PDA

View Full Version : Blow Off Valve

MZDASPED
04-04-2008, 12:49 PM
I was talking to my friend the other day who has a WRX STI and he said if he puts a blow off valve on his car it will actually decrese the boost. I want to put one on the speed 3 but if thats gonna happen, I would rather not.

mleblond
04-04-2008, 12:52 PM
I though it was supposed to make the boost last longer?! "hold the boost"

mit-gee-mui
04-04-2008, 12:56 PM
I am not sure whether you are asking a question or not.

Here is what some members had to say about the blow off valve.

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21419&highlight=blow+valve

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=20474&highlight=bov+boost

REZXPERT
04-04-2008, 01:01 PM
there are massive amounts of BOV threads if not here, then on the american mazda forums. seek & ye shall find:)

i owned one (Turbosmart Dual Port), didn't do wonders performance-wise. from my reading & experience on our car, our peanut-sized stock turbo doesn't exploit the benefits of a BOV. i'll let the resident mechanics correct me if i'm wrong.

Unoriginalusername
04-04-2008, 02:47 PM
forge bpv would be the only one i would get not that i am suggesting it is a worth while mod but whatever floats your boat.

pat has all kinds for a good price if your interested

kid_icarus
04-04-2008, 02:59 PM
there are massive amounts of BOV threads if not here, then on the american mazda forums. seek & ye shall find:)

i owned one (Turbosmart Dual Port), didn't do wonders performance-wise. from my reading & experience on our car, our peanut-sized stock turbo doesn't exploit the benefits of a BOV. i'll let the resident mechanics correct me if i'm wrong.

no wonder you sold it to me!!!!
lol

Fobio
04-04-2008, 04:42 PM
I suggest reading up on BOV/BPV and their ACTUAL FUNCTION before making the decision...DO NOT BASE YOUR DECISION ON YOUR FLIPPING EARS!!! BOV/BPV are not aesthetic mods...they peform a specific mechanical function, and if you think that function is to make the "psst, psst" sound, then my friend, you need to play more need for speed...hehehe...

alhope34
04-06-2008, 10:52 AM
I have the Forge BPV on my car and I noticed less boost loss between gears right away. BPV and BOV both do the same thing, let the back pressure off the turbo when you shift or suddenly let off the gas, but without fuel cut a BOV will bog the engine down. BOV's vent to air, so the turbo is still pulling in massive amounts of air through the MAF sensor, so the computer thinks the engine is still burning all that air and keeps dumping huge amounts of fuel into the engine. A BPV re-circulates the air through the intake, so it doesn't pass through the MAF sensor again, so the computer won't see that massive amount of air being brought through the MAF. It bypasses the MAF, hence being called a bypass valve instead of blow off valve. Hope this made sense.

MZDASPED
04-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Thanks alot guys!!! 'alhope34' you answered my question perfectly. That is exactly what I want. I do admit that one of the reasons I wanted it was for the sound, but I did not wanna sacrafice boost for a stupid noise. lol. So this makes sense now. Does the BPV still give you the same kind of sound? Also where can I pick one of these up? Thanks! :)

alhope34
04-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks alot guys!!! 'alhope34' you answered my question perfectly. That is exactly what I want. I do admit that one of the reasons I wanted it was for the sound, but I did not wanna sacrafice boost for a stupid noise. lol. So this makes sense now. Does the BPV still give you the same kind of sound? Also where can I pick one of these up? Thanks! :)

The BPV doesn't give the same type of sound, it's more like a metallic ping. It's still loud, my friends say they can hear the valve all the way up the road, but to be loud you need a cold air intake like I have. This is a video of the BPV and CAI combo just after I put it in, windows were down.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c63/alhope34/th_PICT0026.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c63/alhope34/?action=view&current=PICT0026.flv)

Fobio
04-07-2008, 11:49 AM
hey allan...I'm at work, so I can't chk out the video...I'm just wondering, that "ping" sound...is that the infamous "I've got a blacksmith working under my hood" sound?

believe me...one of the first things I've read about was the BOV/BPV issue, and it seems to be more work than it's worth, particularly if you have to adjust the pressure plate yourself. how are you finding it compared to stock?

Garu
04-07-2008, 12:03 PM
hey allan...I'm at work, so I can't chk out the video...I'm just wondering, that "ping" sound...is that the infamous "I've got a blacksmith working under my hood" sound?

believe me...one of the first things I've read about was the BOV/BPV issue, and it seems to be more work than it's worth, particularly if you have to adjust the pressure plate yourself. how are you finding it compared to stock?

It really depends on the manufacturer what kind of sound you will have under the hood.
For Forge BPV, it's metal to metal 'ping' sound, (it sounds more like a whistle when you have your windows rolled down.) which many people hates. I laughed at it at first every time I heard it but now I'm quite used to it.

But really, there are times I would like to rip it away and put the stock one back on.

alhope34
04-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Yea, it's like the blacksmith sound. And what work? I just put it on, tightened it up, and that's that.

cosic
09-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Right now, really looking into a HKS SSQV. Just want to bring this thread back to hear some quick mixed reviews on this BOV and its competitors. How easy is installation and what not aswell?

Wild Weasel
09-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Isn't that a VTA BOV?

Isn't this thread and every other thread about MS3 BOV's saying that you shouldn't use a VTA BOV but, rather, a recirculating BPV?

kid_icarus
09-12-2008, 09:49 AM
i have a turbosmart as purchased off a member here
and have had it doing both vta under high pressure and recirculate under low

i plan on hardening it up so it only recirculates
probably going to do that tonight when i'm at jimmy's

spd frk
11-04-2008, 03:46 PM
I have the HKS SSQV. I ran it recirc for a little while, then I switched it to VTA. Frankly there is hardly a difference. Occasionally I get a smidge of a stumble when using light throttle going into boost then shifting with only a small amount of boost built up. Otherwise if you are driving lieasurly or hauling ass it functions fine.