PDA

View Full Version : 2008.5 known Stereo problem (Mazda has a fix)

hoodlum
04-24-2008, 03:14 PM
I noticed the following thread that talked about bass cutting out above a certain volume. Mazda in the US has recognized the problem and is replacing HU's when requested.

http://mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123699395&page=5

huyzel
04-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Interesting... I'll have to listen for this.
Thanks for the info

JiNuWiNe
04-25-2008, 01:42 AM
Are they replacing them in Canada too?

JiNuWiNe
04-27-2008, 11:31 AM
I've been enjoying the sound system and haven't notice the problem yet. The max I have it at it around 35 and the bass doesn't cut out.

Dragazn
04-27-2008, 12:35 PM
35????? :whoa

WOW, I usually just listen to the stereo around 8-10 for cds and mp3, 10-14 if its like AM680 cause the volume is really low for that. I don't usually past 15.

35 is crazy, unless you have an aftermarket system, I cant imagine the sound quality would be any good at 35.

ds2chan
04-28-2008, 12:12 PM

WOW, I usually just listen to the stereo around 8-10 for cds and mp3, 10-14 if its like AM680 cause the volume is really low for that. I don't usually past 15.

35 is crazy, unless you have an aftermarket system, I cant imagine the sound quality would be any good at 35.

I think the stereos have changed so the newer models you will have to turn it up to a higher number.. I have a 2005 (with stock stereo) and I don't go above 10 or 11.

JiNuWiNe
04-28-2008, 12:30 PM
And also I was playing music through Aux and I guess the volume on the ipod was not maxed out. Anyways, I am just loving the BOSE sound system. I wouldn't swap anything out anytime soon. Maybe just a 12" sub and an amp would boost the performance.

Notorious MS3
05-03-2008, 03:00 AM

I think on the older models the volume goes up to 32, on the 2008.5's it goes up to 60.

x_o_k_x
05-12-2008, 12:22 AM
35 would blow my ears out lol but yeah i guess the volume wasnt all the way on your ipod

DRMS
05-15-2008, 04:23 PM
I just bought a 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 and noticed the the bass cutting in and out right away (even before I read any posts), regardless of whether the ALC was on or off. I contacted my dealership and they had not heard of this issue before (quelle surprise!). I turned to the magical power of the interweb and found this and other sites describing the exact same problem. When I told my service department about this, they weren't at all interested in what I had found. In fact, they were almost combative. I then contacted Mazda Canada on Monday May 12th. They also weren't aware of the audio issue (has anbody on these sites actually been officially reporting this problem to Mazda Canada???), but they wanted me to forward them all the information I had found (including that Mazda US and Bose were aware of the issue). I just got a call from my dealership today (Thursday May 15th) and a new stereo head unit has been ordered. I'll send another message when the unit gets installed (they said it would take about a week for the new unit to come in).

The issue should now be in Mazda Canada's system, so hopefully you won't have any problems gettting your stereo head unit replaced, if you have this audio problem. And just to be clear - this is NOT a subtle issue and you do not need to be listening at ear-bleeding levels or have audiophile tympanum. The entire bottom end of your music just cuts out and sounds thin and tinny...and then when the bass cuts back in the music sounds full and deep.

Good luck!

DRMS

huyzel
05-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Welcome to TM3.
Superb first post.
I'm sure this will help many others.
Thanks!

DRMS
05-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your sage tutelage on how businesses work, Lars! Oh wait - there are these new fangled devices called...I think I've got this right..."computers". Apparently on them you can have "databases". They searched it. Nothing came up. I connected my dealership up with Mazda Canada and provided them with all the information I found. I'm getting a new head unit. Issue resolved in 3 days. Hence my comment "I then contacted Mazda Canada on Monday May 12th. They also weren't aware of the audio issue (has anbody on these sites actually been officially reporting this problem to Mazda Canada???". My apologies. It's morning. I'm grumpy.

DRMS

hoodlum
05-16-2008, 05:24 PM
I have found there is usually a large gap between when the US finds a solution to a problem and when Canada even becomes aware of it. This is not limited to Mazda. It unfortunate in this day and age (Computers/Internet again) that this information cannot be better linked. It would benefit everyone.

DRMS
05-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Yeah - I'm not talking about the great U.S./Canada divide - and I agree, hoodlum, that this is not just a problem with Mazda. What I am referring to is that I saw lots of posts (on this site and others) describing the exact issue I was having, yet no one said they had actually contacted Mazda Canada or resolved their issue. It will be interesting to see when the next person contacts Mazda Canada, if they will be aware of the issue now...or will they have to go through the same steps I just did. Please - if anyone on here does this, let us know how it goes.

While I wasn't pleased with the way I was treated by my dealership service initially - I am very happy with how I was treated by Mazda Canada, the service manager at my dealership and how quickly the issue was resolved. In this case, I DID feel that technology worked (thanks to the post I found on here and other sites).

DRMS

Ogata
05-17-2008, 10:22 PM
So its only noticible when your driving? I haven't cranked it up as I was driving with my parents though I will be soloing tomorrow and find out. Personally the BOSE lacks treble but the bass is pretty decent.

JiNuWiNe
05-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Weird, I've cranked it up to the 40s and I have no cut out. =/

RallyPlaya
05-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Yeah Mid 20's to 30's is good for me on a regular basis.... keep in mind im on my itouch 95% of the time... i have an 07 Gx when i max out there too much bass for the song to sound any good but its good for when your chilling outside the ride with the windows down

x_o_k_x
05-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah Mid 20's to 30's is good for me on a regular basis.... keep in mind im on my itouch 95% of the time... i have an 07 Gx when i max out there too much bass for the song to sound any good but its good for when your chilling outside the ride with the windows down

same here, didnt hve any problems yet although i only drove 300km since i bought this car few weeks ago. I'll see what happens..

livinlife
05-20-2008, 02:31 PM
I noticed the following thread that talked about bass cutting out above a certain volume. Mazda in the US has recognized the problem and is replacing HU's when requested.

http://mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123699395&page=5

Well going through this thread, apparently one of the dealerships have posted a service bulletin regarding the stereo problem. Here's the link: http:/
/www.finishlineperformance.com/store/pages.php?pageid=12 (http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/pages.php?pageid=12) - Audio Volume Level Unstable

Going into my dearlership in Sherwood Park and see what they say about it.

zmtomako
05-20-2008, 08:45 PM
I just cranked my stereo today and I definitely heard the bass cut out...
let me ask my dealer (I wonder who) and see what he says...

