PDA

View Full Version : Buffers vs Elbow Grease

Cardinal Fang
05-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Thought this may be of use to some.

I have a buffer that I purchased at Canadian Tire and it has done me well for the 1st year that I've had it. I attribute this desire for power tools to millions of years of evolution of the male species. But after looking at what Kaval has done I want to make my process better and so I'd like to know what you guys do.

Typically, I wash, clay bar, remove swirls, polish then wax. I use my buffer to apply the swirl remover compound, the polish and the wax. Being careful to change the pad at every step. I then use good old elbow grease to remove the haze. At my age my arms hurt and I'd like to minimize this.

*Any jokes about my age gets you a 3 day ban*

My questions:

Is it better to use a foam applicator (yellow thingy) when applying the swirl remover, polish and wax compounds rather than cloth applicator?
Would my life be easier if I bought another buffer to do the cleaning step after the swirl remover, polish and wax rather than just using my arms? Typically the swirl remover takes the longest to buff out after it's formed the haze. The polish and wax come off rather easy.

yearoftherat
05-15-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm gonna get banned for this but the first thing I thought of was WAX ON WAX OFF!!

http://www.rubinville.com/dailydave/uploaded_images/miyagi-773738.jpg

For step 2 I'd would prb use a buffer to remove the haze...use the buffer you have now and change the pad...

Cardinal Fang
05-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah I tried that. I have the type of buffer that the spinning plate doesn't come off. I have to pull the pad off and put a new one on. There so tight that it frustrates me to the point that I think I could have buffed the haze out in the time it takes me to replace the pad.

Hold still yearoftherat.

*Looks around for the ban button*

yearoftherat
05-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Hmm i guess the question is do you want to spend the extra $$ on another buffer?

sicsol
05-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Personally, I apply every step with a foam applicator & then use a buffer. I fine it easier to have (2) buffers, as it's a pain in the ass to remove the cloth applicator with every step.

Cardinal Fang
05-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Hmm i guess the question is do you want to spend the extra $$ on another buffer?

Yes because the cost of a new arm and what I feel like afterwards isn't worth it anymore. :)

Flagrum_3
05-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Yes because the cost of a new arm and what I feel like afterwards isn't worth it anymore. :)

My first question is how hard are you rubbing when applying/removing everything? you should be using a very light pressure and no circular motions easier on the arms and better on the paint.What are you using now to apply the scratch remover? ...I would suggest a foam applicator is better (it spreads it out thinner and more evenly)....

Anyways keep an eye out, cause CT and other stores always have sales this time of year on buffers.

theurgy
05-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Spend the money and get the Porter Cable 7424... you'll thank me for it later.

Cardinal Fang
05-15-2008, 12:46 PM
My first question is how hard are you rubbing when applying/removing everything?

I don't think I'm using that much pressure and I do try to limit the circular motion as much as possible. I just want to get it done so what starts up as a constant pace ends up with moving my arms as fast as I can to finish up. It has to do more with the repetitiveness of it hurting my shoulder.

What are you using now to apply the scratch remover? ...I would suggest a foam applicator is better (it spreads it out thinner and more evenly)....

I currently using a vinyl backed cloth pad. It works well but I've read that foam pads are better and you seem to corroborate that.

Anyways keep an eye out, cause CT and other stores always have sales this time of year on buffers.

That's why I posed the question. I've got my eye on this cute baby that's on sale.

And no I wasn't referring to a girl.

SonicBoy
05-15-2008, 02:58 PM
What theurgy said. The Porter Cable is the way to go. A yellow pad may not be the right pad unless you are cutting some serious swirls. A lighter pad such as a black or blue would do. You can also get Micro fibre bonnets that cover over. With the DA and a proper backing plate, switching pads is easy as it is velcro. No need to buy another polisher. Just spend the money on pads and covers.

You also should remember where I got mine. The Porter Cable is way too expensive at CT. Look at our sponsor eshine.

Generally I use the Dual Action Porter Cable (DA) to apply and then hand/elbow greese with a micro fibre to remove. If you've done it properly, there should not be that much effort required. If so, you might be applying too much product with your DA.

theurgy
05-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Always get the random orbital polisher.... rotary polishers are harder to manage and you have to know what you're doing or else if you run it too fast or at an angle and you will burn your paint, get hazing and hologramming and risk permanently damaging your paint.
That's why I said the 7424 cause it's relatively safe as it's random orbital.
Eshine has the best prices in town.

As for what pads to use... orange whould be only for heavy cutting and severe issues, yellow should be used for standard swirl removal, you can sometimes step down to white if it's not to bad. White is polishing. The black finishing is really just too much you can do the rest by hand as long as not too much product is applied.

That's it.