PDA

View Full Version : OEM Mazdaspeed3 Exhuast

Carlisle
04-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Guys, last night i just installed the OEM Speed3 Exhaust on my mazda3 GT sedan.

And...... its a bit too loud for my liking. I do have a vibrant ultra quiet resonator in my house. If i were to install this resonator, would it decrease the noise level enough that it will be noticeably softer, or hardly any difference.

I'm debating whether i should take the exhaust off and sell it bc its too loud for my taste.

What do you guys think? or is there any other way to quiet down that drone/loudness?

PLEASE HELP! lol.

RX9
04-24-2008, 10:19 AM
yup, you should get 30% less.

Dragazn
04-24-2008, 10:22 AM
You should message WeatherB. I believe he had a OEM exhaust and the vibrant resonator. He should be able to tell you that.

Carlisle
04-24-2008, 11:37 AM
i actually bought the exhaust and resonator off of him lol

He said it would quite it down a bit, but i want to get others opinion.

I just want the exhaust to be quieter, but i don't want to take it off, as it looks sooo good.

Hope the resonator makes a noticeable difference.

eqlso
04-24-2008, 11:41 AM
I found it too loud in the beginning. But after awhile you sort of get used to it. The droning on the highway does get quite annoying however. So if you do a lot of highway driving, I would install it.

WeatherB
04-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Give it a week or two before removing it. I thought it was loud as well, but it really grew on me.

Unoriginalusername
04-24-2008, 12:37 PM
i had a resonator i got from cta pat welded into my cpe tbe, and it made a good difference. i would go that route if you want an exhaust, if you want stock you should have stayed stock lol

Carlisle
04-24-2008, 01:12 PM
okay so im getting the hint i should weld the resonator on. It should noticeably reduce the noise......

Fobio
04-24-2008, 02:13 PM
i had a resonator i got from cta pat welded into my cpe tbe, and it made a good difference. i would go that route if you want an exhaust, if you want stock you should have stayed stock lol

^^^good info

WeatherB
04-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Any idea where you plan on welding the resonator? I replaced one of the stock resonators with the new one. If you want super quiet, you'll need to fit that additional resonator elsewhere.

Some people have suggested replacing the 2nd cat with a resonator. Not sure how that would sound.

bongamk
04-24-2008, 11:14 PM
If you decide to take it off, I'd be interested in it....:chuckle

RallyPlaya
04-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Give it some time thats my advice mine got way quiter but stioll loud enough for my liking it always takes a while for it to break in.... but if youre into a quiter exhasut get a resonater they arent even that expensive

Carlisle
04-25-2008, 08:53 AM
with the resonator, do i replace the stock bottle style one that is already on the CBE? or do i slap on the resonator in another spot? (if there is another spot?)

Unoriginalusername
04-25-2008, 09:25 AM
i would add another if you want it to be quiter

alhope34
04-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Were you the guy at Jimmy's when I had the down pipe being put into my MS3? If so, what time did you finally get out of there? haha.

Carlisle
04-26-2008, 11:37 AM
yeah i was at jimmys.. lol i got outa there at 1030.. k so guys.. if i want to ADD another resonator (vibrant ultra quite) on the exhaust, is there place to add it on, instead of replacing an existing resonator that is already on the exhaust?... My girlfriend hates the noise it makes now

SilentJay
04-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Tried looking for a soundclip of an MS3 OEM exhaust on a 2.3 with a resonnator, but couldn't find anything.

mit-gee-mui
04-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Tried looking for a soundclip of an MS3 OEM exhaust on a 2.3 with a resonnator, but couldn't find anything.

I'm taking a WILD guess here.

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=224839&postcount=28

I don't think this is what you are looking for.

WeatherB
04-28-2008, 11:08 AM
I have some here... I can't remember if I deleted them or not:

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24138

SilentJay
04-28-2008, 12:38 PM
I have some here... I can't remember if I deleted them or not:

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24138

:( They were deleted

MattC
04-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Just let it rip as is, and tell everyone to deal with it or GTFO of your car.

SilentJay
04-29-2008, 04:55 PM
lol - as much as i'd love to do that, its my daily driver. I put a lot of hwy kms on it, so i'm pretty sure i'd tear out my hair with all that droning :P

Carlisle
04-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Yup.. im in the same boat... its my daily driver, i commute everyday from Richmond Hill to Mississauga. The droning is seriously giving me a headache.,.. I hope the resonator helps.. Jimmy is out of gas for the welding machine... Hopefully i can get it done by the end of the week

blackspeed3
04-30-2008, 05:10 PM
I dont know how anyone would find the speed3 exhaust TOO loud. Its really not at all.

RallyPlaya
04-30-2008, 05:11 PM
I dont know how anyone would find the speed3 exhaust TOO loud. Its really not at all.

You would be surprised how loud it gets on a normal mazda 3 completely different..... but the loudest ive heard so far is vibrant

blackspeed3
04-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Oh and not to thread hijack (sorry!) but i have a custom 2.5 inch mandrel bent catback exhaust I pulled off my '04 GT that I'm selling. exiting out of a sabre muffler and with a resonator. I'm asking 300 and would prefer local pickup. I'm located in sauga.

I'd post in for sale section but it wont let me :(

Thanks guys and sorry about the hi jack!

blackspeed3
04-30-2008, 05:19 PM
You would be surprised how loud it gets on a normal mazda 3 completely different..... but the loudest ive heard so far is vibrant

Ya seeing as I'm turbo rx-7 guy I should have clued in that the turbocharger keeps noise levels in check somewhat comparted to NA. The exhaust I just mentioned was quite loud before I put the resonator on it but with it it made it just perfect. Not civic ricey or loud either.

SilentJay
05-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Post sound clips when you have the resonator put in! :D

SilentJay
05-16-2008, 02:00 PM
^^?

Fiirkan
05-16-2008, 03:24 PM
I'd think adding the resonator would quiet it up a bit.

WeatherB
05-17-2008, 02:22 PM
SilentJay, I reuploaded my videos.

Check out the links in this thread: http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24138

Junchul
05-25-2008, 04:37 AM
so I'm negotiating the purchase of a MS3 exhaust now

I've read a lot about it, but is the 'droning' really that bad?

the reason i want to get this exhaust, or the others i've looked at like the borla or magnaflow, is specifically for more noise. The grown that is missing.

But is the droning so many complain about, really unbearable? Or are the people complaining just crazy? =P

p-o-g-i
05-25-2008, 11:29 AM
All of these performance exhausts that have been mentioned (OEM Speed3, Borla, Vibrant, Magnaflow, 5Zigen, etc.) will obviously be louder then stock. But as mentioned earlier in this thread, if the loudness is not to your liking, you could always add a ultra quiet type resonator (like the one vibrant offers).

I have the Vibrant cat back. At first it was a little too loud for my tastes. After about a week or so, it wasn't that bad anymore. I don't know if it was because I got use to it or because it was "worked in"..... nonetheless, it just didn't get on my nerves anymore. I did although end up installing the Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator (supplied by Patrique) as the request of my wife. To be honest, now it's a little too quiet for my liking.....

Moral of this story, adding a performance exhaust is not an exact science. You have to experience it for yourself. Everyone has different tastes. You can ask all the questions you want, but the only way to truly experience it is to either install it on your own car, or experience it on someone else's car who has the exact same ride.

One last note, automatic cars will sound louder then stick due to the constant air flow....

SilentJay
05-25-2008, 05:13 PM
SilentJay, I reuploaded my videos.

Check out the links in this thread: http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24138

Man, that sounds nice... How loud is that outside though?