Ogata
05-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Well going through this thread, apparently one of the dealerships have posted a service bulletin regarding the stereo problem. Here's the link: http:/
/www.finishlineperformance.com/store/pages.php?pageid=12 (http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/pages.php?pageid=12) - Audio Volume Level Unstable

Going into my dearlership in Sherwood Park and see what they say about it.

Let me know what your result is. What level did you crank it to?

Jeff-TheBiz
05-20-2008, 09:00 PM
I just cranked my stereo today and I definitely heard the bass cut out...
let me ask my dealer (I wonder who) and see what he says...

No Canadian TSB at this point, I am sure it won't be long..

But realistically, it isn't the bass cutting out, it is your hearing.. Really who needs it louder than 30?

Cardinal Fang
05-20-2008, 09:10 PM

But realistically, it isn't the bass cutting out, it is your hearing.. Really who needs it louder than 30?

*Is reminded of the scene in Spinal Tap. "But this goes to 11."*

livinlife
05-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Went into the dealership today and even before I could describe my stereo problem he asked if it was the 34-35 volume problem with the bass cutting out. He said that there was a TSB out already for it and would order another head unit.

The volume at 34 is just above half when the max is 60 so it's not all that loud especially if you have your windows down.

livinlife
05-21-2008, 02:23 AM
Let me know what your result is. What level did you crank it to?

Anything past 34 you can notice the bass/volume dip sporadically.

TRICK
05-27-2008, 09:00 AM
I just picked up my car last Friday and the very first day I noticed a problem. The bass cut in and out and at times is over amplified. Playing with the ALC and Bass settings did nothing. It only seems to happen when playing the iPod through the aux. jack. I'll be paying my fav dealership a visit shortly :chuckle

Dave83
05-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Anybody have a link to the canadian TSB for this?

TRICK
05-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Well, stopped by the dealer today....service advisor had never heard of the problem. Told me I was too "mature" to be listening to the stereo at that level....made an appointment to take it in....will update after my appt. Not impressed with my first "service" visit....:bang

Bean
05-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Mine is a 2007 and it "only" goes to 35. I want 60 LOL

Face it, I may be old school, but I love loud music.

TRICK
05-30-2008, 07:01 PM
I hear you....and on this system, 35 is not very loud.

Update on my earlier post - it happens when playing the radio too. I adjusted my bass setting to -6 to see what would happen. As soon as you turn it up to 35 the bass kicks in like crazy.

Bean
05-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Well, stopped by the dealer today....service advisor had never heard of the problem. Told me I was too "mature" to be listening to the stereo at that level....made an appointment to take it in....will update after my appt. Not impressed with my first "service" visit....:bang

What dealer did you go to?

What an asinine comment. I am supposedly mature at 43 and I LOVE LOUD MUSIC

TRICK
05-30-2008, 10:08 PM
What dealer did you go to?

What an asinine comment. I am supposedly mature at 43 and I LOVE LOUD MUSIC

LOL! Well, I'm 47 and I've always "LOVED LOUD MUSIC" and I still do. Not to mention my 2 teenage daughters. And I still say....35 is not loud on this system....

It was MOT and I hope it's not a reflection of things to come....my buying experience was awesome (thanks Jeff!).

Bean
05-30-2008, 10:10 PM
LOL! Well, I'm 47 and I've always "LOVED LOUD MUSIC" and I still do. Not to mention my 2 teenage daughters. And I still say....35 is not loud on this system....

It was MOT and I hope it's not a reflection of things to come....my buying experience was awesome (thanks Jeff!).

Who was the guy who you dealt with at MOT? Ali?

How can I go about getting one of those new stereos installed in my car?

TRICK
05-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Who was the guy who you dealt with at MOT? Ali?

Actually he didn't give me his name, and I didn't even think to ask (was still in shock).

Bean
05-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Was he (sorry for saying this) White?

TRICK
05-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Was he (sorry for saying this) White?

Nope, Asian.

Bean
05-31-2008, 12:36 PM
It might have been Vincent

DRMS
06-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Well, I got the stereo head unit replaced in my 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 on Saturday (May 31st).

The good news: the stereo now works great and the bass doesn't cut in an out!

The bad news: they put a little gouge on the glove box door. So now I have to decide whether I want them to replace the door...or if they're just going to wreck something else when they do that. *sigh*

The service guy says there is still no Canadian TSB and that he put it through as regular warranty work. I printed off the U.S. TSB and brought it in to them for reference, though (as it outlines how to test and fix the issue).

I'm frustrated that I waited until the next model year to buy this car, thinking that they would have the first-year bugs ironed out. I guess not. I had this stereo problem that they had to open the dash for for. And I have the dash rattle that I've read about on these forums. Lord knows what they'll wreck if they tear open the entire dash. One of the reasons I bought a brand new car is so that it's pristine. Between these problems and the crappy gas mileage (I can almost see the gas gauge go down. Seriously.)...I'm beginning to regret buying this car.

DRMS

FoXy
06-02-2008, 03:47 PM
I am having the same problem with my 2008. For some reason i never found it to be that loud. I can turn is up to about 35 and its not that loud and my speakers are totally stock. There is a range between about 30 and 35 where it gets really quiet and once you turn it up to 35 it jumps noticably louder between 34 and 35. I am taking it in on friday to have it looked at. Hopefully it'll all be covered because I know I haven't done anything to damage it.

Does anyone know how long it should take them to fix it up?

DRMS
06-02-2008, 04:32 PM
I am taking it in on friday to have it looked at. Hopefully it'll all be covered because I know I haven't done anything to damage it.

Does anyone know how long it should take them to fix it up?

If you take a look at the U.S. TSB http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda3/bulletin/09-014-08-1945.pdf and you can see if your vehicle is affected by this issue from the VIN range they give and the software version of the stereo. If your car has this issue, it is covered under warranty.

