phoenix_bladen
04-09-2008, 01:21 AM
Hi

i'm looking for a good clay bar kit

any suggestions?

thanks

kaval
04-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Depends on how contaminated your paint is. I use Meguiar's consumer grade clay (found in their over-the-counter kits) on mildly contaminated paints such as new cars, and Riccardo's Clay for more heavily contaminated finishes.

Check out eShine for clay bars. I'm not sure if they have the Meg's consumer grade clay though.

oni
04-11-2008, 12:44 PM
if u need it asap, check out meguiars clay kit @ c.t. for 26.99$ Agincourt has 10 in stock. <-- I know cuz I was hunting in down and my local ct doesn't have any.

Flagrum_3
04-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Depends on how contaminated your paint is. I use Meguiar's consumer grade clay (found in their over-the-counter kits) on mildly contaminated paints such as new cars, and Riccardo's Clay for more heavily contaminated finishes.

Check out eShine for clay bars. I'm not sure if they have the Meg's consumer grade clay though.

Kaval, you probably mentioned this somewhere but, what clay bar do you use when your detailing a customers car?

_3

theurgy
04-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Like Kaval said.. it depends on the task.
If it's claying on a relatively lightly contaminated car (meaning an upkept car) then the standard CT Meg's clay is good.. just don't use it on the regular but keep it to a semi yearly thing (as it is a little more abrasive than the fine detailers clay) and be sure to polish/wax (or polish, seal, wax) right after. Riccardo is a more abrasive aggressive clay good for tough jobs and overspray, and something like a Sonus Ultra Fine is a much more lighter clay good for touching up after an initial full clay is done.

However, again.. so long as you're not reclaying your car like every second week, the CT Meg's stuff is fine.

kaval
04-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Like Kaval said.. it depends on the task.
If it's claying on a relatively lightly contaminated car (meaning an upkept car) then the standard CT Meg's clay is good.. just don't use it on the regular but keep it to a semi yearly thing (as it is a little more abrasive than the fine detailers clay) and be sure to polish/wax (or polish, seal, wax) right after. Riccardo is a more abrasive aggressive clay good for tough jobs and overspray, and something like a Sonus Ultra Fine is a much more lighter clay good for touching up after an initial full clay is done.

However, again.. so long as you're not reclaying your car like every second week, the CT Meg's stuff is fine.

What he said!

SilentJay
04-13-2008, 12:16 PM
A little off topic, but how about fine scratches/swirl marks? Its almost waxing season again, but I wanted to get rid of those little buggers...

kaval
04-13-2008, 03:05 PM
A little off topic, but how about fine scratches/swirl marks? Its almost waxing season again, but I wanted to get rid of those little buggers...

To get rid of them, you will have to do some machine polishing. You can do it by hand, but you would then be filling the scratches because the hand motion does not generate the same heat, friction and motion of a machine which is required to break down the abrasives in the polish. This is why when you polish by hand, the swirls come back after a few washes (assuming proper washing & drying techniques).

theurgy
04-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Yeah what Kaval said, basically you first clean your car properly, then clay fully, and then with the use of a machine (Something like a Porter Cable 7424) a Mild Cutting pad and a swirl remover product (I generally use Poorboy's Super Swirl Remover 2.5) and work away the swirls from there. You localize by panel at a time and slowly work the abrasive in... then switch to a lighter pad and eventually work to a polish, sealant, glaze then wax.

Once done.. enjoy... but definitely learn to properly wash your car for the future and avoid swirls, keep properly waxing it and it should stay nice for ya.

If you need more info on how-to's check out:
http://www.eshine.ca/articles.php
Also check out:
http://autopia.org/forum/index.php