PDA

View Full Version : Question about aftermarket head unit

MZDASPED
04-01-2008, 04:50 AM
I have a Pioneer Avic-N3 which I took from my last car and want to put it in the Speed 3. I know there is a kit available and that the display will no longer work for radio, but will it at least retain my time/info and climate controls? If not what options do I have. I miss having that deck.

kid_icarus
04-01-2008, 03:07 PM
I have a Pioneer Avic-N3 which I took from my last car and want to put it in the Speed 3. I know there is a kit available and that the display will no longer work for radio, but will it at least retain my time/info and climate controls? If not what options do I have. I miss having that deck.

the jdm kit allows you to retain automatic climate controls
but you will lose time/info
basically on the right side of the screen will work

or if you go with the metra kit... i believe it might disable everything and you'll just be left with a hole that you'll need to somehow modifiy to keep the screen there otherwise like i said before it'll be a hole
the metra kit doesn't have the best mounting brackets either

so you can go jdm or you can go metra...
there are probably some other brands too probbaly but these are the two most popular options

RX9
04-01-2008, 06:16 PM
add to above, you can DIY a "shelf" to hold the little info LCD with cheaper kit (do the same job as JDM kit). but there will be only climate control info left.

Noisy Crow
04-01-2008, 07:25 PM
the jdm kit allows you to retain automatic climate controls
but you will lose time/info
basically on the right side of the screen will work

On the '04 and '05 the time display was managed by the audio unit. On the '06 and up it's managed by the display unit itself.

See here for backup:
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda3/bulletin/09-012-06-1548.pdf

kid_icarus
04-01-2008, 07:43 PM
ooh so time will still work? i haven't seen a mazdaspeed 3 picture with the the time and the automatic climate control working at the same time?

MZDASPED
04-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Nice!!! Yeah I had looked at the Metra and didnt really like it all that much. I am gonna go google the JDM one, as it sounds very promising after seeing that service bulletin posted below. I have a 2008.5 so hopefully everything will continue to work. Thanks alot guys!!! :)

RX9
04-02-2008, 10:56 AM
On the '04 and '05 the time display was managed by the audio unit. On the '06 and up it's managed by the display unit itself.

See here for backup:
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda3/bulletin/09-012-06-1548.pdf

how can you adjust the time without stock head unit?

Noisy Crow
04-02-2008, 11:13 AM
how can you adjust the time without stock head unit?

I assume that you keep the buttons as well as the display...

kid_icarus
04-02-2008, 11:56 AM
I assume that you keep the buttons as well as the display...

most double din kits replace that area with all the info buttons and clock and etc....
i don't know of any that actually leave that area untouched for the stock buttons to remain

MZDASPED
04-02-2008, 12:58 PM
The Avic-N3 is actually single DIN deck though. I think the metra may actually work as they have a new model on there site (99-7504) that actually comes up when u select Mazdaspeed 3. It also says it will retain the factory climate controls. If what was said below about the time being controlled by the display, then that should stay as well. The only thing is I dont think the colour matches the dash.

MZDASPED
04-03-2008, 10:56 PM
I have tried looking everywhere for a place that sells the JDM Dash kit and have had no luck at all. Does anyone have a link? Thanks!