The dealership has to order a new stereo head unit in (mine took a couple weeks to arrive) and about a 1/2 hour to install.

DRMS

FoXy
06-02-2008, 04:48 PM
So I'm guessing that i will have to take it in there and wait for them to screw around with it and tell me something that I already know. Thats ok, I printed off that paperwork and will bring it in with me. I'm only worried cus I'm going to a wedding on Friday and dont have all day to mess around with this.

I'm very glad that I am not the only one dealing with this problem.

I will be taking it to Ajax Mazda. I dont really know much about them as I got my car from Mazda of Muskoka but hope they dont screw anything up. :)

Flagrum_3
06-02-2008, 05:56 PM
You won't need any TSB papers with you if there is a problem with the radio, (but they wouldn't hurt either mostly, except some dealers take offense for some odd reason if you point them out,...TSB's that is).If your under warranty they should replace it, no questions asked.

Good luck!

_3

Mazda3X2
06-03-2008, 07:57 AM
My wife and I just pruchased a 2008.5 GT Sedan for her. She noticed this problem the first day she took it to work. I didn't think too much of it until I found this forum here. It has done it a couple times since.

When I mentioned it to the service assistant I get all of these excuses. I hate that,:bang. "It's a protection ciruit built in" & "It's becuase you're using the ALC, make sure that is off" Come on now. At least aknowledge that there just may be a problem, and just becuase you have yet to see it doesn't mean it does not exist.

Anyways, I imagine this is going to be a little bit of a journey to get this fixed. I ended up printing the US TSB and linking him a couple things for info. Wish me luck.

FoXy
06-03-2008, 09:14 AM
lol haha, yea Im sure that they MUST already have SOME clue as to what the problem is. I cant imagine that I am the only one who has gone in there. Unless some people just assume that its supossed to be like that. Whereas it irratates the crap out of me while I am trying to listen to music.

The woman at the service desk is like "oh well we dont know how long it will take, and you should just bring it in and give us an hour to try and figure it out...." blah bah blah... I mean come on now, its not rocket science. I dont know why they dont just admit to some sort of manufacturers defect as it arises. They know it happens....arggg...

TRICK
06-03-2008, 08:53 PM
The worst part is they don't even want to hear what you've read on the forum (do you expect us to fix every problem you've read about on the internet?????). Give us some credit people! We just purchased a new car and we have a problem and we're intelligent enough to research the net to see if it actually is a problem before we bring it into the dealer. No need to try and belittle us for having a brain.....just fix the damn problem! :loco

erratic
06-03-2008, 09:45 PM
I've been tying to listen to mine to see if I could notice what you guys are saying. I think I am one of the lucky ones without the defect.

PetiteJulie
06-04-2008, 08:53 AM
I've been tying to listen to mine to see if I could notice what you guys are saying. I think I am one of the lucky ones without the defect.

Same here! My car is the 2008.5 with the bose system. I put the sound up to 36 with a bass of +3 and ACL level 2...and I still don't hear the difference. I've been looking for the drop of the bass for 2 weeks now and I still can't hear it. Hopefully it will stay like that «knock on wood».

FoXy
06-04-2008, 09:09 AM
hahaha its so true. Its like "...you know not everything you read on the internet is real you know...." yea OOOK. Just fix the damn problem. Like really, after you just spend 20 grand on a car you think they would do you a favour if you have faulty merchandise. Its not like its my fault. I'm glad I came on and found out about it cus otherwise I probably WOULD have thought it was my fault.

DRMS
06-04-2008, 09:05 PM
You can determine or confirm that your car has the problem by checking your VIN and audio software version. If your car falls within the VIN range below and has the "Original" software - you could have the problem. This is from the U.S. TSB:

DESCRIPTION
On some vehicles, customers may report irregular bass operation from the audio unit where it is amplified abnormally or cuts out, regardless of the ALC (ON/OFF) or BASS setting. Concern may be most noticeable when volume level is set to 35 or more.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following procedures.

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2008 Mazda3 vehicles (including Mazdaspeed3) with VINs from JM1BK******100088 to JM1BK******141738 (produced from January 7 to March 28, 2008)

VERIFICATION PROCEDURE
1. Verify vehicle is subject to concern by the following:
• Vehicle is in subject VIN range.
• With ignition switch in ACC or ON position and audio system on, check the software version of the audio
system by pressing and holding AUDIO CONT knob and Preset 1 button. The software version is shown
in the information display.
2. Determine software version of the audio system.

Original Software Updated Software
Ver.1.00M3Su Ver.1.01M3Su (or higher)
Ver.1.00M3Cu Ver.1.01M3Cu (or higher)
Ver.1.00D3Su Ver.1.01D3Su (or higher)
Ver.1.00D3Cu Ver.1.01D3Cu (or higher)

If your vehicle is outside the VIN range and has the "Updated" software - you likely don't have this issue (or have a different one).

DRMS

Mazda3X2
06-05-2008, 07:29 AM
I decided to call the service manager to see where things sat with this problem yesterday. Last I heard he was going to "look into it" and get back to us. To my surprise he told me they had ordered a new head unit and would call when it came in. He said they weren't able to do the update to the software on his location for some reason. Works for me. I didn't figure it would go this smoothly.

PetiteJulie
06-05-2008, 09:01 AM
My car does fit in the VIN series listed which means I might be a victim. But, I just got back from looking at the software and it states...1.01M3CU! So I'm safe...till something else emerges.

Ogata
06-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Mine cuts out at 35 exactly.....

FoXy
06-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Ok so the woman at Ajax Mazda made this big ****in deal about me coming in there and having the car "looked at". So I booked an appointment for this morning for 7:30am. I go in there give her my info and she asks me whats wrong. I tell her and hand her the paperwork that I had printed off and gotten from this thread. She goes on about how its american and shyt but really it doesnt make a bloody difference. Long story short they didnt even look at the car they jsut ordered the part and I got to take my car with me.

