PDA

View Full Version : How you like your eggs?

JashiK
04-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Yesterday after driving to my gf's I left the car running while I was checking out my LED license plate lights and noticed an eggy smell coming from my exhaust.
Is this normal for any of you speed guys? I know it could be from the cat as many Toyotas suffer this smelly problem.
If this isn't normal because i never noticed it smelling like eggs what other things should I be looking for and what potential problems could it be?
Tonight after work i'll check to see if it smells again.

i'm guessin' my car likes 'em eggs rotten.

Skarbro
04-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Egg smell = Bad cat.

JashiK
04-09-2008, 12:48 PM
my car only has 12k. i'll check again to make sure it smells like it did yesterday.
at least it's under warranty if it's the cat. grr

Wild Weasel
04-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Sometimes new cats do this as well, though that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Wild Weasel
04-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Maybe I spoke too soon. That is reasonably new. It may well just go away on it's own. I wouldn't worry about it for the moment. See if it keeps it up for more than another week or two.

JashiK
04-09-2008, 12:51 PM
WW what smell is your car farting out? after a short drive?
i remember mine used to smell gasoline.

Wild Weasel
04-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Mine's usually a mixture of rich exhaust and cooked brake pads. :bana

JashiK
04-09-2008, 12:58 PM
heh...
i'll monitor it for a few weeks we'll see what happens...

Garu
04-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Yesterday after driving to my gf's I left the car running while I was checking out my LED license plate lights and noticed an eggy smell coming from my exhaust.
Is this normal for any of you speed guys? I know it could be from the cat as many Toyotas suffer this smelly problem.
If this isn't normal because i never noticed it smelling like eggs what other things should I be looking for and what potential problems could it be?
Tonight after work i'll check to see if it smells again.

i'm guessin' my car likes 'em eggs rotten.

Can you see apparent white/blue smoke from the exhaust if you let the car sit idle for awhile?

JashiK
04-09-2008, 01:08 PM
garu you're trying to sell me it's the turbo seals rightttttttttttt :P
i'll check this week...

Hives
04-09-2008, 01:09 PM
lol, funny title

Garu
04-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Well that foul eggy smell is one of the symptoms of the turbo seal.
Believe me, I was one of first few to get my turbo replaced.

JashiK
04-09-2008, 01:20 PM
i dunno what to hope. i guess i'd rather it a problem with the seals to have it replaced under warranty asap.
garu i remembered you told me about yours smoking. was it a lot of smoke?

Garu
04-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Like a choo choo train.
Let it see idle when you're engine is hot. Idle for about 30 secs, it start to puff out white smoke.
But don't get confused with condensation smoke when you first start up the car or when the weather is cold.

mEtH
05-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Changing up your octane level frequently can do it as well. Have you been using the same grade gas all the time?