PDA

View Full Version : How do you take off road TAR?

phoenix_bladen
04-07-2008, 02:10 AM
What stuff do you use ?

and where to buy ?

How do you use it ?

cause like i see some shit on my car and it's white so it can be noticable when you're close up.......and it looks like that rust type of colour you know that orangely yellowish stuff?

thanks

kaval
04-07-2008, 02:27 AM
- Stoner's Tar Remover
- Prepsol

Are you 100% sure it's road tar? From the way you describe it, it sounds like embedded fine metal particles that are starting to rust, hence the rust colour you mention. If that's the case, you should clay bar the area to remove the contaminants. If they are still there after a couple of clay bar treatments, you should polish them out with a machine polisher.

Hope that helps!

phoenix_bladen
04-07-2008, 02:29 AM
yea you know what i don't really know what it is...

it's like as tiny as a sesame and it's like orangely but like if you lightly kinda scratch it out it comes off.

mit-gee-mui
04-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Are you sure it's not tree sap?

Or rail dust (as kaval mentioned above)?

ZeroChalk
04-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Klasse AIO does wonders... Claybar is what you need.

Kevin@nextmod
04-07-2008, 12:30 PM
^^ yea.... clay bar is what you need. Just wait for a warm day and wash your car with lots of soapy water and start your 1 hour clay job. Make sure your car is not dry when you use clay bar and make sure you wax your car after claying

Seliina
04-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Sounds like rail dust to me. I have road tar on my car and it's black - a big huge black glob of it!

Would the hand degreaser mechanics use work to remove it? Or Goo Gone?

Without ruining the paint, of course...

Flagrum_3
04-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Sounds like rail dust to me. I have road tar on my car and it's black - a big huge black glob of it!

Would the hand degreaser mechanics use work to remove it? Or Goo Gone?

Without ruining the paint, of course...

Goo Gone is okay but I'd suggest you go with Kaval's first choice for the tar, but you'll have to wax the area afterward has it will strip off any wax also.

_3

phoenix_bladen
04-07-2008, 11:41 PM
yea you know what ? it might be tree sap

i mean like it's same as a DOT.... and like i can take it off with my nails

ALTHOUGH i don't wann do that cause

1) it will ruin the paint and scratch my car.

2) and if it didn't it would still take forever lol.

so yea maybe i could take a close pic soon when the weather is warmer or something

but yea i'll try the tar remover stuff and wax of course!

phoenix_bladen
04-07-2008, 11:42 PM
yea it's definitely not black so i dunno what it is ......

kaval
04-07-2008, 11:51 PM
On second thought, I would try going with IPA. Just take a cotton swab and saturate it with isopropyl alcohol. Let it penetrate the buildup, and then wipe it off with a microfibre towel. Should save you some money too. Just remember to wax your car after as you've stripped all protective oils from the paint by wiping it with IPA.

phoenix_bladen
04-08-2008, 12:06 AM
oohhh

IPA ? what is that ? and where do i buy it?

is isopropyl alcohol the IPA ?

kaval
04-08-2008, 02:54 PM
yep
IPA - Isopropyl Alcohol. Pick it up from the dollar store.

Or even if you have those presoaked packets for wounds, you can use that.

phoenix_bladen
04-09-2008, 12:59 AM
the IPA won't ruin paint or anything like that right?'

do i have to wax it afterwords again ?

kaval
04-09-2008, 01:33 AM
IPA will not ruin the paint. When I do details on cars, I always wipe down the car with IPA, or a product called Prepsol, which is stronger than IPA, to remove any of the oils in the polish. This will clean the paint fully so that the wax can bond to the paint without anything blocking it (like those polishing oils). Also, by removing the oils, I can tell if the defects that I am polishing out are ACTUALLY removed, and not just filled in with the heavy oils found in some of the polishes and compounds.

You will have to wax it afterwards because you will be removing any oils from the paint.