I mean really now... Was that necessary?? I could have used that extra hour and a half of sleep.... :bang

She said it would prolli be longer than 2 weeks till they have it. :rant

huyzel
06-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Ajax Mazda sucks...
wathc out.. they might try to screw you when they install it and tell you it's not covered under warranty in canada... I wouldn't put this past those people.
get everything in writing... work order with $0... etc.

Glad to hear that you will be getting a new stereo.

FoXy
06-12-2008, 11:56 AM
yea **** that.... If they tried to make me pay for anything I would LOSE it on them. I mean I dont need this crap from them. Its a brand new car they should be trying to help me out. I signed a work order type thing, but it was just about ordering the part and whatnot. I'm sure once they call me and I go back in THEN I will get a new work order and read that over. But if they think they are going to screw me around..... yea, fat chance of that happening. lol Hopefully all goes well. :)

Flagrum_3
06-12-2008, 03:07 PM
You would think these people i.e; advisors etc; would get some kind of Customer Relations Training or something! I've read way too many complaints here about rudeness and indifference from too many of these so called Customer agents......its sad!

Foxy on the W.O you signed did it mention any payment and did it state they would cover it under warranty? .....like mentioned before you should make sure its covered under warranty before you waste more time going back there again....just a thought.

_3

TRICK
06-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Update....took my car in this morning...took them about 10 minutes to check it out..."Ali" was my service advisor and he came over and told me that they would order a new unit and give me a call when it came in....to be continued.

erratic
06-13-2008, 10:49 AM
You can determine or confirm that your car has the problem by checking your VIN and audio software version. If your car falls within the VIN range below and has the "Original" software - you could have the problem. This is from the U.S. TSB:

Ver.1.00M3Cu Ver.1.01M3Cu (or higher)

I have the Updated Software too.. Thanks for posting this. I guess I am the clear (for now)

FoXy
06-13-2008, 10:53 AM
So after you've had all the shyt fixed does it sound completely normal now and work the way it SHOULD....?? lol I keep it down below 30 and it really sucks right now.... :(

x_o_k_x
06-13-2008, 11:12 PM
I cranked my volume to 45 no sound distortion whatsoever and my VIN # fits into that category. I guess im the lucky one.

nl3
06-14-2008, 04:33 PM
In my case the bass doesn't drop off at higher volume it actually increases significantly when going from 34 to 35. My software is 1.00D3SU and the VIN falls within the range.

x_o_k_x
06-14-2008, 11:22 PM
In my case the bass doesn't drop off at higher volume it actually increases significantly when going from 34 to 35. My software is 1.00D3SU and the VIN falls within the range.

yeah same here, the volume sagnificantly goes up 34 to 35 and bass gets deeper and sounds alot better..

bcmazda
06-16-2008, 06:39 PM
New to this forum. Bought a 2008.5 Mazda 3 Sport GT w/Lux Pkg on Sat. June 13 out here in British Columbia. Great car accept for the Bose system. By Sunday the bass started to come and go. Called the dealership today and they will be looking at it on Wednesday. They can keep the car until the system is working the way it should. New car with 40km on it and already problems. Not good.

mackker
06-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 GS, and I am disappointed with not having MP3 capability, so my question is, if i am affected with the Stereo, will Mazda replace it with the new MP3 stereo?

Thanks

Bryan

FoXy
06-19-2008, 03:01 PM
So I'm taking my car into Ajax Mazda on monday to get the stereo replaced. They figure they will need it for a "couple hours". Whatever that means. Fine by me. Im not going to work anyways.

Let you know how it goes. I swear it better work PERFECT when I get it back. I need my music!! lol

FoXy
06-24-2008, 11:50 AM
I took my car in yesterday to have the stereo done.

Took a couple hours. But its all complete and it sounds fantastic. I looked and didnt see any scratches or **** ups in the interior. Also didnt cost me anything either, no hassle.

Overall... I'm happy.

:)

Flagrum_3
06-27-2008, 10:41 AM

Took a couple hours. But its all complete and it sounds fantastic. I looked and didnt see any scratches or **** ups in the interior. Also didnt cost me anything either, no hassle.

Overall... I'm happy.

Good to hear you got her all fixed up with no hassles! ....now its time for your next mod which is to upgrade that lousy stock audio system :chuckle

If your really a music buff, its a must imo.

_3

FoXy
06-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Good to hear you got her all fixed up with no hassles! ....now its time for your next mod which is to upgrade that lousy stock audio system :chuckle

If your really a music buff, its a must imo.

_3

For sure!! Its not nearly loud enough for me... I think I need to rattle some eardrums lol haha :bana

TRICK
07-02-2008, 11:05 PM

So I see it took you less than 2 weeks to bring your car in, have them order the part and replace it.....interesting.

I took my car in to MOT on June 12th and I'm still waiting to hear from them.....

TRICK
07-03-2008, 08:35 PM
...and amazingly enough I received a call today that my part was in! Funny how that happened :whoa

livinlife
07-05-2008, 01:59 AM
So I went into the dealership on May 21 and they ordered me a new head unit cause I have the stereo problem. I phone them last week and they still said that the unit wasn't in and that they are unable to track the part cause it's ordered through another company and it could take up to 2 months!!

I'm really patient with all of this but I think this is getting a little ridiculous!! Shouldn't take this long to order in a part?!

Any thoughts?!?!

TRICK
07-05-2008, 01:56 PM
I had an appointment this morning at 10:30 to get the HU replaced. I arrived at 10:00 - checked in with Kay - had a look around at the new cars (drool...) - a quick chat with Jeff! - and walked back to the service area. Kay got my attention right away and told me my car was ready. It was 10:40! Now that's service! Well done MOT. Cranked my stereo on the way home and it works great now. Treated my baby to a hand wash and dry and she's sparkling inside and out!

Dpostman
08-19-2008, 10:40 AM
When I bought the the car last month, thanks to this forum I found out that it was one of the cars affected by the stereo defect. When we pointed this out to the dealership, of course they played stupid and had not heard of this problem b4. But they very quickly conceded to the problem and ordered a new Head unit. Last week when it arrived, my wife brought the car to the dealership, and it took them 2 and a half hours, only to come back and tell my wife that when they pulled the old HU out, they scratched and damaged the surrounding fascia and scuffed the shifter knob. They said that they would order new knob and fascia and replace them. however, I checked out the new HU and although there is no more problems with the sound at different volume levels, the Trip computer no longer works and it does no play the MP3 cds that played in the old HU. All it does indicate that it is playing cd Track 1, and no sound comes out.

