PDA

View Full Version : Scangauge II

alhope34
05-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Well, I borrowed a Scangauge II from a friend the other day. It is an OBDII code reader and info display similar to the Daskhawk. There is also an instantaneous HP display it puts out, but I don't know how accurate it is. I'm assuming it calculates for crank HP because of the numbers I got. First we took it out in one of my other friend's 1997 Acura TL 3.2L V6. It's rated for 220hp stock, the Scangauge said 178, 176, and 172hp. It's really low because the Acura has 330,000kms and a blown head gasket on it. Next was my MS3, only me in the car. My mods are in my sig. The Scangauge showed 315, 306, then 308 for me. This was in 3rd all 3 pulls. How accurate do you guys think this is for at crank HP with my mods?

Also, if any of you guys have CEL's on your car, I can set a meet date for next week end and I can read all the codes and delete them from the ECU. You can then look up what the codes mean, see if anything is seriously wrong with your car. It doesn't HAVE to delete codes, just an option. It can scan and leave them there for the dealer to see for warranty work.

Anyway, the offer is there to anyone.

Unoriginalusername
05-20-2008, 08:02 AM
same as a dyno, to get the closest reading you need to be in the gear that is closest 1:1 which would be 4th or 5th as there isn't a multiplier effect of the gear ratio

In terms of accuracy i think the deal is take your whp and multiply it by 15% to get a crank number, for me last year with a tbe and cai i got 274whp which using that math would be 316 crank hp

Wild Weasel
05-20-2008, 08:05 AM
What does a scanner know about hp though? What parameters would it use to calculate this? Does it ask you for the weight of the car or anything and then work it out based on acceleration or some such thing?

Unoriginalusername
05-20-2008, 08:09 AM
What does a scanner know about hp though? What parameters would it use to calculate this? Does it ask you for the weight of the car or anything and then work it out based on acceleration or some such thing?

The Cobb AP will be adding this feature for the MS3 later this year... not sure how it works though as i had the same questions

MajesticBlueNTO
05-20-2008, 09:22 AM
same as a dyno, to get the closest reading you need to be in the gear that is closest 1:1 which would be 4th or 5th as there isn't a multiplier effect of the gear ratio

In terms of accuracy i think the deal is take your whp and multiply it by 15% to get a crank number, for me last year with a tbe and cai i got 274whp which using that math would be 316 crank hp

not necessarily true. there is still the multiplier effect of the final gear and tire diameter ratios.

the gear closest to 1:1 gives the dyno software the most data points to work with to create a smooth curve.

if the dyno software is good enough to take into account gear ratios (and various other variables), you should be able to dyno in any gear and obtain very near the same numbers.

as for the scangaugeII, it displays instantaneous HP and doesn't graph it like other OBDII scanners/tools.

Gizzmo_jr
05-20-2008, 09:51 AM
My Dashhawk can do realtime HP, but you have to input drag coefficient, vehicle weight, and front square footage to get it right.
I should see what mine says, never peaked as I assumed it would be way off. Real numbers come from real tools, go to a dyno.

alhope34
05-20-2008, 07:08 PM
This thing just plugs in and goes. Don't know how it works.