within the car to communicate with the ecu.....like the air bag module.....vehicle speed sensor.....etc.

The Can protocol on this high speed bus is going to be a custom layer on top of the CAN protocol......and since mazda isn't going to want you to muck around with the mileage messages......these messages are going to likely be unknown and unpublished......or maybe the cluster just calculates mileage based on speed....I really don't know

The S2000 is likely going to use CAN as well but its messages could vary because different companies can have their own propriatary message structure on top of the CAN protocol. So it may work between honda and acura......as I think they are essentially the same company......and shared technology.

But I would guess that mazda has their own flavour. You would likely need to figure out which messages are used for speed rpm etc on the mazda and then find the same respective messages on the RSX........then develop a micro with two CAN transceivers to convert the messages between mazda and rsx......

So you would need a CAN analyzer........and lots of time........staring at a ugly screens full of bytes.....just to figure out the messages.....

Its possible, but it would be a painful process.....

Hopefully someone has already figured it out for you :)

Well thanks for the info - that's a great heads-up. I'll see what I can do - we haven't gotten the cluster, but at least now I'll be a lot more cautious about what I do if/when I try and hook it up in the MZ3.

I'll also contact that other guy at the 5252 forum. Thanks guys.

Greg_r
04-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Update (if anyone's interested)

My cousin managed to get the S2K cluster working pretty well in his RSX.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=520682&page=5

He just has a few more indicators to wire up (hi-beam-on light and prolly one other one).

While he was doing this - I was looking over what kind of adaptor units I'd need and the wiring involved to get this into an Mz3, and I came to a couple of realizations:

The adaptors he got (VSS adaptor and ECT gauge adaptor) were made to adapt any gauge to any car - and they work really well. You can customize and tune them relatively easily (the ECT adaptor required a serial hookup to my laptop - that was it). So this would be feasible.

The colors can be easily changed if you can get yourself on the right color film. All you have to do is change a color plate inside the gauge. You can see that my cousin changed the colors (in that post above), and they match his interior really well

The only caveat would be the immobilizer system in the cluster. I was thinking one way around this is to keep the immobilizer wired (somehow) inline to the system, and then hid it (either still attached to the cluster, or not) somewhere in the car.

BUT this also costs lots of money (~200 for the cluster + ~150 for the adaptors) and LOTS of time figuring out wiring... (took my cousin about 3 weeks in between classes to do this, and I helped out ~25% of the time)

So for now, this project is on hold...

I've gotta say tho - IMO this would look pretty good.

Greg_r
04-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Update (if anyone's interested)

The only caveat would be the immobilizer system in the cluster. I was thinking one way around this is to keep the immobilizer wired (somehow) inline to the system, and then hid it (either still attached to the cluster, or not) somewhere in the car.

edit: "... the immobilizer system in the MZ3 cluster..."

Aceius
04-21-2008, 10:04 PM
nice square wave on the oscilliscope :chuckle