I think it says that it is Software version 2.02

dp

x_o_k_x
08-19-2008, 05:03 PM
When I bought the the car last month, thanks to this forum I found out that it was one of the cars affected by the stereo defect. When we pointed this out to the dealership, of course they played stupid and had not heard of this problem b4. But they very quickly conceded to the problem and ordered a new Head unit. Last week when it arrived, my wife brought the car to the dealership, and it took them 2 and a half hours, only to come back and tell my wife that when they pulled the old HU out, they scratched and damaged the surrounding fascia and scuffed the shifter knob. They said that they would order new knob and fascia and replace them. however, I checked out the new HU and although there is no more problems with the sound at different volume levels, the Trip computer no longer works and it does no play the MP3 cds that played in the old HU. All it does indicate that it is playing cd Track 1, and no sound comes out.

I think it says that it is Software version 2.02

dp

Thats not right.. They cant replace your HU with so old shitty one, tell them you want the same version you had before.
While I was saying mine is not affected, now I realized that it is affected.. So I scheduled for a service appointment as well as my head unit problem.. Just hoping they would replace HU with a proper one, because I have OEM mazda ipod adapter that will ONLY play at this version of head unit as well as I need my MP3s.

Dpostman
08-20-2008, 07:37 AM
I do believe that they put in a new HU, as the firmware of my old one was 1.00 and this one is 2.02 but it looks like it is defective. Or that I'm not burning my mp3 CDs properly, however, the ones I had, played in the other HU so...

Iceman_F1
08-25-2008, 08:45 AM
I just had mine replaced. Haven't checked the firmware but my MP3 CD played properly in the new stereo. Will check the firmware when I get home after work. So at least with mine, they replaced the stereo with the new model and the audio sounds right this time.

Dpostman
08-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Talked to dealership last thursday, and they are ordering a New HU... Again...
So now I wait. Will update when I get new one in.
dp

x_o_k_x
08-25-2008, 04:10 PM
So I did my 8k service and told them about my radio issues I even print out the TSB on volume control. And they guy says there is no problem with it. And that TSB is only for US vehicles and its not covered under Mazda Canada.:flaming:bang
Long story short he wants me to come back if problem arises and techincian will take a look at it. On my way home, I test it out and the problem still there. :complain

Iceman_F1
08-25-2008, 06:08 PM
So I did my 8k service and told them about my radio issues I even print out the TSB on volume control. And they guy says there is no problem with it. And that TSB is only for US vehicles and its not covered under Mazda Canada.:flaming:bang
Long story short he wants me to come back if problem arises and techincian will take a look at it. On my way home, I test it out and the problem still there. :complain

Weird, when I did that with my dealer (first 8K service), they didn't really question it. They just did the order and it was done.

Also, just checked my firmware, it says "Ver.1.01M3Su". Not sure if that's the highest, but that .01 difference in versions seemed to fix the issue for me.

mintegt
09-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Any updatesn this ???
Mines an 07 and its doing the same thing ???

mintegt
09-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Any updatesn this ???
Mines an 07 and its doing the same thing ???

lloydering
10-15-2008, 05:09 AM
Bought a 08.5 M3 from probart mazda in london in april.
Noticed issue immediately, they replaced as fast as it came in, no issues at all.

mazdas3sporte
10-15-2008, 07:10 PM
i dont think mine even goes to 60??? iam pretty sure 30-35 is maxed out, its an 08, it doesent fall under the vins they posted, is the new ones that go to 60 any louder then the old ones like mine?

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-15-2008, 09:43 PM
i dont think mine even goes to 60??? iam pretty sure 30-35 is maxed out, its an 08, it doesent fall under the vins they posted, is the new ones that go to 60 any louder then the old ones like mine?

Only the 08.5's and above have the Bose stereo option, or in the case of the Speed3, have it as standard equipment. They changed the stereo volume settings with the Bose and it does go to 60, whereas the previous Mazda models, the stereo would go to around 35 or 36.

My 08.5 MS3 was manufactured in May 2008, so this fix was already corrected in the factory I believe. If not, they must have corrected it at the dealer before i purchased the car, as I never experienced it and I regularly listen to music well within the 40 to 50 settings. I'm old and deaf too apparently...

I'd be curious to know the manufacturing date of the 08.5's that have experiened this issue to determine whether it was indeed addressed at the factory or not.

x_o_k_x
10-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Got it replaced few weeks ago, gotta say it sounds amazing now, alot better then other head unit.. And I thought I have crappy speakers. Anyone else noticed?

stefm3
10-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Got it replaced few weeks ago, gotta say it sounds amazing now, alot better then other head unit.. And I thought I have crappy speakers. Anyone else noticed?

Ya... the speakers are crappy.... Anyone upgrade them?

TRICK
10-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Only the 08.5's and above have the Bose stereo option, or in the case of the Speed3, have it as standard equipment. They changed the stereo volume settings with the Bose and it does go to 60, whereas the previous Mazda models, the stereo would go to around 35 or 36.

My 08.5 MS3 was manufactured in May 2008, so this fix was already corrected in the factory I believe. If not, they must have corrected it at the dealer before i purchased the car, as I never experienced it and I regularly listen to music well within the 40 to 50 settings. I'm old and deaf too apparently...

I'd be curious to know the manufacturing date of the 08.5's that have experiened this issue to determine whether it was indeed addressed at the factory or not.

How can you tell what the manufacturing date is? I picked up my car on May 16th and I had to have the HU replaced.

subliminally incorrect
10-25-2008, 10:06 PM
How can you tell what the manufacturing date is? I picked up my car on May 16th and I had to have the HU replaced.

the VIN has the manufacturing date code in there somewhere

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-25-2008, 10:59 PM

If you open up the drivers side door, look near the very bottom, lower right handside of the door. You should see a square white sticker/decal that has the VIN number, weight of the vehicle, body colour code and Made in Japan... It also says the date of vehicle manufacture under the date heading.

TRICK
10-26-2008, 08:55 PM
If you open up the drivers side door, look near the very bottom, lower right handside of the door. You should see a square white sticker/decal that has the VIN number, weight of the vehicle, body colour code and Made in Japan... It also says the date of vehicle manufacture under the date heading.

Found it. Manufactured in March 2008.

GTVic
10-28-2008, 04:35 AM
I don't have the bass problem, but my play/pause button does not pause while listening to CDs? Maybe it is not really a pause button, any ideas?

mazdas3sporte
10-29-2008, 10:48 AM
it should work, take it in to ur dealer to check, its as real as a pause button can get

ThucP
10-29-2008, 07:50 PM
what does alc mean and what does it do?

GTVic
10-30-2008, 01:41 AM
ALC is supposed to auto-increase the stereo volume when the road/car noise increases at high speed or in rain and auto-decrease when you come to a stop. The higher the ALC setting is, the bigger the change in volume.

I haven't decided if this works properly yet. Might be a gimmick like my pause button...

STeeLy
10-30-2008, 10:36 AM
ALC is supposed to auto-increase the stereo volume when the road/car noise increases at high speed or in rain and auto-decrease when you come to a stop. The higher the ALC setting is, the bigger the change in volume.

I haven't decided if this works properly yet. Might be a gimmick like my pause button...
Wow, I never knew that... that's pretty cool

ThucP
10-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Same here didn't know that either. I always have it on level 2

tierneco
11-11-2008, 08:42 AM
I also had the issue with the Pause button and cd's

the thing is the guy from mazda told me its not supposed to work for cd's it actually works for the satelite radio

you can pause the satelite radio for quite some times, its actually pretty cool but it does kinda suck that you cant for cd's

tierneco
11-11-2008, 08:44 AM
ok well my problem with the stereo...

i got the bose stereo system, and i do listen to the radio quite loud so i figured bose would be able to handle that

the passenger speaker started ratteling after about 2 weeks of having my car, brand new by the way.

so i bring it in, they told me i blew it out and the replaced it no problem.

then about a week later it started again, and i think its starting in the drivers side too

i find this quite pathetic, i went the extra mile and dollar to get this stuff and it breaks

luckily its under warrenty so i can keep going back as many times as i want

should i? ?

GTVic
11-13-2008, 11:43 PM
I also had the issue with the Pause button and cd's

the thing is the guy from mazda told me its not supposed to work for cd's it actually works for the satelite radio

you can pause the satelite radio for quite some times, its actually pretty cool but it does kinda suck that you cant for cd's
Yes, that is the same answer I got. What does it take/cost to get the satellite radio, is something installed in the car?

She_Prime
11-15-2008, 01:14 PM
I checked my VIN and my software and I fall into VIN range and have the outdated software. I did however turn my volume up to past 35 and I didn't hear any bass problems. Should I be worried still? Do you guys think I should still take it to Mazda anyway? Like complain mine is doing it too and just get it done as a precaution?

x_o_k_x
11-15-2008, 02:01 PM
I checked my VIN and my software and I fall into VIN range and have the outdated software. I did however turn my volume up to past 35 and I didn't hear any bass problems. Should I be worried still? Do you guys think I should still take it to Mazda anyway? Like complain mine is doing it too and just get it done as a precaution?

drive in the city with 35, or you should notice it as you turn the volume up thre is a big volume difference from 34 to 35. If it happens then you have the same problem

She_Prime
11-15-2008, 05:00 PM
drive in the city with 35, or you should notice it as you turn the volume up thre is a big volume difference from 34 to 35. If it happens then you have the same problem

like what sort of difference? Today is the first time I turned it above 35 and didn't notice any difference but does this problem occur gradually or right away? I've only had my car for about a week.

x_o_k_x
11-15-2008, 05:07 PM
after like 20ish the volume would go down a little then once you reach 35, music would scream at you lol
then once you drive set volume to 35 and you should notice when you brake and accelarate from 0-80, bass cuts off..And Im pretty sure it has something to do with ALS being at Level 3

She_Prime
11-15-2008, 05:24 PM
after like 20ish the volume would go down a little then once you reach 35, music would scream at you lol
then once you drive set volume to 35 and you should notice when you brake and accelarate from 0-80, bass cuts off..And Im pretty sure it has something to do with ALS being at Level 3

stupid question but how do you alter the ALS level? I'll check it out tomorrow night while highway driving back to school

x_o_k_x
11-15-2008, 05:36 PM
menu button on the left i think, just press it

She_Prime
11-15-2008, 05:42 PM

thanks for your help. Did you need to get your HU replaced? If so, how did it go?

x_o_k_x
11-15-2008, 05:44 PM
thanks for your help. Did you need to get your HU replaced? If so, how did it go?

yeah had it replaced, but I had to drive with electrician to show the problem. Then my radio was ordered no questions asked. Waited 3 weeks from Japan and then it was installed under warranty work.

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-15-2008, 05:49 PM
stupid question but how do you alter the ALS level? I'll check it out tomorrow night while highway driving back to school

Actually, it's the menu button on the far right, not the one on the left. Press it in a number of times to scroll through the various option settings and then you can turn the knob right or left to increase or lower the settings.

She_Prime
11-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Actually, it's the menu button on the far right, not the one on the left. Press it in a number of times to scroll through the various option settings and then you can turn the knob right or left to increase or lower the settings.

thanks. I'm unfortunately thinking the worst since I fall into both criteria.

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-15-2008, 05:54 PM
like what sort of difference? Today is the first time I turned it above 35 and didn't notice any difference but does this problem occur gradually or right away? I've only had my car for about a week.

Hi She Prime,

What is the manufacturing date of your car? I ask as all the Mazda 3's manufactured after March 28th, have this fix corrected in manufacturing. You can find the manufacture date of your car by doing the following:

Also, attached is a link to the TSB for this issue with more info.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda3/bulletin/09-014-08-1945.pdf

She_Prime
11-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi She Prime,

What is the manufacturing date of your car? I ask as all the Mazda 3's manufactured after March 28th, have this fix corrected in manufacturing. You can find the manufacture date of your car by doing the following:

Also, attached is a link to the TSB for this issue with more info.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda3/bulletin/09-014-08-1945.pdf

Thanks a lot for all your help. My manufacturing date unfortunately says March 08 (03/08) so more than likely I'm affected. As I said in the other post I'm going to check it out while driving soon.

Flagrum_3
11-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks a lot for all your help. My manufacturing date unfortunately says March 08 (03/08) so more than likely I'm affected. As I said in the other post I'm going to check it out while driving soon.

Your only affected if you have the problem! LOL....If your not noticing any weirdness from your audio system then it's alright! You can test the system by adjusting the ALS to the different settings i.e; levels 1,2 or 3 and then moving your volume up as your driving....That said, I wouldn't go racing in to the dealer because there's just a TSB on your car (if there's no symptoms) as they don't take kindly to that kind of behaviour....and could ruin your rep at the dealer! ......just a thought.

_3

She_Prime
11-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Your only affected if you have the problem! LOL....If your not noticing any weirdness from your audio system then it's alright! You can test the system by adjusting the ALS to the different settings i.e; levels 1,2 or 3 and then moving your volume up as your driving....That said, I wouldn't go racing in to the dealer because there's just a TSB on your car (if there's no symptoms) as they don't take kindly to that kind of behaviour....and could ruin your rep at the dealer! ......just a thought.

_3

I never said I was going to run to the dealer. I was asking for advice. As you know, I've only had my car since Tuesday and I didn't know how to diagnose the problem. But I do appreciate your advice. Just when my car fits into all three categories it's kinda worrisome.

Flagrum_3
11-15-2008, 08:41 PM
I never said I was going to run to the dealer. I was asking for advice. As you know, I've only had my car since Tuesday and I didn't know how to diagnose the problem. But I do appreciate your advice. Just when my car fits into all three categories it's kinda worrisome.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything, but just seen it before where some people would go into the dealer just because thier cars fell under 'the numbers' claiming it should be remedied only to be scoffed at.Test it out, hopefully everything is fine. :)

...and enjoy the ride!

You get snows yet?

_3

She_Prime
11-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything, but just seen it before where some people would go into the dealer just because thier cars fell under 'the numbers' claiming it should be remedied only to be scoffed at.Test it out, hopefully everything is fine. :)

...and enjoy the ride!

You get snows yet?

_3

don't get paid til next Friday next. But I will then. Do you have any suggestions on brand or where to buy from?

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-15-2008, 11:04 PM
don't get paid til next Friday next. But I will then. Do you have any suggestions on brand or where to buy from?

What type of driving do you mostly do, She Prime? Highway or city roads? Also, what is your driving style? Aggressive, moderate or relaxed/sedate? These things would greatly influence tire recommendations/choice, as does your budget of course.

Since you're in Hamilton, you might want to check out Kal Tire.

She_Prime
11-15-2008, 11:57 PM
What type of driving do you mostly do, She Prime? Highway or city roads? Also, what is your driving style? Aggressive, moderate or relaxed/sedate? These things would greatly influence tire recommendations/choice, as does your budget of course.

Since you're in Hamilton, you might want to check out Kal Tire.

I'd have to say moderate and I'll be doing A LOT of highway driving as of January. That said, any suggestions now? Budget is not really an issue either.

I was just driving now with the stereo past 35 and I didn't notice any problems. I'll still test it tomorrow on the highway.

stormin84
11-16-2008, 11:16 AM
She Prime the easiest way of determining if you need the stereo head unit is checking if you have the lastest version. If you have version 1.01*3*u
you mostly likely have the updated version. Too check what version you have :

With ignition switch in ACC or ON position and audio system on, check the software version of the audio
system by pressing and holding AUDIO CONT knob and Preset 1 button. The software version is shown

i have the 2008.5 model and i had the upgraded version and it doesn't cut out.

She_Prime
11-16-2008, 11:22 AM
She Prime the easiest way of determining if you need the stereo head unit is checking if you have the lastest version. If you have version 1.01*3*u
you mostly likely have the updated version. Too check what version you have :

With ignition switch in ACC or ON position and audio system on, check the software version of the audio

i have the 2008.5 model and i had the upgraded version and it doesn't cut out.

yeah I checked last night and my software is outdated.

stormin84
11-16-2008, 11:43 AM
then i guess your next step is to find out if it does cut out.

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-16-2008, 11:46 AM
I'd have to say moderate and I'll be doing A LOT of highway driving as of January. That said, any suggestions now? Budget is not really an issue either.

I was just driving now with the stereo past 35 and I didn't notice any problems. I'll still test it tomorrow on the highway.

Well, if budget isn't an issue, then the best snow tires on the market IMO, are the Nokkian Hakkapelita RSi's or the Hakk 5's. They will get you through any conditions our winters can throw at us and will last you a long time also. Kal Tire has almost exclusivity to these tires this season, so if they're not already sold out, you might find them there, but be warned, they ain't cheap. However, they are worth the money. Their only slight drawback is a tendency to be a little mushy and not razor sharp with responsiveness at highway speeds.

If you're doing a lot of highway driving where there will be lots of sunny/dry days and also days where the roads and highways have been salted and shovelled, you will probably want a harder winter tire that is a little more of a compromise between durability, highway performance and grip. A lot of the really soft winter tires (Ghislaved Nordfront, Hankook iPike 409, will provide you great grip on ice and snow, but will wear really fast, have some noise/hum and drive a little mushy at highway speeds.

If you go to this link and go to the first post in the thread from Allen at Simply Tire, he provides some information on a few winter tire choices:

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27766&page=17

For your mix of driving, you should probably be looking at Semperit Speed Grips, Hankook W411 KIngstar, Michelin X-i2 (overpriced) and of course the Nokian Hakkepilita's, which Allen doesn't carry.

Allen had really good things to say about the Semperit Speed Grips and I was going to put them on my Speed3, but I ended up with the Hankook Icebears instead as he didn't have the Semperit's in the sidewall size I wanted. The Icebears are more of a performance winter tire and they sacrifice some snow and ice grip as a result, which is why I don't think you should be looking at them. The best quality and value for money is probably the Hankook W411 Kingstar's and Semperits.

Hope this helps and good luck. You should definately get winter tires for your new 3 as the OEM all-season tires are actually frighteningly terrible in winter conditions. With it's stiff suspension too, the 3 really needs winter tires...

She_Prime
11-16-2008, 12:02 PM
not going to quote that vvv

But I just checked that link to the other thread and it said 2.3L GTs. I have a GS model sedan and it's obviously not a speed (if only they had a speed option in sedan body).

Maybe I'll just pop into Kal Tire next Friday on the way home from school and see what the people in the shop suggest giving my current driving profile. We shall see. I'll keep you all updated on the tire choices

She_Prime
11-16-2008, 12:03 PM
then i guess your next step is to find out if it does cut out.

indeed. And that shall happen tonight.

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-16-2008, 12:37 PM
not going to quote that vvv

But I just checked that link to the other thread and it said 2.3L GTs. I have a GS model sedan and it's obviously not a speed (if only they had a speed option in sedan body).

Maybe I'll just pop into Kal Tire next Friday on the way home from school and see what the people in the shop suggest giving my current driving profile. We shall see. I'll keep you all updated on the tire choices

Go under Simply Tire in the sponsors section and you will see a link for the GS and 2.0L engine. A lot of the same tires can be had for your car too. Good luck.

She_Prime
11-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Go under Simply Tire in the sponsors section and you will see a link for the GS and 2.0L engine. A lot of the same tires can be had for your car too. Good luck.

Oh ok, thanks! You are indeed awesome :)

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Oh ok, thanks! You are indeed awesome :)

Glad to help SP. Let us know what tires you end up deciding on and feel free to PM me also if you have any questions.

Flagrum_3
11-18-2008, 06:20 PM
IMHO, If you do alot of hiway go for the Semperits.

_3

jconforzi
12-09-2008, 04:54 PM
I just took my car in with this problem and they said there was a recall on all 2008 stereos.

they replaced it for free. be installed in a week.

talk to Bruce at Brampton Mazda, he is a good service rep.

greatwhiteshark
03-20-2011, 10:51 PM
oh man, i wish i'd found this thread before...

sharkbait
03-21-2011, 03:12 AM
oh man, i wish i'd found this thread before...

If there was a recall on the stereo take your bill (if you paid to get it fixed already) to your local dealership and see if they can give you a refund. Dont see why they wouldnt.
My dad did that for his tackometer in his truck. They gave him his money back even though he got it fixed out side of the dealership.

Mitchell3
03-21-2011, 11:59 AM
oh THATs what's wrong with mine.. Thanks for bumping this haha. Could they still do the fix if I have an alpine deck? Damn Guelph city Mazda pulled another fast one on me.

greatwhiteshark
03-21-2011, 11:48 PM
If there was a recall on the stereo take your bill (if you paid to get it fixed already) to your local dealership and see if they can give you a refund. Dont see why they wouldnt.
My dad did that for his tackometer in his truck. They gave him his money back even though he got it fixed out side of the dealership.

no, not fixed yet, it's just been annoying as hell since i noticed it. i was planning on upgrading the deck this summer anyways but now Kingston Mazda can fix it for free! I've got list of TSB's beside me waiting for em!!

Swerny
03-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Glad to find this thread.

I thought i was going nuts thinking the bass was cutting out.

Mind you, this was at lower volume....I have never had it up to 35.

2008.5 3 Sport GT.

jay jay
03-22-2011, 03:29 PM
They replaced my head unit just a couple weeks ago. Same problem bass was cutting out.

electricf3el
02-21-2012, 04:47 PM
im not sure if i have the same issue but am experiencing similar problem. I notice it happen more in the summer where the volume seems to cut in and out. It may be in my head but depending on how im driving the music is louder.. quieter . if I'm having the low volume problem ill floor it and sometimes the volume will go back to normal. ALC is off. Just remembered this while reading this.. hasn't happened in a while.
same issue?

Ogata
02-24-2012, 06:19 AM
This only applies when you crank your stereo past 35, the bass would cut out. Had my head unit replaced and issue was gone. (Be it that I've never cranked it past 28 but heck a fix is a fix)

zoomahh
02-24-2012, 07:03 AM

I was just reading this thread and I'll be checking this bass thing out.

In reference to everyone saying "who listens to music that loud", or "who needs it that loud" comments.....On my 2012, when the Bluetooth is connected to my iPhone and I'm using this method to listen to music (which by the way sounds pretty damn good for wireless transmission :D), I have to turn the head-unit up to about 25 for a decent listening volume (and it's by NO MEANS "earsplitting :headbang), and it's loud, but certainly not HOLY CRAP IM GONNA BE DEAF loud, and up to at least 30-32 to hear it louder so that's when the sound kicks in. It just equates to what volume I listen to when I plug my iPhone into the AUX, or when I play a cd...THEN the volume doesn't have to go higher than 10-12...Keep in mind it also has to do with what the output volume on one's source (iPod, iPhone, crackberry, etc) is set to. I know that virtually all members on this forum knows this...

However I do have to mention;
If your iPhone for instance is set to like 1/3 output volume, you will DEFINITELY have to crank the head-unit to at least 50-80, in order to hear it at a decent volume..... but then you'll be dealing with distortion etc. etc..... :chuckle

zoom_zoom_zoom
06-11-2012, 02:39 PM
I just bought my mazda3 and it has this issue. Just took it to the Milton Mazda dealer and they said that they will not replace the deck because it is outside the warranty. Now I'm stuck with this issue. (And for all those people acting smart, do understand that the sound level is messed up. At level 20 you barely hear anything and you need at least 28 to understand what song is being played. So please no more 'are you dead questions'. And if you want to listen to the music somewhat loud, you need at least level 35. Hence the problem.)

Anyways, did any of you ended up getting the software update? I have found on another forum that one person got the software update and it worked. I am thinking of the alternative of fixing this issue. Music is important to me, but I'm not ready to spend $1,100 to pay for the deck change myself....

Please advise. Thanks. :(